PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't Venus Or Serena win The FO or AO?

Cybelle Darkholme
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:00 PM
I think they can and will win these two tournaments. No one has ever come up with a legitmate reason why they can't. Just because they haven't doesn't mean its not possible. People said Venus would never win a tournament much less any Grand Slam and she did it.

Venus has won clay court titles, so she can obviously play on clay. Serena made it to the quarters of the French, so it stands to reason that she has a chance otherwise she would not have made it that far.

To discount anyone from winning a tournament just doesn't make sense to me especially if they are in the top ten. I think even lindsay could take the French I mean she went FAR into the tournament one year.

Crazy Canuck
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:03 PM
Many of the people who discount them, would bite your head off if you did the same to their fave player in return - so i wouldn't worry to much about them :)

From what I've read there are very few people who say the WIlliams can and can't do certaint things around here - yet loads of threads are devoted to the attention of these few posters.

To answer your question, there is no reason they can't win anything they put their minds too.

I prefer not to say a player can't do something - because I would rather not be made to eat my words later :)

Too bad more people didn't do the same.

AjdeNate!
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Becca
Many of the people who discount them, would bite your head off if you did the same to their fave player in return - so i wouldn't worry to much about them :)

From what I've read there are very few people who say the WIlliams can and can't do certaint things around here - yet loads of threads are devoted to the attention of these few posters.

To answer your question, there is no reason they can't win anything they put their minds too.

I prefer not to say a player can't do something - because I would rather not be made to eat my words later :)

Too bad more people didn't do the same.

I'll just quote this, since this is the best possible reply.

Shane54
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:17 PM
I believe it is just a matter of time that they win OZ. I honestly believe one will win FO. But the FO will be tougher b/c the clay negates their power. A la Lindsay Davenport.

RockSteady
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:23 PM
1) Martina Hingis
2) Lindsay Davenport
3) Jennifer Capriati
4) Monica Seles

Those four players are better than them on Rebound Ace and on clay. Except Davenport on clay. So if the Williams meet one of them, they are not the favorite.

It's funny how someone pointed out that Venus & Serena have won the last 4 against Hingis, 5 against Davenport, and 5 against Capriati. Impressive, but they were all on American hard-courts or grass. Why don't they play any other tournaments? :confused: I'd like to see them reach the FINAL of the AO or RG.

CC
Mar 31st, 2002, 10:39 PM
So if the Williams meet one of them, they are not the favorite.

Certainly you must realize that there are no guarantees? Very much a naive response.;)

AjdeNate!
Mar 31st, 2002, 10:42 PM
I'd take my odds with Hingis, Monica, & Jennifer over the Williams sisters on clay anyday.

MaRKy MaRk
Apr 1st, 2002, 12:29 AM
I read an interview with Billie Jean King, and she was asked why Venus hasn't done as well in the Aussie Open or French Open. I remember her saying that Venus is always rusty early in the year because she goes to school in the fall. I kind of agree with her, cuz if you notice, Venus always does well from Wimbledon onwards.

I'll post the transcript when I find it.

MaRKy MaRk
Apr 1st, 2002, 12:31 AM
Here it is...this is what Billie Jean King said exactly...

Q. Following up about Venus Williams. She's dominated Wimbledon and US Open the last two years. I was wondering from what you have seen any reason why she hasn't had similar results at Australia and the French yet?

BILLIE JEAN KING: I was down in Australia announcing for channel 7 in Australia. What happened was Venus, she got injured. She injured first her left knee was bothering her. Then she injured her right thigh. So she was playing at about 50% but she didn't give up which I thought was admirable. She didn't default. She played actually very, very well. I couldn't believe how well she actually did play. But Monica was out of her mind. Monica loves Australia. Monica only lost two matches at the Australian Open in singles; that gives you an idea. I think she's won 4 Australia opens. And what happens to Venus in the fall, she goes to this design school. I think Design Institute of Ft. Lauderdale, I think it is called, she goes to school in the fall so she doesn't really practice very much. So at the beginning of the year she's always rusty and so I don't think she plays enough before the Australian Open or really gets organized that quickly because she's been in school.

tennisfun
Apr 1st, 2002, 02:08 AM
if you are not stupid enough, you would know they are capable of winning anything.

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 1st, 2002, 02:45 AM
no need to toss insults around.

I think I agree with billie, the school thing does hamper their prep time. But they will eventually graduate and devote themselves more fully to tennis. Remeber they are only 21 and 20, thats hardly old.

also they just might decided to focus more on the other slams, like venus attempted to do but got sidetracked by an injury.

Fingon
Apr 1st, 2002, 02:50 AM
I don't see any reason why they can't win the Australian Open. The surface is a little slower than the US Open but I think they have a great chance if they prepare well, maybe being so early in the year has an effect.

The French Open is another matter IMO. Their game dont' suit clay too well. I know Venus has won big tournaments on clay, and has beaten Martina Hingis in the process, but the fact is that clay takes away some of their main strenghts, power and speed.

