PDA

View Full Version : What two NON-WILLIAMS players should ESPN risk the money to show on tape delay?

Volcana
Apr 8th, 2005, 03:25 AM
First, I'd like to thank tennisIlove09 for the article from TennisWeek from I drew these facts. His thread --> http://wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=5232554#post5232554

Couple interesting points in that article, leading to thread title.

Federer-Agassi drew better than Venus-Sharapova, but there's a lot less available audience on a Thursday afternoon than a Friday night. People have jobs. But Venus-Sharapova found a LOT of viewers.

A tape delayed women's match, at 12:40am, with the outcome known, actually pulled an audience only slightly smaller than the average. ESPN will probably attribute that to the enduring popularity of Venus and Serena, but I would encourage them to be a bit more open-minded. Certainly if scheduling dictates a Williams-Sharapova match (either Williams) is scheduled against an Agassi match, they ought to at least consider the late-night tape delay option.

But the real question is, what two non-Williams players should they take the monetary risk of a tape delayed broadcast?

Please understand, I mean show on tape delay, late at night, as opposed to not showing at all.

In making suggestions, please remain aware that ESPN doesn't are a lick about women's tenis, or sports in general, really. They're in it to make money. Vaidisova vs Kirilenko might really do it for YOU, but it would cost ESPN money, and the tour credibility. Very few people are tuning into that match at 12:40am when they already the score, who won, and have already read any articles written about it. I'D stay up to see Angela Haynes vs Shahar Peer on tape delay, and so would three other people. Not good enough.

On the other hand, Jennifer Capriati vs Maria Sharapova might draw a 0.2, maybe even a 0.3. That's a money making number.

Excerpts for articleFederer-Agassi match on Friday night, April 1st was ESPN2's highest-rated match, drawing 590,000 households, followed by Thursday afternoon's clash between Sharapova and Venus Williams, which reached 512,000 homes.

Interestingly, the Williams sisters quarterfinal, which aired on tape delay on ESPN2 starting at 12:40 a.m. Eastern on March 30th generated a 0.4 rating in reaching 346,000 homes — a positive performance given the late-night start time on the East Coast and the fact that viewers already knew the result by the time the match was aired.

* ESPN2's Key Biscayne coverage reached an average of 394,000 homes

* ESPN's Key Biscayne coverage reached an average of 351,000 homes

uNIVERSEmAN
Apr 8th, 2005, 03:27 AM
I see this thread as becoming an ESPN hate thread very soon.

Volcana
Apr 8th, 2005, 03:55 AM
I see this thread as becoming an ESPN hate thread very soon.Why? Seems to me ESPN is working in right direction. They're showin AI Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Nice for a Tier II. I just want them to jump in with both feet instead of sticking their (figurative) toe inthe water.

uNIVERSEmAN
Apr 8th, 2005, 04:43 AM
I didn't say it's a bad thing, ESPN F'ing sux!

uNIVERSEmAN
Apr 8th, 2005, 04:44 AM
my comments were based on their coverage of IW and Miami.

Volcana
Apr 8th, 2005, 07:26 AM
ESPN is what we got. If the NHL hadn't cancelled their season, we wouldn't have as much cvoerage as we do.