PDA

View Full Version : Why Now Do The Rankings Matter So Much To You All?

AjdeNate!
Mar 31st, 2002, 05:25 AM
I'm not pointing names, but all of last year all I read was that it wasn't matter what you were ranked, because "we all know who the 'real' #1 is." Now all of the sudden these same people who were not at all interested in ranking positions (or so they said....), now seem all engrossed in pointing out the 'awful' system that 'sux' and is 'bull****'. Those are some adjectives I've seen just today describing the ranking system. I guess, now all of the sudden, why do we care about numerical placements?

joao
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:08 AM
Because "numerical placements" as you call them is what will be written in the books and therefore not forgotten!!!:bounce:

rhz
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:58 AM
I always care for the ranking! now jen is #1 she deserves the top spot with her result. Venus proofed herself and others that if she played more she could get to #1, which she did for a couple of weeks. Now Martina needs to win the big ones, cos without them she could not be #1 again, Thank God that finally Serena realized there's no way that she could move to the top without playing enough tourns!

Legends
Mar 31st, 2002, 12:37 PM
Why Now Do The Rankings Matter So Much To You All?

true dat.

as far as i'm concerned its all about the slams

Rollo
Mar 31st, 2002, 01:31 PM
It's all slams for me too. As long as the #1 has at least one slam under her belt, I can "accept" whoever is on top of the computer.

In Monica's case though, a good ranking DOES matter because a high seeding(#4) at Roland Garros could help her win a last grand slam:)

Kart
Mar 31st, 2002, 03:58 PM
Rollo it won't be her last - just her tenth ;).

Frankly I think that the ranking system is great and rewards the players who turn up regularly not just to the big events. They deserve something for their efforts.

I never really look at it as who's the best player in the world just as who's been consistently good over the last year - I agree slams are important, but they only take up two months of a ten month tour and the WTA tour is a lot bigger than just those four events.

AjdeNate!
Mar 31st, 2002, 04:27 PM
Well said on all accounts, Kart!

Ryan
Mar 31st, 2002, 04:33 PM
Yeah Kart, I couldn't agree more.