PDA

View Full Version : The race to the 3rd and 4th Roland Garros seeds may be largely influenced by...

disposablehero
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:35 AM
The rankings after Hamburg. These will determine the seedings for Rome, where Monica, Kim, Martina, and Serena are all committed.

joao
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:21 AM
Don't forget Berlin (TierI) where Hingis and Serena are commited to play (Hingis has SFists points to defend there but Serena has no points to defend, just adding)!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

disposablehero
Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:37 AM
My point is that their schedules are all relatively close, but the seedings for Rome could be a big issue.

~|Naomi|~
Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:38 AM
Kim is also scheduled to play Berlin:)

Williams Rulez
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:16 AM
I don't see how the seedings for Rome will play a big part... :confused:

GoDominiqu
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:33 AM
Honestly I think that sometimes too much emphasis is put on the Grand-Slam-seedings.

As far as I remember, Monica played so much before last year's US Open to get the 8th seeding. But what's the benefit of being high-seeded if you lose in the 4th round because you are too tired of the events before ?

To win a GS, you have to be able to beat anyone. Serena has just shown that the seeding doesn't matter that much.

Ms. Lively
Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:46 AM
I don't think there is much difference between 3-4 seed and a 5-6 seed. They all have tough QF matches.

Rollo
Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:21 PM
Good post Go Dominique-I find myself caught up in that trap too, but when I think about you are correct:)

Ps-I still hope Monica gets her 4th seeding trhough:)

Zamboni
Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:34 PM
I think seeds 1-4 are equal, 5-8 are equal and 9-16 are equal.

I wouldn't care too much if I was 2nd seed or 4th seed, but that would depend on who would be in my half ;)

Pureracket
Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:14 PM
Trust me. Seedings do matter quite a bit in the Grand Slams. Take the Aussie Open. Do you think a person would rather have JenCap in the 4th rd. or would rather have a chance of getting her in the qtrs.? Again, I would imagine a player would rather be seeded in the top 4 rather than have a chance of playing Venus in the qtrs. at Wimbledon.

Yes, a player does have to be able to beat everybody, but what Serena did was special, not the rule.

joao
Apr 4th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Of course seedings count! :confused: How many players do you think are able to beat the #3, #2 and #1 in a row????? Not a lot! So if your chances of doing it are slim you better have a good seed! Otherwise there's a big chance you'll have those 3 in your way and probably a big chance that you won't make it as far as you'd like!!!!!

Being seeded 1/2 or 3/4 is definitely not the same! There are advantages of being seeded 1/2 over 3/4....#2 will meet #1 only in the finals while 3/4 will meet #1 or #2 in the SF!!! The same goes with 5-8 who will meet , no matter what, the top4 seeds in the QF (provided that everybody reaches that level!)

On the other hand there is no real advantage of being #1 over #2 (besides maybe having an extra day to rest!), or being #3 over #4, or again being #5 over 6/7/8.....

E. Blackadder
Apr 4th, 2002, 08:39 AM
I think (when I see that Kim & Seles are playing a lot of tournaments) the seeding will look something like that

#1 J. Capriati
#2 V. Williams
#3 K. Clijsters / M. Seles
#4 K. Clijsters / M. Seles
#5 S. Williams
#6 M. Hingis
#7 J. Hénin
#8 J. Dokic
#9 A. Mauresmo
#10 S. Testud

Assuming that Lindsay won't play beacause of her injury

The battle for the #3 seed will take place between Seles and Clijsters, that's for sure