PDA

View Full Version : Qualy Report

floriano
Apr 3rd, 2005, 05:20 AM
Ok...My friend and I managed to catch many matches between us...half the report I saw first-hand, and half has been relayed from my fellow spectator...

Vives d. Jackson
This match was full of intrigue and fantastic emotion. both players really gave it their all. Jackson seemed to tire a little bit in the third set, but she really manged to move Nuria around the court for most of the match. Nuria is a great mover though, and really forced Jackson to hit the extra shot. She also is really good at turning defence into attack. In the third set, when it looked like Jackson had the upper hand in the rally, Nuria on many occasions would retrieve difficult balls and then turn the rally around and hit some flashy winners. There was a really dodgy line call on Nuria's first matchpoint. Jackson really whiped her forehand return and Nuria had almost clenched her fist when no call came from the linesperson who claimed his vision was blocked. The umpire refused to overrule and Nuria just shook her head. Jackson took advantage because she broke Nuria's serve, but it was too little too late, because she broke Jackson in the next game to 15. On a faster surface, the result may have been reversed.

Brandi d. Czink
Both players hit pretty flat and consistent, although Czink was really off her game today. The first 3 games were all titanic struggles and both players really moved each other around. Unfortuantely, being on the losing end didn't help Melinda's confidence and she started going for too much and rushing her shots. Kristina is a calm competitor and seemed content to hit deep balls down the middle the entire match, while Melinda kept self-destructing. I think she would have fared better if she'd put Kris under more pressure and come in more. She just didn't seem willing to trade groundstrokes all day and after the 4th stroke she'd go for an outright winner, missing 80 percent of the time.

Peschke d. Stewart
Wow, Kveta can really hit deep, hard groundstrokes. From the first point, it was clear Stewart would have no answer to the precision of Kveta's groundstrokes. In the first set, there wasn't much variety from Kveta, she just hit hard and went for angles. Stewart, to her credit, tried coming into the net and hit a few slice approaches; but most of her approach shots were too high and slow, and Kveta was content to use them as target practice. Patty Schydner was watching this match, cheering Kveta on.

Osterloh d. Reeves
This match was over in 45 minutes. Lilia's groundstrokes were on today, especially her forehand. She seemed to really enjoy the pace Reeves was giving her. Samantha looked releived when she got on the scoreboard in the 5th game, but she was very erratic and seemes to lack a strategy. She didn't seem too upset at the end though, the girls had a chat after the match and walked off together which was nice to see.

Obziler d. Schaul
I just saw the last few games of this match. A real contrast in styles, Schaul is your orutine hard-hitting baseliner, whereas Obziler has a lot of variety and doesn't hit with that much pace. Claudine seemed really frustrated with the lack of pace and a few moonballs Obziler would throw in when Claudine was at risk of dictating the points, and towards the end yelled out to her coach, 'Why are these balls flying up so high?'

that's all we saw...but we hope to catch some more action soon.

PatM04
Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:16 AM
Osterloh d. Reeves
This match was over in 45 minutes. Lilia's groundstrokes were on today, especially her forehand. She seemed to really enjoy the pace Reeves was giving her. Samantha looked releived when she got on the scoreboard in the 5th game, but she was very erratic and seemes to lack a strategy. She didn't seem too upset at the end though, the girls had a chat after the match and walked off together which was nice to see.

I bet Sammy wasn't upset that she lost because she knows it will take a while to come back from whatever injury or other problem kept her out. It's to bad she had to draw an opponent who was playing that well but kudos to Lilia:). Hope to see Sammy do well next week, or in doubles here if she plays!

Great report!

Jakub
Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:22 AM
thank you

floriano
Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:40 AM
Ok, I have some time to talk about some of the other matches we saw either fully or partly.

Castano d. Perebiynis
My friend watched most of this match, she says Catalina played very well, her game seems suited to this surface, she likes to throw in moon balls, hit off pace shots and occasionally go for a winner. Tatiana seemed to be unwilling to engage in the long rallies which were characteristic of the 1st set, and apparently the more she missed, the louder she screamed at herself. After the match, Catalina posed for photographs with some Columbian fans. My friend understands spanish and said they asked her if she was happy about pushing Venus to 3 sets last week. Catalina said she was really happy and gained a lot of confidence from that match. She said that her new motto for this year is to fight for every match, every point and she is seeing the results.

