PDA

View Full Version : Gay guys and their female idol

shap_half
Mar 10th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Is it true that every gay man idolizes a female celebrity?

!<blocparty>!
Mar 10th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Yes :p

Mariah Carey and Catherine Zeta Jones :o

LiliaLee-Frazier
Mar 10th, 2005, 07:25 PM
K Y L I E MINOGUE :kiss: :hearts:

NicoMary
Mar 10th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Yes Anna Kournikova:hearts: , sarah Michelle Gellar:hearts: , britney spears;) ...etc etc...

gay guys know how to appreciate womens without thinking just about sex:rolleyes:

!<blocparty>!
Mar 10th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Yes Anna Kournikova:hearts: , sarah Michelle Gellar:hearts: , britney spears;) ...etc etc...

gay guys know how to appreciate womens without thinking just about sex:rolleyes:

:haha:

LiliaLee-Frazier
Mar 10th, 2005, 07:30 PM

LALALA... It was :hearts: Looove :hearts: at first bite :toothy: ...*chomp* ;)

grmbl
Mar 10th, 2005, 07:31 PM
it's true, but i'm not one of those..

DemWilliamsGulls
Mar 10th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Is it true that every gay man idolizes a female celebrity?

That's a stereotype..I dont idolize a celebrity....

shap_half
Mar 10th, 2005, 07:35 PM
I know that that's a stereotype and I'm not trying to perpetuate it. I just thought it'd be fun for those who do to share. I know that Madonna and Cher are probably the two biggest gay icons. It seems that most gay guys worship them.

LiliaLee-Frazier
Mar 10th, 2005, 07:36 PM
That's a stereotype..I dont idolize a celebrity....

:lol: Gulls ;)

shap_half
Mar 10th, 2005, 07:37 PM
How do you qualify the ones you idolize y'all?

LiliaLee-Frazier
Mar 10th, 2005, 07:38 PM
I know that that's a stereotype and I'm not trying to perpetuate it. I just thought it'd be fun for those who do to share. I know that Madonna and Cher are probably the two biggest gay icons. It seems that most gay guys worship them.
DON'T forget Kylie, Taylor Dayne, Belinda Carlisle, Stacey Q, Paula Abdul, Debbie Gibson, Boy George, Samantha Fux, bananarama girls, JJ FAD lolol ;)

LiliaLee-Frazier
Mar 10th, 2005, 07:40 PM
How do you qualify the ones you idolize y'all?

<g> i thought he idolized the williams..they are celebs arn't they. Especialy the fashion DIVA of the courts Serena :hearts: ;)

shap_half
Mar 10th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Mine are Svetalana Khorkina and Renee Zellweger
I like them a lot because they are both very talented and dress very well.

LiliaLee-Frazier
Mar 10th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Mine are Svetalana Khorkina and Renee Zellweger
I like them a lot because they are both very talented and dress very well.
Renee is very cute :D

alexusjonesfan
Mar 10th, 2005, 08:03 PM
yes, boy george :D

Sam L
Mar 10th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Vivien Leigh and to a lesser extent, Marie-Jose Perec

Libertango
Mar 10th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Mine is Audrey Hepburn :kiss: :worship:

TimBo
Mar 10th, 2005, 09:17 PM
I dont think its that they idolize female celebrities.. but in most cases the female celebrities are simpethetic toward alot of gay causes/rights. Madonna and Cher especially give money toward HIV/AIDS charities. Cher's daughter is a lesbian. Madonna herself had admitted before that she was bi-sexual. I think that gays really appreciate that kind of support.

Bette Midler's career started out in gay clubs/bathhouses. She sang and really got her start in gay clubs. I think alot of the female singers, especially Britney Spears; Christina A; Kylie M; Madonna; Cher, Paula Abdul; Anastasia etc... their music is played in the gay clubs and thus, gays will buy their albums.
Personally, I do like female singers/actresses better because its easier, in my opinion, for female entertainers to be sexual without being way, way over the top. Male singers seem to try to hard to be sexy and it just doesnt work.

