PDA

View Full Version : The top ten and their chances at Roland Garos

TeeRexx
Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:57 AM
The chances of those in the current top ten of winning at Roland Garos.

E=Excellent VG=Very Good G=Good S=Slight N=Not Good

1. Capriati = VG
2. VENUS = VG
3. Hingis = G
4. Clijsters = S
5. Davenport = N (injured)
6. Seles = G
7. SERENA = VG
8. Henin = S
9. Dokic = N
10. Mauresmo = S

aura of daniela
Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:09 AM

1. Capriati = VG
2. VENUS = G
3. Hingis = G
4. Clijsters = VG
6. Seles = G
7. SERENA = VG
8. Henin = VG
9. Dokic = G
10. Mauresmo = S

15. Daniela = G

I think that Henin may be the surprise packet at Roland Garros, along with Daniela. I think at least one of them will make the quarters.
It all depends on the draw though.

Simon V

thefreedesigner
Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:11 AM
Here's mine:

(Biased person's note: Henin's not been playing well, but she only needs ONE good run anywhere to get her [clay] season going imo)

1. Capriati = E
2. VENUS = G
3. Hingis = G
4. Clijsters = VG
6. Seles = VG
7. SERENA = G
8. Henin = VG
9. Dokic = S
10. Mauresmo = G

MaRKy MaRk
Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:17 AM
1) Capriati - VG
2) Venus - E
3) Martina - VG
4) Kim - G
5) Lindsay - NG (injured)
6) Monica - G
7) Serena - VG
8) Justine - S
9) Jelena - S
10) Amelie - S

aura of daniela
Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:23 AM
Thats what I was thinking about Henin FreeDesigner.
I think she has just as good a chance as the Williams' sisters at the French, maybe even better.

She loves France, and will rise to the occasion I think.
A couple of good results in lead ups will prove it.
Anyway, how good was Henin start to last year, I know she peaked during the French and Wimbledon....so, here it comes again.

Simon V

DEETHELICK
Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:54 AM
Top 10 @ RG:

1: Capriati - I think will win (VG)
2: Venus - VG (very underrated claycourter and can do MAJOR damage)
3: Hingis - VG (SF-winner....she has an amazing record here)
4: Clijsters - S (I seriously think last year was lucky for her...no way is she gona reach the finals again)
5: Davenport - N/A
6: Seles - G (a very good claycourt player I think she'll reach the semi's)
7: Serena - G (Just on pure talent alone can do damage, but not enough tools to win the whole thing)
8: Henin - G (Best of the belgians although I dont think she has enough winning match experience against top players)
9: Dokic - S or N (her game is solid but I'm not that impressed)
10: Mauresmo - she can be anything VG - N.....it depends on her nerves cos she is an excellent clay court player.....her and Jenn in the final maybe?

Floaters
14: ASV - 3 times champ, also has a great record here maybe the QFs or SFs
15: Hantuchova - might make some noise QFs
16: Dementieva - says she loves clay....show us what you can do QFs

Martian KC
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:10 PM
1.Capriati=E
2.V. Williams=G
3.Hingis=VG
4.Clijsters=G
5.Davenport=N/A
6.Seles=E
7.S. Williams=G
8.Henin=G
9.Dokic=S
10.Mauresmo=G

SM
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:22 PM
1. Capriati = E
2. VENUS = G
3. Hingis = VG
4. Clijsters = S
5. Davenport = N
6. Seles = VG
7. SERENA = VG
8. Henin = S
9. Dokic = G
10. Mauresmo = N

TeNnIsFaN
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:55 PM
1. Capriati = E
2. VENUS = G
3. Hingis = G
4. Clijsters = VG
5. Davenport = N
6. Seles = VG
7. SERENA = G
8. Henin = S
9. Dokic = S
10. Mauresmo = N

Williams Rulez
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:04 PM
Well, the clay court season hasn't started... so it is really difficult to predict. Well, I'll just base it on form, on hardcourts then...

1. Capriati = E
2. VENUS = VG
3. Hingis = VG
4. Clijsters = G
6. Seles = VG
7. SERENA = E
8. Henin = G
9. Dokic = S
10. Mauresmo = VG

thekimfan
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:08 PM
1. Capriati = E
2. VENUS = VG
3. Hingis = G
4. Clijsters = G
5. Davenport = N
6. Seles = VG
7. SERENA = G
8. Henin = VG
9. Dokic = N
10. Mauresmo = VG

hingis-seles
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:08 PM
1. Capriati = S (Unless she gets a cake-draw like at AO'02, she should be lucky if she makes it to the final)
2. VENUS = G (A good bet to win the title, if she isn't injured)
3. Hingis = E (An excellent clay-courter who is due for a win in Paris)
4. Clijsters = S (Not 100%, won't have a cake-draw like she did last year)
5. Davenport = N (Injured.Get well soon!)
6. Seles = E (Best chance to win a Slam in 2002. Unless she runs into someone on fire(look at Mary Pierce 2000) there won't be any stopping her)
7. SERENA = G (She is yet to win a clay-court tournament. Has never defeated Hingis, Seles, Venus or Jennifer on clay.)
8. Henin = G (Poor run of form this year; should still do better than Clijsters)
9. Dokic = G (Was a good bet to make the final last year, after the depleted draw, but stumbled against Mandula, leaving her as a question mark for this year's event.)
10. Mauresmo = VG (If home crowd pressure doesn't do her in, she has a good chance of repeating Mary Pierce's feat in 2000).

Experimentee
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by TeeRexx

1. Capriati = VG
2. VENUS = VG
3. Hingis = G
4. Clijsters = S
6. Seles = G
7. SERENA = VG
8. Henin = S
9. Dokic = N
10. Mauresmo = S

I agree with this one. It really shows how much the depth of the womens game has improved, that so many players have a chance at winning, even some outside the top ten, and there isnt a clear favourite.

