PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Canada selects Fed Cup squad

spiceboy
Mar 11th, 2005, 10:10 PM
3/11/2005

Toronto (TC) - Tennis Canada announced Thursday the eight players named to the 2005 Fed Cup squad.
Nominated players include veteran Marie-Eve Pelletier of Repentigny, Stephanie Dubois of Laval, Aleksandra Wozniak of Blainville, Melanie Marois of Ste-Foy, Sharon Fichman of Toronto, Ekaterina Shulaeva of Oakville, Melanie Gloria of Montreal and Valerie Tetreault of St-Jean-sur-Richelieu.

Canadas Fed Cup team will begin its quest towards the prestigious World Group next month under the leadership of Captain Rene Simpson and coach Sylvain Bruneau. The duo will be at the helm as Canada competes in the Zonal Group 1 competition the week of April 19th at the Carrasco Lawn Tennis Club, Montevideo, Uruguay.

''We are in a fortunate situation where we have many young and talented players to draw from,'' said Simpson. ''We had great success in 2004 and we will look to build upon that as we move forward. Four players joining the team for the very first time, allows us to build a strong group that will be capable of competing for the next several years.''

Pelletier, 22, has been a member of the Fed Cup squad since 2002, posting an overall record of 11-8. The Repentigny native began the 2005 season on a strong note claiming the $50,000 Waikoloa, Hawaii and reaching a career high No. 122 on the WTA Tour singles rankings.

Dubois, 18, made her Fed Cup debut in April 2004 at the Americas Zone Group 1 qualifying in Brazil. The Laval native has made a successful transition from juniors, winning her second career ITF title in Rockford and reaching the quarterfinals of a $75,000 ITF event in Midland, Michigan. This week, Dubois reached a career high No. 171 in singles.

Wozniak, 17, also made her Fed Cup debut in 2004 at the Americas Zone Group 1 qualifying. She holds a perfect 6-0 in singles matches. Currently the No. 3 junior player in the world, the Blainville resident began her 2005 season with a bang winning a G1 event in Costa Rica and reaching the semifinals of the junior Australian Open in Melbourne.

Marois, who turns 21 today, was also a first-time Fed Cup member in 2004, posting a 3-1 doubles record. The Ste-Foy native, who boasts three career ITF singles titles, has reached the doubles finals of the ITF events in St Paul, Minneapolis and Miami, Florida as well as the doubles quarterfinals of an event in Great Britain so far this season.

Up and coming juniors, Fichman (14 years old), Tetrault (16 years old), Gloria and Shulaeva (17 years old) will be making their first appearance on the Fed Cup squad. They are ranked 3rd through 6th in Canada respectively.

Currently ranked 16th in the world, Canada will face Bolivia, Brazil, Cuba, Mexico, Paraguay, Puerto Rico and Uruguay to determine which two teams will be promoted to the 2004 World Group Play Offs in July.

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 13th, 2005, 03:46 AM
I heard they wiull take only four for the finals....I expect Aleks, Mara, Steph and Mel M to be there....Though i think Val T could make it maybe by playing well in the Asia tourneys....Though it will be played on clay, which isn't her best surface!

Anik
Apr 6th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Canadian Fed Cup team announced
Canadian Press
4/4/2005

TORONTO (CP) - Fed Cup veteran Marie-Eve Pelletier of Repentigny, Que., will lead Canada's young squad at the Americas Zone Group 1 competition later this month in Uruguay.

Pelletier, who at 22 is the oldest member of the team, will be joined by 18-year-old Stephanie Dubois of Laval, Que., 17-year-old Aleksandra Wozniak of Blainville, Que., and 14-year-old Sharon Fichman of Toronto, who will make her Fed Cup debut.

Canada began rebuilding its Fed Cup team last season after the retirement of several veterans, including Jana Nejedly and Vanessa Webb. Pelletier is the lone survivor of the previous era.

''Obviously, the positive thing is that we have a great young team that will play together for many years to come,'' Canada's non-playing captain Rene Simpson said Monday. ''It's great for someone like Sharon to have an opportunity at such a young age to get exposed to Fed Cup. She'll be playing for Canada for many, many years.''

Simpson sees 2005 as mainly a development year for Fichman, meaning she may not see a lot of action on the court. But Simpson hasn't ruled out putting the teen in.

''I've said that before and people have come out of nowhere and showed they deserved to play,'' said Simpson.

Simpson says Puerto Rico and Brazil will be the biggest challenges at the April 19-23 event in Montevideo, which will be played on red clay.

Other countries at the competition include Bolivia, Cuba, Mexico, Paraguay and Uruguay. The eight teams will be drawn into two round-robin pools. The first-place teams in each pool will play off to determine who will be promoted to the 2005 World Group playoffs in July.

While red clay can be a challenging surface, Simpson is confident the Canadians will be able to handle it.

''The girls play a lot of clay-court tournaments throughout the year,'' she said. ''I think they're used to it. We don't see it as a disadvantage too much.''

Canada, ranked 16th in the world, has made it to the World Group playoffs in each of the last three years and will look to earn a spot among the prestigious 16-team World Group for the first time since 1994.

Pelletier has been a member of the Fed Cup team since 2002, posting an overall record of 11-8. Dubois and Wozniak made their Fed Cup debuts last year.

joeytaylor9
Apr 7th, 2005, 03:25 PM
i m happy melanie marois isnt there, shes not really good, never really had any great results

Wiggly
Apr 9th, 2005, 08:54 PM
i m happy melanie marois isnt there, shes not really good, never really had any great results

:rolleyes: She's injured

Trent Reznor
Apr 11th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Good luck to Rene and the team!!!!! Gooooooo Canadaaaaaa!

Captain.Canada
Apr 13th, 2005, 09:41 PM
I'm happy with Team Canada's choices.

Did Drake not want to play or was she not chosen?

~CANUCK~
Apr 14th, 2005, 08:49 PM
I'm happy with Team Canada's choices.

Did Drake not want to play or was she not chosen?

I think mo got in a fight with tennis canada last year. She didn't play fed cup last year either. I like this years team, Alekz is our best clay player. Sharon is good on clay also. And mara and steph are having great years for canadian standards. We should get through this easily.

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 15th, 2005, 03:33 AM
Actually, im not sure if Mara isn't better on clay than Aleks. Anyways, i think both will play the singles match, though Steph beat Aleks on clay last year. Steph will play in doubles, i think joined by sharon most of the time!