PDA

View Full Version : Sunday report of Nasdaq

croat123
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:33 AM
Well, I guess that you all have already seen the men's final. For those of you who didn't, it wasn't anything special and was marked by many unforced errors and only a few really long rallies. Federer was definately off his game, he kept misshitting balls into the stands.

After the men's final, only about 100 people were left who saw the women's final and the tournament director invited us to sit where ever we wanted and so I was in the front row! I felt like I could just walk onto the court. The doubles match was great. I though R/S would be dominant, but P/S put up a great fight. They saved a set point at 5-4 40-30 on Stubb's serve and pushed the set into a tiebreak which they lost 7-6(4). Those four players have excellent reflexes, especially Paola. The second set was when the crowd really got behind P/S (I think we made more noise than the thousands of people at the Agassi-Federer match). R/S were serving at 5-3 40-0 and, which some great reflexes and one of Vivi's best lobs of the match, P/S were able to storm back and take advantage of their second break point to make it 5-4. P/S saved another match point when Stubbs smacked a volley right at Paola and Paola was able to move out of her was and still hit an offensive volley which set up a put away. The crowd was going wild and this point. Both teams then held on to serve easily as the match went into a tiebreak. The match was almost two hours long already. P/S went up 6-1 in the tiebreak, before R/S tried to make a comeback. P/S did go on to win the tiebreak 7-4(i think). Paola's serve was broken in the first game of the second set. And Vivi was down 15-40 and 40-AD in her service game but was able to pull through. Unfortunately at 3-5 0-40, P/S were only able to save one more match point and a backhand volley that went long by Vivi gave R/S the match!

On a side note, we booed the linesman right in front of me for about five calls and the new linesman who came couldn't stop laughing for two or three points because people kept making fun of him.

2ace2
Apr 1st, 2002, 02:20 PM
Thanks!!!
:D

Gallofa
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the report! it's really hard to come by any dubs reports, even here :) a pity Paola and Vivi had to lose... I am a bit surprised that you think Paola was the best out of the four though, I would have said she was probably the weakest doubles player in the group, with Vivi and Lisa being the strongest... but I am basing this observation in the level Vivi/Paola had at RG2001 were Vivi was playing out of her mind :D

Anyway, great report! good to hear they let you seat closer to the action! ;)

Bright Red
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:15 AM
I really, really enjoyed this tournament. My favorite matches were Serena def. Jennifer, and Federer def. Hewitt. It couldn't have been much better than that!

croat123
Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:08 PM
Bright Red: this match was way better than the singles finals. it was amazing!

Gallofa: Paola played a perfect match. she got a lot of first serves in and made no unforced errors while being able to keep up to R/S at the net. Vivi didn't start off too well. she really picked her game up in the second set, but she was very inconssistent towards the end of the match.

Mark43
Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the report Croat123! Sounds like that doubles final was a real thriller. I know what you mean about the mens finals. As much as I love Andre and tennis in general, I snuck off to Home Depot after the end of the second set. Haha! When I got back I was glad Agassi won but very surprised that Federer came back in the third.

I saw Raymond/Stubbs beat Navrat/Zvereva last week and they are quite a good pair.