PDA

View Full Version : Some In The Media - Still Biased

GogoGirl
Mar 31st, 2002, 07:03 PM
I'll have to tell all, I doubted Serena would win the match w/Jen serving 5/4 for the first set. After Serena won the first set - I knew she'd win it all.

IMO - Mary Mouth (MM = Mary C) showed her bias in the first set of this match. I get so sick and tired of her commenting on how best to play the Sisters. When V & S play anyone and she is commentating, she always talks about playing the Sisters down the middle. They can't seem to get out of their own way - she has said. They forget to take those little steps, she says. I mean, any player that gets the ball hit back to them down the middle, may not always be able to get out of their own way. I saw where Jennifer missed at least two balls that were hit right in front of her, via down the middle.

MM is such a trip. She kept harping on any error(s) Serena made -but did not mention Jen's. I mean it was sooooo obvious that Mary held her tongue when Jen made errors until it was almost funny, if I wasn't so sick of her attitude. 90% of ones' life can be summed up by ones' attitude, and MM showed all who'd admit it, that she was biased in her comments early on against Serena. After all the bashing against Serena, one could hear a pin drop - she sooooo didn't crack on Jen. When Jen couldn't get out of her own way - did MM mention that fact? Noooooo! She was too busy scrutinizing and criticizing Serena's game.

She acted as if Serena invented errors and Jen never made any. And especially, when she commented about the fact that Jen had been quoted in the paper, saying that Serena was bound to make errors - because that fact just sums up who she is on the court. What@#%^&!? How many errors did Serena make in her quarter and semi final matches? Thank you - very much. So - w/Jen thinking that way - she shot herself in the foot. She showed her ignorance by using that defining strategy in summing up how Serena plays, and in making that kind of a statement. I mean - didn't she know the stats of Serena's two previous matches, and had she forgotten that Serena had won the last two of their matches? And with Serena’s recent win against her - coming two tourneys before. And then, lookie-here what happened? Even w/Serena making 59 errors, she still manages to win.

Lastly, I am w/some others about the point MM made concerning how S & J feel about each other. And she stressed to the viewing audience that there was no other way to put that. Who asked her to put it any kind of way? Firstly, how in the cotton fields does she know how they feel about each other? She busted herself and Jen out - for evidently, she has some inside information concerning how Jen feels about Serena, and no doubt about Venus. Secondly, why didn't she back that statement up? Thirdly, who give a fig and asked her? Why did she think it was so necessary to comment on that to over 15M people or two - that was watching the match on TV? MM has been on my list for a while now - and w/those comments - she still has her special place on it. As, even today – when the CBS coverage of the men’s final first came on, she cracks on Jen by saying she could have won it – rather than congratulating Serena for her efforts in grinding that win out.

And as far as Jen "Please shut the crowd up", Capriati is concerned - again, I noticed in 2000 how, she was always questioning line calls and what not. But what really got my goat though, was when she wiped her hand on her outfit after losing to Venus at the US Open. I was like, if anything, Venus should have wiped her hand on her clothes; what w/the way Jen was digging all up her tail in a match last year. In doing that, she definitely tore it w/me. That was it. Was Mary truly telling us that, she's heard from Jen herself about how much she really hates the Sisters? She didn't have to spell if out for me because, I already knew it.

Needless to say - Serena deserved to win the tourney. I'm glad, I finally got on my feet to root for her to win it all, even if she had to take her sister down, as she very well did.

"CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN - SERENA" "YOU DESERVED TO WIN IT ALL" "HERE'S HOPING YOU COME OUT SMOKIN AGAIN IN SC"

BUD COLLINS

It's not as easy as 1-2-3, but Serena is on Cloud 9

By Bud Collins, 3/31/2002

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. - ''Oh, them golden slippers ...''

The words of the folk song come back as you watch Serena Williams making her heavenly moves in the gilded sneakers that carried her upward yesterday and into the thick of the fight for supremacy on the women's tennis tour.

Medusa, the Women's Tennis Association computer, declares that Jennifer Capriati is No. 1, Venus Williams No. 2, Martina Hingis No. 3. But the other Williams, No. 9 Little Sister Serena, so flashily shod, crunched those numbers and all three of the players in succession to win the Nasdaq-100 Open without the loss of a set.

What a 3-2-1 punch within four days!

What does Capriati have to do at Crandon Park to purge the Sisters Sledgehammer from her nightmares? ''I don't think about it,'' said Capriati, putting on the poker face of someone who has seen the pots go elsewhere.

Really?

A year ago in this same sun-bleached amphitheater Venus snatched the title stash from Capriati by refusing to fold though Capriati held eight match points. Yesterday, in yet another tense screamer, Oracene Williams's 20-year-old baby, Serena, stonewalled Capriati on seven set points in the second - five of them on the loser's serve - and won it in a tiebreaker, as Big Sister had done. This time it was Williams, 7-5, 7-6 (7-4).

