PDA

View Full Version : If Mary and Lindsay

Mark43
Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:33 PM
come back as strong as they were before all the injuries, will women's tennis be at an all time high? I, for one, think so. As much as I loved the 70's and Evonne Goolagong/Chris Evert battles, I think there has never been as many serious contenders as there are right now. Add Mary and Lindsay back to the mix with Jennifer, Venus, Martina, Monica, Serena and Kim and you have eight women who have a good shot at any title they play.

Can anyone else think of a healthier time in women's tennis? I really enjoyed when Steffi began threatening Chris and Martina but that was only a three way battle for a few months before Graf was killing everyone. In the early 90's I loved when Gaby was pushing Graf and Seles, but she was never a consistent threat. There have always been periods where there are at least 3 people that can win at any time but has there ever been a time when there are this many contenders????

Rollo
Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:42 PM
It's been very wide open since Hingis last dominated with 3 slams in 1997, I'll say that. There are no sure bets these days. Still, until someone not named Jennifer or Venus wins a slam the contenders
are still pretenders. Overall though I agree Mark-it's a sunny time for the women. It's very possible we might see Serena, Monica, or even Hingis return and win a major.

A healthy return for Mary and LD will only make it better!

Ps-I'm still envious you saw that Seles-Capriati match in Miami-we all loved the write-ups:)

auntie janie
Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:55 PM
Add Mary and Lindsay back to the mix with Jennifer, Venus, Martina, Monica, Serena and Kim and you have eight women who have a good shot at any title they play.

Very true, and very exciting! BUT, don't forget about Amélie! She can go toe-to-toe with the best of 'em! :)

Daniel
Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:58 PM
*cough* *cough* Please don't forget Justine Henin!!!!

;) :) :)

paigery
Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:18 PM
Healthy womens side for sure, the matches don't get much better than what we have seen in 2002, and add two more dominant players and things will be all shook up. I wonder if Steffi wishes she had stuck around for this...........................

Williams Rulez
Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:12 AM
That's right... we just have so many contenders right now... :D

Jan
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:35 AM
A strong return for both Lindsay and Mary can only make things better and they are pretty good at the top right now.

Jan
:wavey:

timmbo
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:45 AM
Not only the ladies that have been mentioned are always contenders, but then we can also figure in some of the ladies outside of the top 10. I dont ever remember a time when someone ranked 12 or 13 could really challenge a top 5 or 6 player. I think that players like Meghan and Sandrine can beat any of the top players when they are playing well. And cant forget about Lucic or even Alex. I think that the top ladies are now getting tested earlier than maybe the 4 round or quarters.

SM
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:54 AM
definately...also Hantuchova and Dokic are the real deal :)!

i really hope Mary keeps it going and is fully rejuvenated cos i mssed her, she was out way too long :)