PDA

View Full Version : Fed Cup Mess

Postcard
Apr 16th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Am I having a nightmare?!? Is it 1 April?!?

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Tennis/Pratts-exits-Fed-Cup/2005/04/16/1113509968649.html

Pratt's exits Fed Cup
By Will Swanton
April 17, 2005

Nicole Pratt's shock withdrawal from this week's Fed Cup play-offs in India was the result of Tennis Australia flatly rejecting her demand to be paid appearance money...

..."She obviously felt some huge offer was being made to Alicia, which was not the case," said Alexander...

On the unsuccessful search for Molik in the past week, Alexander said: "We sent an e-mail to her and we tried to phone her, but there was no response . . . We were in such a time crisis we gave it about 36 hours of trying Alicia but then we really had to confirm Sophie's position."..

:eek:

Trent
Apr 16th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Another article -
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,12882979-23216,00.html

AUSBOY
Apr 17th, 2005, 02:57 AM
On the unsuccessful search for Molik in the past week, Alexander said: "We sent an e-mail to her and we tried to phone her, but there was no response . . . We were in such a time crisis we gave it about 36 hours of trying Alicia but then we really had to confirm Sophie's position."..

:eek:

LOL, gees they couldnt have tried that hard, Alicia is currently in Melbourne and will be all this week. The reasons they give for her not playing is bullshit! Like Nicole she felt she was being 'used'.

Its a much bigger ask and usually an interruption to the players schedule than acknowledged by Tennis Australia

The players only get $10,000 which is nothing compared to other countries.

Also the payment is $10,000 per team member which is unfair, like Olivia L received the same amount as Alicia last year in the Russia tie.

I dont blame Nicole for taking her stance! They should get 'extra' money for each live rubber they play, and perhaps a bonus if they win it!!!

gillibean
Apr 17th, 2005, 03:58 AM
Nah I don't really agree- when you get to that standard, shouldn't it not only be about the money but what the articles do say - the pride of representing your country? $10,000 isn't too bad for how long is it? 2 days of tennis?! Instead of making up that they couldn't contact Molik they shouldve just stuck to the fact she has an ear infection or whatever caused her to pull out this week. I still think we'll do alright! Go Fed Cup kids!

SeanyQ
Apr 17th, 2005, 04:02 AM
Let's face it Tennis Australia couldn't run a chook raffle & John Alexander is the biggest wanker they could've put in that position. Maybe if they'd chosen Nicole Bradtke like they should've all this mess wouldn't be happening. They've already screwed over Nicole Pratt & Rennae Stubbs! Let's see how long Sammy managers to put up with this crap!

AUSBOY
Apr 17th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Nah I don't really agree- when you get to that standard, shouldn't it not only be about the money but what the articles do say - the pride of representing your country? $10,000 isn't too bad for how long is it? 2 days of tennis?! Instead of making up that they couldn't contact Molik they shouldve just stuck to the fact she has an ear infection or whatever caused her to pull out this week. I still think we'll do alright! Go Fed Cup kids!

Molik didnt have an ear infection, she had to come back to Adelaide for a funeral!

Also $10,000 is nothing for these players, especially if the effort required in travelling to India is going to exhaust them and hinder them for their next few tournaments. The cost to them could actually be a lot greater! Its also not 2 days they are required for, try about a week when you take into account Flight time and at least 3 days training before the tie! (not even a $1000 a day after tax!)

You have to remember that Pratt has been to nearly every Fed Cup in the last 7 years, she has had the pressure to be there as one of Australia top 2 singles players in that time and her efforts really havent been recognised by Tennis Australia. I totally understand her stance. Tennis Australia expect them to drop everything and if they arrive a day late they get fined!!! You take a $2000 fine and tax out of their appearance money and they are left with didley squat!!!

azza
Apr 17th, 2005, 08:38 AM
and i thought fed cup was just playing for your country :o

gillibean
Apr 17th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Hey - so this was a lie...

Alicia Molik has withdrawn from the Family Circle Cup in South Carolina because of an inner ear infection.

She was seeded fifth for the tournament and had yet to play a game.

"I'm extremely disappointed," Molik told Reuters. "However I feel like my body isn't allowing me to play so I can't fight that. I hope to be back next year."

