PDA

View Full Version : Why I still has reservations about Jennifer.......

maccardel
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:27 PM
Every match she plays against either serena or Venus she makes it personal.

She curses and flips them the bird and stare them down, like she is trying to threaten them wit an ass whopping......

They are not Martina and neither are they the other scarry players on the tour.....she hates the fact that she cannot get to them..

Finally the networks are showing her actual on-court antics...Kudos to CBS for showing her giving Serena the bird and cursing..finally her personality is exposed in front of the nation and the world......

She is irritating to the point that I feel she is just gonna have a breakdown on court or physically attack the linesman or the umpire.

paigery
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:40 PM
whatever:confused:

TSequoia01
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:18 PM
Maybe she is seeking some edge especially against the sisters. Serena was very susceptible to this early on. But Venus being the big Sister never was. I remember when Cap defeated Serena last year at the Ericsson. They interviewed Venus and asked her who she preferred playing...without hesitation she said Capriati, thought about for a minute and said the highest ranked player. Yeah you got it, still was Capriati. I too remember the famous stare down, which she promptly lost the next point. lol Or as Johnny Mac stated " Well she was the first to blink". I personally have a great deal of respect for Jen. She is a great competitor. Although she is ranked #1, truth is Venus, Lindsay, Serena, and maybe Seles can defeat her most times. But she is a big game player who brings her best when she needs it. :cool:

Hi Venus :wavey:

Hi Serena :wavey:

maccardel
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:23 PM
well said....

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:26 PM
I remember that stare down too, what was up with that? And did she really flip the bird at serena? I didnt see that.

maccardel
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:32 PM
She did it in reverse with the middle finger down to her palms...it's a sly way of doing it without anyone noticing.....it's a new york thing......

CC
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:46 PM
I saw that gesture, but I thought she was just wiping her mouth?:confused:

maccardel
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:48 PM
she was giving the bird secretly...it's what we did in school in brooklyn at the teacher or a foe..

bello
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:03 AM
After all she's been through and to be up there now and at no.1 also and 2 grand slams under her belt, she deserves upmost respect by tennis fans. She is number one because she worked for it and she deserves it, despite her hot personality. (which i love anyway.) Leave her alone!!!

bello
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:04 AM
sorry i meant 3 grand slams..typo! :)

Crazy Canuck
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:07 AM
She was flipping the bird secretely? Whatever..

Maccardel, untill you see her doing something with solid evidence, its nothing but speculation.

I recall a few weeks ago a thread was posted by a poster who felt that Venus MIGHT HAVE used fould language under her breathe. They read her lips, and decided that was what they saw.

Once again, it was speculation. And that poster got eaten alive for doing exactly what you are doing now.

Posting rubbish and assumptions about a player just caust you don't like them, is awfully childish.

Now I'm too lazy to find the thread about Venus swearing under her breathe - but I wouldn't be surprised in the least to find you were in their telling that poster where to go - but once again, thats just me speculation.

And my speculation, if that your being a hypocrit.

Jakeev
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:08 AM
maccardel you are such an expert at paranoia......kind of like why you cry why nobody responds to your posts?

Crazy Canuck
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:09 AM
"she was giving the bird secretly...it's what we did in school in brooklyn at the teacher or a foe.."

Jenn grew up in Florida. Not Brooklyn.

There goes your weak theory.

Jakeev
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:14 AM
It wasn't even a theory Becca lol:kiss:

Volcana
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:18 AM
The disadvantage of flipping your opponent the bird and cursing at them is they know they are getting to you. Jenn's current problems with Venus and Serena come down to she can't out-smart them, she can't out-hit them and she can't out-run them. She can out-play them, at least theoretically. No one unbeatable and Jenn has big weapons.

But her lack of emotional control cost her vs Serena at Miami. There were at least three occassions where she let herself get upset and then double-faulted. Serena is a very emotional player as well, but she doesn't let it throw off her game. Arguably, Serena won Miami by being the more emotionally mature player. In a 7-5, 7-6 match, thee's not much more to choose between players.