RAA
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:24 PM
I agree with Tee-Rex for the most part. I think that serena is the hot player right now, but I'm not sure how well she'll do on clay. plus, you need patience on clay, and I'm not sure whether serena is patient enough for clay.
venus - depends on her health.
hingis - a great clay court player with good results at RG, but her confidence might not be at a high enough level to take her all the way to a GS win
seles - really on a roll and has had good clay court results. I think she has a very good shot at the french this year. she'll have a good seeding which will help.
dokic and mauresmo = unknown; both have great talent but it remains to be seen how they play.
henin and clijsters - I think Kim could do very well here again; I hope justine too, but she's seemed a bit off her game lately.

ruth in philly pa usa

Mateo Mathieu
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:28 PM
E Excellent
VG Very Good
G Good
S Slight
N Not Good

1. Capriati (E)
2. Venus (VG)
3. Hingis (G)
4. Clijsters (G)
5. Davenport (N) (injured)
6. Seles (VG)
7. Serena (G)
8. Henin (VG)
9. Dokic (G)
10. Mauresmo (VG)

PointBlank
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:40 PM
1. Capriati = E-WON LAST YEAR
2. VENUS = S-NOT THAT GOOD AT CLAY GOT OUT LAST YEAR IN 1ST ROUND
3. Hingis = G -SHE HAS MADE IT TO THE SEMIS
4. Clijsters = E-MADE IT TO THE FINALS AND IS DOING VERY GOOD ON CLAY
6. Seles = VG-SHE HAS DONE IT BEFORE
7. SERENA = VG -MADE IT TO THE SEMIS AND MAYBE WILL HAVE THE CHANCE AT A FINAL
8. Henin = VG-HAS DONE IT BEFORE
9. Dokic = N -I DON'T THINK SHE IS REALLY A CLAY COURT PERSON
10. Mauresmo = S-DON'T THINK SHE CAN DO IT I THINK SHE JUST HAD LUCK ALL LAST YEAR

Mazza
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:50 PM
1. Capriati = VG
2. V.Williams = G
3. Hingis = VG
4. Clijsters = G
5. Davenport = N (Injury)
7. S.Williams = G
8. Henin = G
9. Dokic = NG
10. Mauresmo = G

Come-on-kim
Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:15 PM
1. Capriati = VG
2. V.Williams = G
3. Hingis = VG
4. Clijsters = VG
5. Davenport = N (Injury)
7. S.Williams = VG
8. Henin = G
9. Dokic = NG
10. Mauresmo = NG (it depends with all the presure)

saki
Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:37 PM
1. Capriati - Very good. She's excellent on clay.
2. Venus - will reserve judgement till after she's played a few matches on clay. She could do well, but only if she prepares properly. It's not really her surface so she needs more time to adjust to it.
3. Hingis - Very good record on clay and at RG, but I don't see her winning it.
4. Clijsters - Slight. Will be very suprised if she wins it.
5. Davenport - injured
6. Seles - see Hingis
7. S. Williams - see Venus, but Serena is more impatient.
8. Henin - semis at least.
9. Dokic - suprisingly good on clay, wouldn't be suprised to see her in the semis but can't see her winning it.
10. Mauresmo - ??? seems to sum her up.

AjdeNate!
Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:16 PM
1. Capriati (VG)
2. Venus (VG)
3. Hingis (VG)
4. Clijsters (VG)
5. Davenport (N) (injured)
6. Seles (VG)
7. Serena (VG)
8. Henin (VG)
9. Dokic (VG)
10. Mauresmo (VG)

Oh my, everyone has a very good chance at winning.....

Fingon
Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:43 PM
1. Capriati = VG
2. VENUS = S
3. Hingis = G
4. Clijsters = G
6. Seles = VG
7. SERENA = S
8. Henin = VG
9. Dokic = N
10. Mauresmo = S

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:53 PM
1. Capriati = VG :eek:
2. VENUS = G
3. Hingis = VG
4. Clijsters = G
6. Seles = VG
7. SERENA = G
8. Henin = VG
9. Dokic = G
10. Mauresmo = S

Although i hope someone else outside this group makes a good run ;)

Sonja
Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:03 PM
1. Capriati = VG - She's having a good year so far
2. VENUS = VG - Ditto
3. Hingis = G - Can never count her out
4. Clijsters = G - Can give a surprising clay court performance
5. Davenport = N (injured) - :( :(
6. Seles = G - Tough on any surface
7. SERENA = G - Ditto
8. Henin = S - She's good on clay, but not having a good year
9. Dokic = S - Not having a good year either
10. Mauresmo = G - Clay's her best surface, not expected to do well so less pressure; I think she'll surprise us all

Martyfan with Amelie's four titles last year and one so far this year. I'd say your definition of luck is a bit warped! :rolleyes:

griffin
Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:18 PM
Well she is lucky God blessed her with the talent she has - but then aren't they all?

I'm willing to say I think Cap, Kimmie and Monica have a Good chance. I'm not willing to say anyting else until I see how people do once the clay season starts, and I will never take a guess at Momo lest I jinx her.

supremeross
Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:36 PM
Capriati- VG- Good year thus far, depends greatly on who she meets along the way. Has yet to beat Venus, Serena currently has her number, and Monica is a big unknown when facing her (a lot would depend on Monica (freshness) and if and when they meet.

Venus-VG- If she stays healthy and FOCUSED she has a very good chance. While she went out early last year, it was more of a fluke than a showing of her true ability or potential, she has won some big titles on clay in the past, so we know she can do it just will she.

Hingis-G- While you can never ever count her out and although she does not lack confidence she does lack some serve, oh I mean tools to get the job done, and her best chance to win the French may have already passed her by. I don't like how she is currently stacking up against Venus, Jennifer, Monica (the one surface I think Monica has a real chance of taking Martina out on) or Serena. If she doesn't have to face any of these players her chances are really good to excellent, but chances are she will have to face one of them in order to claim the title.

Clijsters-G- But I don't expect a run to the finals like she did last year. The only top ten player she had to go through to reach the finals last year was Henin, plus she has yet to beat Venus, Serena or Jennifer. Quarterfinal showing at best.

