PDA

View Full Version : Marat and his $5000 fine

EGYPT
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:18 PM
I just read the following in CNNSI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/jon_wertheim/news/2002/04/01/mailbag/)

Question
Can you confirm what the British press have been reporting regarding a falling out between ATP sponsor Mercedes Benz and Marat Safin? Apparently, he totaled his loaner car in Miami, claimed someone else was driving it and then chewed out the tour organizers when they refused to replace the car. After that, Mercedes Benz allegedly said they want nothing further to do with Safin. Does the ATP fine players for this sort of behavior?

John Werthiem's answer
Just to set the record straight: Safin dinged up (hardly totaled) the C-Class Benz that he was given to drive during the tournament. He then had his coach ask for an S-Class. When the Mercedes reps saw the minor damage, they effectively said. "S-class? You'll get no class." Safin then allegedly suggested that the Mercedes rep perform a sex act on him. (To compound his boorishness, the Mercedes rep just so happened to be Mal Washington's pregnant wife. D-ohhhh.) The Tour fined Safin $5,000, which he'll be able to find behind the cushions in his couch.

If this is true then the $5000 fine is a joke. While I love to watch his tennis, I for one am disgusted. I suppose Marat felt like a real man(all 6ft 4" of him) having a go at a pregnant women (and the wife of a fellow professional to boot).

I suspect that Jon Wertheim's disclosure on the incident is a far greater punishment in terms of embarrassment and shame(if indeed he has any) to Marat Safin than the $5000 fine.

Just my thoughts.

CC
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:35 PM
Wow :eek: I wonder if Mal will be paying him a visit?

EGYPT
Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:01 AM
CC,

I suspect that Mal has too much dignity and class to bother with Marat - although it would be fun if he did !!!:eek: