PDA

View Full Version : French Forescast

SM
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:38 AM
Who do you think the topic contenders will be for the next major of 2k2 by ?

1) Jennifer Capriati - Has everything needed to get through seven tough matches on clay as evidenced last year ;). Huge, solid groundstrokes(most important on clay), mentally tough and endurance. The fact her serve isn't the biggest on tour which was detrimental to her result with Serena at Miami wont matter too much as the clay will neutralize the power of the bigger servers.

2) Serena - if she's on, irrespective of surface she'll blow any woman past or present off the court. Problem is she hasnt been patient enough to have to hit the extra few shots required in clay court tennis in the past.

3) Martina Hingis - cant believe she's yet to win here. Her game is more suited to the surface than anyone else, but Hingis will have to find a way to hbeat her hoodoo and play a more aggressive brand of tennis reminscent of her game early in her career.

4) Monica Seles - solid year having made the semis of every tournament she's entered and finally beating Venus. Movement may be a hindrance, but on the clay she'll have the time to set up her shots and create those wonderful angles that won her the French in the early 90's. Only problem is that she seems to run out of gas at times in the third set so she needs to ensure she doesn't stay on court too long during the ealier rounds.

5) Venus - like serena her patience and controlling UE are of paramount concern as to whether she can make the latter rounds and possibly win the event. Her combination of power and speed make her lethal on any surface,but yet to prove herself on the clay of Roland Garros.

5) Kim Clijsters - great athlete and imparts excessive topspin on her power drives necessary for success on clay. Hopefully she'll go to the French ready to enact revenge on Capriati for last year;) where she came soooooooo close.

6) Jelena Dokic - as evidenced in her Italian 2k1 crown she can mix it with the best on clay ;):), but her French record has been very mediocre. Perhaps a bit too impatient for clay, but when she's on she'll match anyone.

7) Daniella Hantuchova - Indian Wells was not a freak occurance as some of the cynics will want everyone to believe. Her game is totally suited to clay and IMO i'd put her higher in this list if i weren't for inexperience.

8) Justine Henin - has been way too erratic in 2k1 to warrant an inclusion higher in the list :(. If she can regroup after the loss to Smashnova and get back in to groove she's a contender as much as anyone else.

Outsiders: ASV and Momo.

angele87
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:44 AM
I'd say Jen is the favorite but after her?? I'd say it's close !! Hopefully Kim can do really well again this year... a title would surely replace the dissapointement of coming so close last year ;)