PDA

View Full Version : Who has the most natural tennis ability?

aura of daniela
Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:46 AM
Now, I don't want an argument......just want to know who you think is the most naturally gifted player.
If experience and mental toughness weren't that important, who would be the best.

Everyone knows who I think is, so I wont bored you with an explaination.....I'll just vote.
If anyone want to know my reasons....just ask me, and I'll explain.

Simon V

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:56 AM
Natasha Zvereva has more ability in one little finger than all them put together

if only she could have been more serious :(

but i still love her for the way she is. she wouldn't have been so much fun otherwise ;)

TS
Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:10 AM
Well, everyone is going to go with their faves so I'll try and be impartial ;)

Martina Hingis.

Im no fan of Martina, but I acknowledge that she pretty much has it all. She can pretty much do anything on the court. Doesnt rely on power, just her natural talent.

SM
Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:26 AM
Ditto terry...my sentiments exactly so ill have to say Hingis , she was born to play and has that innate something that separates her from the rest

gentenaire
Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:46 AM
for me it's a tie between Martina and Justine.

Damage
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:31 PM
Definately Martina, and thats...the truth...no lies...:bounce:

Experimentee
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:48 PM
martina seems to have good natural talent, knowing what shots to hit at any time. But i dont know how much of that is to do with natural ability or the fact that she had two tennis players for parents. Maybe she was taught well from young. But i voted for martina.

Daniel
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:52 PM
Of course, my sister, Martina Hingis!!!!

:o :D

theheninfan
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:54 PM
You said that experience and mental toughness wasn't an issue to consider in your vote, so I voted for my girl Justine. When Justine is at her best, she plays the most beatiful tennis I have ever seen. We saw this at Wimbledon last year, beating Capriati and pushing Venus to 3 sets in the final. I just wish she would show more of that in her game right now. Come on Justine...You can do it!...:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

marshmellow
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:40 PM
im gonna have to say martina.

the first time i saw her play, i thought, this girl is really gifted.
that's why i don't think martina could ever be ruled out as a contender. sure she has to up her game since the sport is always changing. but when you have natural talent like that, you've got everything to work with.

Scotso
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:49 PM
Justine.

Chris
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:51 PM
Martina!

supremeross
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:47 PM
Hands down Serena. How else do you explain a player playing so little yet winning so much. She's player in only 9 tournaments in the past year and is ranked #7 in the world and is only about 200 points from being in the top 4 in the world. I call that a natural.

Long live Serena Williams:bounce:

Mark43
Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:12 PM
It is tough to call but I would say Amelie Mauresmo. We are just talking physical ability. If she could improve her concentration and confidence she would be numero uno, if you ask me. Otherwise I would vote for Hingis.

Nina_rus
Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:56 PM
Martina

Nacho
Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:17 PM
I'm not her biggest fan, but I have to agree about Martina. She was born for this sport.

TatiAnnahølic
Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:55 PM
Martina :rolleyes:

supremeross
Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:06 PM
I don't think Martina was necessarily born for the sport as much as she was trained to do nothing else but play tennis. (Which by the way she is very good at)

Kart
Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:36 PM
On that list, Martina.

Justine and Conchita are worth a mention as well.

I think that there have been quite a few players, just as talented in the past also.

Tatiana Panova
Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:58 PM
Firstly they all have to have amazing natural talent just to get there - they are the creme de la creme already. But it really depends on what talent you are talking about - they are all talented in different ways:

Martina - placing the ball
Monica - hitting things hard and uncoiling her entire body
Lindsay - very soft hands and flexibility allow power and placement
Serena - just an incredible athlete who is also good at hitting things
Mary and Jen - good at hitting things cleanly

There are many others but you get my point!

Ryan
Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:28 PM
Yeah Tatiana Panova, it depends on the type of natural talent you're tlaking about.

But in general, I'd definately say Martina. She can put the ball anywhere on the court without relying on power(not that power's a bad thing) and has th best (IMO) anticipation of the current players on tour.

anabel
Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:31 PM
Conchita has a natural talent :D

Martina as well

Cassius
Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:34 PM
Can I bring some new thinking to this thread? Thank You.

My thinking is this:
No-one is NATURALLY a tennis player. People can be naturally good at running or javelin for example, but tennis is not a natural human ability. All of the tennis players (good ones and crap ones) have had to work hard to do something that doesn't come naturally.

But, if I absolutely have to pick who I think is the most GIFTED player, I think Hingis. and I'm not a fan of Hingis (i think she is a spoiled brat) my fave is Elena Dementieva who is also on the list, but I don't think she is the most gifted, so I didn't vote for her.

barmaid
Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:57 PM
I will have to agree with most posters that Martina Hingis does possess the most natural tennis ability...anybody who has had a raquet in her hand since 2 years of age certainly gets the "nod" over any others..but I suppose its not to say for that reason alone she seems more "gifted" but just to watch her perform difficult tasks on the court with relative "ease" and the grace of athleticism executing shots makes her an easy winner. As we just finished watching two great tennis players in Jen and Serena perform their amazing skills on court...you can't help but make comparisons - theirs done with raw power, with grit and determination...exciting stuff but not too many finesse shots...therein lies the difference! :rolleyes:

barmaid:wavey:

¤ lürîñg büllët ¤
Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:04 AM
Martina definitely!!!

herodoto
Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:57 AM
there is no doubt about this: Martina