Davenport-N- Even when healthy Lindsay's chances of winning the FO were never good.

Seles-S- What it boils down to is this: fitness. I think Monica has already played a lot of tennis so far this year and is playing a full clay court season: Amelia Island, Charleston, Fed Cup (on clay) and Rome. I think she'll be burned out and spent by the second week of the FO, IF she makes it that far.(See ASV about clay court tournament scheduling from last year).

Serena- VG-E-The biggest question mark of the whole top ten. If she is healthy and is able to get some match play in, I'm betting on her to take the title. While she's only played in two tournaments in the past two years, one cannot over look her QF appearance from last year with having not played any warm up tournaments and still taking the eventual champ to three sets. All that with her current tare... while no one knows what to expect from Serena, no one wants to face her either.

Henin- S- I think she's in her sophmore year slump and has lost a lot of her confidence that she had last year. While a respectable clay courter, I will be suprised to see her make it to the second week muchless hoisting the FO trophy.

Dokic-S- I just have one question for Jelena. Why not just stop, and take off until you're completely healthy again. I would think that clay would be even harder on your body than hardcourts and your hardcourt season thus far has been dismal. But I don't see her taking time off to get healthy and see her chances dwindling with each week that she continues to play. She's perhaps got the worst chances of winning, besides Davenport of course, of all the top 10 players.

Mauresmo-G- Her chances are good at best because she has alot of pressure on her to perform well at the warm ups leading to the FO, because if she doesn't than she's out of the top 10, and so she may not see the forest for the trees. I think she'll expend so much energy defending all of her clay court points from last year that she may not have anything left in the tank to go all the way to the end.

RECAP: Best to worst chances for current top 10
1. Serena
2. Venus
2. Jennifer
4. Clijsters
4. Hingis
6. Seles
6. Mauresmo
6. Henin
9. Dokic
10. Davenport

Tell me what you think of my analysis. I think they are right on point.

:)

Sean
Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:42 PM
I'll respond in a tennis thread for once!

Venus : VG
Jen :E
Serena: E
Hingis: G
Henin: S
Amelie: NG
Kim: VG
Monica: S
Linds: S
Dokic: NG

Ryan
Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:03 PM
E- Excellent
VG-Very good
G-Godd
S-Slim
N-None

Jennifer- VG-Always performs well in Grand Slams, but had a very easy draw last year.

Venus-VG- Never does well here, could make it up to the semis, or could be out in the 1st round.

Martina-VG- Always does well on clay, but chokes sometimes. Should remember AO 02 and get a confidence boost.

Lindsay-N-(injury)

Kim-S- Wont make it to the finals, and with her injury could be out early.

Monica-G- Will most likely be burnt out, but could make the semis.

Serena-G- Never does well on any type of clay, but could make the semis If she stays on fire, and has an easy draw.

Henin-G- Has had a poor year, but could get sparked and make a run.

Dokic,Amelie-S to N- They have had crappy years and choke under any sort of pressure.

Linnie
Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:38 PM
So Amélie has had a crappy year??? How's two quarterfinals (including a slam), two semifinals and a championship so far???
If that's crappy, what's your definition of good????

moon
Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:07 PM
hey TeeRexx:wavey:

Venus : VG--other than Miami, I like what I see so far this year.

Jen :VG--depends on her draw, if she gets a similar draw to AO she's a shoo in.

Serena: VG--she's been on a mission so far this year will she continue? I think the answer is yes.

Hingis: G --can't see her making it pass Jen, Venus or Rena, or even Momo if she makes it that far.

Henin: S--I don't see her making it past the quarters.

Amelie: ?? If she can keep her cool, she can go far, but can she? I hope so!

Kim: G--beneficiary of a good draw last year, also see Hingis

Monica:?? Fitness will be a big question, she seems to be playing to much lately. But her clay record is stellar so I plan on her still being around into the second week.

Linds: S (injured :()

Dokic: NG--quarters at best

CanIGetAWhat
Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by hingis-seles

7. SERENA = G (She is yet to win a clay-court tournament. Has never defeated Hingis, Seles, Venus or Jennifer on clay.)

just a correction, Serena has defeated Jennier on clay. i believe it was their first career meeting at the 1999 German Open 7-6(3), 6-3.

1. Capriati = E
2. VENUS = VG
3. Hingis = VG
4. Clijsters = G
6. Seles = E
7. SERENA = G
8. Henin = S
9. Dokic = N
10. Mauresmo = S

if the trend continues, a veteran should win it this year. Monica should do very well in Paris and if Martina overcomes the Parisians, she has a shot at the title as well. Venus could do damage here and Jennifer could very well defend her title.

Josh
Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:35 PM
I don't understand why some say Justine is having a bad year or is in a slump. I mean last year after the AO she lost her first matches in Paris and Nice and second matches in IW and Miami. This year she reached QF in Paris, F in Antwerp, 4R in IW and 2R in Miami so that's better than 2001. She will do well on the claycourts, just watch her.

1. Capriati = E
2. Venus = G
3. Hingis = G
4. Clijsters = G
5. Davenport = N
6. Seles = VG
7. SERENA = G
8. Henin = G
9. Dokic = S
10. Mauresmo = S

venusfan
Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:59 PM
1. Capriati = 3rd round
2. VENUS = WINNER
3. Hingis = SF
4. Clijsters = 4th
5. Davenport = SF
6. Seles = QF
7. SERENA = SF
8. Henin = 1ST ROUND
9. Dokic = 1ST ROUND
10. Mauresmo = 2ND ROUND

TeeRexx
Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:09 AM
A good bunch of diversified comments for RG and the front runners seem to be VENUS, SERENA and Capriati.

We should have lots of fun in this clay season that will culminate with what should be a great Roland Garos championship.

QUEENLINDSAY
Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:15 AM
Here's mine:

1. Capriati = E
2. VENUS = S
3. Hingis = VG
4. Clijsters = E
5. Davenport = If she plays considering fresh 100% healthy- VG
6. Seles = VG
7. SERENA = G
8. Henin = VG
9. Dokic = G
10. Mauresmo = G

Crazy Canuck
Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:14 AM

1. Capriati = E - the defending champ has proven she can win on clay, and is hungry for more. Even with a touch draw she has as good a shot as anyone in the top ten.

