PDA

View Full Version : Why did Melanie Gloria get a WC

Drake1980
Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:40 PM
I think it's great but I don't get it. I don't think she won a feed up challenger or anything.

Captain.Canada
Apr 24th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Her parents are Portuguese. I've heard that she has dual citizenship.

bullet proof
Apr 24th, 2005, 12:51 AM
It's true she's canadian-portuguese and since the best portuguese woman at the rankings ins't available she toke her spot, all the others are way below in the rankings

Drake1980
Apr 24th, 2005, 01:17 AM
hope she will still play for canada

Paldias
Apr 24th, 2005, 03:57 AM
Actually the tournament invited all Portuguese-rooted players to play in a mini-tournament for a WC. The winner of the tournament would recieve the WC, so I guess Mel Gloria got it! :) Congrats Mel! :yeah:

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 24th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Mel actually lost in the finals of that tourney to Silva, but none asked for the Gold/Silver, so she got a spot in there!

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 24th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Actually im wrong, Dokic took it, it was Piedade withdrawing that gave Mel a spot in the draw! She would ahve been in qualies anyway, with a solid chance to qualify!

And don't worry, i don't see her playing for Portugal in the near future, even the far future ;)

guycan
Apr 25th, 2005, 12:05 AM
Yeah Melanie!!! Hope she can pick up where she left off in Quebec City last year. And yes, I do hope she continues to play for Canada, unlike Beier Ko who now plays for Singapore (although i don't blame her if the funding is better)

polishprodigy
Apr 25th, 2005, 03:07 AM
Actually im wrong, Dokic took it, it was Piedade withdrawing that gave Mel a spot in the draw! She would ahve been in qualies anyway, with a solid chance to qualify!

And don't worry, i don't see her playing for Portugal in the near future, even the far future ;)

I thought Gloria got a spot in the Pre-qualifying because of Piedade's withdrawal. That was in the post when the pre-qualifying draw was posted. But your explanation makes more sense, as Silva and Gloria were the two WC's.

Anyway, great opportunity for Melanie!