PDA

View Full Version : What Jenny needs to work on (imo)..

vw43
Apr 1st, 2002, 08:30 PM
I don't get to watch nearly as much tennis as I would like to so I'm no expert. However, after watching Jen's match against Serena I thought she may be able to improve on a few things in preparation for defending her RG title.

SERVE

Although her serve has not been breaking down as much, it is also not the weapon it could be. With Jen's power, I think she should be serving more aces ala Lindsay Davenport. This would obviously help her hold her serve and give her some easy points if needed.

Concentration

Jen seems to lose focus after winning a few points in a row or after breaking her opponents serve. In her match against Serena she would break Serena and then immediately fall 0-30 on her own serve. She needs to keep her concentration consistent throughout the match. She should be so focused on tennis that she just mentally blocks out the cell phones, flashes...lol.

Variety

I like when Jen mixes up her pace a little more. She likes to bait the opponents with a few slower balls or slices to get them off rhythm and then burn them with a sizzler. I noticed Serena doing that more to Jen then the other way around. Also, go up to the net now and then. Even if you don't win the point at least your not allowing your opponent to get into a rhythm.

Any other ideas? There's not too much to complain about in Cap's game but there is always room for improvement. I would love to see her defend her RG title.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

veryborednow
Apr 1st, 2002, 08:35 PM
Go to Jenns Denn, I've explained posting pics there :)

she just mentally blocks out the cell phones, flashes.

easier said than done, though. The anger she generates from cell phones may help her in a match. I'm not sure....

SassyMolassy
Apr 1st, 2002, 08:37 PM
...HER WEIGHT!

vw43
Apr 1st, 2002, 08:38 PM
lol..I think she's one of the few that does do better when she's angry...

I know how to post pics but I didn't know you couldn't post angelfire pics...:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

I'll go to the den to see what you say though. :)

RAA
Apr 1st, 2002, 08:45 PM
Jen seems to play best when her back is against the wall. I think we've all seen that. that is a great trait, however, eventually it catches up with her. she is VERY focussed and determined when she is down set point or match point, but she definitely seems to lose focus when she is in the lead... the odds are against her to come back from a big deficit ALL the time.
I do wish she would be less distracted on the court, but I do think, as another poster says, this doesn't seem to hurt her THAT much - I mean, she usually steps it up in big points. jen definitely seems to play better when she's agitated or mad. so if cell phones get her going,well then, so be it.
so, i guess the bottom line is I think she needs to have a little more concentration during the routine games of the match. her concentration and fight during big points is one of the best, but she needs to maintain that throughout the match.
just my two cents. shes a great champ and a great fighter.
Ruth in philly pa usa

vw43
Apr 1st, 2002, 08:49 PM
I agree Ruth.

:wavey:

paigery
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:44 PM
I have to agree that the serve could be consistent. She could win more points and close out more matches ( Miami) (Scottsdale) and if she perfected that serve, watch out!! I think her getting angry helps her game, but I feel a little less displays of her feelings would be better for her. She is awesome, I believe she will improve over the next couple of weeks to prepare to defend her title in South Carolina. Watch out at Roland Garros.............

maccardel
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:46 PM
1.personality
2.weight
3.outfit
4.using new cuss words..."we've heard those all before"
5.trying to be more like Venus and not Serena
6.Being anybody but Jennifer Capriati

paigery
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:50 PM
weight, at least she is not a string bean or big with a huge backside. Haters go away, all you do is hate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

woo hoo

gogetter
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:56 PM
Maccardel,
Why are you such a Jen hater? I've read a few of your posts now and you actually go out of your way to put her down. If you don't like her, fine-- I can live with that-- but you actually like to spread hatred about her, which I think is downright evil. This thread is about what Jen needs to improve on in her tennis game, and most comments I've read have been thoughtful and constructive. If you don't have anything to say about that, then don't. I don't appreciate you coming in and trying to incite people into anger by talking trash about Jen. Thank you.

paigery
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:59 PM
LOL thank you:) :bounce: :) :bounce: :kiss:

maccardel
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:16 AM
let me explain...

In trying to be like Venus that means that she can best Serena all the time and since Venus only can beat Venus...then she will beat the real Venus.......

She needs a different personality that accommodates her talent. she lets the suituation gets the best of her by re-acting in ways that causes her to lose focus and then concentration afterwards...

If she improved on those then she will seen better results.

Her outfit wasnot designed for tennis...it messes her up with her movement and agility.
Her weight is self explanatory........I wasn't the only one who saw the flabs under the outfit....c'mon the girl has taken Serena's spot along with her own on line at McDonald's.

maccardel
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:20 AM
gogetter--this is not a hate thread...being direct does not imply hate.

Read the follow-up post and see what I meant...