2. VENUS = G - if she is healthy and well prepared this would be a VG. However, the loss to Schett last year hurt my opinion. I know she can play on clay, or she wouldn't have won clay titles before. I'm not sure I pick her to run the table at Roland Garros, but won't bet against her either.

3. Hingis = G - Showed in Australia that with some breaks in the draw, she can certaintly come close. But can she go all the way? I don't see her beating Jenn on clay, for starters. But its hard to say that a two time finalist has no chance to win. If she seemed to beleive in herself more this would be a VG.

4. Clijsters = G - if her arm is together by then. She is the finalist from last year. YES she had an easy draw compared to what it COULD have been - but she still fought many tough matches. I find it hard to say that someone who was two points away from the title last year, has no chance, when her game has only improved since then.

5. Davenport = N (injured) :sad:

6. Seles = VG - Her clay record speaks for itself. Even post stabbing her clay record is phenomenal. A top 4 seed which is likely, would certaintly help her.

7. SERENA = VG - Australia aside, she's been playing the best tennis all year. She seems hungry, and confident. Not to mention her game, which could win on anything if she put her mind to it. I put Jenn as a better shot however, because jenn is more proven on clay at the moment.

8. Henin = G - I wouldn't say she is slumping. She is having a decent year - just not as succesful as her or her fans may have expected. But she has that serve she tinkered with to get used to - so in a couple months, anything is possible. I think she has a great shot to get to the last 8 or last 4 again. Then who knows what? :)

9. Dokic = G - anyone who beats a red hot Amelie on clay for their first tournament title at a teir 1 gets a nod from me. She has time to get the injuries straightening out before then - hope that she does :)

10. Mauresmo = VG - If she plays well and doesn't let the pressure get to her, IMO, Amelie can beat anyone on clay. But the mystery women will make us wait once again, before we know for sure :)

conchita
Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:33 AM
1. Capriati N
2. V. Williams N (Last years results speak for themselves)
3. Hingis E (despite what people may think)
4. Clijsters VG
5. Davenport N
6. Monica Seles S
7. S. Williams N
8. JUstine Henin N (Based on previous results only!)
9. Jelena Dokic E (Rom)
10. Amelie Maures N (5-0 basically in both sets against Jana Kandarr and lost 7-5 7-5 :D :D )

14. Arantxa Sanchez S-getting a bit too tired these days
39. Conchita Martinez VG-her record is impecable!
79. Cara Black-last year was a fluke!
112. Jill Craybas Non-existent

~|Naomi|~
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:02 AM
Jen -VG won it last year but for some reason I don't think she'll do it again this year. BUt I'm sure she could surprise me she did in Melbourne.

Venus- E I don't think I need to explain

Hingis-VG always dangerous, and after the final in Melbourne I'm sure she's hungry for success.

Kim- VG Made the final last year, can play well on clay despite what a lot of the media say, can't see her going out early, but can't see her lifting the trophy either. But still has a great shot. Won't be disappointed if she does surprise me. I'm sure she wants to do well after the final last year that was heartbreaking

:sad:

Lindsay- Injured

Monica- VG always dangerous on clay, been playing well this year but movement will be the key. For example I know she's 3-0 against Kim on hard but can see Kim winning on clay because of her court coverage.

Serena- E I don't think I need to explain

Justine- VG I think Justine will do well here despite her supposed slump at the moment, I think she is really keen to do well here.

jelena-G Has won Rome so can play on clay. Big threat.

Amelie- G I wouldn't underestimate her I'm sure she wants to put in a good effort in front of her home fans especeially after last year

per4ever
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:19 AM

1. Capriati = VG
2. Venus = S
3. Hingis = VG
4. Clijsters = G
6. Seles = G
7. Serena = G
8. Henin = VG
9. Dokic = S
10. Mauresmo = N

I don't know why people have VG next to one of the Williams sisters..they already showed that they are not good at RG..just selecting your favourites huh...

Williams Rulez
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by conchita
1. Capriati N
2. V. Williams N (Last years results speak for themselves)
3. Hingis E (despite what people may think)
4. Clijsters VG
5. Davenport N
6. Monica Seles S
7. S. Williams N
8. JUstine Henin N (Based on previous results only!)
9. Jelena Dokic E (Rom)
10. Amelie Maures N (5-0 basically in both sets against Jana Kandarr and lost 7-5 7-5 :D :D )

14. Arantxa Sanchez S-getting a bit too tired these days
39. Conchita Martinez VG-her record is impecable!
79. Cara Black-last year was a fluke!
112. Jill Craybas Non-existent

Conchita VG and Capriati with an 'N'?!! Capriati won last year mind you... Conchita hasn't even won here before... :rolleyes:

wave
Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:48 AM
It' s a bit early to make progonoses without haveing seen a major clay tournament, I think. But nevertheless that will make it more difficult and maybe more interesting...

1. J. Capriati = E (ruling champ, proofed that style of game is suited for clay, seems to repeat the form of last year)
2. V. Williams = VG (with a good preparation might surprise us all)
3. M. Hingis = G (always a contender, yet psychological problems with Paris and the French fans and the Grand Slam win)
4. K. Clijsters = S (was injured and still seems not fully recovered, to repeat her final would be a surprise)
5. L. Davenport = N (injured, get well soon)
6. M. Seles = G (look at Hingis, but no problems with the fans and Paris (quite reverse), best statistics on clay, can she keep up her level for 14 days?)
7. S. Williams = G (style of play not to much suited for clay, but in the moment the hottest player on tour, has to be patient, but why not?)
8. J. Henin = S (could proove me wrong, but not so impressive (no wins over top ten players recently))
9. J. Dokic = S (would have to get out of her injury slump soon)
10. A. Mauresmo = G (style suited for clay, problems with pressure last year, this year the fans will put the same pressure on her, hopefully she will go further)

Remember: Most players would give their all to have what we call a slight chance to win...

