PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Alexandra going to Europe?

maccardel
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:14 PM
I figured that this would be an opportunity to get much needed bonus points and to really get used to clay since I cannot remember any succeses on clay........

Does anybody know why?

bwguy
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:39 PM
Auditioning for the "Mame" revival?

anton
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:55 PM
She said she needed a break I think. But her game is not suited very well for clay. She is playing Hilton Head and Amelia Island I think. Plus she has played already a lot of events so a break might be good.

In her own words, she said of those events she was skipping that she was going to "let someone else win them."

Celeste
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:55 PM
She's been playing her ass off. Maybe she just needs a break. As far as she's come this year, I think she is still very uncomfortable on clay. Not unlike Lindsay Davenport in previous years, maybe she's using this time as a break, figuring she won't do that well anyway. At this point, she's guaranteed a seed at WB and was a second round casualty there last year, so she can continue her points climb at that tournament and then be somewhat fresh for the pre-U.S. Open tour. Who knows, just a guess on my part!

CC
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:56 PM
She has said that she will play Amelia Ilse and S. Carolina but will take the next three weeks off to work on fitness. She knows exactly what is missing from her game now, and wants to work on it.

maccardel
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:29 PM
But if she was expecting to be seeded at Roland Garros..You figure the girl may want to practice with the warm-ups tourneys....maybe she can move up to a higher rank like maybe top 20 or 15....

I guess if she'd played through-out til RG then she won't have enough time for Wimbledon.

Hopefully she's practicing at home....I want to see Alex at least 15 in the rankings.

Volcana
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:38 PM
Her schedule last year was Amelia Island, Charleston, Roland Garros. So she's not losing any points. If she really said she was taking a three week break, that MAY mean she's thinking of playing Rome or Berlin.

But playing on clay won't help her win Wimbledon.

anton
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:08 AM
I think she wants to do better on grass and on hardcourts in the summer so she is preparing for that more and not the clay. Davenport does the same thing.

venusfan
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:10 AM
I thought Alexandra got her act togather this year but that 6-2,6-0 trashing by hingis has left me no confidence in Alexandra..

Jakeev
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:12 AM
CC is right.....Alex did say in an interview she wanted to work on improving her fitness.

She is gonna compete in Paris; but I think at this point, finding good results on grass and the California hard courts are more important to her right now than what she might do on clay.

She knows what she wants I say good for her.

CC
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by venusfan
I thought Alexandra got her act togather this year but that 6-2,6-0 trashing by hingis has left me no confidence in Alexandra..

She conceded that that was contributed to by a fitness issue. Thus her plans to work on it.

Jakeev
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:31 AM
furthermore venusfan.....I hope she dashes right before your eyes right into the top ten....

Celeste
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:51 AM
I like her, but I think as well as she's done, she won't do much on clay. Why waste time at 2-4 events in Europe where in all likelihood, she'll get tossed the first round she plays. She won't beat European qualifiers on that surface. Go the the French, see what happens, but PREPARE for Wimbledon. She knows grass is her best surface and that surface means a lot to her. Don't wear yourself down traveling for like 3 points. That's my take.

Dawn Marie
Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:46 AM
Agree with Jakeev and Celeste on what they mentioned. This is a smart move from Alexandra. I am also glad to hear her say that she is going to work on fitness. I always thought that was a major issue with her game.

Venusfan, that 2/6 0/6 was not as bad as it lookes. Alot of those points were close, but Alex didin't work the big points well. Alex was mentally out of it. I mean come on Hingis is not going to give an inch. Actually I liked alot of things that I saw from Alex. Her volleys were classic and her groundstrokes were smooth. I'm telling yah.. Alex has a beautiful game and when it gets together, I think she will win some slams. Especially Wimbeldon. I love the Serve n. Volley style.. alot. I miss seeing that in tennis. Especially from a top top contender.. And I think Alex has what it takes to be a top serve'n volleyer in the game.:):)

TM
Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:07 AM
umm...she's an american and she is afraid that she would be harmed? :wavey:

Jakeev
Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:46 AM
What cha getting at TM cause I got a quick answer for ya.......

Rollo
Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:49 AM
Smart , smart, smart. The bad defeat to Hingis was ONE bad loss in what has been an impressive season.
I wouldn't even blame Alex for skipping Roland Garros, because frankly she is a sitting duck on clay, much like Tanasugarn. She's a good bet to do well on grass or even win Birmingham. She's moved up fast in the rankings and a strategic break when most events are on her worst surface is good.

2ace2
Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:42 AM
I think it's a good decision!
And I'm also sure she'll be in top 20 soon!
:D

Monica_Rules
Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:08 AM
I think it is a good idea to skip a few events to take a break i'm sure she'll get a few wins on clay this season but she wont win titles!

Good luck to alex though with grass coming up i'd watch her i'm sure Birmingham will be her title this year!

Williams Rulez
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:24 PM
I think it is a good idea... if she can lose a few pounds... why not? She is not going to earn that many points in Europe anyway... so why not trade in a few weeks for a long term benefit to her game? :D

Cam'ron Giles
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:46 PM
Right on Alex...;)

Volcana
Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:05 PM
I respectfully submit the Year-to-Date rankings as of 4-1-2 as an indication that Alexandra knows what she's doing.

1861 01 M.HINGIS
1606 02 M.SELES
1521 03 J.CAPRIATI
1387 04 V.WILLIAMS
1063 05 S.WILLIAMS
0842 06 A.MAURESMO
0768 07 D.HANTUCHOVA
0751 08 J.HENIN
0678 09 K.CLIJSTERS
0635 10 S.FARINA-ELIA
0578 11 A.STEVENSON
0525 12 T.TANASUGARN