PDA

View Full Version : Great article about Daniela....

aura of daniela
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:02 AM
Hey guys, this is a nice article about my Angel, Daniela.
It talks about many things, including how she was upset about they way the Fed Cup incident was protrayed.
I have nothing but trust for her, and believe her comments.

Read it, and enjoy.

Simon V

Source: MOMENT magazine, March 28th, 2002
Written by: Martina Kubaniova

Translated/Summarized by: Michal Novosad (novosad@europe.com)

“My Greatest Success”

DEADLY BACKHAND

Daniela Hantuchova’s dream of becoming the world’s No.1 has started turning into reality.

She is a big promise to the world of tennis. Her deadly two-handed backhand placed on the lines may hoist her up all the way to the top. She is the model of a Top 10 player.

This is only a sample of reactions from world media addressing only the 18 year-old Bratislavan Daniela Hantuchova who decisively and without respect beat the former world’s No.1 Martina Hingis from Switzerland at the WTA Tour Pacific Life Open tournament in Indian Wells. Only a few days before her triumph in California she said: “That’s what it is all about. Playing the best and gradually beating them.”

It was important for Daniela to have both of her parents present at the final match: “I was glad that they could be here with me, I felt a big support from them.” She thinks of her family as her biggest support because she admits that close friendships are difficult to be established on the tennis circuit. Daniela already in her early life had to experience the individualistic approach while in her elementary school. “Every coin’s got two sides. And professional tennis as well. It’s not just traveling-like some people see it. It’s packing your suitcases, sleeping in hotels, and practice after practice. Whenever after school kids were leaving in groups, I was running to the courts. I used to study at night. I could barely keep up with everything. Fortunately I graduated and now I just want to concentrate on tennis. College is not going to run away from me. I decided so and I don’t regret it.”

She has sacrificed and is sacrificing everything for tennis. She doesn’t attend disco bars like you would expect from a girl of her age, neither does she comment on her personal relationships. At the most she admits that her boyfriend would have to be very tolerant and flexible. However, Daniela does attend some social events, and likes to dress up for such occasions. She said she loves French and Italian fashion.

Daniela perceives her entering the professional tennis star scene as a breakthrough in her life. More and more people have started to recognize her and show interest in her personal life. “I think it goes along with tennis. The more you’re successful, the more people are interested in you. But the truth has been always important to me. And what people learn about me from newspapers. And I do have to say that I got disappointed a few times. But I want people to know the real me. Otherwise they may think the opposite.”

Daniela was referring to last year’s publicized reports about her demanding more money for the FedCup doubles match against Russia. The headlines portrayed Daniela as refusing to represent Slovakia because of money, what Daniela absolutely rejects: “I was glad though to find out that people who know me didn’t believe the reports.” She thinks that the atmosphere in the tennis team has calmed down since then.

She thinks that there isn’t much difference between Slovak tennis female players and the world’s top players. She also believes there’s less of intrigue and lobbying nowadays at the top because the tennis players pay a lot more attention to their reputations and the way they’re being portrayed. “After a match or practice, each of us goes her own separate way, after different hobbies. I try to be nice to other players. We all are big rivals on the court, but after the match one can get along quite well with several of them. Others may keep their distance, but it really depends upon each individual and how she takes it.”

Ever since she spends more time in America, she likes to spend her free time with her family. She finds good relaxation in skiing or skating. She likes to play piano which she, besides tennis, had devoted eight years to. In America she likes to relax mostly at the beach while listening to the sound of the ocean.

Daniela is a confident and ambitious person: “Whenever I intend to achieve something, I do whatever I can to reach that.” These words just confirm the style of her play: brisky, pressing, and persevering presence on the court, with her damaging backhands being placed close to the lines. “I want to become soon the world’s number one,” claims calmly the Slovak teenager. It seems that her greatest achievement is still yet to come.

end

Sonja
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the article and I hope Daniela achieves her goals!

Tatiana Panova
Apr 1st, 2002, 05:36 PM
Sounds like a bit of a workhorse to me, and with that talent, she is gonna get to the top. Singleminded determinism is what you need to get the top in anything.