Obviously you cannot stand someone talking about your fav and her short comings.

venusfan
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:20 AM
GETTING A SPORTS BRA AND AN ATTITUDE AJUSTMENT

gogetter
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:18 AM
maccardel, you have some strange logic, but I'll dialogue with you.

"In trying to be like Venus that means that she can best Serena all the time and since Venus only can beat Venus...then she will beat the real Venus....... "

Are you saying that anyone who tries to beat Serena is trying to be like Venus? Pardon me if I'm wrong but isn't everyone trying to beat each other-- that's the name of this game, right? So then I don't understand this comment, other than huge ego on behalf of your faves, for you to think that no one can beat them other than each other.

"She needs a different personality that accommodates her talent. she lets the suituation gets the best of her by re-acting in ways that causes her to lose focus and then concentration afterwards... "

Fans of Jen don't see her personality as an issue. In fact we see her personality as a reason for her success. I think people who have a problem with her personality may be (understandably at times) offended by her... but that's not a reason to say that she should change. If it works for her, then she should stick with it, and it undeniably works for her. We've seen her time after time come back after being p-o'd at some line call or other.

"Her outfit wasnot designed for tennis...it messes her up with her movement and agility. "

How do you know this? Have you worn her outfits? To my knowledge she wears FILA, maker of primo tennis outfits. Also, most commentators agree that she moves quite well on the court.

"Her weight is self explanatory........I wasn't the only one who saw the flabs under the outfit....c'mon the girl has taken Serena's spot along with her own on line at McDonald's."

As long as her weight doesn't affect her movement then you have no call say any of this, it's just simply derogatory and that last comment especially was uncalled-for.

Also, I have no issues with people making constructive criticisms of my faves, just as long as they're not hateful.

maccardel
Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:15 AM
gogetter---Just say you don't understand

I mean in order to stabilize the Serena effect she needs to approach Serena like Venus approaches Serena....Venus said that she beats herself that is why she loses...then why won't jen approach venus like venus approaches venus.

Her outfit was not designed for that kinda temperature and playing tennis....When she sweats then that's more material sticking to her body and is uncomfortable and yes can effect her movement and the ability to properly execute her shots.

Her weight is not fit...what's wrong in pointing that out?

Her personality is off and could use improvement.

This is the last time I'll be breaking it down..if some can't understand but ratherlook at it as negative then sorry. Everyone know what I'm talking about but because the signature says Venus....then instead of looking for the point and truth they rather try to tell others what I'm trying to say....

Don't do it!!!!!

vw43
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:14 PM
I've just added a person for the first time to my Ignore List. :sad:

brickhousesupporter
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:18 PM
that is good for you but there is no need to announce that?:rolleyes:

maccardel
Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:28 PM
exactly...the only thread i see these people is in jen threads...why can't I voice my opinions without being called a hater...damm!!!! I'm not gonna say things only to be liked. I'm voicing the truth.....and opinion.....

paigery
Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:32 PM
Opinion has never been called truth. Learn that and you will be better off. So you don't like Capriati, fine, thats your opinion, but don't discount her ability because you don't like to watch her.

gogetter
Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:04 PM
This is the last time I'll post in this thread because it's not my intent to participate in a thread war of any sort. Maccardel, this thread started out as a thread on Jen's TENNIS game. If you look at your first posting, can you see why I might think it has nothing to do with tennis but only about you annoucing your hatred of Jen? If you can see someone else's perspective on this then I think we've made headway.

I understand now that you had reasoning behind your response, but by initially throwing it out there with no reasoning it can be looked at as very hatred-mongering. Also, I will have to say that I don't agree with any of your analysis because you make it too personal and not really about tennis, but there, I'm willing to live with our differences of opinion.

Peace.

supremeross
Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:03 PM
While I'm not a fan of Jen Cap, I do respect her game. I was at the finals on Saturday and she does have game, and no she did not look big or fat in person. She's an athlete, with a muscular body, but by no means fat or out of shape. Although I thought that she was at her fittest last year during the clay court season. I think the two areas that she can improve most in are her serve, she double faulted on the final set point, and a couple more times during critical times. And I think her concentration needs improving. The audience didn't seem to be affecting Serena's play and yes I know that they are two different players, she could stand to learn how to block out distractions like that and that would help her alot also, instead of using up percious energy complaining about the crowds and senseless line calls (because I have yet to see a chair umpire reverse a call - on hardcourt), she should concentrate on holding serve, especially just after having broken her opponents serve. Just my two cents.

Long Live Serena Williams!!!!!!!!!!

vw43
Apr 3rd, 2002, 03:54 PM
Thanks supreme for your constructive criticism. I agree with the serve and concentration issues.

The weight issue has been brought up quite a bit and in not a very constructive way but I think it should be addressed.

I think perhaps she could be more toned but she does seem very fit. She is moving well on the court and seems to have a lot of energy. I don't think fitness is an issue but that is my own opinion.

:)