PDA

View Full Version : A thought on Anna getting a wild-card for Hamburg

GoDominiqu
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:51 AM
I don't think this is a good decision. For 2 reasons:

1) It's not nice towards the German players. As matthias had pointed out in another thread, there is the Fed-Cup right before the tournament starts. And as there are only 2 wild-cards for the main-draw left, the German players not receiving one have the choice of playing Fed-Cup and mssing Hamburg or the other way round. Anna can get wild-cards everywhere, the German players only at their home-tournaments. And if it has to be a non-German player, there are better options than Anna.

2) Even more important: It's obvious why they did it: to have a bigger crowd and more hype there.
But IMO they are completely wrong here !
I have been to the tournament more than once, and I can tell you that the people of Hamburg don't go there to see Anna or Martina or Venus. Well, of course there would be fewer people if no top-player were there, but that's not the point.
For the people who go there it is more like a good habit: watch good tennis, enjoy the spring-sun (sun is rare in Hamburg) and the nice area (the outside-courts are really old-fashioned, with wood-benches). They like when they see common faces, but they are also interested in new players who make a good run there.
What I want to say is: They could care less if Anna is there or not. Those who come each year will come this year as well, and the others not.
Maybe Anna will attract 20 more, but not enough that this should be a factor for a wild-card.

2ace2
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:18 AM
Yeah, you're right, godominique!
I can't understand why Anna always gets soooo much attention!
In my opinion there are a lot players who are prettier than Anna!
(eg: Dementieva :drool: )

ajayares
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by GoDominique

And if it has to be a non-German player, there are better options than Anna

Just out of interest, which non German players would be a better option than Anna??and would be a good chance to play the event, if they got the wildcard.

The fact is that there is ONE wildcard reserved for a gold exempt player and believe it or not Anna is one of those players.. so she has every right to get it...

Just who else would be in line for it, who hasn't already enter the tournament anyway??

Just on a side, note.. reading thru an article the other day.. they seem very keen to get Anna to play, else I don't think they would have offered to pay for her air travel to the event as well...

This is what the article said "Organisers of the Hamburg tournament in May, for instance, even paid for a trans-Atlantic flight in an effort to sign her again for their event. "

per4ever
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:32 AM
Anna is top20 material, and a real topplayer. She's gorgeous and has many fans. I don't get your reasons...she's someone who gets more people to the tennis.

and believe me..there will be more fans for Anna then for some young/not so good german player.

-Sonic-
Apr 1st, 2002, 11:37 AM
Well its not nice for the brits when people who lose early of RG taje WC's to Brum and E'bourne... or for the dutch for S'Bosch.

Its not nice for the Aussies if people decide to take part in a warm up late for the OZ open and take WC places from Sydney and Gold Coast.

and so on for just about every other country.

At least germany gets many events a year. Some players from some countries have none, and some have to 'scrounge' off of their neighbouring countries to get their players into draws. Most of the times these countries have at best a tier 3, usually 4 or 5.

Tweety
Apr 1st, 2002, 12:03 PM
The point is that German players receive very seldom a main draw wild card. Other nations mostly give the wild cards to their players. Not so in Germany.

I have attended a couple of tournaments in Germany. People come to the courts for watching good tennis and supporting their compatriots.

And Anna Kournikova is not definitely not one of those players they want to see. Maybe a few teenage boys come out to see her but some of them have no idea on tennis.

I remember last years Filderstadt. There Anna even got negative press because of her behaving. The Filderstadt crowd didn't like her too much.

I have no idea on TV ratings, but this is probably a point for Anna ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 1st, 2002, 12:05 PM
The thing about Anna getting a gold exempt WC isn't true.
Gold Exempt WC will be given out later on, closer to the tourn.

Wild Card info

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4296

Tweety
Apr 1st, 2002, 12:15 PM
So Anna got a "normal" wild card.

ajayares
Apr 1st, 2002, 12:16 PM
Well then why was she given the exempt wildcard into the Tokyo event.. weeks before it began???

It was listed on there website as the exempt wildcard...

edit:

Well if you read the following bit
"Each Tour Tournament, exclusive of the Grand Slams and the Championships, will receive an additional Wild Card spot to be called the “Exempt Wild Card”, based on the following: If a Tournament does not have Contractual Player Commitment or loses Contractual Player Commitment prior to the start of the Tournament, the Exempt Wild Card will be first used by the Tour to move a Gold Exempt Player into the Main Draw of a Tournament who fulfils Contractual Player Commitment

Well Anna is a gold exempt player, so she fits this critiera... It doesn't actually say they have to be released the day before the event begins, because in the majority of events the Gold exempt wildcard doesn't actually get used...

Jay
Apr 1st, 2002, 12:20 PM
As far as I understand it the dishing out of wild cards to down totally to the descretion of the tournament organisers and they can basically give them out to whoever they want for whatever reason good or bad.

I'm sure the arguments stated by the author of this post have plenty of merit and Anna probably was given a wild card because the organisers think this will put more bums on seats.

But you can't complain about it and insist that tournament organisers follow some sort of uniform criteria for dishing out wildcards.

