PDA

View Full Version : Jennifer Capriati : True Champion

paigery
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:11 PM
Jennifer Capriati has been an inspiration and role model to young women her age all over the world. Her Cinderella story was made of hard work and determination. It kills me the way that people discount her talent and dispute her number one status. This woman has exceeded the other players in the past year and deserves to be number one. In the past year she has beaten all the top ten players! She has won three grand slams, she has been the rankings leader in the WTA, and has one of the best games in the sport. It is the typical cliche` get to the top and everybody trys to steal your glory. So let Jennifer bask in the glory and play her game, and let whatever happens happen, but don't count this champion out, just when you do she will win it all......................:wavey:

The clay court season is upon us and great things are bound to happen. At least this year the road to number one is better than last year as martina held on to it and wasn't winning titles. We will see................................ Paigery

vw43
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:16 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

Jennifer Capriati is the #1 player in the World and right now she deserves to be. That is all that matters.

Experimentee
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:31 PM
I dont dispute jen being number one, she worked hard for it, but your wrong she hasnt beaten all the top ten players. Shes actually 0-4 against venus.

the_ancyent_marinere
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:34 PM
Jennifer is great so many ways -- nothing else matters:bounce: :wavey:

paigery
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Experimentee
I dont dispute jen being number one, she worked hard for it, but your wrong she hasnt beaten all the top ten players. Shes actually 0-4 against venus.

Oh, I consider that huge Miami match with eight match points a winner for Capriati!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, Venus... sorry:eek:

paigery
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by paigery
Jennifer Capriati has been an inspiration and role model to young women her age all over the world. Her Cinderella story was made of hard work and determination. It kills me the way that people discount her talent and dispute her number one status. This woman has exceeded the other players in the past year and deserves to be number one. In the past year she has beaten all the top ten players! She has won three grand slams, she has been the rankings leader in the WTA, and has one of the best games in the sport. It is the typical cliche` get to the top and everybody trys to steal your glory. So let Jennifer bask in the glory and play her game, and let whatever happens happen, but don't count this champion out, just when you do she will win it all......................:wavey:

:bounce: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce:

BarbaraBailey
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:51 PM
I agree, she has given a lot of inspiration to a lot of people. i take the point of jen not beating venus, but the mathces have been very very close. i also think the number one spot deserves to be jen's cos she has worked very very hard for that, which i don't think anyone could argue about.

i think she's brillaint and i always will.

XX Go Jen XX

XX Barbara XX

paigery
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:54 PM

:bounce: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce:

TeeRexx
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:58 PM
But she is not a proper role model.
I would not like for my daughter to have multiple arrest on her record.

vw43
Apr 1st, 2002, 02:03 PM
Couldn't resist going into a positive thread and spreading your negativity, huh Tee? You're getting so predictable it's almost not even fun having your around any more.

Although I would not want my daughter to have a police record, I would be so proud if she overcame the early negativity in her life to become a champion. Mistakes build character. It's so impressive when people can overcome the negativity of others who are always going to try and bring them down.

Now is now.

Jennifer Capriati is the #1 player in the World.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

paigery
Apr 1st, 2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by TeeRexx
But she is not a proper role model.
I would not like for my daughter to have multiple arrest on her record.

The past I have put away
Living for the glory days
I shall not be judged by mistakes
Be free to grow and learn my way
Leave my old self in the past
See today my completed tasks
I have matured and learned the lessons
Of life and love and all its blessings
For in my heart I have succeeded
The past is gone, never repeated

Volcana
Apr 1st, 2002, 02:53 PM
Oh, I consider that huge Miami match with eight match points a winner for Capriati!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, if youdon't have to actually WIN the match to receive credit for it, I guess you could say, ALL the players have beaten all the other players. What the WTA has then is a 1000 player tie for #1. I would have thought a fan of Jenn's would argue for a system that made Jenn #1 all by herself, not tied with 999 others, but hey, its all good, right? :)

Zhao
Apr 1st, 2002, 02:55 PM
actually because of her whenever i play tennis i really tends to go all out now..much more agressive than before and my forehand is almost an imitation of hers lol:D :D

veryborednow
Apr 1st, 2002, 03:01 PM
yay! a positive Jen thread!!

The comeback is amazing, you can't possibly dissagree. People have become cynical about it, now that she has achieved it. If she hadn't/struggled people would have been quicker to praise what she had achieved instead of being so ready to bash her.

