1993: 2-0 *I refuse to count the stabbing as as a loss....*
1996: 5-1
1997: 13-4
1998: 15-4
1999: 13-3
2000: 17-2
2001: 0-1
2002: tbd

I've seen about 5 threads discussing how 'awful', 'slow', 'bad' she is on the dirt, and I guess looking at the numbers above I'd have to agree. Monica stinks on clay.....

paigery
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:33 PM
A hard court player for sure, but Monica is strength training and looking to go to as many tourneys as possible. She could go to the quartes at least!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kart
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:13 PM
1990 - 1992 just 3 losses on clay :eek: ... can't imagine who 2 of those losses were to ;)

I know that Monica can have a great clay court season this year :).

Go for it Monica !!!

tennisfun
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:24 PM
How childish are you for creating such a thread?

CanadianBoy21
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:30 PM
well she will stuggle on clay or whatever when she meets the Serena Williams of 2002.
And when she meets Venus, boy, VENUS WANTS REVENGE, clay, or whatever, don't matter.

Kart
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:34 PM
Well, last time I looked Serena struggled against Monica :p so nothing is ever to be taken for granted.

As for Venus, she may want revenge but she's going to have to take it - Monica isn't just going to hand it over :rolleyes: .

Ryan
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:41 PM
Especially on clay. Venus will have to literally tear the racket out of Monica's hands before she'll get her revenge easily.

AjdeNate!
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by tennisfun
How childish are you for creating such a thread?

sarcasm - (n.) A contemptuously ironic remark.

irma
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:48 PM
I agree with seles, Monica does suck on clay and I don`t think she will reach the quarters of roland garros this year, she only did it 9 times out of 9 starts, that`s really, really bad;)

AjdeNate!
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:53 PM
lol @ irma : thanks for understanding where I was going!!!!!

Monica_Rules
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:58 PM
I agree she sucks big time on clay bi mean 1990 was atroucious no losses what was she thinking!:rolleyes:

No seriously Monica will kick butt on clay Venus,Serena,Martina and Jenny wont stop her not even Amelie!:eek:

AjdeNate!
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:06 PM
Maybe Momo will get a set.... Nah, who are we kidding! ;)

Crazy Canuck
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:11 PM
SO true Seles. Monica should just retire and accept that its clearly all over.

There is no way she can even hold a torch to the players of today.

tb
Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:30 AM
Monica's clay record speaks for itself doesn't it! Her mental toughness, tenacity, penetrating groundstrokes and angles all contribute to her success on this surface. Also, lets not forget about her willingness to dictate the point, which i think we saw a lot of in the recent Capriati match-Monica had Jen on the run throughout the match. I would look for a different outcome in this matchup on clay!! Someone mentioned Amelie-some difficulties against her lately although on clay Monica defeated her in straight sets in Ital. finals '00 and R16 French '00. Current #2 in race to chase, very close to # 4 in official rankings, with no points to defend(except 1) thru Wimbledon-RG 2002-here comes Seles!

Dawn Marie
Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:40 AM
I was so about to say!! *what is this? Some April Fools Joke?*LOL *some deranged being who knows nothing of tennis?*

Then when I popped in I noticed the sarcasm.. kudos. ;)

disposablehero
Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Seles
1993: 2-0 *I refuse to count the stabbing as as a loss....*

Good for you. I have held this position for years. Yet another unjust punishment heaped by the tour on Monica, that she HAS a perfect record against the Maleevas but they choose to blemish it.

I've seen about 5 threads discussing how 'awful', 'slow', 'bad' she is on the dirt

What? Are you telling me the world has gotten even more mindless in my abscence? Why don't they spend their time on more constructive things, like telling us how shitty Venus is on grass?

Seles_Beckham
Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:09 AM
I HOPE SHE IS GOING TO HAVE A GREAT CLAY SEASON.
( IF SHE WIN IN ROLAND GARROS ) :) THAT WILL BE WONDERFULL.

GO MONIKA.
SHOW THEM WHO IS THE BEST ON CLAY ( YOU ARE THE QUEEN ):hearts:

gogetter
Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:32 AM
Monica has had great results so far this year and has been very inspiring with her gutsy play. Although she looked tired at Indian Wells against Martina, I think she played terrific tennis at Nasdaq against Jen. Really looking forward to seeing her play on clay this year, and I wouldn't mind seeing a Monica vs. Jen final at RG!

Ingridy
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:37 AM
Maybe she can make it just like the old days..... She was great on clay.... Come on , Monica!

supremeross
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:53 PM
WHile Monica has an incredible impressive record on clay... I don't think she'll win the tourney that counts: Roland Garros. She has already played a lot of tourneys this year and has repeatedly complained of how exhausted she is lately. But what does she do? She signs up for Amelia Island, Charleston, Fed Cup and Rome. I think Monica will be spent IF she makes it to the second week of the FO. I don't think her endurance is what it use to be and that schedule of hers is crazy.

Kart
Apr 5th, 2002, 08:50 PM
Her schedule is not that crazy supremeross - by only playing Rome in Europe she'll be playing only one tournament (plus two Fed Cup matches) in four weeks leading up to the French open so I think she'll have enough rest by Roland Garros.