Jakeev
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:23 AM
No Volcana Serena won the Nasdaq final because she dictated the outcome of the match from the beginning til end.....check the stats would you.

As far as I am concerned the real Jen did not show up for that final.

harloo
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:26 AM
Maccarel, I didn't see that. She must of did it real sly though. I will have to look to see. It wouldn't suprise me though, it's her usual behaviour on court. It's such a shame, but their's nothing anyone can do about it but the linesman.

I just got the 2001 Pilot Pen Semis against Venus, man Jen is tripping. And after the match when she shook Venus's hand she wiped it off on her skirt. I don't know maybe Venus & Serena gets under her skin or something. She is a total mess, and it's too funny to me. I mean, come on she doesn't have to act like that. It's totally uncalled, for and I'm happy for her success but please display a bit more class. Geesh, you are a tour veteran, at least set an example. :confused:

Jakeev
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:29 AM
I think you need to stop moaning about Jennifer and let her play her game.....if you don't like the way she is then turn the channel.....then again if you did that you wouldn't have anything negative to talk about now would you?

harloo
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:41 AM
Jakeev, I like watching Jen play the top players she's a good fighter. However, I will be honest and say the on court antics have to go. I know she's your fave but I have to be honest. It really makes no sense at all to act like that. JMHO, that's all. Sorry, you don't see the truth.;)

Crazy Canuck
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:49 AM
"I just got the 2001 Pilot Pen Semis against Venus, man Jen is tripping. And after the match when she shook Venus's hand she wiped it off on her skirt. "

Did it occur to you that perhaps her hand was sweaty? Or may Venus' hand was sweaty? Or perhaps she is germaphobic?

Unless you know these things, your looking for something hate that isn't there - which is sad. You should look for things to like in people, not things to hate. There is enough hate in the world already - why add to it?

Same with her flipping the bird - once again a whole bunch of bull shit assumptions by people who don't like her. I am yet to hear sufficient evidence.

i'm sorry, but someone who says that "well uh..you couldn't tell cause uh..she was going it secretely and only I noticed" is cleary not very skilled in the art of BULL SHIT.

And why the hell anyone would beleive that off the bat, is beyond me.

By the way - Jenn does set a good example for the tour. She came back from being very messed up, cleaned up her act, and is now among the best. She has accepted her past, without putting blame on everyone else. She is a very carying individual who devotes her time to lots of different organizations (for example in Australia, the work she has done with cancer patients). She never quits - no matter what is happening on court she tries her best. She has things in perspective - she may be rough on court, but off of it in her interviews she realizes that its just tennis.

To me, that is an excellent example.

Crazy Canuck
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:51 AM
"It really makes no sense at all to act like that"

I wasn't aware you were a qualified psychiatrist harloo.

Bright Red
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:03 AM
It appears to me that Jennifer could care less what people think about her as far as her on-court behavior goes. It's pretty surprising that such a great athlete would feel that way. I guess that I would feel some sort of obligation to set a better example for those who really look up to me.

It could also be that Jennifer doesn't see anything wrong with her on-court antics. I would imagine that tons of people have hinted, if not outright told her, that her behavior is sometimes unbecoming. But as comments on this board prove, that's just an opinion.

Whatever the case may be, she at least has anger management issues. I was amazed at how upset she got during the match when she banged her racked on the ground after someone shouted "Serena!". Those anger management issues may partly be responsible for her success, too. Anger has been known to boost a person's energy.

Bright Red
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:13 AM
Yeah, the fans were out of line.

I just hope she can learn to manage things better as she gets older. People have been known to have heart attacks from getting too worked up.

Bright Red
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:43 AM
I think if I were playing out there, the same things that get to Jennifer would get to me. I'd probably let it show, too. I sometimes play video games with my brother, and I hate it when he talks or shouts while we're playing. It really ruins my concentration.

