PDA

View Full Version : How good is Marion Bartoli?

Jakeev
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:05 AM
She seems poised to become France's next big thing. I am still not sure what her game is like, but I am impressed she is moving up the rankings the hard way:

Playing the challenger events.

But is she good? There is a ton of talent out there but what makes her stand out?

Scotso
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:37 AM
Well she won the US Open juniors and crushes more seasoned players. She's obviously very talented. France's next big thing? I don't know, Razzano is very good also. We'll see, I suppose.

Mattographer
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:26 AM
Marion Bartoli lost to Tina Pisnik at the Australian Open this year and the scores was 8-10 in the third set! :o

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:29 AM
You should see where she stands to receive serve :eek: :eek:
Its closer to the service line than to the baseline and thats for 1st serve
she's always played like this and started off this way.

Although it will be harder with bigger serves on the WTA but i don't expect her to change her ways too drastically.

her hand-eye co-ordination is unbelievable :eek: :eek:

Her best surface is Hard followed by indoors

clay is not her good point (but improving)

Jakeev
Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:01 AM
Wow TheBoiledEgg that is bad news for France then. It amazes me how the Frenchwomen do better on surfaces that are not red clay.

Scotso
Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:07 AM
That's not exactly true. Mary Pierce's best surface is clay.

Jakeev
Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:53 AM
But I don't think clay is Mary's best surface either regardless of the fact she has won the French and has other titles to her name.

Lindsay has clay-court titles too, but neither player move well enough on clay to have been consistent enough challengers to teh French Open title.

Scotso
Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:07 AM
Well, Mary's win/loss on clay is better than anywhere else, I think.

Scotso
Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:08 AM
Yes, it is slightly better... though it's upwards of 70% for both clay and hard.

Clay helps Mary's game. She's slower and has more time to get to the ball. So, I think it is certainly her best surface.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:10 AM
you've gone slightly off-topic, this was supposed to be about Marion ;)

but Mary i have to say is probably best on clay.

Come-on-kim
Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:58 AM
I think Marion is two handed fore and backhand. Like Monica.

I know that she stay in the court to receive service because, when she was training in her town, there was a wall near the baseline so sha was obliged to receive in the court

Monica_Rules
Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:02 AM
TBE i thought you said she wasn't that good on clay but she did win a 10k event in the UK by qualifying!Thats no mean feat!

TS
Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:12 AM
...she is very good ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:58 AM
UK is green clay like they have in the US

red clay is another matter.

Marion is lethal of both sides as well, u have to see it to believe it.

Monica_Rules
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:59 PM
Ah really didn't know that!:eek:

auntie janie
Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:10 PM
But WHERE IS MARION??? She was supposed to play in Saraastoa -- i am afraid she got injured in her last Challenger -- didn't she retire in her last match? .. anyone know the inside story? :confused: I am a Marion enthusiast. :)

monster
Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:06 AM
I saw Marion loose to Pisnik at the Oz Open and was so impressed. Her style and small frame remined me so much of a younger Seles. She went for broke and had a great attitude, fearless I reckon.
She hits the ball with more spin than Razzano but Virgine has more varity and is stronger.
Unless she gets injured bad, i think Top 20 is pretty realistic

Scotso
Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:08 AM
Yes, she retired from her last match. Hopefully it's nothing serious. :o

Jakeev
Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:09 AM
Ah so Marian hits with two hands from both sides?

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:21 AM
Yes Jakeev she does, sorry i forgot to add this.

Rollo
Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the thread Jakeev-I don't much about juniors like marion , Sharparova or Kanepi, and I learn a lot!

Boiled-perhaps standing in so close on the return will be a big plus in the end. These days the killer return is just as important as the killer serve. Some day her being so close on serve may earn Marion a lot of free double faults!:)