PDA

View Full Version : Fed-Cup 2005 - World Group - Here We Come!!

Shonami Slam
Apr 12th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Israel starts this years campaign with it's 3 top players
9 time WTAtour champion - Anna Smashnova
4 time WTAtour Quarterfinalist - Shahar Peer
3 time WTAtour Quarterfinalist - Tzipora Obziler
16 year old young-promise - Elana Agranovich

So who are we?
We all know Anna Smashnova, with 9 titles of 9 finals, she represents Israel's finest. the highest ranked israeli, men or women at a career high of #15 now taking things easy as she closes on 30. She represented israel in fed cup for years now, and played the athens olympics as well.
Tzipora Obziler is a sweet story in israeli tennis. she diceded on retiring from the game, but was convinced to just play some tournies so she can help israel in Fed-Cup, and it turned out to lead her to a new career high, to some great results and this year she's been playing steady as well, posting a career best win over 47th ranked loit of france.
Shahar Peer bursted to the scene with her 2004 Australian Open grand slam victory. since then she has grown from strength to strength and this week she has proved finally that she has adapted well to the big girls game, reaching a new career-highin the top100. three QF this year, a set from rolland garros champion anastacia myskina and solid all around game make her a great weapon against any top player Israel might encounter.
Elana Agranovich is the surprise girl in the squad, as she is only the 304th ranked junior with no evidence of her game shown yet. one could asume israel's top doubles player yevgenia savransky would play in the doubles rubber, but the 16 year old took her place instead. the unknown youngster might prove to be pleasant surprise, and this just might be the time to show her talent.

who is up against Israel?

israel, is the third highest ranked country in this stage and should get to the next level. we are the 22nd ranked country in the world will play three other countries from the following list - ranking in brackets:
Belarus (23), Bulgaria (24), Denmark (49), Estonia (25), Great Britain (37), Greece (52), Hungary(29), Luxembourg (41), Netherlands (33), Poland, Serbia & Montenegro (28), Slovenia (17), South Africa (38), Sweden (31), Ukraine (21)

Israeli players Win/Loss in fed cup:
Anna smashnova - 39/26
Shahar Peer 0/5
Tzipora Obziler 36/28
Agranovich - first fed-cup showing

(my computer is having problems so i'll be updating this later - but in general - Go Israel! kick some Shiksa ASS!)

Tenisci
Apr 12th, 2005, 05:48 PM
good luck :)

PointBlank
Apr 14th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Ugh..horrable choice with Elana..we have Nadine(would have been great for a Arab on the team),Efrat,Heli,Danielle,Yevgenia and we choose Elana..One of those 5 would have played..

Meteor Shower
Apr 14th, 2005, 01:00 PM
I didn't get the choice either. Maybe Zhenya/yevgenia is injured? that will explain why she didn't play since the turny cuz she was in great form...
If it is injury its sucks. finally she have a great turny and then fucking injury :( :sad:
About the others - Heli is kinda retired, I don't know how good is her form. Danielle is injured, I think Elana is not less good than Nadine. and maybe Efrat should have replaced her. but Efrat is kinda slumping.

Anyway, we can qualify this time, although it will be tough.
Good luck girls! :D

P.S Who do you think should be 2nd player? Tzipi or Shahar?
I think Shahar should play the first matches, see how she handles it and if not good then tzipi..

PointBlank
Apr 17th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Shahar..in awesome form and better than Tzipi now..probably better than Anna atm :p..

And Efrat slumping..no!..she just qualified for Ramat Hasharon and reahed QF before losing to Irina..

Meteor Shower
Apr 18th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Shahar..in awesome form and better than Tzipi now..probably better than Anna atm :p..

Hmm.. good points you made there, I wonder how will Anna-Shahar match will end...

And Efrat slumping..no!..she just qualified for Ramat Hasharon and reahed QF before losing to Irina..

maybe but her potential and form can be so much better than that
in good form she can beat Irina imo.

Shonami Slam
Apr 18th, 2005, 10:05 AM
i think it's based on who the opponenet is - tzipi is much stronger than shahar - she can hit them winners quite amazingly while shahar indeed is better adapted to clay - but that's what anna is here for in the first place - so in short, some stats from the rivals should tell us who will play whom.
son't forget that this year - we have much more H2Hs to look at before each match, so Oded can be really pleased.

Meteor Shower
Apr 20th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Draw:
Israel
Belarous
Ukraine
Greece

Belarous d. Israel 2-1
Azarenka d. Shahar 6-0 7-5 :crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2: :crying2:
Anna d. someone 6-0 6-1
Anna&tzipi loses in doubles 5-7 3-6.

All the expectation exploded in our face in just a few hours.

Meteor Shower
Apr 21st, 2005, 09:21 AM
Why isn't anyone posting? Consider this as a cheering thread at turny.. you always post there but never here :confused: :confused:
I know we lost and the chances are small now, but we gotta look forward and be optimistics.

Israel vs. Greece
Anna & tzipi in singles (horrible choice from Oded Yaakov the idiot, he is lowering every confidence that Shahar has)
doubles to be decided
a must win 3-0 and in straight sets! good luck girl!

Other match: Ukraine vs. Belarus. If Belarus win we are out. Good luck Ukraine!

Shonami Slam
Apr 21st, 2005, 02:47 PM
we're out - shahar is gunna feel what it's like to be the dissapointing part of the equation - better now than later on in life.
she's going to be expected to win matches all the time now, she can't still lose matches she shouldn't. i know viki is strong and fed-cup brings out the best in some players - but shahar should have shifted into gear.
she will probably wis another great match in her next torny, but she is going to remember this loss dearly for a long, long time.

Meteor Shower
Apr 21st, 2005, 05:25 PM
we're out - shahar is gunna feel what it's like to be the dissapointing part of the equation - better now than later on in life.
she's going to be expected to win matches all the time now, she can't still lose matches she shouldn't. i know viki is strong and fed-cup brings out the best in some players - but shahar should have shifted into gear.
she will probably wis another great match in her next torny, but she is going to remember this loss dearly for a long, long time.

I hope not :sad:

Meteor Shower
Apr 22nd, 2005, 03:01 PM
Israel d. Ukraine 3-0 :D
Shahar d. V. Bodarekno 6-2 6-1 :)
Anna d. A. Bodarenko 3-6 6-0 6-1 :)
Shahar/tzipi d. A.V Bodarenko 6-1 6-2 :)
Impressive.. well done girls.

if tzipi/Shahar would go first on day one I think we would have qualified. but when you got bad captain, that's what happens. Maybe next year..

Win tomorrow also girls!