PDA

View Full Version : Martina will fall to #6 (probably)

mishar
Mar 31st, 2002, 02:13 AM
Martina will not be defending points at Amelia Island and Charleston, so she'll drop to around 3370.

That means that Kim will be ahead of her.

Monica has around 3320
Serena has around 3280.

Monica and Serena both have no points to defend. (Monica is playing both, Serena only Charleston). They both stand a very good chance of passing her.

Martina has a chance to catch up in the red clay, however.

AjdeNate!
Mar 31st, 2002, 02:20 AM
Martina will make it up at Wimbledon for sure! (But let me just rejoice that my Monica is headed back to the top 3 or 4 within the next 3 weeks for the first time in over a year!)

Happy happy joy joy! ;)

Williams Rulez
Mar 31st, 2002, 02:21 AM
Not to mention.... Monica and Serena have significantly less points to defend at RG...

Kim has no other points other than the RG points to defend during the caly court season, and she has less points to defend than Martina...

This does not bode well for Martina...

MartianJoeyWinson
Mar 31st, 2002, 02:21 AM
We're just waiting for the pride to come after the fall, and the fall to come after the pride, if you know what I mean :)

FORZA Martina!

treufreund
Mar 31st, 2002, 02:58 AM
I'm looking at the Sanex race where Martina still leads and may very well still lead going into Roland Garros. Wimbledon, Eastbourne, the summer and then especially the fall present many many opportunities for Martina to pick up points. For now it's a question of more or less maintaining until later on in the year where she may very well start picking up a lot of point. The race to #1 this year could have five or six serious contenders all very close until the very end.

saki
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:37 AM
But she is playing Hamburg to make up for missing these two.

And she's sure to better last years Wimbledon 1st round. Even if she does drop to #6, I don't think it'll be for long.

rhz
Mar 31st, 2002, 09:04 AM
this would be her worst ranked since i don't know when! but she usually very smart picking tourns, she picks a lot of tier 1s and 2s where a lot of big babes don't play, or only 1 playing! usually she wins these tourns and gained a lot of points! if she dropped to # 6 , although it's only for a while is proving that she had made bad tourn selection this year! or those big babes are starting to play more ?

Jessica02
Mar 31st, 2002, 11:13 AM
Martina playing 1st rounds in tournies....:fiery:

yeah for a while she'll fall down the rankings but surely 1/8's of Wimbledon at least!! surely, probably semis, but the draws are not going to be that kind to Marti anymore.

She'll end the year top 5 definately. Probably top 3.
After the French she really hasnt got much to defend she had a mediocre hard court season,Last year. Semi final of the US is it really.

Pureracket
Mar 31st, 2002, 12:12 PM
How good is that for other top players if Martina falls from top four? I'm sure nobody wants to face her as a quarterfinal opponent on clay, especially RG where she tends to do very well.

ajayares
Mar 31st, 2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Jessica02
Martina playing 1st rounds in tournies....:fiery:

Well I don't think you have to worry about that since the events she is playing such as Berlin and Rome have fields of 56, meaning 8 byes.. as for Hamburg (field of 28) she is going to be seeded either 2 or 3 so don't need to worry there either..

Infact there are very few, if any events were all the top player play (field of 28) Plus after Wimbledon I cannot see her outside the top 4 anyway.. Plus she is also currently leading the chase Race aswell..

Monica_Rules
Mar 31st, 2002, 02:38 PM
It'll be quite strange not having Marti a top 4 seed!:eek:

But go Monica #3 by Roland Garros!:D

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Mar 31st, 2002, 05:27 PM
Don't worry, our Marti will be back! Just wait and see! :) :bounce:

Ryan
Mar 31st, 2002, 05:37 PM
Well said Marri.

And Martina is playing Hamburg, Berlin and Rome. She'll make up more points in those three tournaments then then she'll lose in Amelia Island and Charleston.

treufreund
Mar 31st, 2002, 06:32 PM
Folks don't worry because if she is seeded 5-8 then she most likely will not face Serena or Monica/Kim in the quarters. Whether you are seed 1-4 or 5-8 you still have a very tough quarterfinal these days.