PDA

View Full Version : The field at Sarasota is packed!

Volcana
Mar 31st, 2002, 02:19 AM
New flash for those of you who never check out small tournaments. These are the top ten seeds at Sarasota.

1 Meghann Shaughnessy
2 Barbara Schett
3 Henrieta Nagyova
4 Daja Bedanova
5 Rita Grande
6 Patty Schnyder
7 Tatiana Panova
8 Nadia Petrova
9 Anne Kremer
10 Ai Sugiyama

Not impressed? This is a Tier FOUR tournament. They have TEN top 30 players. And everybody here needs to make a move in the rankings soon. Meghann Shaughnessy BETTER win this. SHe's the big quality points, so people will be gunning for her. A player can easily pick up 100 quality points against a field this deep.

Ms. Lively
Mar 31st, 2002, 02:45 AM
I hope that Tatiana Panova wins it.

MaRKy MaRk
Mar 31st, 2002, 02:50 AM
Isn't Mary Pierce playing here as well???

If she is, I hope she wins it!

Joseosu19
Mar 31st, 2002, 03:29 AM
Add Arantxa to that list...:wavey:

Jordan.
Mar 31st, 2002, 03:49 AM
Rita will win this! :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 31st, 2002, 07:06 AM
a small event is a $10K ;)

nice field ;) im not suprised at all
usually West Palm $75 is held at this time and that always got a great field for a tourn of that level.

Scotso
Mar 31st, 2002, 07:16 AM
You left out Dokic as well.

This event has 4 slam champions... Pierce, Sanchez-Vicario, Martinez, and Majoli.

Benny
Mar 31st, 2002, 07:49 AM
Tammy Tanasugarn is playing!:o

TeeRexx
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:11 AM
She would be able to go deeper in the draw during the tournament and thus get in some more much needed match play.

But, alas, she chose to go to Amelia Island where she will probably not see the 3rd round.

ajayares
Mar 31st, 2002, 09:41 AM
What, you want Anna to play every week now???
Until you see the draw I don't think you can make a judgement on how far she could go.. but if she plays like she has the previous 2 events she could easily lose in the first Rd, even if she played this event..

matthias
Mar 31st, 2002, 09:49 AM
some 1st Round match-ups:

Dokic(1) - Martinez
Sugiyama(7) - Pierce

SM
Mar 31st, 2002, 09:55 AM
GOOD LUCK JELENA AND MARY!
hope theyre 100% and ready to rumble :)

thefreedesigner
Mar 31st, 2002, 11:11 AM
What, you want Anna to play every week now???

Er, excuse me for thinking that was exactly what Anna had been doing!!!!

With the kind of schedule Anna's been going for this year, perhaps the sensible thing would have to been to play here and skip Amelia Island?? Far be it from me to suggest Anna's tour schedule, but - look around - there are no Top 10 players in this event. So although the field is incredibly strong and competitive, there is MORE of a chance for Anna to go a few rounds.

I'm not saying Anna SHOULD be here, but all things considered it's fair comment to ponder as to why she isn't.

ajayares
Mar 31st, 2002, 11:59 AM
Well true she has played every week so far even though at the 3 biggest events this year (2 week events) she lost in the first Rd...

But now she is having a week off (according to the schedule) I don't think she should have entered this event.. the field for this event is pretty good for a tier 4..

BTW Dokic is playing she is top 10..

Plus she is playing 5 of the next 6 weeks (starting from Amelia Island).. so I think she has made the right decision here..

MLF
Mar 31st, 2002, 12:17 PM
It is a very good field for this tier of event. Unfortunately some of the marquee players are facing off in round 1 as posted.
You also have Anna Smashnova in the qualifying event who has had 2 tournament wins this season. Also in the qualifying you have a Wimbledon semi finalist in the form of Mirjana Lucic. And as I haven't been able to celebrtate too many Mirjana wins lately can I just have a big woo-hoo for myself as she won her first match against Rachel McQuillan.