Who, honestly, believed she could've come back as successfully as she has done backin say 1995/6??

I doubt anyone on this board did. And because she has, it makes her a special and true champion :)

:)

nikita771
Apr 1st, 2002, 03:06 PM
No one can deny that Jennifer is an extremely talented player. She is #1 because she deserves it. I"m not her biggest fan, but I can see how well she performs and give her all the credit that she deserves.

paigery
Apr 1st, 2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Volcana

Well, if youdon't have to actually WIN the match to receive credit for it, I guess you could say, ALL the players have beaten all the other players. What the WTA has then is a 1000 player tie for #1. I would have thought a fan of Jenn's would argue for a system that made Jenn #1 all by herself, not tied with 999 others, but hey, its all good, right? :)

:angel:

you seem to be taking what my point was out of text
Jennifer doesn't play Venus regularly, I did not include her in my point of Capriati beating all top ten players so I will give it to you that Venus won the Miami match last year, yes, but I feel Jennifer won in her heart. The difference in a champion and maybe a player that reaches number one is their heart and their mental conditioning, not basing their entire career on wins. Hopefully, Jennifer and Venus can meet again soon and just play hard.......... You are blowing what I said, and Capriati needs no one to "fix" the rankings, they speak for themselves......lol:D

maccardel
Apr 1st, 2002, 03:12 PM
So what?
You do good they talk about u..do bad and it's even worse..

There always going to be disputes on the rankings...but it keeps us involved.....

vw43
Apr 1st, 2002, 03:35 PM
It doesn't matter to me that Jen has not beat Venus in their 4 meetings because by watching those meetings, I know Jen can beat Venus. It is not like Venus is "dominating" or beating Jen easily.

Jen is the #1 player in the World because she has won 3 grand slams in the past 11/2 and has done consistently well in non-slam tournaments. At some point she may need to beat Venus to hold on to her #1 ranking. Right now it has not been a necessity.

:p

harloo
Apr 1st, 2002, 03:41 PM
She earned the #1 spot in my eyes, and I think she is an inspiration to some but certainly not a role model when she does her act on the court. JMHO. I think her story is pretty awesome for people trying to get their life back on track though.

I think today with the new players, Caprati, Venus will not always win which is good for the tour. I mean the #1 player use to be almost guarenteed the win, but I think the level of competition has increased and will increase even more in the next couple of years.

Also we will have to see if she can defeat Venus in the coming years. It will be exciting to see if she can pull it off. I think at this point she has the most consistent results in the few tournaments she has player, which is what the computer rank is looking for at this point. However, people will still question who's the real #1 until she beats Venus. I can't wait for the matchup again.

RAA
Apr 1st, 2002, 03:42 PM
I think Jen is great and is champion and a fighter.
she is #1 right now.

vw43
Apr 1st, 2002, 03:49 PM
However, people will still question who's the real #1 until she beats Venus.

Why? I don't think beating Venus is a prerequisite to be #1. Jennifer is #1 and is the player to beat, not Venus - and this "real" #1 stuff is so old.

I think Venus is a better player than Jen some of the time, and some of the time I think Jen is a better player than Venus. Right now, is one of those times that Jen is the better player. She is #1. Let her enjoy it, for heavens sake. IF Venus continues to play how she's been playing she may snatch it back before long.

Geez :rolleyes:

Volcana
Apr 1st, 2002, 05:37 PM
paigery - you can look it up. Everytime they have one of these, 'who's the REAL #1 threads, I always pick whoever's ranked there. The ranking is based on year long stats and should be.

I don't even really disagree with you. I just think your beliefs, if applied consistently lead to some very odd conclusions. I also think, based on her interviews, that Jenn and I are in agreement about that Miami match last year. She didn't win in HER Heart, she lost. How you feel is how you. If, in YOUR heart, you want to pretend Jenn won that match, that's totally cool with me.

Howevr, one of the more engaging aspects of Jenn is she isn't a bullsh*t artist. When she wins, she wins, when she loses she loses. I would lose respect for Jennifer if SHE came up with some sort of 'I feel in my heart I really won' crap. She's better than that.

veryborednow
Apr 1st, 2002, 05:42 PM
This is not a thread to argue about who's the real number 1.

