PDA

View Full Version : What an ass!

TeeRexx
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:02 PM
fron Jon Wertheim - CNNSI:

-----------
"Just to set the record straight: Safin dinged up (hardly totaled) the C-Class Benz that he was given to drive during the tournament. He then had his coach ask for an S-Class. When the Mercedes reps saw the minor damage, they effectively said. "S-class? You'll get no class." Safin then allegedly suggested that the Mercedes rep perform a sex act on him. (To compound his boorishness, the Mercedes rep just so happened to be Mal Washington's pregnant wife. D-ohhhh.) The Tour fined Safin $5,000, which he'll be able to find behind the cushions in his couch. "
-------------

aura of daniela
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:30 PM
I'm not defending Safin here, but it seems a lot of people kind of encourage him into make stupid comment.
I'm sure Safin didn't like that No Class comment, and I think that he may have been joking around with the rep after the comment kind of displaying what someone with no class would say.
Young Marat is a little loopy my stair, but he is often drawn into say idiotic thing.
But no excuses I guess.

But reports always miss out little parts like "jokingly said" and "Said tounge in cheek".
That would change the way people would read that story.

Simon V

apoet29
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:33 PM
I disagree with Simon that Safin got drawn into making that comment. Obviously, when he did not get what he wanted, he threw a tantrum, which is very immature and unsportsmanlike. Besides there is no excuse that can be given for an insult directed toward a pregnant woman. None. Even if Safin was joking or tongue in cheek, to insult any woman in that way is not called for and Safin should be forced to apologize for his immature actions.

Experimentee
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:49 PM
i dont think that what safin said was right at all, but why do people have to act like its so shocking to insult a pregnant woman? Its wrong to insult anyone, not just pregnant women. Its annoying how people make out that just because a woman is pregnant she needs to be specially protected, more so than anyone else

Martian KC
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:00 PM
LMAO! Marat, you kill me!

aura of daniela
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:18 PM
Perhaps everything that Marat says should be taken as part of his comedy act.
Like a Adam Sandler or a Tom Green. What they do and say is so stupid, it's hard not to laugh.....Maybe Safin should be taken the same way.
Also, that Pregnant women protection clause isn't one that I've been told about either. Unless the comment was purposely made to disrespect her because of her pregnancy, I don't see the difference between saying it to a Pregnant women or any other person.....

But, I did have a lot more respect for Marat before what has happened recently, and perhaps he is follow Goran and Yevgeny to closely, and mixing the two. Goran with his comedy, and Yevgeny and his Sexist comments. Separately, there not to bad, but combined, they are a dangerous mix.

Simon V

apoet29
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:26 PM
what I meant was the Safin did not have a right to insult anyone and he should have had more respect towards the person he was addressing. Pregnant or not, Mrs. Washington did not deserve the insult that was directed toward her.

What I don't understand is why so many people are quick to defend Safin's actions as being "well, that's marat." "He's crazy like Kafelnikov and Ivanisevic." Is that really an excuse for his behavior? How would you have felt if he had directed that insult toward you or your family members?

I get tired of reading posts in which sports stars and celebrities are defended for uncouth behavior simply because they are famous. I don't understand why celebrities are allowed to behave differently from others.

Volcana
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:28 PM
What's the problem? They should just assign Mal to do the announcing on Marat's next couple matches. I'm sure Mal would take care of it from there. :)

ys
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:30 PM
It is really funny.. C-class is really not appropriate car for GS champion.

Seriously, little indication of class from both Marat and Mercedes rep. Marat has an excuse though, he is younger..

aura of daniela
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:35 PM
Sorry apoet29. Look I agree he should be repremanded for what he did, and I would be disgusted if they were directed at me or my family, but what I'm saying is he has done it in the passed, and I'm not shocked about it.
I mean, if someone commits murder, and they let him out and he does it again, you cant really say...gee, I didn't see that coming.
Marat is known for being a loud mouth, and with freedom of speech, he is allowed to say what he wants. And fining him doesn't hurt him.....banning his for tournament does.

Simon V

Peace please...I hate nasty threads...:angel:

TeeRexx
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:38 PM
Interesting how many think it is ok to say "Fuck you!" to anyone, anytime, anyplace.

P.S. Marat is not a 10 year old.

Rollo
Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:01 PM
How about a new nickname for Safin?

