PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham (UK), WTA tournament.

bluepastures
Apr 1st, 2002, 04:07 PM
Yesterday I booked my tickets for the DFS WTA open in Birmingham in June. I'll be there from Saturday to the Friday (missing the final two days because of Eastbourne).
However, I've not been to this tournament before, so what are the spectator facilities like (I've got a seat on the stand opposite the umpire's chair)? Also how many courts approximately are used during the tournament. Hopefully someone on this forum might have been to the tournament in previous year.

Mateo Mathieu
Apr 1st, 2002, 04:10 PM
I hate seat behind umpire's chair! :mad: LOL!

veryborednow
Apr 1st, 2002, 04:11 PM
bluep - how did you do that, cos I want to go :) I was thinking of going wednesday/thursday ...

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 1st, 2002, 04:18 PM
One main court, pretty good seating on 3 sides of stadium

on outside 4 courts around back, there are alot of chairs (free moving).

on outside courts is where the players come and sit if they are not practising (4 courts near front entrance)

Its a pretty friendly tourn and you don't need to book tickets to get in here anyway as not many people attend.

bluepastures
Apr 1st, 2002, 04:20 PM
http://boxoffice.necgroup.co.uk/tennis.asp

Go to this address and click on the DFS classic link (not the Nottingham men's link). You can book them online using credit or debit card. The only bad thing is that you have to book each day separately (so in my case I had to type in my details 5 times!!!).

Obviously you don't need to book for the first Saturday and Sunday qualifying.

Alex Sydney, the only good thing about sitting behind the umpire's chair is you get more opportunities for photos, when players change ends, etc.

Mateo Mathieu
Apr 1st, 2002, 04:23 PM
True, bluepestures ;)

veryborednow
Apr 1st, 2002, 04:25 PM
thank you, I'll go persuade my mum to give me her credit card ... shouldnt be too hard ...

bluepastures
Apr 1st, 2002, 04:29 PM
Actually, the worst is at some of the smaller indoor challengers where, some of them force you to watch through nets ARGGHH!

For indoor, the best situation is either small stands (i.e Redbridge), or overhead viewing galleries, like the superb new venue at Bolton/Horwich where they held the nationals last year.

IMHO, my favourite situation is at the relaxed outdoor challengers, like Felixstowe or West Hampstead, where you get a terrific view of the match.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 1st, 2002, 04:31 PM
Bolton's new complex is very good :)
and i hope that gets an upgrade to 50K status.

MLF
Apr 1st, 2002, 05:11 PM
I saw the Navratilova-Zvereva final way back in the early '90s and it was an enjoyable day. There can be a good atmosphere but it needs a name player to draw the fans in. The years when Navratilova entered guaranteed a good turn out and that year Graf played ticket sales were good but unfortunately the tournament got washed out from the quarters on which is Birmingham's other problem - the weather. Somebody like Kournikova could draw in a good crowd and I'm sure she would have a good title shot in this event.

Halardfan
Apr 1st, 2002, 06:33 PM
It was OK I suppose, though the place felt a bit posh and middle class. The atmosphere was nice but staid, I was one of the few people emotionally invloved with the matches.

But I had a wonderful day there in 99...Got to see a set of the rain delayed semi between wonderful Julie and Cara Black, then the nerve racking three set final grudge match betwee Halard and ermm Tauziat.

Julie won the tournie, and I manged to sneak around the back of the stands and get an autograph from the great one. Fine day. :)

bluepastures
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:05 PM
Well, TBE, I'm very disappointed what the LTA have done. They've taken away the 25k that Bolton had last year (which followed the Nationals) and given it to Nottingham. I think that's a terrible decision, Nottingham is certainly one of the poorer venues to watch tennis at. It's also several miles from the town centre.
Compare this to Bolton, which is adjacent to a big shopping/ restaurant/ cinema complex, and opposite a hotel which is convenient.
:confused: This is a bit odd. The LTA list has got a 50k in Cardiff in October (14-20) the week after a 25k at the same venue (7-13). It say's they're both ladies tournaments

Monica_Rules
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:17 PM
Thats very odd!

Anyway i'm thinking of bunking off school for a few days and go to Birmingham probably ther monday or tuesday!

bluepastures
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:38 PM
Actually, looking at LTA tournament guide again, I think they made an error. The 50k is likely to be a men's tournament because the LTA contact name, is for someone who normally deals with men's tournaments.
Which brings me to my next point, why oh why, is there still less money for ladies than men at all levels of British tennis.

Bournemouth at the start of May (15k for men, 10k for Ladies)
Hatfield later in May (same as Bournemouth)
Bath in August (same as above)

Julie
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:16 AM
Im going on the final saturday/ sunday - again i have seats opposite the umpire- but thats where most people sit - the seats behind the umpire are always reserved.

I like it - its a nice friendly tournament - with easy access to players :D :D - i went last year on the final sunday and saw both semis and the doubles final. It was a great jam packed day of tennis :)

Julie
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:18 AM
Oh and insider info - for those of you with families - they actually do a family ticket - but oyu can only buy it via telesales (not on the internet) basically its the cost of two adults only with the two kids going free.

bluepastures
Apr 4th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Received my Birmingham tickets yesterday (in five separate envelopes!), and my Eastbourne ticket today. Very quick considering I ordered them on Monday.
Hotels are booked too (after initial problems for Eastbourne because their hotels are so busy then).
I've got a feeling my seat for Centre court at Eastbourne is pretty far back (U31, East Stand). Oh well, serves me right for booking relatively late.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 4th, 2002, 03:03 PM
don't worry about that, most of stands are empty anyway ;)

Well its no probs for me but then again ;)

bluepastures
Apr 4th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Well, certainly for the last couple of matches each evening at Eastbourne (usually doubles), there are far less spectators and then I should be able to move forward.
Anyway I'll probably spend almost as much time on court one.

Has anybody else noticed how poorly the hospitality seats (at the front of the South stand) are populated? Only the LTA and the players' friends/relatives seats are usually occupied.

veryborednow
Apr 4th, 2002, 08:12 PM
I want to go by myself ... but my mum wants to come with me :(

ugh