PDA

View Full Version : Well, who is now the n. 1 in your opinion?

alessandrochus
Mar 30th, 2002, 08:04 PM
maybe Serena?

SassyMolassy
Mar 30th, 2002, 08:07 PM
Venus is and always!

then Serena!

The Williamses can beat anyone.

;)

Scotso
Mar 30th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Jennifer is #1.

nikita771
Mar 30th, 2002, 08:45 PM
Even though I would love to see Venus and Serena numbers 1 & 2, Jennifer is the true #1. She may have lost today, but that means nothing. All of them lose at one point or another.

adison-hingis
Mar 30th, 2002, 09:29 PM
This is my ranking ( just my opinion)

1- Serena William ( she did very good in this year ,definitely she has the ability to replace her sister Venus to capture the US Open Grand Slams title in this year if she still keeps playing like this in every tournament )
2- Jennifer Capriati ( despite her lose to Serena in this time , but she could challenge Martina Hingis , Kim Clijster )
3- Martina Hingis ( Except Serena , i think Hingis now can beat Jennifer , Venus or either Monica Seles . Yess of course she can beat Kim Clisjter and Justin Henin )
4-Lindsay Davenport
5- Venus William ( Sorry , but this is her sister's year
6- Monica Seles ( actually she always is the greatest player of all the time ..)
7- Kim Clisjter ( she could beat the rest of player behind her ranking )
8- Justin Henin
9- Mauresmo
10-Jelena Dokic

hillly377
Mar 30th, 2002, 09:34 PM
I don't think it is even questionable, the match between Jennifer and Serena was so close and she is the only one to give her a real battle this days. So Serena might ne number two or whatever but Jennifer rules!

hillly377
Mar 30th, 2002, 09:55 PM
Q. The ratings, who's the No. 1 player this week?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think Jennifer will be No. 1 still. Unfortunately, I'm not up there. I haven't played enough tournaments. So you can't count it for week to week.

earthcrystal
Mar 30th, 2002, 10:02 PM
Kind a silly to me to keep having this same debate, every time a player gets a streak going, but I'll respond.

Who's #1 now? Jennifer. Rankings say so. Not for long, IMHO...but still there now.

Who's hot? Serena.

......... And Monica. ;)

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Mar 30th, 2002, 10:05 PM
Jennifer is #1 in the rankings, therefore, she is the #1 player. :)

GO VENUS AND SERENA! ;)

mirror man
Mar 30th, 2002, 10:21 PM
My current ranking would be;

1) Capriati - consistent and reliable especially in big events.
2) Hingis - playing often and beating some tope players.
3) Serena - top form but can't be considered with the best unless she plays them more often.
4) Seles - in great form but mentally weak. May well move up in the clay season.
5) Venus - unpredictable and sometimes messy, sometimes brilliant.
6) Clijsters - good signs on her return from injury esp. in Miami.
7) Mauresmo - played some excellent tennis this year but msiing many big tournaments - one to watch on clay.
8) Henin - Disappointing so far but still highly ranked.
9) Hantchukova - flashes of brilliance.
10) Dokic - injury has proven problematic but has shown some great form especially when she beat Seles - will be strong on clay if fit.

Impossible to rate Davenport, may find it tough to come back from arthroscopic surgery, I've been there and getting down to the balls and twisting the body weight through the ball isn't easy after surgery.

GoSandrine
Mar 30th, 2002, 10:28 PM
Jennifer

AjdeNate!
Mar 30th, 2002, 10:35 PM
Jen Jen... she's won 3 Slams to Venus' 2 in the last 15 months. So, based on that, she deserves to be it.

Jordan.
Mar 30th, 2002, 10:57 PM
1.Jenn
2.Martina
3.Monica
4.Serena
5.Venus

Kart
Mar 30th, 2002, 11:24 PM
Let me see, so JenCap is at the top of the rankings so I guess she's no.1.

Watching her play today only confirms that to me.

Oh and Serena's pretty good too :p .

venusfan
Mar 30th, 2002, 11:51 PM
1: Capriati - only because she is ranked #1 but think she cant defeat Venus or Serena.

2: Venus - eventhough nasdaq was a stinker.. she is still the best payer in the world right now.

3: Serena - Is clearly better than most players on tour, but gets injured too easily to maintain her position.

4: Lindsay Davenport - She is out but when she comes back will still be better than 98% of the women on tour.

5: Kim Clijsters - Between her and Monica, it was hard to chose but Monica cant beat Hingis, which, Clijsters can so I give Clijster the edge.

6: Martina Hingis - I doubt she will ever get back to #1

7: Monica Seles - That Hingis block is keeping her back

8: Mauresmo - Clay is coming up, but she will fade as usual

9: Hening - Like Dementieva 2nd year, she is stinking up the place

10: Dokic - She is really trying, hopefully she can at least live up to her seed.

TeNnIsFaN
Mar 31st, 2002, 12:02 AM
In my opinion, Jennifer is #1 and totally deserves it at this moment.