Sometimes, when others watch us play, they'll root for him, or me depending on who it is. But when they root for me, I play a lot better, and when they root for him, I almost always lose.

I am always impressed by the professional players who don't let the crowd/fans get to them. They appearalmost superhuman in a way. I mean, I think if I were Serena during IW last year, I'd have lost. Or even this tournament, with the fans applauding her errors--every time, I'd have lost the match. Serena didn't even flinch. Very impressive. And Venus. need I say more?

I guess that's why I'm just a fan.

maccardel
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:50 AM
Well I thought that I was entitled to my opinions and I tried to voice them in a fair way....the truth of the matter and the point of the thread is that I am tired of Jen's antics on court.

It seems that when she faces either Venus or serena she comes to battle and it shows all the time....there's nothing wrong with that except that it shouldn't be that obvious...It takes too much from the match and turns it into a back alley, bottle breaking and cussing fight...

I don't find it enjoying disliking someone and wanting them to lose...I love tennis and that kind of behavior is unacceptable.

Bright Red
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:00 AM
I agree that Jennifer seems to have a particular disliking to the Williamses. IMO, she seems to always have a worse attitude on court when she's playing against them. I think that it's mainly because they give her the most trouble, and it's rivalry at it's best (or worst).

If Jennifer could ever manage to dominate them (which I would bet everything I own and my mother's dog that she won't), she'd probably be better on court against them behavior-wise, and perhaps even gracious in all aspects of their matchups.

maccardel
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:21 AM
For a period she had an edge over Serena and she was far from gracious...it was like she was bragging and in the press conferences she came across as cocky......Just read her interviews after each match-ups with Serena and also Venus...then read the inerviews after matches with other players(anyone) and you'll see a totally different tone...

Bright Red
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:32 AM
I think it was after the AO, when Serena claimed to have an upset stomach, and Jennifer implied she was just making an excuse and everyone saw right through it. I remember that, and I didn't like that comment one bit.

She probably just lumps the two sisters together.

You're spot on with your assessment, IMO. And I think that Jennifer rightly feels very threatened by them. I would bet that most of the tour feels the same way--except they know better than to show it as obviously as Jennifer does.

Crazy Canuck
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:40 AM
Macardell - you are entitled to say whatever the hell you want. But passing off garbage and assumptions as facts, is lying.

Hypothetically, lets say I posted a thread saying that I thought I saw Venus, or Monica, or Kim or whoever swear under their breathe, and that they did this a lot.

However, I had no evidence either than my trying to lip read. So it was totally possible the player was just breathing loud, or sighing, or gasping, or making frusterated noises - whatever.

In which case my assumption woudl be a pil of crap, cause I'd have nothing to back it up. And in making that negative assumption, I would be nothing more than an ass.

Would you be alright with that? Me bashing your fave player through stupid assumptions that had no base whatsoever, either than my own ignorant bias?

Or would you bite my head off and call me a hater?

I think I smell hypocrit....

Jakeev
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:45 AM
The truth is harloo is that most of us like Jennifer just the way she is and don't get so worked up by the fact she is very emotional on court.

One paranoid poster has said Jennifer flipped off Serena and that is total garbage.

It's funny you like to complain about Jennifer yet you keep watching her. She isn't gonna change folks so like I said perhaps ya need to consider watching something else when Jennifer comes on

lol

Jakeev
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:56 AM
But I can respect your opinion VivaLaSeles cause you don't bash......:kiss:

maccardel
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:57 AM
Becca- I knowbetter....Venus cursing and flipping the bird?

If you did a thread about that, I'd pass you by...I know how not to give in to rumor....and controversy. I'm not spreading a rumor or creating a controversy......just stating my emotion from what I saw....

maccardel
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:57 AM
Do I bash?

Crazy Canuck
Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:04 AM
Maccardel - you found it necessary to create two threads on exactly the same topic. If thats not an attempt to hate or bash, then I'm not really sure what is. But hey, at least you try to be discrete about it.

