PDA

View Full Version : Awe inspiring moments in tennis

MLF
Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:37 PM
What match left you sitting there thinking wow, what a performance by an individual. For me ( though it's so long since I saw it as a kid ) I just remember Navratilova looking unstoppable whe she crushed Chris 6-3 6-1 in the French Open '84 final. I remember thinking wow and it was one of those performances when you know something special was happening.

Mark43
Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:42 PM
I always think of Mary Pierce killing Steffi Graf 6-2, 6-2 in the French Open semis, 1994. Mary was blasting winners off of Steffi's legendary forehand and simply out hitting Graf in every department. Graf did not play poorly. Mary was in the zone and it was like nothing I had seen before or since.

veryborednow
Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:43 PM
I haven't been a tennis fan long, but the Austrlains Open final 2001 was amazing. The fact it was Jen's first Grand Slam Final didn't seem to phase her as she played a faultless match, winning 6-4 6-3. Bliss!!

To go so far ... and to come back so great

http://images.fotki.com/v1/free/1b15/1/18997/39658/Aus_78-or.jpg

MLF
Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:48 PM
That Pierce performance was great. Mary's had a great career but never on a par with what looked possible that day. That's what makes a performance awesome for me is that whenever the other player is powerless in their performance to do anything about the onslaught. For example I'm sure someone will say Hingis 6-1 6-1 over Venus in Oz 2000 but Venus just didn't play that day. Evert and Graf were helpless in the two performances mentioned.
As for Capriati's first slam title. That was one of my happiest tennis moments. Not quite the thrill I felt for Sabatini's US title though.

Yonexfan
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:51 AM
The most dominant match I saw played was the final of Hilton Head in 2000 when Mary Pierce allowed Aranxta Sanchez Vacario only one game. I had never seen Mary perform so consistently for an entire week.

Experimentee
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:01 AM
When Serena beat Hingis 6-3 6-2 in the semis of the US Open. She looked so dominant that day, she was winning about 100% points on her first serve....there was nothing martina could do.