Capriati served for the first set at 5-4, and for the second at 5-4 and 6-5. You can't ask for opportunity to knock any louder - unless, maybe, your knees are knocking, too. That was enough opportunity to win the championship of the world's fifth-ranking tournament.

However ...

''I was just determined to win in two sets,'' Williams said. ''If I could beat Venus [she was 1-5 against Big Sister coming in] I figured it was my duty to win the title. This was my day. Jennifer and I always go three sets, but after I won the first I was determined to close it out in two. I was sloppy at times, but I just wanted to play the big points right. And I did.''

No doubt about that. When the point was a necessity, Williams made it hers. The tougher the shot the tougher she was. The easier the shot - she was hopeless.

Apparently Williams never met a simple shot that she liked. On short balls, she hit long. Working her way to the net (something she's refreshingly willing to do), she klutzed a gimme volley.

''I got tired of missing the easy ones, but some days are like that. How many errors did I make? Fifty-nine? That is unbelievable.''

Capriati's 38 hurt her more, as she failed to protect leads.

They were the ladies in red, marching onto the green pavement at high noon to begin shooting at each other like Gary Cooper and the plug-uglies. But both Floridians wore white hats in the eyes of the 12,528 bystanders, the crowd seemingly evenly split. It was 2 hours 2 minutes of alternating cacophony saluting their shotmaking and silence readying for the next point.

Williams in them golden slippers had a slight edge in speed and mobility, but both were remarkable retrievers and bangers. Williams's superior serve, averaging 100 m.p.h. on first balls, whizzed for nine aces and 11 service winners, and frequently extricated her from danger. Down, 1-3, 0-30, in the second set, Williams heated up with two aces and two service winners - three of the blows at 117 m.p.h., her top speed.

That kept her in the set, from which she almost fell at 3-5 and the first two set points. Two heavy serves canceled them, and Williams broke immediately to 5-5 on Capriati mistakes, one a double fault.

But Williams lost her serve to 5-6, the prelude to the most excruciating game of the tournament. For almost a quarter-hour, through eight deuces, Capriati labored to seize the set, five times so close she could taste it. But whatever she set up Williams knocked down. Only once, a double fault on the fourth set point of the game, did Capriati help her. Otherwise it was a tour de force of self rescue for Williams as she smacked winners to stay alive, one a difficult leaping overhead, the last a stinging swinging volley.

That left the audience limp, with a tiebreaker, and perhaps a third set to come. Again Capriati jumped to the lead, 3 points to 1, but could squeeze merely one more point from Williams.

''Serena doesn't give you any rhythm,'' Capriati said. ''She's much more erratic than Venus.''

Also richer, at least for the week.

''Oh, them golden slippers,'' as the song goes. ''Golden slippers I'm gonna wear to walk the golden street.''

Williams will walk the street weighted down by her 13th title (first of the year) and gold amounting to $385,000.

This story ran on page D3 of the Boston Globe on 3/31/2002.
© Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.

treufreund
Mar 31st, 2002, 07:14 PM
You conveniently forgot to mention how Mary pointed out that Jenn use "a lot of vulgar language at the Australian Open". Serena had 59 errors, many of them do to footwork. Mary Carillo RULES! Don't mess with MM (Magnificent Mary)

Gumbycat
Mar 31st, 2002, 07:18 PM
You just have to press the "MUTE" button between points. It is getting really bad in the booth.

''Serena doesn't give you any rhythm,'' Capriati said. ''She's much more erratic than Venus.'' ........so what?

veryborednow
Mar 31st, 2002, 07:19 PM
What did MC say about Jen and Serena then??

You should listen to Annabel Croft who thinks the sun shines out of the Williams' arse :p

treufreund
Mar 31st, 2002, 07:24 PM
Pam Shriver has wet dreams in the booth when commentating Venus's match (much more so than Serena). Pam doesn't like Hingis, Henin or Mauresmo, or just about any other non-American. Two years ago I thought Mary Carillo did nothing but kiss the Williams ass but after Indian Wells last year she seems neutral now but if you are not constantly praising the Williams and criticize them just a bit then you are attacked. Mary is the bomb.

Ryan
Mar 31st, 2002, 07:29 PM
But what really got my goat though, was when she wiped her hand on her outfit after losing to Venus at the US Open.

Seems to me after a tennis match you might get juuuust abit SWEATY. Maybe she had sweat on her hadn and wiped it off.:rolleyes:

Ryan
Mar 31st, 2002, 07:29 PM
Very true treufreund. Pam Shriver is biased more then any tennis player.

treufreund
Mar 31st, 2002, 07:35 PM
:confused: what is wrong with wiping your hands off on your outfit???