We should do this again directly before RG and maybe then compare it.;)

TeeRexx
Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:00 PM
Per4 - And yes, I am sorry, but I can not seem to remember the exact count of the number of Roland Garos titles that Hingis and Henin won.

Please give me the number because it does not seem to be in any of the record books that I possess. :rolleyes:

jomar
Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:01 PM
well it's because you're only meant to understand the Williams' BOOK.hehehe:o :D :rolleyes:

TeeRexx
Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:50 PM
Jomar - I think that I understand you as well.

Anyway, most of the post in this thread have been interesting, so now all we have to do is wait until that last week of May to see how are predictions hold out.

Justinator
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:04 PM
I agree Josh, for me Justine had only one real disappointing loss and that was against Smashnova, and maybe her match against Kim at the Australian Open, not the fact that she lost, but the way she lost was really disappointing. For the rest I'm satisfied about her results. I'm not saying she couldn't have done better, but if you think about the fact she's changed her service motion and is changing her game by coming to the net, it just takes some time.

My opinion:

1 Capriati=E
2 V. Williams=G
3 Hingis= VG
4 Clijsters=G
5 Davenport=N
6 Seles=E
7 S. Williams=G
8 Henin=G
9 Dokic=S
10 Mauresmo=G

ys
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:32 PM
1 Capriati=VG
2 V. Williams=G
3 Hingis= VG
4 Clijsters=G
5 Davenport=N
6 Seles=VG
7 S. Williams=S
8 Henin=G
9 Dokic=G
10 Mauresmo=S

supremeross
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:35 PM
YS, I'm curious to know your thoughts behind Mauresmo and Serena W's chances at the FO and why they are just slight? What's your critical analysis of their chances on clay as well as the rest of the top 10.

conchita
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:20 PM
To Williams_Rulez:

Jennifer's win last year was only a fluke and i can't wait to tape all her tantrums on court! And conchita has made the final here at the French Open, has Venus or Serena ever past the semi-s or quarter-s????????? I don't think so!

Jordan.
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:30 PM
1.Capriati=VG
2.V. Williams=S
3.Hingis=VG
4.Clijsters=G
5.Davenport=N
6.Seles=VG
7.S. Williams=S
8.Henin=G
9.Dokic=S
10.Mauresmo=S

Ryan
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:38 PM
1. Capriati = 3rd round
2. VENUS = WINNER
3. Hingis = SF
4. Clijsters = 4th
5. Davenport = SF
6. Seles = QF
7. SERENA = SF
8. Henin = 1ST ROUND
9. Dokic = 1ST ROUND
10. Mauresmo = 2ND ROUND

VENUSFAN: I don't know if anyone noticed this, but you have 3 losing semifinalists, one of them being Lindsay Davenport:rolleyes:, who happens ot be injured. And you have Venus as the winner, but theres none of the other players there are even in the final.

I was just reading through this thread and noticed this.:)

ktwtennis
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:49 PM
Here's mine!
1) Capriati VG
2) Venus G
3) Hingis G
4) Clijsters G
5) Davenport N
6) Seles VG
7) Serena VG
8) Henin S
9) Dokic S
10) Mauresmo G

TeeRexx
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:54 PM
More interesting picks.
The slams will be fun this year.

Ryan
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:00 AM
I cant wait for Roland Garros to roll around.:)

SM
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:01 AM
supremeross its just an opinion.....tee re asked for one and it was given. i dont think it needs justification

Buitenzorg
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:02 AM
Katulampa Opinion Regarding Rolland Garros 2002:

01. Jennifer CAPRIATI

Very Good (VG) 80%
She has chance to depend her title, but look out the girl's around the corner.......????I'll say she just can reach SF

02. Venus WILLIAMS

Slight (S) 55%
Remember She lost at 1st Round from Barbara SCHETT last year.......I reckon she will do better this year (at least 4th Round)

03. Martina HINGIS

Very Good (VG) 85%
Eventhough she hasn't won this RG Title, compare with the other Top 10 player, she is the Best player.....pity though she hasn't won any GS Title since 1999...I reckon she will reach FINAL this year

04. Kim CLIJSTERS

Good (G) 74%
She was Runner Up last year, but I don't think she will do any better for this year, especially she still felling not 100% fit (because injury).....I reckon she just reach QF

05. Lindsay DAVENPORT

Good (G) with Question(?) mark..... 70%
She still hasn't recovery from long injury since the end last year, but look out if she's back and play at RG.I reckon she will become dangerous thread for the other Top 10 player...QF this year

06. Serena WILLIAMS

Good (G) 72%
She's the strong player in the Top 10 players, but sometime she hit the ball to strong and made a lot of error......I reckon she will reach QF this year

07. Monica SELES

Good (G) 68%
I'm not in favour for her in this typical surface eventhough she is the Good player (with 9 GS Title) ........ I reckon she just reach QF

08. Justine HENIN

Good (G) Plus 71%
She is the Semifinalis last year beaten by compatriot Clijsters at Sf match......but for the last couple month she did't showed her best tennis at all, ....... I still thinking No Doubt she will reach QF this year

09. Jelena DOKIC

Slight to Good (G) 62%
I'm not too sure about her ability at this year RG, anyway she's the one most improving player in Top 10 Ranking..I'll say she will reach 4th Round

10. Amelie MAURESMO

Good (G) 68%
She is one of the strongest hitter player as well ( along side Williams sister, Davenport & Capriati)....sometime she lose her plot what she has to do during the match, anyway she still has chance to reach at least 4th Round this year

ys
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:35 AM
YS, I'm curious to know your thoughts behind Mauresmo and Serena W's chances at the FO and why they are just slight? What's your critical analysis of their chances on clay as well as the rest of the top 10.

Mauresmo has never done well at RG. There must be something behind that, perhaps she burns out.