Kremer d. Els

Anne's game has not changed from the 1st time I saw her play in 1998. She doesn't have a major weapon, but really plays solidly and consistently. She is also a very good sport, and gave away a point! It looked as if Els had overhit a forehand volley but anne who was standing right next to the line conceded the point. Els didn't even thank her, though. This match was really won and lost off Els' play. She tried to force the play and come in and this often worked, but Anne strated passing really well as the match wore on.

The other match I caught a little bit of was Gagliardi and Marta D. Marta has nice smooth groundstrokes and she was passing Emmanuelle quite well. Gagliardi threw everything she had at Marta, mixing up off pace shots, drop shots, aggressive forehands and lobs, but she made a few too many errors. Anyway, my friend is a big fan of her's (or admirer may be a better word) and he asked her to sign for him. She did this with a tiny smile (understandable given the loss). Then he asked her if she would be playing Fed Cup, and she said tersely 'Not after what happened with the Olympics'.
I might have half the week off so hoping to catch some man round action also.

Wiggly
Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:42 AM
Patty Schnyder was chering for Kveta? :eek:

switz
Apr 3rd, 2005, 08:02 AM

contrary to popular belief patty is not such a bitch that she can't be friendly with anyone. i know she says things that piss people off and has a weird husband etc but for the most she has good relationships with most girls on tour.

LefandePatty
Apr 3rd, 2005, 08:22 AM

yeah, Patty is really nice :D :worship: ;) :kiss:

S-T-E-V-E
Apr 3rd, 2005, 08:59 AM
Patty is playing doubles with Kveta here :)

Wiggly
Apr 3rd, 2005, 09:01 AM
:) Patty is playing doubles with Kveta here :)

I hopes Kveta will be bakc wiht Iveta after

Shonami Slam
Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:13 AM
Obziler d. Schaul
I just saw the last few games of this match. A real contrast in styles, Schaul is your orutine hard-hitting baseliner, whereas Obziler has a lot of variety and doesn't hit with that much pace. Claudine seemed really frustrated with the lack of pace and a few moonballs Obziler would throw in when Claudine was at risk of dictating the points, and towards the end yelled out to her coach, 'Why are these balls flying up so high?'

sounds like tzipi all right - she is SO good with the frustrated ones.
i remember in fed cup when she almost beat lindsay that even the great davenport got wild with rage how obziler wins those points again and again.
the pace issue is one of the tactics that i'm not knowledgable in tennis - but from what i saw in tzipi's game - she really game suddenly out of no where hit the ball really hard - if you have anything else to say about her - please do!

CooCooCachoo
Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the great report :)
Kveta :worship:

My friend from this board will be in Amelia Island too until Sunday :D Enjoy yourself, Jeff :hug:

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:22 AM
most doubles players go and watch their partners and support them

Tatiana :explode: another self-destruction :timebomb:

CooCooCachoo
Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:32 AM
Tatiana has been horrible this year :sad:

gmak
Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:36 AM
omg tati :help: :shrug: :smash: :mad:

rated_next
Apr 3rd, 2005, 03:13 PM
thanks for the report :)

Libertango
Apr 3rd, 2005, 03:27 PM
What has happened to Claudine Schaul since she won Strasbourg and beat Lindsay?! :eek: :confused:

Thanks for the reports!! :)

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 6th, 2005, 02:37 AM
sounds like tzipi all right - she is SO good with the frustrated ones.
i remember in fed cup when she almost beat lindsay that even the great davenport got wild with rage how obziler wins those points again and again.
the pace issue is one of the tactics that i'm not knowledgable in tennis - but from what i saw in tzipi's game - she really game suddenly out of no where hit the ball really hard - if you have anything else to say about her - please do!

The only time i saw Tzipi play live, she was actually the frustrated one...Yelling, throwing balls. Through she was playing Dubois in Quebec city, who juste played her best amtch ever, esp first set, it was done in like 25 minutes! Obziler was pissed, bitchy, almost rude. Considering she had been close to beating Henin few weeks before, i was a lil disappointed in her game!