PDA

View Full Version : Every player worst nightmare...

Fingon
Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:56 AM
for the French Open. We know they changed to 32 seeds so the top player wouldn't face a dangerous opponent in the first and second round.

However, the French Open has something special, it's on clay. And there are a lot of players who don't get very good results on the other surfaces and then, their ranking isn't good (out of the top 32) but are very dangerous on clay

This is a list of possible first round opponents that would be a real pain to have in the first or second round

Conchita Martinez
Petra Mandula
Paola Suarez
Katarina Srebotnik
Iva Majoli
Mary Pierce
Anna Kournikova
Marta Marrero
Lina Kras.. Kras.. Krasnoroutskaya
Virginia Ruano Pascual (this one for Martina ;))
Barbara Schwartz
Tathiana Garbin.

I wouldn't like to have any of those players in the first round.

LucasArg
Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:59 AM
You re right, Roland Garros is unpredictable.

I don't like very much clay court matches, cos' sometimes they are too long and bored. But I love it when an unseeded player makes a big upset. I love those rallies to death:p

I hope Venus can do better here than last year. Maybe she can win this year:wavey:

Sonja
Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:59 AM
I agree - All of those listed are tough opponents! (lol @ the lina k thing)

V.Melb
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:15 AM
and Kveta Hrdlickova, Anna Smashnova - and a whole other host of european girls who beat higher ranked opponents on clay.

My fave - Tammy Tanasugarn can't win a match on clay! - she lost ALL her matches on clay last year - losing to opponents ranked 100s below her~!

She also just lost to Ruano 1-6 3-6! :( :( :(
I lost yesterday on clay 1-6 2-6! :( :(

Clay is definently my worst nightmare!

hhx
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by VivalaSeles
If Mary returns to her old form, she would be the biggest of nightmares ... I just hope darling Mary will be on the opposite side of the draw in relation to Monica's :o

Mary was a threat. But at present, i don't think she can make some noise in RG this summer.:o

Zhao
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:29 AM
well it really depends on her how determined she is....won her match clay match convincingly n i think she should be able to cause a few upsets in Roland Garros

Dawn Marie
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:53 AM
Didn't Martina Hingis's already come true in the 1999 Roland Garros Final? Now that would be my favorites worse nightmare ever.

alessandrochus
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:49 AM
I'm pretty sure that Mary will be seeded in paris, maybe as number 32

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

spyro
Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:08 AM
I think the worst nightmare of every player is to be defeated at the First Round in each tournament she/he plays ( Is It Anna K Nightmare ??? Whatever :p )

SM
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:25 AM
Gala Leon Garcia , Magui Serna and Angeles Montolio could also cause problems for some of the seeds..

Benny
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:35 AM
I am with you Vixen - I hate CLAY:mad: :mad:

Bad for me...................Bad for Tammy:mad: :fiery:

Ms. Lively
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:41 AM
You need the luck of the draw to win Roland Garros. Anna Kournikova? I wouldn't add her to that list.

marshmellow
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:31 AM
i love anna and will support her to death. but at her form right now, i don't see her causing any upsets at all.

this may all change with next week though. hopefully things do change :bounce:

Kart
Apr 5th, 2002, 07:47 PM
I agree with VivalaSeles :) completely - Mary Pierce is the one player I don't want Monica to draw :eek:.

Aside from ASV and Hingis, Pierce is the only other active player that has beaten Seles in Paris.

victory1
Apr 5th, 2002, 08:04 PM
Pierce is also a player that I don't want the Williams sisters to draw, after that I think they'll do fine!!

Frau Antje
Apr 5th, 2002, 08:50 PM
the worst nightmare for every player is definately a double bagel

saki
Apr 5th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Add Virginie Razzano to that list!

She's doing great in Sarasota at the moment and has the young fearless thing going for her.

Monica_Rules
Apr 5th, 2002, 09:01 PM
Too true Iva in the 1st round would be hell!

Williams Rulez
Apr 6th, 2002, 02:07 AM
I suppose, all those former RG champions hanging around here UNSEEDED?!! :eek:

Mattographer
Apr 6th, 2002, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by alessandrochus
I'm pretty sure that Mary will be seeded in paris, maybe as number 32

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:
She won't be seeded at Roland Garros cause she is in outside Top 200 now!

Scotso
Apr 6th, 2002, 02:36 AM
But doesn't Mary have her injury protection? Can she not use that at RG?

Yes, saki, Razzano is dangerous... she beat Huber last year and gave Henin a good match.

Numerous French players are deadly especially with home town support.

Nathalie Dechy may not be seeded... Stephanie Foretz is always dangerous... Marion Bartoli is extremely talented and I'm pretty sure they'll give her a wildcard.

Vive la France! :D

ajayares
Apr 6th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Scotso
But doesn't Mary have her injury protection? Can she not use that at RG?

No, that is injury protection into the field, not seeding, that doesn't exist..

Yeah I am sure all the top 32 seeds would want to play Anna kournikova in the first Rd..

Just when is the French Open??? 28th May I thought, but obviously it is played next week according to some people :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 6th, 2002, 01:02 PM
just read this for info

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4294