"Becca- I knowbetter....Venus cursing and flipping the bird?

If you did a thread about that, I'd pass you by...I know how not to give in to rumor....and controversy. I'm not spreading a rumor or creating a controversy......just stating my emotion from what I saw...."

I know Venus wouldn't do that. Nor would Monica, or Kim likely. I was just throwing out names.

However you are creating controversy, by spreading a rumour. You have no evidence to back up what your saying - your saying that Jenn pointed at the ground, and was really giving Serena the finger.

What the hell? That just doesn't make any sense.

If she really did flip her to bird dead on, I'd be unhappy with her actions (disgusted really). But your not even sure she did it.

Much like another poster wasn't sure Venus swore.

Yet that poster got eaten alive, and you expect to get off easy?

harloo
Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:03 AM
Becca first of all, you really need to stop trying to discredit anyone who doesn't follow your script. Jen also did the same thing after the U.S. Open semis. Hey maybe it's just a ritual, even though I don't see her doing it too often against other players. Just an observation, that's all. It's obvious she is not too fond of the sisters, and she doesn't care what anyone thinks of her. I am just being honest, and that's all I can do. I have no other problem with her, and see her success as a great feat.

I mean cmon Becca, attempting to portray my opinion as hate is unbecoming. I agree with Macarell I just don't like the behaviour. I don't really care who does it, Venus, Serena, etc.
Whomever it may be, I just don't like it. So, please stop it, it's quite degrading. And whether I'm a pschologist or not should be none of your concern. Really, Becca must you resort to comments like this to prove a point?

Jakeev, I'm glad that you are content with Jen but it still doesn't change my opinion of the behaviour. And um.... I like tennis so I will continue to watch great matchups. I'm not into I don't like a player or that type of stuff. As long as her fans are happy with it, then I guess I can understand to some point where you are coming from. However, I still think theirs a better way to present yourself on court than using foul language, threats, and insults. JMO;) :

Williams Rulez
Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:10 AM
Let's drop this... us ranting here about whether Jennifer should do this or that is not gonna reach Jennifer's ears, much less change her behavior.

veryborednow
Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:43 AM
2 things - not wanting to start up the argument again.

1) Jen wipes her hand before shaking EVERY oponent, not just the Williams sisters = sweat

2) What's flipping the bird?? sounds hilarious

the_ancyent_marinere
Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:52 AM
To whom it may concern:

Some of you should really see a great movie, havenīt you seen it, and itīs called "A Beautiful Mind". Itīs about a paranoid schizophrenic.

At least 1% of all people have it and most of them are gathered here on the wtaboard!

vw43
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:03 PM
"she was giving the bird secretly...it's what we did in school in brooklyn at the teacher or a foe.."

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ROTFLMFAO...

I think I also saw her telling the chair ump that she had a big ass, she was batting her eyelashes in morse code...:D

That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in awhile. :D

maccardel
Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:35 PM
I am not hating Jen. I think I was one of the first who said she will comeback on the Sanex board...

I do not like throwing rackets and swearing...
At Usopen2001..Mary Carillo said that Jen was doing a lot of offensive gestures and Venus could complain about it....but Venus didn't...she just did her thing and sent the pest away....

Jen is a great player but what is discrediting her talent is her antics...she need to relax and play the game...

paigery
Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by maccardel
I am not hating Jen. I think I was one of the first who said she will comeback on the Sanex board...

I do not like throwing rackets and swearing...
At Usopen2001..Mary Carillo said that Jen was doing a lot of offensive gestures and Venus could complain about it....but Venus didn't...she just did her thing and sent the pest away....

Jen is a great player but what is discrediting her talent is her antics...she need to relax and play the game...

"Life is a jest and all thingsa show it, I thought so once, but now I know it".

Jakeev
Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:37 AM
Better idea maccardel how bout appreciating the emotion and drama Jennifer brings to the game and you relaxing yourself when she competes.

Stop reading into her "antics" as you call them.