Go do it somewhere else

thanks

gogetter
Apr 1st, 2002, 05:58 PM
I love this positive thread, and it's great that the true Jen fans are coming out to support her. Her story will always be my inspiration. Jen is playing rock-solid consistent tennis right now. Yeah, she may not get all the wins, but I'll put my money on her to come out ahead for the year. Whatever little bumps she encounters along the way, I know she'll overcome them, because she is a true CHAMP! I love you Jen, can't wait until RG!!! :hearts: :bounce: :hearts: :bounce:

paigery
Apr 1st, 2002, 06:24 PM
I would have to say that I disagree with the notion that Jennifer doesn't feel in her heart she won last year. After a quote in the May 2001 edition of Tennis magazine Capriati says that when she leaves the court, no matter the outcome she has won in her heart because of the battle she fought to overcome the past. This thread is based on my belief that Capriati is a champion. Everyone can hold their opinions about who should be number one, that isn't the issue. My point is that she defines a champion. Also, all the Capriati fans were not up in arms last year as Martina Hingis held the # 1 ranking although Jennifer won the first two slams plus three tier one events. Hingis did not win a slam since 99 but retained #1 until October 2001. Capriati waited her turn to get that top spot, and now to question her being in that spot to me is ridiculous. And for other threads to say she can't beat certain players has nothing to do with her being # 1 or a champion. Jennifer does say she didn't play her best in the matches with top opponents, she does admit to defeat, so all those that are negative to her should support their favorite player and if the other top ten ladies are true champions they will be number one eventually. And to Jennifer, just playing and winning and having fun are all that matters. We should all just have fun with it..........:)

Volcana
Apr 1st, 2002, 06:29 PM
ok

paigery
Apr 1st, 2002, 08:55 PM
Jennifer Capriati :p

How great was that semi-final with Seles with Jennifer celebrating her birthday on the court, and with Seles a longtime friend and Fed Cup team member!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark43
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:17 PM
After seeing Jennifer in person last week I am a bigger fan than ever. She is a drama queen and I love it. She really is an inspiration. Her 3 set victories over Myskinna, Iroda and Monica were amazing. Nothing would please me more than a battle for number 1 with Seles this year.

tennisfun
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:34 PM
I don't like Jen, but I agree she is the number one player right now, as the ranking says so. You don't have to beat certain player to be number 1. But please can some fan just be a little truthful to themselves. You can't consider a should or could win as a real win over someone. BTW, what Jen achieves is amazing, but it's her achievements, not yours. So don't gloat about someone else's glory like it's yours. You know what, after all, she lives a fantastic life herself while you still have to live yours.

paigery
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:41 PM
Excuse me, what am I missing. Her achievements as my own, ask any real fan of ANY sport and they will tell you they feel proud of their teams accomplishments. My life is great thank you..........

whatever:rolleyes:

tennisfun
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:49 PM
really? I don't think you have a life of yourself.

paigery
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:56 PM
:mad: whatever

harloo
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:16 AM
I just feel until she beats Venus, in many eyes she won't be viewed as the best. JMO, that's all. Like I said before she did earn the spot, so it's her's.:p

Jakeev
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:19 AM
You mean you actually wanna have kids TeeRex? lol lol lol :eek: :eek: :p :p

venusfan
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:28 AM
Capriati last match with Venus was a troucing.. Capriati got out strong, crowd all for Capriati, crowd cheering Venus errors and what did Venus do... She came back from 1-4 down to beat Capriati easily and make her look like a rag doll in the 2nd set..

Is there a pattern going on here... Capriati cant hold a leave again Venus and Serena.

I guess that Ericsson match is playing over in Cap head when she gets a lead on the sisters

gogetter
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:36 AM
Venusfan, why are you full of hate? Just remember that there's very bad charma in gloating. It tends to come back to you ten times over.

Barrie_Dude
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:01 AM

Thanks for the thread! I feel much the same way about Jennifer as you do. Overcoming whatever demons she had and battling back to become #1 is truly inspirational! And one has to take inspiration where it comes! Go, Jen, Go!:hearts: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Crazy Canuck
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:02 AM
paigery - thanks for at least trying to make a positive thread :) I know you did your best - its not your fault that the dark forces of haters came in and tried to plague it.

(that does NOT apply to the few who were simply offering contructive comments about how Venus had beaten Jenn all 4 times btw. Facts are facts.)