Marat the Brat:)

brickhousesupporter
Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:15 PM
Volcana
I dont know if Mal would take care of it. He seems very soft to me. If that had been my wife I would have to mess him up. I am all for being civilized and everything until it comes to my family.

treufreund
Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:37 PM
Marat I still luv ya and don't believe everything you read people especially if the writer is the author of that trashy book Venus Envy Mr. Jon Werthless. but if you said that, Marat, then grow up and APOLOGIZE TO MS. WASHINGTON. !!! Then go on with your bad self.

Martian KC
Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:48 PM
Rexx, I think Marat was indicating the rep to suck his you know what...............:p

treufreund
Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:54 PM
Silly bitch she should stop complaining cuz I would have gladly been told to suck it by Marat. :o :o :o :o :o Yummy! (Note that yes I DO THINK that *if* Marat said that he should APOLOGIZE. I was just joking when I say "silly bitch".) Dayum isn't it sad that I cannot even joke around without having to post a disclaimer but we all know how friggin opportunistic people are on this board. They aren't sensitive at all; they are OPPORTUNISTIC because they will take any OPPORTUNITY to whine, protest and scream "hater".:rolleyes:

Rocketta
Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:06 PM
Does anyone have a picture of Mal's wife?? Just wonder what she looks like (meek, mild) because if that was me pregnant or not it would've been like, "Someone hold me back !"

Fingon
Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by TeeRexx
Interesting how many think it is ok to say "Fuck you!" to anyone, anytime, anyplace.

P.S. Marat is not a 10 year old.

Tee Rexx, seriously, stop this :fiery: :fiery:

You know that for the sake of my reputation, I can't agree with you more than twice a year and my quote is already covered.

So, don't you dare post anything else I could agree with :sad:

the_ancyent_marinere
Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:18 PM
Marat Safin's behaviour aside, a long time ago I saw MaliVai play a couple of matches and I remember I thought his tennis was so beautiful! Where did he go? Was it the injuries?

moon
Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:38 PM
I'm with Rocketta. If this story is true and Marat said that to me, pregnant or not, Marat would be thinking twice before he said that to me or any other woman. :(

ps--I like Marat, but he is a headcase!

TeeRexx
Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:59 PM
I am glad to see that most of the board has some degree of civility.
This kind of behavior say a lot about the person and that a good tennis game does not make one a decent individual.

And yes, my buddy Fingon will be agreeing with me several more times before this year is out.

Bye fans, bye Fingon. :wavey:

venusfan
Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:10 PM
WHY DID THEY GIVE VENUS AND S-CLASS THE S500 TO BE EXACT AND NOT MARAT. THEY ARE BOTH US OPEN CHAMPIONS?

Va'Shaundra
Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:17 PM
Rocketta the brutha marry a white girl. She cute fo a white girl. ;)

Snoopy91
Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:57 PM
I personally don't understand why such a big deal is made out of every little thing a celebrity or notable athlete says or does. Yes, Marat did not act in a mature manner and he should apologize because his behavior was very inappropriate, but this incident doesn't make him a "bad" person, and he shouldn't be criticised for it any more than any other person, famous or not, would be. Every person in this world has at one time or another acted in a manner that they were later ashamed of or wish they could go back and change. Apoet mentioned the fact that celebrities are often given the benefit of the doubt, which is true, but it may be because their actions are scrutinized so much more closely than the average person. This is just my theory, but perhaps people subconciously realize they could easily have done the same thing the celebrity has done with the difference being not many people would find out, and they therefore give them the benefit of the doubt. I've seen Marat interviewed on several occasions, and he has never struck me as an unfriendly person. If he did indeed say F*** you to the Mercedes rep, it could be attributed to the fact that English is definitely not his strong point (anyone who has seen an interview with him could atest to this) and he doesn't realize the impact of that phrase in English. It may sound like an excuse, but I know many people who speak English as a second language and it is not that far-fetched at all to believe that Marat doesn't understand how very derogatory that phrase is considered in English. Many times foreigners don't understand all of the implications of an English slang term.