Serena - she does not have a game for clay. Her footwork is anti-clay. If she is very lucky with her draw and won't have to face a good solid claycourter, she might make it somewhat far, but winning it is a long shot. Solid and smart claycourter would play not against Serena but rather against her footwork, trying to hurt her ankles. Continuously hit behind her, combination of skidding surface and her weight and strength in leg muscles would hurt her ankles or would hurt her game.

Jessica02
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:47 AM
1. Jennifer - Excellent. Great player on clay has an extra inscentive to defend her title gritty competitor should do well.

2. Serena Williams - Played some of the best tennis I have ever seen this year. - Excellent.

3. Venus - Very Good. The most mentally strong competitor out there not a good record on clay, but should go well here.

4. Martina - Very Good. Great record on clay, great thinker and will have more time to play her game on this surface.Not that mentally strong, and serve may let her down, but something tells me she wants this title more than anything.

5. Kim - Very Good. Made the finals last year 2 points away from winning the darn thing! Can be inconsistant, but when shes on shes dangerous.

6. Monica - Good. Best clay court record ever. Dosent seem to be able to beat more than 1 or 2 Top 10 players in a row. which i think is essencial for the winner. When shes on shes unstoppable though.

7. Justine - Evens. Had a terrific clay ccourt season last year. Has a bad year so far this. It depends on her form. anything like last year she has a very good chance.

8. Amelie - Slight. Great player on clay, but cant seem to handle the pressures that it takes to win a slam.

9. Jelena- where has she been all year. Had a herific year so far. I cant see her making it past 2/3 world class players in order to win it - Not Good.

10. Lindsay - Well if shes not there it may be a little hard for her to win!

maximus82
Apr 4th, 2002, 01:44 AM
Capriati - E (It's hard to bet against Capriati right now...the surface will give her a big advantage against two of her biggest threats - Venus + Serena)
Venus - VG (if she brings the game that won her Rome so decisively a while back, she could take the title)
Hingis - G (I'm doubtful of the Swiss Miss's ability to take out any of the Big Babes [aside from Seles] on ANY surface right now...but she should sweep her matches until she hits a top 7 player)
Clijsters - G (the slow surface will make her defense even more intimidating...the real question is whether she will be able to muster enough offense to take out the consistent hard hitters)
Davenport - ?? (I'm questioning whether she will play or just skip to the grass-court season)
Seles - E (She is best clay court player at present, has won before, and has shown that she has what it takes to beat the top players...hopefully she can avoid her nemisis - Hingis - in the draw)
Serena - NG (Although I could definately be proven wrong, I just don't think she has the game [read as- foot work] to succeed on clay yet...she's going to have to change her game and be patient like her big sis' to have a shot)
Henin - G (She has the incredibly diverse game to win on clay...but concerns remain about her new 'tactics', confidence, and mediocre year so far)
Dokic - NG (She's having a relatively piss-poor year so far...mostly due to injuries...unless she stops playing tourniments every week and gets fully healthy I give her very small odds of winning)
Mauresmo - G (I'd give Momo better odds, but so far she hasn't shown the ability to perform at her best at Roland Garros...but I hope she will this year!)

Jakeev
Apr 4th, 2002, 02:00 AM
Well the best looking chance has got to be Jennifer to defend her title. I think she is the most mentally fit player out there right now.

Martina is looking fitter and speadier but not sure if she has it in her head she can win.

Never, never underestimate either Williams sister......or Monica Seles.

Crazy Canuck
Apr 4th, 2002, 02:16 AM
per - I gave Serena a VG chance to win, and a better chance to than Martina.

And I like Martina better.

it isn't a case of picking faves with me, its just a cause of being honest. of course i'm biased to some degree - but Serena has been playing awesome this year on HARDCOURT and there is no reason to beleive that confidence won't transfer to good play on clay.

TeeRexx
Apr 4th, 2002, 06:40 AM
A lot of people apparently believe some excellent players have no chance at RG.
But that is the nature of opinions.

E. Blackadder
Apr 4th, 2002, 11:27 AM
I'll post my opinion after I know how the players did at tha warm-up tournaments (Berlin, Hambugr, Rome)

TeeRexx
Apr 4th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Good idea Rythm, I may have to adjust some of my grades as the clay season progresses as well.

Hopefully, it will be to give VENUS and SERENA upgrades to "E". ;)

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 4th, 2002, 12:45 PM

1. Capriati = VG
2. Venus = G
3. Hingis = S
4. Clijsters = S
6. Seles = S
7. Serena = VG
8. Henin = S
9. Dokic = N
10. Mauresmo = G (Go Amelie!! :fiery: )

15. Hantuchova = S

66. Kournikova = N... NO WAY, alas, but I hope she does better than everyone expects. C'mon, Anna, time to play some goddamn *tennis*! :p

vw43
Apr 4th, 2002, 02:41 PM
1 Capriati=VG
2 V. Williams=VG
3 Hingis= G
4 Clijsters=G
5 Davenport=N
6 Seles=G
7 S. Williams=VG
8 Henin=G
9 Dokic=G
10 Mauresmo=don't know, have not watched her very often.

:wavey:

supremeross
Apr 4th, 2002, 03:15 PM
YS- Thanks for responding. I wasn't so much questioning your opinion as much as trying to get inside you head. I think if you are a tennis fanatic like I am and watch a lot of tennis you pick up on different things and are able to analyze a players game, i.e. strengths and weaknesses and I was just wanting to know more about what you thought. Thanks

venusfan
Apr 4th, 2002, 05:37 PM
wasn't Venus the favoriate going into the French in 2000? It just reeks that everyone is saying Venus isn't good on clay and have no chance yet she won clay court tournaments over the top players on red clay. The Italian Open is cursed... whoever win the Italian Open is guaranteed of not winning the French Open.

TeeRexx
Apr 4th, 2002, 08:54 PM
VENUS was the favorite at the 2000 and 2001 Roland Garos championships.

Hopefully either she or SERENA will take the title this year.

QueenV
Apr 4th, 2002, 10:19 PM
I just can't give an Excellent to anyone. On clay there are too many factors to give anyone an excellent chance of winning, atleast on the women's side. But I do think some players have a VG chance.

