PDA

View Full Version : Eva Dyrberg to become #1 Scandinavian next week

Alek
Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:12 AM
Hello I just noticed that Asa Svensson will lose 46 points next week and she defended only 1 :sad: Eva defends 5 and defended ?... And with this Eva will pass Asa on the rankings.

Asa has been the mayority of the time in the top 100 since 1994 until last year so has Asa been the #1 Scandinavian tennis player since then ? :eek: and finally someone is taking that position?

I really found that impossible to happen some time ago;) but is nice to see another Scandinavian player enters to the top 100 and now is #1 Scandinavian player :)

What other Scandinavian players were good? I can only remember Catarina Lindqvist (SWE) who was top 10 and made Qf in Aus Open and US Open, semifinalist in Wimbledon also in sometime in her career. Also had wins over Graf for example but of course this was in the 80's ;). Any other players? :)

So any thoughts? Thanks! And weldone Eva :D

matthias
Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:16 AM
Dyrberg is playing the Dubai 75$+H Challenger this week, she is 2nd seed and will face. R.Vinci at the 1st round, so she can make good points this week too.

Scotso
Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:23 AM
Congrats to Dyrberg.

I am however very sad for Asa... she has been the top Scandanavian player for so long. I was hoping it would stay that way. I have faith she'll be #1 again.

Rollo
Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:05 AM
Isn't Denmark hosting a WTA event this year? What a great time for Eva to come along. I hear she has a vicious forehand:)

There were some match reports at on-line tennis. Here are links to reports of Eva matches at Indian Wells

http://www.tennis-ontheline.com/iw020305.htm

http://www.tennis-ontheline.com/iw020307.htm

An interview and pic:)

http://www.tennis-ontheline.com/iwdyrb.htm

Eva bearts Maleeva-

http://www.tennis-ontheline.com/iw020309.htm

Loses quarters to Smashnova-

http://www.tennis-ontheline.com/iw020310.htm

Enjoy:wavey:

Jorn
Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:06 AM
Eva will win Dubai (I hope) ;) and earn some points! :)

Denmark had a top 40 player Tine S. Larsen about 10 years ago, she is now Eva's helper and coach (She help Eva when she's in Denmark, but Eva also have other coach travel with her)

Aloysius
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:40 PM
Tine Scheur-Larsen. I remember watching one of her matches when she played in the Brisbane tournament many years ago. I think it was 1988 or 1989.

Jakeev
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:35 AM
Ok my Geography must be bad nowadays but isn't Switzerland and Luxbemborg considered to be Scandinavian nations?

Scotso
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:41 AM
lol no... Switzerland is between France and Italy and Luxembourg is on Switzerland's north border :P

They're Central/Southcentral European nations :p

Jakeev
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:11 AM
So what makes up Scandanavia today?

matthias
Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:20 AM
and Luxembourg is on Switzerland's north border

ha ha ha

scotso, you geography isnīt better

there isnīt a border between Switzterland and Luxembourg!

Luxembourg is between France, Germany and Belgium

go to http://www.etatennis.com/sites/home.htm
and you can see the european map

Jorn
Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:39 AM
When we talk about Scandinavia and tennis we talk about Denmark and Sweden
(Even we can say Norway, Finnland and Iceland is part of Scandinavia, they don't have any players near top 100)

Here in Denmark we say all 5 mention is part of Norden (nordic countries) but only Denmark, Sweden and Norway is part of Scandinavia.
(But if ppl want Finnland and Iceland to be Scandinavia also, it ok with me) ;)

It also shounds better to say, Eva is the best Nordic player, next week! :)

2ace2
Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:51 AM
Congrats Eva!!!
:D

Beat
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:11 AM
some people here need geography lessons BADLY ... ;)

korben
Apr 4th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Alx
What other Scandinavian players were good

Congratulations Eva :)

From Finland two players have been in Top 100.
Petra Thoren and Nanne Dahlman. Both played from about early to mid 90s

Next one might be Emma Laine. She will make her WTA deput at Nordic Light Open (http://www.nordiclightopen.com/) on August. Wildcard to maindraw. She is only 16 so plays mainly in the juniors. So far has played two satellites so she has no ranking yet.