If they did that it wouldn't be 'wild' ;)

-Sonic-
Apr 1st, 2002, 12:24 PM
tenniscorner's draws tell me plenty of german wc's are given in german events in past few years.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 1st, 2002, 12:24 PM
Also its down to the tournament directors as to who gets the WCS. DTB will have little say unless they own the tournament.

it just says
Wild Card: Anna Kournikova Russland 65 on site

Tweety
Apr 1st, 2002, 12:25 PM
Jay, I didn't know the 'wild card' was created because of the word 'wild'. Now that I know I totally agree ;)

The Last Unicorn
Apr 1st, 2002, 12:27 PM
I think it is all about money. Anna is a big attraction and she knows.:rolleyes:

ajayares
Apr 1st, 2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by TheBoiledEgg
it just says
Wild Card: Anna Kournikova Russland 65 on site

I was refering to the Tokyo event in Jan.. she appeared on the website as gold exempt wildcard mid December...

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 1st, 2002, 12:41 PM
ajayares i know you were referring to Tokyo

but Hamburg site only lists that.
I presume it will be the gold exempt as I can't see 2 foreigners getting 2/3 WC's

It doesn't say anyhing what type of WC it is as well.

Still i'm not really bothered as long as she has one

ajayares
Apr 1st, 2002, 12:48 PM
Exactly, so we are having a pointless debate over nothing... as when the draw is done it is not going to matter what type of wildcard she has..

per4ever
Apr 1st, 2002, 12:49 PM
it aren't only teenagers who come to watch anna :(

Jeez you have all seen Anna play..she's very talented and she has a great game! She got a wildcard into the Antwerp tourni, and I can assure you that people came to watch her. (and not only horny teens!!!! real tennisfans can enjoy her game too, she plays lots and lots better then some unknown qualifiers, there are exceptions of course)

Why does Mary Pierce get wild cards??? These players are all top20 players, but ranked low because of injuries. They deserve to be in the tourni!

GoDominiqu
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:27 PM
Okayyy ...

First of all, I don't think that ALL wild-cards should always go to players of the tournament's country. But this is a special situation with the Fed-Cup. Giving the WC's to German players so that they can play both events would be a good offer to them. I just can't understand the decision.
And Eggy, well, the DTB does actually organise the event (the DTB is located at the Rothenbaum-area), so I think they can decide as well who gets the wild-card. Because of that the decision is strange.

ajayares, which non-German player ? Ahem, ANYONE ! Not because I hate Anna. But she gets a wild-card for every damn tournament which is unfair to every other player not ranked high enough. BTW, at Anna's current level, some quali-matches wouldn't do her any harm ...

Which leads me to per4ever: Sure, Anna is a good and exciting player to watch, but only when she is in good form !
If she plays horrible (and obviously she's doing that recently), it's also horrible to watch: an error-festival, mixed with tons of double-faults, non-existing tactics, bad technique etc.

That's no joy, and I would prefer any other player then. With her recent performances, she just doesn't deserves as many wild-cards as she currently gets.

aura of daniela
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:36 PM
In my opinion, Anna should be getting Wild Card for her own good.
I think making her qualify for tournaments would be important in boosting her own confidences and getting her into form before she enters the main draw.
I think it will do her a lot of good to just getting some wins under her belt....as oppose to getting a Wild Card, and losing in the 1st or 2nd rounds....that does nothing for her mentally.
She knows that she didn't really achieve anything by getting into the tournament via a Wild Card and the loss would put her down more.
Also, I think it will sort out whether Anna is serious about getting back to the top and concentrating on her tennis again if she is forced to enter tournaments through qualifying.
Her injuries have put her is this whole, but I think she need to climb out of it herself.
I can understand why they give Wild Cards to previous grand slam winner, and previous title holders, due to the tournaments respect for there pass champion.
And I understand why they give Anna Wild Cards....but I don't think it is doing her any good.
I mean, for me, if Daniela got injured (God forbid) and her ranking dropped out of the top 50, I'd love her to get Wild Cards to some events, but I think she would expect to build her way back up, like everyone else, and that can only help her recovery.

But, at the end of the day, Fame and Beauty rule our silly world some times, and we just have to face it.

Simon V

GoDominiqu
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:44 PM
Well, and didn't Anna tell in an interview that she lost 'because of lack of matches' ?

Is there any better chance to get matches than in a qualifying event ?

It wouldn't do her any harm. Other players have done it as well, for example Anke Huber when she was quite low-ranked.

If she's a professional tennis-player, she should be able to handle the 'disgrace' of playing qualification ...

aura of daniela
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:51 PM
Damn, Andre Agassi went back to the satelites to get back into form, I dont think a few qualifying matches would kill Miss Princess now.
Agassi was a Grand Slam champion, and he could have gotten all the Wild Cards he wanted, but he was smart, bied his time in the lower level event and earnt his way back, and now look at him, 5th time Miami champ. Really good players can do it....thats why I'm skeptical about Anna K.

Simon V

Mattographer
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:58 PM
I think it bad decision for some reason...

She should play Qualifying so, it can help her ranking get up and also, good preparing for playing against Top Players!

maccardel
Apr 1st, 2002, 02:55 PM
Quick!...one name why Anna shouldn't get the wildcard.

Pierce