Molik said she hopes to be fit to play in the German Open beginning on May 2 as she continues to prepare for the French Open later that month.

:|

AUSBOY
Apr 17th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Yep it was a lie. That way she wouldnt have been fined or penalised by the WTA for her late withdrawal

gillibean
Apr 17th, 2005, 09:49 AM
cool...why do u think she isn't playing fed cup then if she has a few weeks off...

ozfan44
Apr 17th, 2005, 09:57 AM
she needs her "rest"

AUSBOY
Apr 17th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Alicia is busy back in Melbourne negotiating several contracts at the moment. She sacked her manager Peter Smylie and is busy finding another management team that can handle all the scheduling of her endorsement commitments, media work etc.

She is being head hunted by a major Australian clothing fashion label at present to be the face of their womens range!

Postcard
Apr 18th, 2005, 09:08 PM
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,15009688%255E23216,00.html

Pratt fires back
By Paul Malone
April 19, 2005
A FURIOUS Nicole Pratt has hit back at suggestions that she's a money mercenary who has abandoned Australia's Fed Cup team...

Ellery
Apr 18th, 2005, 09:52 PM
What a mess!

I feel pretty bad for Nicole.

broncosven
Apr 18th, 2005, 11:08 PM
It's really a bit of both sides

i feel sorry for nicole that she has represeented australia for so long and now it has come to this

but i also think that someone who has only won a couple matches this year and is now ranked outside 100 cannot demand more money to show up

Hopefully australia can put all this behind them and wrap up this group stage tie !!

SeanyQ
Apr 19th, 2005, 04:14 AM
I'm on Nicole's side with this. Tennis Australia don't give a stuff about womens tennis in this country! It's that simple. If Fed Cup was of any importance whatsoever, they would've given Stubbs her $6000 back. Why didn't they fine Alicia Molik when she turned up to that tie on the same day? How's it fair to fine Rennae, but not Alicia? TA keeps hiring fossils as fed cup captain. Why didn't they choose Nicole Bradtke when all the players wanted her selected? TA is too useless to concentrate on both mens & womens tennis in Australia. There needs to be a Womens Tennis Australia developed & have TA just for the men. Like an ATP/WTA set up. While I'm at it, Liz Smylie should be dumped from tournament directory of the Gold Coast tournament - she is nearly as bad as John Alexander! :fiery: :fiery: :mad:

nitocris_tiger
Apr 19th, 2005, 04:43 AM
I just hate this saga every time a Fed Cup tie is played.. we look worse than Flip and the Davis Cup team! Plus there are just so many varied and vastly different stories from all parties you don't know who to believe.

louloubelle
Apr 19th, 2005, 09:01 AM
While I'm at it, Liz Smylie should be dumped from tournament directory of the Gold Coast tournament - she is nearly as bad as John Alexander! :fiery: :fiery: :mad:

Why?? Whats her problem.

I was under the impression that both Alicia and Rennae were fined for being late??

louloubelle
Apr 19th, 2005, 09:14 AM
I just hate this saga every time a Fed Cup tie is played.. we look worse than Flip and the Davis Cup team! Plus there are just so many varied and vastly different stories from all parties you don't know who to believe.

Im with you here, however have to agree with Nicole that TA has been selective with the info they've released. Good on Nicole for not spilling her guts in retaliation. It was un-Nicole-like to just dump the Fed Cup team just for money. There's obviously something not right for her to do this.

For years the girls have tried to have a big say in Fed Cup and really haven't done their cause any good with some whinging in the past. McQuillan on Bowrey, Stubbs on Cawley/Woodforde examples. Therefore if they were backing Bradtke it was possible it wouldn't work in their favour.

Im happy that they chose a male in the position (whether JA is the answer is another question, lets give him a few ties first ...... oh and he should shut his mouth up too!!!) as they would be less likely to take any shit from the girls. Im not convinced Brdatke is the answer anyway!

Girls never appreciated Wendy Turnbull in the captaincy role but she got the best results of anyone even with a team that wasn't highly regarded.

JA could do the same. If this team gets thru, it maybe the spark that Evie, Sam and Sophie need to kick on their singles careers.

