PDA

View Full Version : On which surface is the slice the most effective?

Yak
Apr 1st, 2002, 08:14 PM
What do you think???

saki
Apr 1st, 2002, 08:28 PM
I think grass.

RYNJ
Apr 1st, 2002, 08:29 PM
Grass because it will skid, but more people use the shot on clay.

kyale01
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:27 PM
you would think grass but if you think about it.

it will be more useful on clay because it will mix up the pace and height of the ball

instead of having just high balls you can keep the ball low and stop players from attacking high bouncing balls

Brian Stewart
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:43 PM
Grass. On other surfaces, the friction actually reverses the spin of the ball on the bounce, changing the underspin to overspin. On grass, the ball keeps the original spin direction.

Kart
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:48 PM
I'd say grass as well - although in the last few years the Wimbledon courts seem (to me) to play more like hardcourts so I'm not surprised we see it used so little even there.

Martian Martin
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:58 PM
Definitely grass, you only have to look at how successful Steffi was at Wimbledon.

Zhao
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:17 AM
tough choice
i pick clay steffi did use her backhand slice to knock off the top3 seeds in FO99

tennischick
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:22 AM
i've honestly always thought that the slice could be effective on all surfaces. unlike the serve that is especially effective on hardcourts/grass but not necessarily on clay, i've always thought of the slice as an all-surface shot. live and learn...

Jordan.
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:46 AM
Grass......:wavey:

TeNnIsFaN
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:43 AM
Grass

spotsyboy
Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:30 AM
The prevailing opinion is grass and I would agree :)

need more convincing? Anyone remember watching Hingis' loss to Virginia Ruano Pascual last year at Wimby? Even with Martina not playing to her potential, she was greatly troubled by Vivi's endless slicing on the backhand. I seem to remember they looked like awfully nasty shots..... :)

tennisvideos
Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:30 AM
Definately grass. If you ever play someone who slices on grass you would't even have to ask this question. The ball just skids so low it makes it very awkward.

On clay, a slice shot does not have much of an impact. It just sits there, and although it doesn't bounce that high, you can still attack it.

Also, a slice is very effective on synthetic grass - and we have a LOT of that in Sydney Australia. Great surface BTW. I wished the Aussie Open was played on it. Good cushioning and it's a great compromise between hardcourt and grass. You can still stay back and have baseline rallies or it can also suit a S&V player.

Rollo
Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:25 AM
Echoing tennisvideos, spotsyboy, Tennisfan and Kart-it's grass without a doubt. Graf's slice was more of a liability on clay than an asset. If slice was just as effective on other surfaces we would see the same amount of slice today as in the past. No one in today's top 10 uses slice regularly. Contrast that with the 70's(when 3 of the 4 slams were on grass) and most of the top 10 had slice backhands.

Scotso
Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:30 AM
Most certainly grass!

It's surprising "claycourters" don't do better at Wimby! :D