Jenn-VG
Venus-VG
Martina-G
Kim-G
Lindsay-N
Seles-S
Serena-G
Henin-G
Dokic-S
Mauresmo-S

This could change in the next few week, but that's how I see it now. Jenn's gonna wanna defend her title and that will be her motivation. Venus will want to prove herself on clay and redeem that 1st round loss last year so that will be her motivation. I think everyone knows that when these two players are that motivated they always have a VG chance.

For the rest I think Martina's confidence isn't where it should be yet, Kim isn't gonna have it as easy, Seles still has movement problems, Serena isn't patient enough yet, Henin hasn't settle into her new game yet, Dokic I haven't really seen that much this year, and Mauresmo too often succumbs to the pressure of playing in her home country. But like I said a few good weeks on clay could change the way I see it at this point and could boost confidence for some players.

Buitenzorg
Apr 5th, 2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by TeeRexx
VENUS was the favorite at the 2000 and 2001 Roland Garos championships.

Hopefully either she or SERENA will take the title this year.

LOL.................Remember, She lost at 1st Round Last year from Barbara SCHETT.........Talkin about Favorite.(maybe talkin about the LOSER is better...)haaaaaaa.

moon
Apr 5th, 2002, 12:46 AM
Venusfan and TeeRexx, I doubt that Venus was the favorite going into 2000 RG since it was during the clay season of that year she first came back after 6 months.

ttaM
Apr 5th, 2002, 01:07 AM
I wouldn't give an "E" to any of the players.

VGs: Capriati, Seles

Gs: S. Williams, Clijsters, Dokic, Hingis

Ss: Mauresmo, Henin, Lindsay, Venus

As of now. I'm not exactly listing the players on how well they do on clay. Mauresmo has a game more suited for clay then Serena, Venus, Lindsay do but I can't put her any higher because of her mental state. Henin admits the pressure is getting tough, and if she can't defend a few points at IW or Miami I wonder how she'll cope with a SF reult to defend at RG. Lindsay is injured so I can't imagine her doing anything if she were to come back for RG. Venus I could rate as 'G' but she hasn't done too well at RG. The majority of her losses at RG have come from the hands of players outside the top 20 (except ASV).

Serena I think will do well. Although her movement isn't great on clay, she could get the hang of it. She pulled through some tough opponents last year, and that was without playing any matches on clay. If her footwork gets better she can win. Dokic I give because she doesn't seem to crack like Amelie or Justine and her game is good on clay. Hingis is having a great year and her game is suited for clay, but she'll most likely lose against Jen or Monica because Martina's already slow serve will get slower on clay. The last time Martina played Jen and Monica on clay the results weren't pretty: Jen-def-Martina 6-4, 6-3 @ '01 RG. Seles-def-Hingis 6-3, 6-2 @ '98 RG.

Jen and Monica I put at VG. Both have power games suited for clay. There footwork is just as useful as is their power on the surface. Both have won the title so you can't count them out. Both have had great results this year on surfaces I wouldn't consider their favorite or best. These two, IMO, are the top contenders.

RockSteady
Apr 5th, 2002, 01:21 AM
How I rate each player's chances:

Excellent

Jennifer Capriati
Monica Seles
Martina Hingis

Very Good

Serena Williams
Amelie Mauresmo

Decent

Justine Henin
Venus Williams
Kim Clijsters

Not a Chance In Hell

Jelena Dokic
Lindsay Davenport

Venus is a long shot. She is not a great player anyway (a whole other story), and her one dimensional game is exposed on clay. Same with Jelena Dokic. Serena is the best on tour now, but her game is slightly weakened on clay. Martina will win the whole thing as long as she doesn't have to play Serena Williams. Seles will win the whole thing as long as she doesn't have to play Martina Hingis. Jennifer Capriati will win the whole thing as long as she doesn't have to play Seles or Hingis. Clijsters or Henin will upset one of the Williams sisters, draw pending. I think their game is slightly above Venus' & Serena's on clay. Amelie Mauresmo is a favorite if she proves mentally tough.

Jakeev
Apr 5th, 2002, 02:02 AM
Well Becca until Serena proves herself on red-clay we are not gonna really know if she will carry her confidence over from hardcourts to clay.

For instance, say she plays a Conchita Martinez, Francesca Schaivone or Anna Smashnova on a slower, wetter court were Serena had a lot of sliding to do, will she be able to get through these players on those conditions?

If the courts stay hard and dry, then Serena will be as blistering as she is on hardcourts.

Never say never like I always say about Serena, but really I have to be cautiously optimistic how she will do on certain red-clay conditions

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 5th, 2002, 02:10 AM
She is not a great player anyway

I just love when people make statements like this. Hmm I haven't known many players that weren't great to win four grandslam titles and multiple tour titles and not one but two gold medals. statements like this reveal your depth of knowledge or rather maybe your limited point of view on tennis.

Funny how when other famous tennis players, announcers, coaches, and reporters from around the globe can see the greatness of a player that some "fans" of the game cannot. Hmm I think I'll side with the experts on this.

Jakeev
Apr 5th, 2002, 02:24 AM
good post cybelle.....but you have to remember the folks that say crap like that really don't know much about the game of tennis....I would just laugh, shrug it off and realize what a moron you responded to.

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 5th, 2002, 02:37 AM
A few of you are writing off Mauresmo. You may have a point in that she's been mentally fragile at times in the slam events. Otherwise, she'd have an even higher ranking. I think her game, leaving out this element, should put her in the top 5. At the moment, she looks about the 4th toughest player to beat, after Capriati and the Williams sisters. I mean who has actually been able to beat her so far this year?

Her relatively bad record of toughness in the slams will make it hard for her to get a top 5 ranking for more than the occasional burst. She needs to get to a new level mentally. All the same, this could be the year she does it. I'd say she has a good chance of winning any tournament that she enters right now.