Postcard
Apr 19th, 2005, 09:13 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/news/Tennis/Pratt-did-demand-money/2005/04/19/1113854202981.html

Pratt 'did demand money'
By Karen Lyon
April 20, 2005

Australian Fed Cup captain John Alexander hopes to restore relations with former team member Nicole Pratt but is refusing to back away from claims that she demanded appearance money for this week's tie in India...

...Evie Dominikovic, Sophie Ferguson, Bryanne Stewart and Samantha Stosur face New Zealand later today, Taiwan tomorrow and South Korea on Friday. Top seed China and host nation India are in the second group.

Postcard
Apr 20th, 2005, 09:05 PM
I wonder if Pratty reads this message board!

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,15024619%255E3162,00.html

"I did not get a response from her. The response came from John Alexander, which all adds up to a mess."

;)

Postcard
Apr 21st, 2005, 09:13 PM
I presume that JA has been miss-quoted!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Tennis/Dominikovic-sets-up-Fed-Cup-win/2005/04/21/1114028482446.html

"Evie Dominikovic I think really came of age today. She played beautifully," said new Fed Cup captain John Alexander, who praised the whole team. "She handled her first time representing her country very well."

nitocris_tiger
Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:38 AM
I presume that JA has been miss-quoted!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Tennis/Dominikovic-sets-up-Fed-Cup-win/2005/04/21/1114028482446.html
"But in their absence, Melbourne's Evie Dominikovic comfortably beat Leanne Baker 6-2, 6-3..."

...and Evie is a Melbournian now?

Postcard
Apr 23rd, 2005, 10:01 PM
From a report of the tie against Taiwan

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Ferguson-shines-on-debut/2005/04/22/1114152319613.html

'The 19-year-old Ferguson defeated Hsiao-Han Chao 6-1 6-2 before Sam Stosur sealed the win in the Asia/Oceania zone tie with a 6-0 6-2 result over Yi Chen in New Delhi...

'"She (Ferguson) played a wonderful match and a very mature match and probably one of the best debuts any Australian tennis player has made when you consider her age and she is playing in foreign conditions and she has only had two days to adjust," Alexander said in New Delhi.

'"It was a remarkable effort and we were very, very happy with Sophie."'

I think that Hsiao-Han Chao's highest singles ranking is in the 600s! ;)

'"Then Sam took to the court and took it to the opposition and with the exception of two games would have beaten anyone in the world today," Alexander said.'

I think that Yi Chen's highest singles ranking is also in the 600s! ;)

From a report of the final against China

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Australia-downed-in-AsiaOceania-finals/2005/04/24/1114281432310.html

'...The Chinese clinched a 2-0 victory against Australia in the Asia-Oceania Zone Group I final on Saturday and advanced to the World Group II playoffs.
'Sun Tian-tian, playing her first singles match of the tournament, gave China a winning start with a 6-3 7-5 scoreline against Evie Dominikovic.

'Zheng Jie, ranked 69th in the world, overcame WTA Tour's 55th-ranked Samantha Stosur 6-3 6-4...

'China's No.1 player, Li Na, did not play, returning home to arrange a visa for a WTA Tour event in Europe next week.'

:tape:

broncosven
Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:57 PM
Bugger

Big Bugger !!

Mr_Molik
Apr 24th, 2005, 06:05 AM
doesnt tian tian sun liek only play doubles :tape:

azza
Apr 24th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Eww what a discusting how the hell did our girls manage to lsoe to tian tian sun and jie zehgn did they get brain damage?

TS
Apr 24th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Well if any of you have actually seen Tian Tian Sun play you will know that she has more game than Evie and probably played more aggressively to get the win.

Jie Zheng is a world class player, and can be a tough player to beat too. There's not much separating Jie and Sam at the moment if you ask me.

Bottom line, a) JA is quite delusional based on the quotes above :tape: and b)Alicia Molik needs to commit to the team as she is the major link to us getting out of zonal qualifying

AUSBOY
Apr 24th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Its was always gonna be a tough tie.

Sam has a far superior serve to Jie, and better groundies but obviously served and played poorly being broken so many times.

As for Evie, she has a superior first serve, but in the match report she played way too defensively the whole match and her hopeless second serve just got punished consistently

Disastrous result for Australia!

Ellery
Apr 24th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Eww what a discusting how the hell did our girls manage to lsoe to tian tian sun and jie zehgn did they get brain damage?

