PDA

View Full Version : A Rare Feat ONLY Accomplished By Monica Seles

AjdeNate!
Mar 31st, 2002, 03:30 AM
In the last 12 months, Seles is the ONLY player on the Sanex WTA Tour to have recorded wins over Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Jennifer Capriati and Martina Hingis in that time.

Honorable Mention:
Sandrine Testud is the only other player to have beaten just Capriati and Venus Williams in the last year.

Mikey
Mar 31st, 2002, 03:34 AM
wow! go monica :D i didnt know that! that's impressive :bounce:

AjdeNate!
Mar 31st, 2002, 03:38 AM
Most recent wins v Top 3

#1 Jen --> 2001 Acura QF Seles d. Jennifer 6.3 6.3
#2 Venus --> 2002 Australian QF Seles d. Venus 6.7(4) 6.2 6.3
#3 Martina --> 2001 estyle QF Seles d. Martina 6.3 1.6 6.4

AjdeNate!
Mar 31st, 2002, 03:38 AM
Oddly enough....all Quarterfinals....

Mikey
Mar 31st, 2002, 03:40 AM
yes, ive noticed that too. monica seems to look flawless through the QFs, but when she hits that SF, she crumbles. look at her SFs at the past big tournys

Miami: SF loss to Capriati (though she was really close)
IW: SF crushed by Hingis
AO: SF loss to Hingis

i dont know what it is...

AjdeNate!
Mar 31st, 2002, 03:42 AM
For AO, IW, & Nasdaq, I blame the opponent, not Monica. ;)

Jordan.
Mar 31st, 2002, 03:43 AM
Congrats Monica! :bounce:

CanIGetAWhat
Mar 31st, 2002, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Seles

Honorable Mention:
Sandrine Testud is the only other player to have beaten just Capriati and Venus Williams in the last year.

Venus lost to Sandrine last year? :confused:

AjdeNate!
Mar 31st, 2002, 03:52 AM
This year; in the middle East - Dubai.

CanIGetAWhat
Mar 31st, 2002, 03:53 AM
well then, Serena is also the only other player besides Sandrine to defeat both Venus and Jennifer ;)

Mikey
Mar 31st, 2002, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by Seles
For AO, IW, & Nasdaq, I blame the opponent, not Monica. ;)

sure, we'll go w/ that...;) :kiss:

morbidangle
Mar 31st, 2002, 04:41 AM
Justine beat both Venus and Jennifer last year..

A4
Mar 31st, 2002, 05:06 AM
How many losses has Seles suffered to the mentioned players over the past 12 months? It just doesn't seem right to post only her wins and conveniently forget her losses to the players and call that a rare feat. Afterall, all the players have beaten and lost to each other at some stage in their careers.

AjdeNate!
Mar 31st, 2002, 05:09 AM
Well, it's not a stat I made up - It's here:
http://www.sanexwtatour.com/assets/story_pdf/Miami_Final.pdf

And yes, she lost to all 3 of them w/in the same timeframe, nobody else has beaten all 3 of them w/in the past 12 months. So, for that - this is a rare feat.

AjdeNate!
Mar 31st, 2002, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by morbidangle
Justine beat both Venus and Jennifer last year..

Sorry, it was a Sanex WTA article - I didn't do the #s.

AjdeNate!
Mar 31st, 2002, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by A4
How many losses has Seles suffered to the mentioned players over the past 12 months? It just doesn't seem right to post only her wins and conveniently forget her losses to the players and call that a rare feat. Afterall, all the players have beaten and lost to each other at some stage in their careers.

There's no 'convenience' to it. The thread is about 1 player who has beaten the current Top 3 in the past 12months, and the fact that only 1 player has done that. The thread isn't about players who have lost to the current Top 3.

RYNJ
Mar 31st, 2002, 06:14 AM
In the last 12 months, Seles is the ONLY player on the Sanex WTA Tour to have recorded wins over Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Jennifer Capriati and Martina Hingis in that time.

Serena beat all of them in one tourny, see NAsdaq 100, but of course she cannot defeat herself :eek: :eek: :eek: Unless you switch Lindsay in Serena's place!!!

joao
Mar 31st, 2002, 07:52 AM
Well it is a great achievement indeed but not a unique one!

Venus in the last 12 months beat everybody in the top10!!!!:bounce:

Serena in the last 12 months beat everybody in the top10 but Dokic (she didn't play her!) :bounce:

wongqks
Mar 31st, 2002, 07:55 AM
why people get pissed with someone quoiting an article is beyond me. the reason Seles post it is because IT IS TRUE. we are not conveniently ignoring her losses coz in teh end this thread is not about her losses

AjdeNate!
Apr 1st, 2002, 08:40 PM
As stated by the WTA's News:

...Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Jennifer Capriati and Martina Hingis....

Obviously if you're one of those 4, you can beat yourself, but you can't win doing it. ;)

Deira
Apr 1st, 2002, 08:50 PM
Seles ... why did you feel the need to enter the Williams fan thread and post about Monica (who I happen to like by the way)?

AjdeNate!
Apr 1st, 2002, 08:59 PM
I like the Williams', and it was about their chances on clay - as well as chances of Kim and Monica on clay. I am entitled to an opinion and that's what was posted. I thought anyone could post there? I guess you think otherwise.