I like Jenn cause she is strong, and can never be counted out. She loses a match, and she moves on to the next tournament. She knows that tennis is tennis - its not all there is to live.

She is a great role model for those who have been down and out before- she proves that anyone can come back and live their dreams.

Not everyone is dealt a great hand of cards in life - she shows that you can still win anyhow, no matter how far down you seem to be.

Thanks Jenn :) :wavey:

tennischick
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:02 AM
whether or not Jen manages to beat Venus, the fact is that at this point in time she is both a champion and the deserved#1. i have no problem with that. but i do have a problem with her major melt-downs. i really think that her behavior on court is sometimes disgraceful. but this is not to take away from the fact that she is the #1 player at this point in time.

let's see if she manages to close out the year at #1. i would be very happy for her if she did, despite the antics on court.

paigery
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:51 PM
All players that are defending titles or ranking positions will undoubtebly play hard. We all know those matches are rough, physical and mental. Let these players play, I mean when we here other players scream out loud, pump fists, put their hands up, raise one finger, scream "come on" in the middle of a game, we rarely say anything about that. Everyone calls Capriati's behavior a meltdown. Or she is rude. Please, the bad thing is that tennis is such a sport just between two players at a given time, and they are in front of a 20,000 person crowd plus the TV audience. Cut some slack, these are hard battles and getting angry at yourself and others are part of the game. Capriati never leaves the court mad and always gives constructive interviews afterward. Not all players do that............................

paigery
Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by tennischick
whether or not Jen manages to beat Venus, the fact is that at this point in time she is both a champion and the deserved#1. i have no problem with that. but i do have a problem with her major melt-downs. i really think that her behavior on court is sometimes disgraceful. but this is not to take away from the fact that she is the #1 player at this point in time.

let's see if she manages to close out the year at #1. i would be very happy for her if she did, despite the antics on court.

Once Jennifer realizes that it is not written anywhere to beat Venus Williams and be number one, Capriati should just let the other players worry about Venus and whoever else. Capriati comes intoa match concentrating only on that win, it will be exciting to see what unfolds the rest of the year. So many close matches for Capriati, she could snag the U.S. Open this year!

paigery
Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:32 PM
:kiss:Jennifer Capriati

paigery
Apr 4th, 2002, 04:13 PM
All the constuctive comments were great. Thanks for seeing the point of defining a champion, not inserting any player as better than another. LOL, you guys definately bring it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D paigery

bmomomax
Apr 4th, 2002, 04:35 PM
No doubt, Jennifer is a champion. And there is no doubt that she deserves her number one ranking. I stop whatever I'm doing to watch either Venus or Serena play, but facts are facts. Jennifer played more, Jennifer won more, so she's number 1.

Elementary, my dear.

As far as the role model thing goes. I don't know. I don't follow what she does off court. In some threads, her fans talk about her charity work and things like that and it's wonderful. As far as her on court behavior goes ~ some folks will have trouble with it, some won't. But don't tell me that if you're doing something at home with your kid(s) and you slam your finger in a door or what have you, you don't curse. I think that's far more likely to teach your kid "bad" words than to *maybe* hear Capriati bless out the linesman/umpire.

We are our youngsters role models. All the nonsense about Capriati being emotional on the court - hogwash. If it works for her, fine. Absolute lack of emotion works for Venus. Again, fine. You have to do what works for you.

So congratulations, Jennifer Capriati, on your successful tennis run. Please don't feel bad when I root for Venus to take that spot from you, however. Nothin' personal.:angel:

vw43
Apr 4th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Nice post bmomomox! :D

Go JENNIFER!!

Jakeev
Apr 5th, 2002, 01:34 AM
yeah bmomomox very awesome things you had to see. You know if more non-Capriati fans were out there like youself the need to defend Jen would be at a minimal and unneccesary.

It's too bad many don't have the class and objectivity like you do.....

Oizo
Apr 5th, 2002, 07:51 AM

Oh, I consider that huge Miami match with eight match points a winner for Capriati!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, Venus... sorry:eek:
Me too :D :D :D
:wavey: @ paigery

Luna_Angel_84
Apr 5th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Jen is a true champion and thoroughly deserves the number one ranking. Yeah, it could be disputed, but that's my opinion.
Anyway, I find her a good role model. I'm 17 and admittedly am a stroppy little bitch, but I've never dine anything awful. After seeing what Jen went through and how she bounced back from it, it has stopped me doing a lot of stupid things. I'll admit, I swear a lot (not a direct result of Jen I must add though!), but being a fan of Jen has given me more confidence in myself and given me a bit more of a personality. Before I was a fan of her I'd just sit there and take shit from people, but now I'm able to stand up for myself and I feel I'm a better person for that.

