PDA

View Full Version : seles fans-let's look forward to the french

tb
Mar 31st, 2002, 05:30 AM
I think that Monica has an excellent shot at the '02 French Open title for Grand Slam Tournament victory number 10!! She has had a very consistent year so far with some excellent wins and matches. I saw some vintage Seles play in her win against V. Williams and against Capriati tho other night-that match could have certainly gone her way with one more stinging second serve return! I feel that clay is Monica's best surface-her groundstokes are obviously her huge weapons and are quite equal in their potency-no real "weakness" to hit to. The clay surface allows Monica more time to set up to unleash her groundstrokes and we know that when Monica is set for her shots she is lethal with her pace and accuracy! I also saw her playing some improved defense against Capriati , bringing back the defensive lob at times which brought her back into the point and running down some bullets. The clay surface will also tone down the power of the top power players on the groundstrokes and serve which bodes well for Monica.(I can see her being in more control of the point, being forced out of position less) Just take a look at her results at the French: of course 3 victories!!2000-3set loss to event champ Pierce 1999-3 set loss to eventual champ Graf. 1998-3 set loss to champ S.Vicario. 1997-3 set loss to Hingis who lost to an outstanding Iva Majoli in the final. I like Monica's chances against Venus, Serena, Jennifer and Martina on clay-all of her matches against Hingis on clay have been very close except when she dominated Hingis at the '98 French! I feel she is the stongest clay-courter of the bunch-good luck Monica!!

AjdeNate!
Mar 31st, 2002, 05:32 AM
1990 Italian - 2000 Italian
1992 French - 2002 French?

I see a pattern here! ;)

Tennisfan**
Mar 31st, 2002, 10:10 AM
I nooooooooooooooooooooooo i had noticed that pattern too! Yes i totally agree, after last summer and this year so far i do not totally fear anyone Monica plays. Beforehand i hated her playing the williamses or hingis but i have new confidence as im sure Moni does too. I am also looking for BIG things from RG but lets see her form on clay first before engraving the RG trophy for 2002!

Kart
Mar 31st, 2002, 05:12 PM
Injury free, I think that Monica has her best chance since 1998 to win at the French.

I hope she can do it !!!

Grice
Mar 31st, 2002, 05:21 PM
It's great to see u people all so positive abt Monica's chances !
Well, let's take it a step further and hope that she'll not only take RG.. , she'll reach the Wimby finals (if she gets a good draw) and maybe win it... and then get the No. 1 ranking. like someone said, this is her best shot at No. 1 ...

IT CAN HAPPEN!
Go Monica!
:bounce:

tb
Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:55 AM
Very much looking forward to Monica playing Venus or Serena on clay which she has never done and also playing Jen, Martina on clay which has not happened in a long while-bring on the clay season-look for Monica to be primed and confident!!