TatiAnnahølic
Mar 31st, 2002, 12:37 AM
CAPRIATI :rolleyes:

graf630
Mar 31st, 2002, 12:59 AM
Jennifer

Volcana
Mar 31st, 2002, 01:11 AM
The #1 player is Jennifer Capriati.

If what you're asking is, who's likeliest to win a hard court tournament next week, I'd make the order

1 Serena
2 Venus
3 Jenn
4 Martina
5 Monica
6 Kim (She hasn't got her form back yet.)
7 Amelie
8 Jelena
I'm saving an honorary spot for Lindsay
10 Justine

Of course, we're about to start clay court season. In which case, I'd be more inclined to go

1 Serena
2 Jenn
3 Martina
4 Monica
5 Venus
6 Amelie
7 Kim
8 Jelena
I'm saving an honorary spot for Lindsay
10 Justine

Mark43
Mar 31st, 2002, 01:25 AM
If we are talking YTD

1. Jennifer (a slam and 2 big finals bests EVERYONE, hands down)
2. Hingis (slam runner up and 2 titles)
3. Serena (2 big titles, would be higher if played the AO)
4. Venus (she should be #2 but AO hurt her, otherwise the one to beat)
5. Monica (She just needs a big tourney title, so close!!!)
6. Amelie (consistent)
7. Kim (semis at AO is a big deal)
8. Justine (quarters at AO but needs to pick up game)
9. Daniela (winning a tier 1 puts her here)
10. Testud (she beat Venus afterall)

herodoto
Mar 31st, 2002, 03:22 AM
maybe right now, serena , but the season is just beggining, and the clay could be too hard for the williamses

MaRKy MaRk
Mar 31st, 2002, 03:59 AM
1) Capriati
2) Serena
3) Hingis
4) Venus
5) Monica

joe
Mar 31st, 2002, 04:23 AM
write Venus off at your peril!!!!!!

Dawn Marie
Mar 31st, 2002, 05:38 AM
Ranking wise it's Jennifer.. but player wise it's Serena.. hands down.

Serena is the best player right now on the tour. She has beaten Jennfer 2 times this year, Venus once and Hingis 2 times. Those are tht top 3 ranked players. Serena is beating them.. so imho right NOW SERENA IS THE BEST PLAYER ON THE TOUR.

Pretty soon she'll be ranked #1 as well as kicking the top 3 players asses. She will split matches with ehr older sister though, but continue to beat Hingis. Jennifer, Clijsters and possibly Davenport.

SassyMolassy
Mar 31st, 2002, 06:17 AM
Therefore Jennifer's best is Serena's worst

Give me a break! "Jennifer is ranked #1 in the world so that means Jennifer is number one"

The dumb ranking system rewards quantity over quality!

;)

Zhao
Mar 31st, 2002, 06:59 AM
Jen came really close this time....seriously speaking i m disappointed so does all Jen fans because it was not like she isn't close:sad: :sad:

i think Jennifer this time round will really work on her serve...she has found a way to deal with the William's power game so now is time for her to work on her serve...i mean if Serena can serve up to 118 MPH i dun see why Jennifer with almost the same built can't.... i can see Serena on top of Jennifer's hunting list

i think it will be Jennifer Capriati because she is the only player who can play well on all surfaces....i dun see the Williams giving Jennifer the same kind of problems of clay

this jennifer-serena rivalry reminds me of the graf-seles rivarly in the early 90s..... so interesting n exciting

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:39 AM
The one and only Nancy Loeffler Caro :)

who else but her can turn up and play knowing she is going to lose 6-0 6-0.

that is what is called "guts and bravery"
she doesn't have to do it, but she wants to :)

Go Williams
Mar 31st, 2002, 06:12 PM
Venus is the REAL number 1

Central
Mar 31st, 2002, 06:28 PM
Jennifer is the number 1.
She's the only one able to beat either Venus or Serena, and she's the best of them all on clay. Right now, she's the best.

Go Williams
Mar 31st, 2002, 06:36 PM
Jen cant beat Venus. The head to head is 4-0 in Venus's favour.
Jen had eight match points against Venus last year and still couldent beat her.

Brαm
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by adison-hingis
This is my ranking ( just my opinion)

1- Serena William ( she did very good in this year ,definitely she has the ability to replace her sister Venus to capture the US Open Grand Slams title in this year if she still keeps playing like this in every tournament )
2- Jennifer Capriati ( despite her lose to Serena in this time , but she could challenge Martina Hingis , Kim Clijster )
3- Martina Hingis ( Except Serena , i think Hingis now can beat Jennifer , Venus or either Monica Seles . Yess of course she can beat Kim Clisjter and Justin Henin )
4-Lindsay Davenport
5- Venus William ( Sorry , but this is her sister's year
6- Monica Seles ( actually she always is the greatest player of all the time ..)
7- Kim Clisjter ( she could beat the rest of player behind her ranking )
8- Justin Henin
9- Mauresmo
10-Jelena Dokic

Venus & Serena Williams
Kim C-L-I-J-S-T-E-R-S
Justine Henin

KoOlMaNsEaN
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:47 PM
I think its Capriati!