Losing to Zheng or Sun certainly does not show that the Australians had brain damage. Zheng is a world class player and Sun is not weaker than Evie.

:mad: :tape:

Ellery
Apr 24th, 2005, 11:10 AM
By the way, some of JA's comments are :tape:

Postcard
Apr 30th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Ah, yes, let's blame those naughty, naughty girls!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Tennis/Fed-up-over-Fed-Cup/2005/04/30/1114635789802.html

Fed up over Fed Cup
By Will Swanton
May 1, 2005

'Tennis Australia is fed up with its leading women, including Alicia Molik, showing only occasional commitment to the national team and wants them to start signing contracts that guarantee they will represent their country when chosen...

Australia would most likely have waltzed through the Asia/Oceania round-robin if world No.8 Molik, in particular, had taken part. Instead, a loss to China left Australia languishing outside the Fed Cup's world group.'

Hmm - me thinks that we wouldn't have been in the Asia/Oceania round-robin if we hadn't lost to Thailand (without Alicia and Stubbsy)!

CoryAnnAvants#1
May 7th, 2005, 07:32 PM
It is a difficult situation for TA.

They clearly aren't being completely fair down the middle, but Pratt is in no position to bitch about $10,000. With the exception of the grand slams and maybe 1 or 2 other weeks out of the year, she makes less than that in the tournaments she plays almost every time. You want to be financed by TA? Fine. Take your ass to India when there ARE NO WTA TOURNAMENTS THAT WEEK ANYWAY and make $10,000 beating up on nobodys ranked in the 600s for the most part.

She fell out of the top 100 for the first time in eight years. Molik, Stosur and Evie are better singles players and Molik and Stubbsy are better doubles players. She's the third or fourth wheel in every department now, the backup woman. What back-up player demands up front appearances?:rolleyes:

broncosven
May 8th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Although when she made her decision she was ranked higher . .

It still doesnt mean she should be asking for anything to represent her country, oh well live and let learn. Another year off the scene for Australia . . .

Mr_Molik
Jul 5th, 2005, 11:48 AM
LOL did anyone else hear mark woodfordes cheap little swipe at alicia, nicole and rennae while commentating the womens wimbledon final. he said something like "venus and lindsay will be playing fed cup after this, its great to see top players all playing together, we rarely see our top australian girls playing" :rolleyes: obviously still bitter

nitocris_tiger
Jul 6th, 2005, 11:19 PM
LOL did anyone else hear mark woodfordes cheap little swipe at alicia, nicole and rennae while commentating the womens wimbledon final. he said something like "venus and lindsay will be playing fed cup after this, its great to see top players all playing together, we rarely see our top australian girls playing" :rolleyes: obviously still bitterThat's because you fined them you f*ckwitt! :retard:

nitocris_tiger
Jul 6th, 2005, 11:27 PM
And according to the Fed Cup website Lindsay isn't even in the squad... double f*ckwitt! :retard: :retard:

SeanyQ
Jul 7th, 2005, 03:01 AM
Why don't they just get the girls in the squad (or who should be) & let them vote who they want as captain. What have they got to lose? At least they'd play then.

gillibean
Jul 7th, 2005, 03:24 AM
yay dittmanfan i like your new signature!!!!

nitocris_tiger
Jul 7th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Why don't they just get the girls in the squad (or who should be) & let them vote who they want as captain. What have they got to lose? At least they'd play then.Because TA would see that as the tail wagging the dog. Whether it be right or wrong, they've decided JA is the captain and, especially after only one tie, that won't change in the near future.

SeanyQ
Jul 7th, 2005, 05:48 AM
yay dittmanfan i like your new signature!!!!
Why thankyou Gillibean!! ;)
I thought of you when I put Sophie 2nd :D

louloubelle
Jul 9th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Because TA would see that as the tail wagging the dog. Whether it be right or wrong, they've decided JA is the captain and, especially after only one tie, that won't change in the near future.

TA has to take some leadership and can't let the players dictate. In the end if they don't want to play, why beg for them.

Mark has always been and always will be a skanky whinging bitch. Anyone remember him slagging off Goran Ivanisevic who then gave it back to him double!!!! Could always imagine him trying to get the last word in!!!