Dawn Marie
Mar 31st, 2002, 07:35 PM
:wavey: Gumbycat, no the funniest thing I heard was Jennifer saying you can't get any rhythem when they play?

EXCUSE ME MISS JENNIFER BUT BEFORE YOU WON 3 SLAMS YOUR ASS WAS SLOW AND MAKING SOOOOOOO MANY UNFORCED ERRORS, AND HAD NO RHYTHEM. Y)U STILL MAKE MANY UE'S??

THESE PEOPLE HAVE NO ANSWER TO VENUS AND SERENA WHEN THEIR ON THEIR GAME SO THEY SAY SILLY STUFF TO HELP THIER LOSSES.

MARY C REALLY DOESN'T KNOW ALOT OF TIMES WHAT SHE BE TALKING ABOUT. SHE NEEDS TO GET HER FACTS STRAIGHT ON ALOT OF REMARKS SHE SAYS. ACCORDING TO HER JENNIFER AND HINGIS PRACTISE EVERYDAY TOGETHER. NOT TRUE.

ANYHOW MARY C IS NOT THAT BAD.. IMHO.

I THOUGHT SHE WAS GOOD WHEN VENUS PLAYED HINGIS AT 2000 US OPEN. SHE PRAISED VENUS THE WHOLE WAY.

NOPE THE WORSE IGNORANT COMMENTATOR IS BY FAR CHRIS EVERET. SHE SAID THAT *JUSTINE'S ONE-HAND BACKHAND IS A LIABILTY ON GRASS*. I shall never forget that line.. it was so stupid. Made her look like a total idiot of the game imho.

Fingon
Mar 31st, 2002, 07:36 PM
You don't expect me to read all of that do you?

anyways, I read the first part and I got the idea.

Thou should not say anything remotely negative about either Williams siter or will burn in hell.

I watched the match, I heard Mary Carrillo, and I couldn't see how she is biased against the Williams. She did say Serena was making errors, which is true, she said Serena has to improve her footwork, which is true. She did mention Jennifer's errors but maybe your own bias didn't let you hear it, and she did commend Serena when she hit good shots, even with comments like ohhh, my god or stuff like that, but you seem to be focused only on the slightest negative comment on the perfect Williams sisters.

I forgot, they are beyond the human race, they don't make UE, all aspects of their games are perfect, they are smarter than Eisntein and speak 458 languages fluently. It's never night where they are because their aura lights their path. Maybe we should offer human sacrifices to them???

Jay
Mar 31st, 2002, 07:38 PM
errrr

don't worry about it

whatever the commenters say can't take away the fact that Venus and Serena are world class players and the record book will always reflect that.

Everyone true tennis fan knows that they are both a force to be reckened with, even the Seles/Hingis posters here who hate the Williams Sisters.

They still fear them, why? because they're bloody good !

treufreund
Mar 31st, 2002, 07:40 PM
Fingon,

Sarcasm is great but on this board with the Williams-colored glasses many have on they might just think you meant that last paragraph (note the sarcasm in my sentence ;))

Dawn Marie
Mar 31st, 2002, 07:52 PM
And who can ever forget the *curse of Chrissy*?

I betcha she thinks Martina Hingis will win the FRENCH OPEN.. yet again this year. :)Talk about bias ignorant commentators. I dont care, Chrissy is still the most foolish sounding one out there. LMAO:)

GogoGirl
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:21 PM
My bad - because I thought I was allowed to give my perception on the matter and the first set. Not everyone has the same perceptions on many things in life. But I'd add that all one has to do is watch and hear M. C. commenting on the first set. If one listens closely enough and w/a fair heart - one will be able to hear Mary's bias. Again - this is just MO.

And to the poster that states my post was too long, the best solution for you would be to not read any of my posts - for you never know how long I'll go.

Lastly, and besides the fact that M. C. showed her bias towards Serena, to me, she was also wrong for the most part. Evidently players can't count on that strategy - for the Sisters still win. She is outdating herself for bringing up the same old - same old, in every semi and/or final - the Sisters participate in. I.e., advising opponents of the Sisters to hit the ball down the middle to them. I mean, we have watched sooooo many tourneys in the last three years, and w/the Sisters still winning the ones where M. C. has given free advice on how the other players should play them. She started saying the above in 2000, to the best of my
knowledge.

Even so - the strategy she Touts and tries to spin - does not work - for the most part, and as it has been proven.

moon
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:24 PM
You're right about that one Dawn.
Down wit Chrissy! lol

anyway, Mary does tend to harp on Rena's errors. but the funny part was win she started to clean up after herself at the end of the tiebreak, when it became obvious that Rena was about to close it out. Only then does she start gushing about what great competitors Vee and Rena are.

btw--Go Pammy! (it was great to see her today :)) and even better, espn will be covering Roland Garros, and now we'll get to see her 3 out of 4 slams a year. Yippeee!

veryborednow
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:30 PM
:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

AGAIN!!!! what did MC say about Serena and Jen??