Rollo
Apr 4th, 2002, 06:00 PM
The greatest Scandinavian female ever was Molla Mallory, who was born in Norway as and immigrated to the Us in 1914 and married a wealthy businessman. She won 8 US Opens and was ranked #2 in the world in the early 20's. She later reyurned to Norway and died in Oslo.

Sigrid Fick was Sweden's best ever. She also played in the 1920's.

Jorn
Apr 5th, 2002, 01:22 AM
Tillykke til Eva :)

Hun er den bedste, hende kan ingen tæske. ;)

Jakeev
Apr 5th, 2002, 01:54 AM
I have never heard of Fick rollo. So she was better than Catarina Lindqvist? Or was Fick's results better in her days then that of Catarina?

Rollo
Apr 5th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Caterina had the best slam result Jakeev, a semi at Wimbledon.
I should have mentioned her, she was so cute and had a wicked backhand!

Fick reached the quarters of the World Championships(today's French Open) on a couple of occasions and the 1920 Olympics.
She dominated Swedish women's tennis for 20 years and at one time was considered a possible rival to the great Lenglen.
You could argue either one based on results I suppose.

One more Dane is worthy of mention. In 1921 a Danish woman named Elsebeth Brehm won the World Indoor Championships, held in Copenhagen. The World Championships(grass, clay and indoors) were the parents of the grand slams. American pressure to drop the titles in 1923 led to Wimbledon dropping it's claim as world grass championships, the birth of the French Open in 1925, and (sadly IMO) the end of the World Indoor championships.

Jakeev
Apr 5th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the info.....I am impressed with her longevity but outside some decent results, Fick doesn't seem like she was very consistent amoung the top players of her day.

So if anything she probably had the same kind of results as Caterina did in her duration on tour.

Rollo
Apr 5th, 2002, 06:03 PM
What was Lindqvist's highest rank Jakeev? She must have made the top ten at one time.

Are there any up and coming Finns Korben?
I know we've had this talk before, but why is that that the part of the world best known for gender equality has so few quality women compared to men?

And will the small tier events this year in Finland and Denmark help correct it?

Monica_Rules
Apr 5th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Well Done Eva!:D

Shes done so well this year quite shocked me considering she lost to Julie Pullin in a 25k event last year!:rolleyes:

Jakeev
Apr 6th, 2002, 01:16 AM
Gosh rollo I wish the ol tennis corner site was still around were I could find those kind of stats.....I don't think Lindqvist was ever that highly ranked on tour even if she did make the top ten.

I want to say she was at the highest ranked six but again just can't find the info quite yet.

Alek
Apr 6th, 2002, 02:17 AM
Catarina Lindqvist made 2 semifinals in grand slams in the Australian Open 1987 and Wimbledon 1989
Won 5 singles titles: Hershey 84, Filderstadt 84, Port St. Lucie 84, Tokyo 90, Oslo 91

Maria Strandlund made only third round in RG 88, Wimbledon 91, US Open 90. Won 0 singles titles :( Made semifinals in Adelaide 88, Bastad 89 and Jakarta 95

dhenni
Apr 6th, 2002, 08:19 AM
:)

Congrats Eva!:)

Catarina was ranked #10 on April 15 1985 (just one week) and ended that year as #13.

Maria Strandlund is nowadays a tennis commentator for Eurosport and a great one IMO.

jomar
Apr 6th, 2002, 09:37 AM
bad news, Angelique upset Eva in the quarterfinals: 6-2, 6-4. Eva was leading 4-2 in the 2nd set.:)

Rollo
Apr 6th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Thanks for all ther info. Too about Eva this week, but Angelique is up and coming too!

Jakeev
Apr 6th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Ahhhh Filderstadt 1984.....I think Catarina beat a young Steffi Graf in that final in straight sets. Is that correct ALX?

arn
Apr 6th, 2002, 09:22 PM
Congrats Eva!!!!

And she will go even higher!!! :) :) :)