Jakeev
Apr 5th, 2002, 03:33 AM
Well you really can't say Amelie is the fourth toughest player to beat based on the fact she has only played in less then a handful of events this season.

Yeah she has lost to better players but she still needs to play more matches to be ready for the French.

~ The Leopard ~
Apr 5th, 2002, 05:23 AM
She's played quite a few *matches* though, against quite a range of opponents. She does have a habit of getting a fair way through the tournaments she enters. :D

I just hope she doesn't prove me wrong at Roland Garros again (mumble, mumble....) :confused:

Anyway, you sure can't write her off, which was my point.

tenn_ace
Apr 5th, 2002, 05:35 AM
1. Capriati = VG
2. VENUS = G
3. Hingis = VG
4. Clijsters = VG
6. Seles = VG
7. SERENA = G
8. Henin = G
9. Dokic = G
10. Mauresmo = G

King Aaron
Apr 5th, 2002, 09:12 AM
1. Capriati = G
2. VENUS = S
3. Hingis = VG
4. Clijsters = S
6. Seles = G
7. SERENA = VG
8. Henin = S
9. Dokic = G
10. Mauresmo = S

This is my list...
IMO Jenn is good on clay but not fantastic(no offence to Jenn fans).. Venus somehow doesn't strike me as someone you can't beat on clay....Martina lost to quite a number of top players but is still the best bet to win...Kim might just struggle a little... Lindsay is injured..Monica might not last the distance eventhough she's incredibly fit... Serena is onfire rite now and she just needs to find her rythm to be a threat.. Justine is struggling rite now I dun think she can find her form in time..Jelena has just won a couple of matches at Sarasota and her confidence is soaring.. Amelie might just crack at the pressure again..

Note: This are all my opinios, they might not be what u may agree on but just take it as a different person's view..:)

currita
Apr 5th, 2002, 10:02 AM
1. Capriati = VG
2. Venus = S
3. Hingis = VG (At least?)
4. Clijsters=G
5. Davenport=N (injured)
6. Seles = VG
7. Serena = G :confused:
8. Henin = G
9. Dokic = G :)
10. Mauresmo = S:confused:

:angel:

wongqks
Apr 5th, 2002, 11:11 AM
I like this thread hehe

Jennifer: Excellent

If we have to learn about Jennifer this past few months, it is never count her out in anything. Yes she lost two match in a row to Serena and seems to fall into the trap of what many players did which is not able to beat a Williams. But on clay she can counter ther power. Plus the fact that she ahs not face Venus or Serena this past 2 years on clay so it is hard to tell how they will flair. But I give her the best chance becasue of her seeding advantage.

Venus: Very good

She can play on clay, she won rome before in 1998 which means that she can do well on the red stuff. I think her loss to Schett is a one off personally. I think she will not fall into the trap again. She is vulnerable though on clay, and I can see her losing a few sets to unseeded clay specialist but end up winning, she will have her hands full though if she face european top 10 ie Martina, Kim, Justine, though in my opinion

Martina: Good

I like her chance but her recent thrashed by Serena does not help her confidence. She claimed to be more fresh than last year and prove it when she almost take the Australian Open home, but think deeply who did she beat this year? Monica, Kim That's the only two players she beat this year which can be said to be power player, she lost twice to serena, once to Jennifer already. I am not trying to downplay her but she has to do better against those american girls apart from Monica in order for her to has a chance

Kim: Good

start of the year I thought she had a great shot at Australia Open and I think I am pretty right, but the stress fracture came at the wrong time. Again, fall into the trap of not able to beat American girls consistently enough. Has to see her form in clay in order to see how she will flair, but then people has to remeber she hardly win a match on clay last year until French Open, is she really that good on clay. Although I think she is probably one of the most althletic player on the tour (just behind Venus) Her unforce error is still costing her matches

Lindsay: Slight

I am sorry, but she has to be out of the picture becasue of her injury, plus the fact we had not hear from her yet and clay season already start, I think if I were her, I will skip the clay season again and focus on the grass or even american hard court season if her recovery is slow

Serena: Good

She is arguably the best player right now, but you cannot take this for granted as she always play well on American hardcourt (refer back to her run in 1998 in Indian Wells, Lipton and then ameican summer season etc. etc.) Can she really handle the red dirt? Only time can tell, but for the moement, her chance is good and she should do well, although I cannot quite see her winning just yet

Monica: Good

I am a big fan of her, but I am not too convinced yet, she is yet to win a high tier tournament for a long while now, and I have not remeber her pulling off two matches against really good player after her American hardcourt season last year. ZMy suggestion to her is to rest herself, play 2-3 tourneys before French Open (which i think she is which si good news) and then jusyt give herself last big shot at grand slam this year realistically

Justine: Good

She is a great clay player and should have been to final on French last year instead of Kim. many people said she played bad this year but frankly she is playing okay, apart from occasion hiccup against low rank player, she has been playing steadily, always on the title challenge this season. She never play that good on hard court anyway, so it will be nice to see her on teh red clay again

Dokic: Medium

Well, Jelena would have een a great outside bet, but unfortuneately she is never consistent enough, if unseeded player is to score a big win in their career, facing jelena is the biggest chance for them. Jelena on her day can beat anyone ( a bit like MAry Peirce) but she can lose handily to anyone when she is having an off day. People said her serve improve a ton, but I have to have prove for that.

Amelie: Good
I give her a good, because she prove she can play on clay and dominate on this stuff, but she never do well on French Open, it has got to be the nerve, and it play a huge part when you are at a grand slam. I can (unfortuneately see her reach teh semis or something by upsetting a big names and just to succumb to pressure again)

atich1
Apr 5th, 2002, 11:13 AM
1. Capriati = VG
2. VENUS = S
3. Hingis = G
4. Clijsters = S
6. Seles = VG
7. SERENA = G
8. Henin = S
9. Dokic = G
10. Mauresmo = G

:p

TeeRexx
Apr 5th, 2002, 09:37 PM
Most of the analysis posted was very good and maybe some of the members should copy this thread for referrence after the RG event is concluded.