no offence but i think she is also the only top 10 player to get a bagel

moon
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:45 AM
and more than one at that...

joao
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by Zhao

no offence but i think she is also the only top 10 player to get a bagel

Actually Hingis got bagelled twice this year already (by Bedanova at Scottsdale and by Serena at Miami) but she's not the only one in the top10.............Mauresmo got bagelled by Venus at Antwerp and Dokic got bagelled by Kremer at IW!!!!!!!!

But I think the most interesting is to emphasize the quality of the players bagelled!!!!!!! Because to bagel a top100 or a top10 is definitely not the same!!!!!!!!!

Hingis : 8 bagels (Stevenson, Poutchek, Lee, Black, Talaja, Farina Elia, Coetzer and Rittner)

Venus : 6 bagels (Coetzer, Myskina, Mauresmo, Kournikova, Maleeva and Hantuchova)

Seles: 5 bagels (Sugiyama, Sucha, Sharapova, Montolio and Pratt)

Henin: 5 Bagels (Serra-Zanetti, Dementieva, Hantuchova, Conchita and Pratt)

Capriati: 2 bagels (Panova and Daniilidou)

Serena: 2 bagels (Hingis and Srebotnik)

Mauresmo : 2 bagels (Weingartner and Lee)

Clijsters: 1 bagels (Husarova)

So far only Venus and Serena bagelled a top10 this year (besides Bedanova and Kremer....but they're not top10)!

JCFan
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:18 AM
That's pretty interesting. How is it Martina can crush everyone in early rounds, then get bageled herself later on?

Now who was double-bageled so far this year?

Dawn Marie
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:48 AM
I like this stat of Serena and Venus:):eek: Especially Serena's over Hingis.. cause Hingis is no slouch. In fact it seems that Serena is about the only top player or player who dishes out Bagels to Hingis. I didn't want Vee to bagel Momo cause Amelie is such a sweet person. I wonder if we can get stats on which top 10 player has had the most bagels against them the past 2 years?2001-2002.

GoSandrine
Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:32 AM
wow Martina! :eek:

Sandrine has three so far. ;)

disposablehero
Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:34 AM
joao, Justine has 4 bagels, you missed Conchita at Gold Coast.

Dawn Marie
Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:41 AM
I also like the fact that Venus and Serena have a total of 8 bagels and el-zero receiving this year. *knock on Wood*

Monica is in great shape too.. gave 5 bagels and received none. VERY IMPRESSIVE VEE, SERENA AND SELES.:)

matthias
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:12 AM
it isnīt important to bagel a opponent, it isnīt a free-ride for the next round.

Dawn Marie
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:32 AM
Well it is a good thing in a final:) I think bagels imho can make a statement especially over top ten opponents. Serena for instance has bageld 2 people in the same tournament over good quality players.. imho that is stating something.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:16 PM
Venus and Serena have the ability to dominate their opponents, but generally not for an entire match. This is evidenced by their lack of double bagels.

Serena has one. In 1998 at LA, she beat Larissa Neiland 6/0, 6/0.

Venus has never had a double bagel. She's had a few 6/0, 6/1 (Miami last year, lead Pitkowski 6/0, 5/0 and Pitkowski won a game).

Also in Chicago 1997, the pair gave a double bagel to Iva Majoli and her partner in doubles - 6/0, 6/0.

Usually, Venus and Serena have at least one or two games where they hit 3 or 4 unforced errors in a row. They can't hit winners all the time ;)

In the meantime, Hingis is a very very consistent player who dominates those outside of the top 20. And I do mean dominate. She, in my opinion, has the best chance to give double bagels to players.

JCFan
Apr 4th, 2002, 05:22 AM
How about bagels during the final? That has got to be very rare, especially double bagels. I just read that Graf beat Zvereva 6-0 6-0 in the 1988 French Open final! :eek: That is something.

treufreund
Apr 4th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Martina has also served up a lot of breadsticks this year. Btw, a breadstick is a 6-1 set if any of you did not already know that.

Martina Hingis 11
Jennifer Capriati 5
Monica Seles 5
Venus Williams 4
Kim Clijsters 4
Serena Williams 4
Justine Henin 3
Amelie Mauresmo 3
Jelena Dokic 1

Grice
Apr 4th, 2002, 09:37 AM
this question has always been burning inside me... can someone help answer?

What is it about Martina's game that makes her run over her opponents so easily esp. players below the top 10?:confused:

thefreedesigner
Apr 4th, 2002, 09:51 AM
1) Gap between Top 10 and rest of the tour is very big.
2) Gap between Very Top ('Elite') players and rest of the Top 10 is pretty big
3) Players that can bounce Martina off the court who are not in the Top 10 are either

i) too inconsistent
ii) young, and still getting experience

4) it's not only Martina that steamrollers through early rounds
5) Martina's anticipation is the key to A LOT of her success, so if you fall in 1) or 3) Martina will most likely eat you alive.

I think.

Grice
Apr 4th, 2002, 09:59 AM
thefreedesigner: Thanks for ur reply.
cos i'm baffled how she rolls over players like Coetzer who is supposedly a good defender too?
and Stevenson, power + good serve.. Hingis also rolled over her?

treufreund
Apr 4th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Actually the answer is simple (and no I am not objective) but Martina's game is different from most players. The other players are accustomed (somewhat) to the style of the big babes (just with less power or more errors from other players) but against martina they are up against a style of play that confounds them. They feel that they have Martina on the defensive but actually she is still in control of the point. Her game is immaculate and she has many different game plans. Her all-court style is just too good for most players. Also Martina makes fewer errors than the big babes so if she can beat you on most points while making few errors then you are not likely to win many games against her. The real question is why isn't Martina having better success against the power players and that has to do with confidence more than anything IMO.

2ace2
Apr 4th, 2002, 06:56 PM
I think Martina is a more complete player than Amanda and a little better in almost every aspect of the game, that's why it went so easily for her.
I also think that Alexandra needs to gain some experience and I suspect that their next encounter won't be over that quickly
:)

joao
Apr 4th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by disposablehero
joao, Justine has 4 bagels, you missed Conchita at Gold Coast.

Actually I checked it out and Henin has 5 bagels.....I missed Conchita at Sydney and Hantuchova at Gold Coast!!!! Thanks for correcting me though!!!

SM
Apr 5th, 2002, 07:34 AM
jelena nearly had two in the same match :sad:
oh well 1 will do.congrats on the 6-0 6-1 demolition of smashnova!!!!!! :)

King Aaron
Apr 5th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Its now ......

Jelena Dokic :

Bagels: 1
Breadsticks: 2

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Apr 5th, 2002, 01:27 PM
I was wrong about Venus not having any double bagels.

In 1997 Eastborne qualifying, first round: Venus defeated Wiltrud Probts 6/0, 6/0.

Also in 1997 at San Diego qualifying she beat another player (name forgotten) 6/0, 6/0.

Still lacks a main draw double bagel, but oh well :)