There is a big difference between the French Open and the other clay tournaments. The French Open is 7 matches on clay, and unlike grass, there are many good players on clay. The chances of a tough draw early on in the tournament are greated than in the other GSs. Specially because some players that are not high ranked because they don't do well on fast surfaces are very dangerous on clay.

Of course they can win, as a matter of chance, I don't think they will but it's not impossible.

moon
Apr 1st, 2002, 03:32 AM
I don't think this question will need to be asked after this years clay season. Seems to me that there will be a lot of people eating crow in June. :p

Jordan.
Apr 1st, 2002, 04:21 AM
Venus/Serena have chance of winning FO and AO..........if they dont meet Monica,Martina,or Jennifer in them.....:p

jomar
Apr 1st, 2002, 04:53 AM
Everybody has a chance; it's just a matter of would realize it.;)

Williams Rulez
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Jordan
Venus/Serena have chance of winning FO and AO..........if they dont meet Monica,Martina,or Jennifer in them.....:p

The last time Venus played Martina on clay, Venus beat Martina. Venus has a 4-0 record against Capriati and a 6-1 record against Monica. Serena won her last 3 meetings against Martina, defeating her easily the last 2 times. She has beaten Jennifer 3 straight times.

What's your point?

veronica
Apr 1st, 2002, 12:59 PM
Obviously, I think Venus & Serena can win every tournament they enter. I am a fan!

Realistically, I agree with BJK about the AO. I do not think either one of them are ever prepared for the tournament. This year, I felt Serena had a chance because she did play late into the previous year and entered a warm-up. She seems to get "match-ready" quicker than Venus. Her injury left a lot of "what ifs" for me.

Last year Venus was recovering from anemia. This year she was injured. I am not going to sit up here and say Venus will win the AO but it sure would be nice if she entered it healthy and prepared one time.

If Lindsay can win this GS than V/S can. It would be stupid to say their game doesn't suit the surface. I will be curious to see if they do anything to the Rebound ace next year after all the injuries. If they speed it up then V/S are both going to have an easier time.

As far as RG goes, I don't think you can ever predict who is going to win it. It's like Survivor or something. The number one factor in my mind is conditioning. You are talking 7 long, grueling matches.
Honestly, I think Serena has a better chance of capturing the title than/before Venus. Her body is more compact and seems less fragile. If Serena would come into RG in "Fierce Pierce" condition, I really think she could do it. She should avoid eating meat in Europe. and consider bringing her your own food! :kiss:

Experimentee
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:23 PM
Venus and Serena have both won the FO and AO. (in either mixed or womens doubles)

Theres no reason why they cant win in singles, its a matter of time

Tatiana Panova
Apr 1st, 2002, 05:16 PM
I see no reason why they could not win it seeing that Mary Pierce blasted her way to the title. They probably need a little bit of luck as well.

vw43
Apr 1st, 2002, 05:22 PM
They can win them. I believe Jennifer's biggest assests are her power and speed and she has won them. I don't think it's a matter of why but when...and hopefully when is much, much later as I was hoping Jenny could take the French again this year..lol.

:)

ys
Apr 1st, 2002, 06:45 PM
I would not say that they won't. I'd say that in each given year it is many times more likely for them to win fastcourt Slams than slow court Slams. Both surfaces require perfect footwork. Wiliams sisters lack it. Both surfaces require patience and self-discipline. Williams sisters lack it. Australian Open, in particular, requires a lot of commitment, i.e. , it is only the third week of the season, and it is already a Grand Slam. So offseason work is supposed to substitute what you usually do in warmups. So, it takes a lot of hard offseason training. I.e., why Agassi was so successful at AO recently? He himself explains it very simple - when all other guys take a break in offseason in late November, he starts training for AO right away. I think, Hingis is doing the same thing.

SassyMolassy
Apr 1st, 2002, 07:46 PM
TOO EARLY IN THE YEAR! ;)

bluepastures
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:12 PM
I believe one of them will win an Australian Open title (where the problem is really the timing of the tournament, so they just need a little more preparation) before they win a French open tournament (which may never happen). However, saying this Capriati's game is mainly based on power, but she still won the French last year!
Personally, I think Clijsters will win the French this year

Williams Rulez
Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:28 AM
In fact, RG has been won by Mary and Jennifer in the last 2 years... powerplayers!!

Monica has so many RG and AO titles... and that's right, she is a power player too :D

Rollo
Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:23 AM
Ys gave the reasons quite nicely. As for saying Pierce, Capriati, and Seles are power players and won it-and so should the sisters-it's not the same. The differences are real.

Capriati, Monica and Pierce are all used to clay and sliding on the stuff from childhood. Those power players without a French title(Davenport is included in this group) were all raised early on hard courts. Monica and Jen are much better at defense and being patient-and while Mary usually isn't , she showed a lot of restraint the year she finally won, using more than just power.

The sisters both have the talent to win the French, but this is one surface where they face longer odds in doing it. Sugarcoating their weakness on clay is just avoiding reality on the part of some fans, much like Capraiti or Seles fans try to sugarcoat their weakness on grass.

Serena or Venus may win RG, but it would be DESPITE the surface.