PDA

View Full Version : No Player Of The Year For Lindsay?????

LethalLindsay
Mar 23rd, 2005, 02:37 PM
I am appalled by the fact Sharapova won the Player of the Year award over Lindsay. A 63-9 record for the year, 7 titles and a year end number one ranking apparently just does not cut it against the "popularity" of Sharapova!

I am nothing short of disgusted!

The
Mar 23rd, 2005, 02:44 PM
I can certainly understand where you're coming from on this one. The choice was so tough in 2004 because you had quite a few women who did great in the majors.

Lindsay got deep into the draw in every one but didn't make a final.
Sharapova won wimbledon and YEC.
Justine won AO and Olympics.
Myskina won French and not much else.
Kuznetsova won US Open and not much else.

Plus Dementieva got to two finals.

Obviously the choice was tough but I think that whoever decided who was player of the year went for titles won instead of consistency.

Either way is understandable.

Kelly
Mar 23rd, 2005, 04:00 PM
at least we got an award...what was it...sportsmanship or something.

lindsayno1
Mar 23rd, 2005, 04:56 PM
yeah!

foreva lindsay
Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:44 PM
tut tut...screamapova over the queen :rolleyes:

Loughyunijen
Mar 24th, 2005, 11:21 AM
If lindsay had of won just one GS last year....should would have been unquestionably been Player of the year. But the fact that she did not convert either Wimby....Us open or YEC's to a win.....unfortunatley meant screamapova got the title.

In my own opinion and this is just my opinion i think maria was worthy of best newcommer to the tour by far....I mean at 17 she has made a remarkable impact on womans tennis world wide...and has promoted it loads......infact the USTA stats....say that during the 2004 year girls tennis increased 7% from 2003....ultimately due to the promotion and hype around mainly sharapova on the womans tour. The publicity around this girl and her tennis is phenominal. I actually think its quite a remarkable story (the sharapova one).

Im not actually sure who I would have voted for as player of the.....I dont think anyone stood out LOADS.....Lindsays should get most consistent player of the year...cause she always made the semis or better.....but im afraid when it comes down to it....winners only win.....when they win on the big stage.....Grand slams!

Hopefully lindsay will do it this year....hopefully wimby or the US open! YAY linds!