apoet29
Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Snoopy91
I personally don't understand why such a big deal is made out of every little thing a celebrity or notable athlete says or does. Yes, Marat did not act in a mature manner and he should apologize because his behavior was very inappropriate, but this incident doesn't make him a "bad" person, and he shouldn't be criticised for it any more than any other person, famous or not, would be. Every person in this world has at one time or another acted in a manner that they were later ashamed of or wish they could go back and change. Apoet mentioned the fact that celebrities are often given the benefit of the doubt, which is true, but it may be because their actions are scrutinized so much more closely than the average person. This is just my theory, but perhaps people subconciously realize they could easily have done the same thing the celebrity has done with the difference being not many people would find out, and they therefore give them the benefit of the doubt. I've seen Marat interviewed on several occasions, and he has never struck me as an unfriendly person. If he did indeed say F*** you to the Mercedes rep, it could be attributed to the fact that English is definitely not his strong point (anyone who has seen an interview with him could atest to this) and he doesn't realize the impact of that phrase in English. It may sound like an excuse, but I know many people who speak English as a second language and it is not that far-fetched at all to believe that Marat doesn't understand how very derogatory that phrase is considered in English. Many times foreigners don't understand all of the implications of an English slang term.

I didn't mean for my criticism of Marat to sound so harsh, but I struggled with the fact that many people will excuse his behavior and the bad behavior of other celebrities as being okay. If Marat did indeed say something derogatory to the Mercedes rep, then he should be criticized for it.

I have also seen interviews with Marat and he seems like a funny, straightforward, caring individual, but that does not mean that he does not have a temper or bad days. If Safin did indeed lose his temper, then it is not unlikely that he would tell someone off. He is only human; however, Safin should take into consideration the situation and the person he is addressing.

I think your theory on ESL is interesting, but as an individual who has taught ESL to students from all over the world, I can safely tell you that they "KNOW" all of the English slang words and their exact meaning. Our world is now globalized with people being exposed to American ideals and culture on a bigger scale than ever before. I had a student from Russia tell me that he first started learning English from American movies and the internet and that slang words were the first English words he learned. While there is no doubt that Marat struggles with English, I would safely bet that he knew the exact meaning of what he was saying.

Of course, this is all conjecture on everyone's part. Who knows what Marat said except him? I sincerely hope that if he did say it, then he has apologized to the rep in question. If he did not say it, then Jon Wertheim should apologize to Safin for false reporting.

Dawn Marie
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:09 AM
I agree with Apoet.

Marat is an idiot. Does he not know that he just put a hex on himself? LMAO:)

People dog out Rios but steady kiss up Marat's ass. LMAO.

GoSandrine
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:15 AM
Darn, TeeRex, I thought this this was one of your caption threads. :(

:angel:

jomar
Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:19 AM
the difference is Marat's a GS winner already.:o

Dawn Marie
Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:36 AM
Jomar who said anything about any difference? I was refering to the indifference of different views about 2 players who are complete asses?:o :)

jomar
Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:55 AM
Marat has a bettah ass.hehehe:D

Martian KC
Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:26 PM
:rolleyes: I see who was voting in those ATP polls!:rolleyes: ;)

Pureracket
Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:52 PM
I just knew I would see a pic of Agassi, Blake, or Serena.:sad:

Volcana
Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:56 PM
the_ancyent_marinere - Mal had a series of leg injuries. That's what ended his career. He peaked losing the Wimbledon final. (I think that was a match with a lot of rain delays, and his legs were affected. Might have even gone to the next day. Details escape me.)

Brian Stewart
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:53 PM
Same as GoSandrine.
:disappointed:

As for the Marat situation, someone definitely owes someone an apology. If it went down as reported, then Marat owes Mrs. W an apology. If not, then Wertheim owes one to Safin. It's all about taking responsibility for one's actions. Yes, people do get carried away, and say things they might regret later. But the mature way to deal with it is to acknowledge one's mistake and take responsibility for it. I'm curious if he's done so yet.

ys
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:04 PM
Marat has a bettah ass.hehehe

jomar,
that's obvious, even Tee Rexx understands that, otherwise he would't have named this thread as if it is "Marat's ass admiration thread"..

goshka
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:51 PM
IN my opinion Marat has no class, and needs to work on his persona ( I speak russian and understand when he screams curses on the court, or when he is making fun on another people during his practices [I watched him at US Open]). He can be great tennis player if ...
But this is just my opinion and I can be wrong.

Did anyone fo you saw his girlfriend's pictures (from AO 2002)?
:-)

Cheers,
Goshka