PDA

View Full Version : Madrid- One year ago

MS
Mar 11th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Exactly one year ago I was really shocked when I was learning what was happening in Madrid. Those terrorist attacks in the trains that we won't never forget :(. Today is a sad day for Spain commemorating that anniversary. :sad:

F-R-E-A-K
Mar 11th, 2005, 07:52 AM
:hug: :smooch: :tears:

Alvarillo
Mar 11th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Everyday i go to university by train, everyday i have to go to Atocha station, and i imagine what happened that morning.
Spain and Europe were attacked that morning, 192 people died, students, innocent people who were going to work at 7:37 a.m. when the bombs began to explode.
I was terrified, my aunt goes to her work at this time in that train line, but fortunately that morning she had to go 1 hour later.
But the answer of people from Madrid was simply amazing, hundreds of people collapsed the blood donation centres, a lot of people with cars, buses and taxis went to Atocha square to pick the wounded people to hospitals, hospitals where people with non-important injuries left their beds to host the more than 1000 injured by the bombs...
And the day after the bombs ... millions and millions of people in Madrid and the rest of Spain collapsed their cities to say NO to terrorist, to say that WE WILL NEVER FORGET, and that they WON'T CHANGE OUR LIFES.

galadriel
Mar 11th, 2005, 09:26 AM
I think nobody will ever forget this tragedy :sad: :sad:

Alvarillo
Mar 11th, 2005, 09:30 AM
:sad: :rain: :smooch:

propi
Mar 11th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Awful day :sad:

SilK
Mar 11th, 2005, 10:56 AM
My best friend in the world was on a 6 month internship in Spain around that time. I remember her being in Madrid on the day this happened and I was absolutely terrified. I tried calling her all day but couldn't get any contact... It was one of the most frightful days of last year for me. Thankfully she was ok. Just, shocked, really.

My heart goes out to all those who lost family and friends in this horrible event last year!

:hug: :smooch: :sad:

Andy_
Mar 11th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Recuerdo perfectamente aquél día... una pesadilla. Un abrazo a todo Madrid y a toda España :hug:

K.U.C.W-R.V
Mar 11th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Very sad day & very important that people never forget. :sad:

Mattographer
Mar 11th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Never forget that night when I came home from tennis competition and saw it on TV, I was thinking, "Not another terrorist attack". :sad:

spiceboy
Mar 11th, 2005, 06:50 PM
One year ago at Indian Wells...

Terrorist attacks leave Spanish players shaken

INDIAN WELLS, California (Ticker) - The world's top players came to this sleepy desert community for 10 days of tennis, but the headlines have been made off the court.

With qualifying continuing on the men's side and none of the women's seeds in action yet, the main topic the last days has been the clearing of Greg Rusedski on charges of steroid use and tennis' attempted crackdown on banned substances.

"I got news for you, guys are scared to death to drink out of Gatorade," said former champion Andre Agassi, the sixth seed. "I'm scared to take anything. I can't afford at this stage in my career to make mistakes accidentally."
Fear of another kind swept through the Spanish contingent Thursday.

Ten explosions through trains and stations along a commuter line outside Madrid at the height of the morning rush hour, killing nearly 200 and wounding more than 1,400. The blasts came on the eve of Sunday's general elections.

The government initially blamed Basque separatists, although an arcane group with ties to al-Qaida claimed responsibility.

Spanish star Alex Corretja would not comment and compatriot Maria Lorenzo Sanchez said, "I was crying my eyes out the whole morning."

"I think it's crazy, it happens all the time," added 11th seed Conchita Martinez, the 1994 Wimbledon champion.

Martinez first learned of the bombings on the internet while looking for results of Real Madrid's soccer match in the European Cup.

"I called my parents and everybody was OK," said Martinez, who resides in San Diego. "My brother, Roberto, lives in Madrid and he's OK. My sister-in-law, sister and kids live near one of the train stations there."

Martinez recalled a supermarket bombing in her native Barcelona a few years ago that killed more than two dozen.

"It's big, it's a lot of people," she said of Thursday's attacks. "This is almost 200 dead and 1,000 people are already hurt."

Asked about living in uncertain conditions, Martinez replied, "It's unbelievable, but what are you going to do? Do you not go to work? It was just like 9/11 here. If you were living in a

high building, are you going to move? If you happened to be on

the train, you're an unlucky one. But you just have to go on

with your life."

Feliciano Lopez, who resides in Madrid, called the latest attacks unprecedented.

"It's the worst thing you can do in the world," he said. "We can live together in peace, but they don't want to. Everybody is going to be nervous. Now all is not going to be quiet anymore. It could happen next week in Barcelona."

As a result of the tragedy, the Spanish players will wear black ribbons when they take the court at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.

"I practice with Maria and she said we're thinking about doing this and that. I went to the locker room and they had ribbons ready, so we're gonna play with that," Martinez said. "In Spain, when somebody dies, the athletes put on a black armband to show our sadness."

Magui Serna, the 17th seed, has a brother who lives in Madrid. She learned that he and friends were safe, but news of the bombings left her numb.

"I was paralyzed," Serna said. "It was sick, sick, sick. They are not human. It's so hard to watch because there seems to be more wounded every hour."