GogoGirl
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:33 PM
veryborednow. She said that Jen and Serena did not like (could not stand) each other.

Sorry vbn.

Monica_Rules
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:40 PM
Simon Reed does the same on Eurosport.When Henin beat Venus in Berlin she did the right tactics to beat the williams sisters hit down the middle.Simon was quite joyfull.

I think the reason is the sisters are so dominant in so many deparments of the game there one weakness is quite clear and people like to point it out as if they are cleaver!:rolleyes:

I worked it out ages ago!:rolleyes: :D

veryborednow
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:40 PM
literally - those exact words? or implied meaning?

Fingon
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:46 PM
For the record, I can't stand Chris Evert and I don't care if she is biased towards Martina or whoever, she is biased and a bad commentator, period.

I can't stand: Chris Evert, Pam Shriver (by far the worst), Pat Cash, Patrick McEnroe.

Dislike: Cliff Drysdale, Bud Collins, Tracy Austin

Neutral: Martina Navratilova, Virginia Wade, Malivai Washington, Mary Jo

Like: John McEnroe, Mary Carrillo.

Dawn Marie
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:48 PM
Gogogirl, I understand what your refering to about Mary's bias remarks during the final. She did keep harping on Serena and ignored Jennifer's trash mouth. She was funny when she changed her tune somewhat at the end, like Moon stated. BUT she is not as nearly as bad as Chris Everet.:)

NOTE: Hitting the ball down the middle doesn't work with ALOT of players. PLAYERS find it hard to get out of the way when the ball is hit right at them. Serena did the same thing to Jennifer.. lmao. Mary C is always refering to the "ball down the middle" and ONLY when they play. ENOUGH MARY C.

So commentators or whoever stop it with the ball down the middle thingy. Apparently it just aint working. Look at the stats.LMAO

Bottom line is this:

Serena won and Jennifer got sent packing.. for the third straight time. Serena is 22 out of 24 in her last matches.

Dawn Marie
Mar 31st, 2002, 09:00 PM
And one more thing...

MARY DECIDED TO OPEN HER MOUTH AND LOOK AN ASS WHEN SHE STATED THAT JENNIFER (AND SERENA) DIDN'T LIKE EACH OTHER. MARY STATED A BOLD FACE LIE. SERENA HAS NEVER SAID A BAD THING ABOUT JENNIFER. THAT ALL CAME FROM JENNIFER'S MOUTH.

Mary C included Serena in the not getting along department because she can't fathom Serena as being the nice tour player and Jennifer as the nasty bitter one. Nope she HAD to include her bias and TRIED her best to include Serena in a negative light.

WELL I SAW RIGHT THRU HER.

And yet still Mary C is not tha bad. Just a bit lame this tournament that's all.

Worst commentators is JOHN MCENROE

I LOVE BILLIE JEAN KING,MARY JO FERNANDEZ

Worst talker(cant say commentator cause they know nothing about tennis) is .. again.. CHRIS THE CURSE EVERET.

GogoGirl
Mar 31st, 2002, 09:12 PM
I got the below link from a friend from another board. Thanks friend.

http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=SP&action=m&board=18105008&tid=williamssisterstennischronicles&sid=18105008&mid=6164

harloo
Mar 31st, 2002, 09:40 PM
It's obvious MC loves her some Jen, and sometimes she is biased, but so is a other commentators. So, it's just natural that even though MC tries to remain impartial she just can't do it. If you aren't paying attention to it, then you won't notice it. However, if you are then you realize it from the start. I have no problem with MC, because most of the time she is fair. She tries no to be bias, but it's hard for her.

As far as Jen not liking V&S it's so obvious with her. I think Venus gets to her more since people say that she is the real #1. I mean anyone would be upset or build some animosity if they were the #1 on computer, but others are saying someone else is. Jens comments about Venus and Serena leads me to believe that their is some type of resentment or something going on. Maybe it's the fact that Vee has beaten her 4 times in a row.
Gogogirl, I didn't know she did that at the USOPEN. I have it on tape but didn't notice it. However, I did notice that she wiped her hand on her dress after shaking Venus' s at Pilot Pen 2001 semis. Venus and Serena has never said anything negative about Jennifer, I think it's because they know that if they do it will all be blown out of porportion. Whereas Jen can get away with it, like she has every since her comeback. Sorry, JMHO and it's the truth.
:)

Gumbycat
Apr 1st, 2002, 01:35 AM
Dawn, use the Mute button when they start to talk.

Ms. Lively
Apr 1st, 2002, 03:00 AM
worst commentator is bud collins. he's like a pedophile or something. he is obsessed with young girl tennis players.