Monica_Rules
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:10 PM
YEAH GO MONICA:D

Deira
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:16 PM
I'm glad you like Venus and Serena. What I don't understand is why you would make a post praising Monica's stats over Serena's in a Williams fan thread. It makes more sense, IMO, to post that in Monica's fan thread ... logically speaking :rolleyes:

Ryan
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:19 PM
Some people are afraid for anyone BUT their favorite ot get praise. Thats a great stat for Monica, especially her win over Venus. Hopefully she'll do better this year.

Deira
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:35 PM
Ryan14 speaking for myself, I am under the impression that fan threads are for fans, or those who wish to give credit to the player(s) who the thread is about. To me, this is an unwritten, obvious protocol and I would never enter a fan thread to put down a player. You, on the other hand, may feel otherwise which is your right. I am not "afraid" of anything or anyone on this message board.

AjdeNate!
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:37 PM
Since, I'm a fan of all tennis and all tennis players - I just thought I would be allowed to post my thoughts. Guess I was wrong. Those posts were deleted and I won't ever go to the Wms thing again.

A4
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:40 PM
I just don't get it.:confused: I mean,.......

I give up.

If Seles beats Abraham, Adam and Eve shitless without her getting licked in turn, hey, I'll be the first to shower praises. But as far as I'm concerned, she's just playing a normal schedule. Its not even recent. In the last 12 months......

If we go far enough, we'll find "impressive" stats for every player.
At this rate, we'll be having thank you and praise threads for Seles for just holding a racket.

Deira
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:43 PM
I hope you are joking Seles. You said you like Venus and Serena. Feel free to come to their fan thread and sing their praises any time. I'm sure all Williams fans will join me in welcoming you because we like to hear nice things said about the Williams sisters on their thread :)

Kart
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by A4

At this rate, we'll be having thank you and praise threads for Seles for just holding a racket.

I have no objection to that.

And Seles :), I'm sure you'll always be welcome in the Seles fan threads so it's not all bad :).

AjdeNate!
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:46 PM
Well, If you ever paid any attention to other threads of mine..... you will see that I often post NEWS ARTICLES from the Sanex WTA. This original post is from there.

I guess if you don't get it, you need to buy Hooked on Phoenics. It's a simple stat that NOBODY else has accomplished in the past 12 months.... It's not that hard to understand.

AjdeNate!
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Deira
I hope you are joking Seles. You said you like Venus and Serena. Feel free to come to their fan thread and sing their praises any time. I'm sure all Williams fans will join me in welcoming you because we like to hear nice things said about the Williams sisters on their thread :)

It just makes me mad... So many posters are 100% their fave and are untolerant of any other player. I just love tennis. Period. I love when Venus does good, I love Hingis doing good, I even love it when Tian Tian Sun wins a challenger match.

I guess I just try to keep people grounded and 'honest' about their faves. Honest meaning, not letting them post inflated crap or hypotheticals.

Tennis is a game, and people that see it for more than that have issues. I just wish people around here would tolerate people like me who enjoy tennis. ALL tennis, all players of tennis, all attributes of TENNIS.

Deira
Apr 1st, 2002, 09:55 PM
I understand what you mean Seles ... I love tennis also, especially women's tennis. But if I'm in my favs fan thread reading about them, their lives, their family, looking at pictures of them, etc., it's a slap in the face to come across a post putting them down even if there are stats to prove it. Surely you can understand what I'm talking about since you are so passionate about Monica and I'm sure you visit her fan thread.

AjdeNate!
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:02 PM
In my defense, I was just responding to what I believe I'm entitled to do. I don't think Serena's fans should be led astray in the fact that she may get a better ranking because of what a junior poster says with bad information.

and i don't expect seles to do all that good during the clay court season!, what do you all think!

So I posted both players winning % and match wins/losses. Posting that Serena has @ .708 % with 17W/7L is not bad, I don't think. I guess I shouldn't...but that's just me keeping people honest.

Crazy Canuck
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:08 PM
Seles - thanks for pointing out that great stat of Monica's :) Its good to hear, and not surprising.

WHY anyone would try to take away from that is beyond me.

Deira
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:10 PM
What goes around ... comes around :rolleyes:

A4
Apr 1st, 2002, 10:27 PM
Boy oh boy!

Crazy Canuck
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:24 AM
"What goes around ... comes around "

Remember that next time it comes your way Deira :kiss:

Deira
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:58 AM
"What goes around ... comes around "

"Remember that next time it comes your way Deira"

... and you as well Becca ;)

SerenasMelons
Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:34 AM
Good stat for Monica, although it is worth mentioning that Serena beat all of those players as well (except for herself) in the timespan of 72 hours. I think thats pretty impressive as well. Venus beat all of them too, if you count beating Hingis in Key Biscane in March 2001. So Monica is in good company.

Bright Red
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by joao
...Venus in the last 12 months beat everybody in the top10!!!!:bounce:

Serena in the last 12 months beat everybody in the top10 but Dokic (she didn't play her!)

Now that's truly impressive!;) Not surprising, but impressive.

Crazy Canuck
Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:47 AM
Very well Deira :)

Thats why I make an effort not to go into other fan threads and insult players, or direct attention away from the good stat that was made about them.

Not that I would WANT to insult a player anyhow - but even if I did, I would remember how much it pissed me off.

What goes around comes around for all .

Miranda
Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:31 AM
:D :D