Nimi
Apr 5th, 2002, 03:06 PM
WOW WHAT A THREAD!!!!!!!!

GOOOOO JENNIFER!!!!!!

win all Grand Slams cuz u deserve it!!!!! (well... leave RG to Anna Smashnova... pretty please?)

vw43
Apr 5th, 2002, 03:12 PM
This is turning into a really nice Jenny thread...

I like it.

Jennifer Capriati, #1 Player in the World!!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

veryborednow
Apr 5th, 2002, 03:31 PM
admittedly am a stroppy little bitch

OOooohhh!! Look at you!!

Jen's not a stroppy little bitch, she's f i e s t y :p

http://membres.lycos.fr/jcapriati007/site/2002/open%20aust/openaus12.jpg

http://membres.lycos.fr/jcapriati007/site/2002/open%20aust/ope33.jpg

paigery
Apr 5th, 2002, 03:31 PM
:kiss:

You are the person that I most admire
Touching someone's life as you 've touched mine
Giving her the faith that she too can shine
A little piece of you remains behind
Held with gratitude within my heart
A portrait of a woman good and kind
Helping with everything I do
When I need strength I'll look inside for you

Luna_Angel_84
Apr 5th, 2002, 03:34 PM
LOL, I'm not implying that's Jen's a stroppy little bitch... not that there's anything wrong with being one. Maybe I should just describe myself as being fiesty instead?

Nimi
Apr 5th, 2002, 03:43 PM
lol

vw43
Apr 5th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Jen's Italian...she was born fiesty...;)

I bet Stefano makes a mean cannoli :D

gogetter
Apr 5th, 2002, 07:31 PM
During the match at NASDAQ between Jen & Monica, I couldn't help but notice that in most cases when the call was hotly contested by either Jen or Monica, the case turned out to be in Jen's favor: The balls she hit were right on the line or in the corner. And the ones she thought were out, were in fact OUT. So I think she's justified in being HOT and FEISTY because she's RIGHT 99.9% of the time, and gets irritated at bad calls or bad non-calls! Believe me, it would piss me off, and I'm not even an Aries or Italian!

That was a great match from both players though, and neither player got that hot & bothered about it. I think they recognized that each other was playing great.

gogetter
Apr 5th, 2002, 07:34 PM
P.S. They had validated most of the hotly contested calls by using the ESPN "ShotSpot" which I thought was really a cool technology.

vw43
Apr 5th, 2002, 07:40 PM
I'm a big fan of the "mac cam". Jen does seem to be right most of the time but I've seen her fiesty for a good call as well..lol.

veryborednow
Apr 6th, 2002, 08:44 AM
I'd prefer to see Jen like

http://membres.lycos.fr/jcapriati007/site/2001/us/uso01-9.jpg

than :sad:

http://membres.lycos.fr/jcapriati007/site/2001/us/us25.jpg

LittleTennisFan
Apr 6th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Completely agree with paigery.

Jennifer is an inspiration. To http://www.smilies.nl/bounce/3.gif back from her problems to be the World's Number 1 female tennis player and 3-time Grand Slam champion is quite an achievement and a wonderful story.

So what if she occasionally loses het temper on court. It shows she's passionate. vw43 is right Jen's Italian and they're fiery and passionate people.

Keep up the good work Jennifer!

http://www.frenchopen.org/images/pics/large/bv_13_012.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1780000/images/_1783379_cappy150.jpg

And with my fave, Lindsay injured all my support is behind Jennifer

Jakeev
Apr 6th, 2002, 08:12 PM
More more more...lol

paigery
Apr 10th, 2002, 01:25 PM
I love the ESPN "shotspot" it is great. Allot of the calls are close, but that is the way Jen plays, right on the lines. The way Jennifer plays the game really brings you into the match. And with Capriati you will either love it, or leave it. But the tennis is superb!! In Scottsdale and in Miami the matches were hard, long and fought well! I think with the right conditioning and more time developing a stronger serve, Capriati could win "the grand slam" this year ( all 4)...... We shall see.................................She definately has the heart to do it, the heart of a champion.