I really like pop/dance music so Madonna, Cher, Britney, Christina and Kylie are my favs.

Mase
Mar 10th, 2005, 09:18 PM
I will have to say that I dont have one..

Maybe Im not gay AFTER ALL! :lol::lol:

LiliaLee-Frazier
Mar 10th, 2005, 09:38 PM
I will have to say that I dont have one..

Maybe Im not gay AFTER ALL! :lol::lol:

Yeeeeeaaah riiight ;) You just quoted a CHER song and you didn't even know it .....thats how gay you are :lol: :lol: :p

AjdeNate!
Mar 10th, 2005, 09:43 PM
I'm a non-practicing gay, and I have a lot of idols. Monica Seles firstly, also Madonna, Kylie, the Go-Go's (especially Gina Schock! :hearts: ), and ..... too many to list. ;)

Mase
Mar 10th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Well wait, just thought about last night... I guess I am gay... :haha:

Lemme stopppppp! Im just happy to be back in here, I was blocked for a while here at work so this is awesome!!

shap_half
Mar 10th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Yeeeeeaaah riiight ;) You just quoted a CHER song and you didn't even know it .....thats how gay you are :lol: :lol: :p

:haha: After all

AjdeNate!
Mar 10th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Well wait, just thought about last night... I guess I am gay... :haha:

Lemme stopppppp! Im just happy to be back in here, I was blocked for a while here at work so this is awesome!!
things that go BUMP in the night? :tape: :devil:

Mase
Mar 10th, 2005, 09:50 PM
You know how that goes... :haha:

You just roll over sometimes and then BUMP.... :haha::haha:

whitecamero
Mar 10th, 2005, 09:50 PM
I'm gay and I guess my idol is Toni Collette. Talented, smart, doesn't take herself too seriously, and can always fool you with her looks.

tennisIlove09
Mar 10th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Britney, Christina, Avril, Kelly, Ashlee, Jessica, Celine, Mariah, Jennifer...if you didn't know I was gay, you can tell by the music I like :p

$pencer
Mar 10th, 2005, 10:09 PM
I dont think its that they idolize female celebrities.. but in most cases the female celebrities are simpethetic toward alot of gay causes/rights. Madonna and Cher especially give money toward HIV/AIDS charities. Cher's daughter is a lesbian. Madonna herself had admitted before that she was bi-sexual. I think that gays really appreciate that kind of support.

I don't really have an icon in that repsect......I am a big fan of Amelie but not in a 'gay icon way the way some guys like Madonna and Cher [*That's Madonna who is a Kabbalist, a religion that ain't exactly gay-friendly and Cher, who wasn't exactly popping champagne corks when Chastity came out]
I always think I am weirdly unstereotypical in most ways and then I'll find myself buying ABBA Gold without thinking and it's like "Woah!"

bionic71
Mar 10th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Samantha Fox, ...

and a whole host of blonde, mediocre talents with pop careers of varied success.....I have a soft spot for them.

Gay men often gravitate towards female celebrities who get written off or dismissed in the in the press...
Kylie Minogue is a prime example....for years she was given appauling press..."can't sing", "a production puppet", "a non talent"....her career slumped in the mid to late 90s and she was considered an 80s phenomenum with little to contribute. However, her gay audience maintained a strong following and I would say that during this time her gay appeal gained momentum.. Gay audiences called her a "trooper", she was seen as someone who got through a difficult time and survived....over coming adversity....marching on....this is the attraction for many gay men.

Monica Seles is another perfect example....slagged off in the press for years for the grunting....the stabbing incident...the comebacks..... her fathers death....the injury struggles ...yet still maintaining a personal integrity throughout. Once again this struggle to overcome adversity is the attraction.

shap_half
Mar 10th, 2005, 10:30 PM
bionic that may actually be true when it comes to my admiration for one Svetlana Khorkina.

Pamela Shriver
Mar 10th, 2005, 10:36 PM
I'm an icon!

R&J
Mar 10th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Madonna / Monica Seles ;)

VivalaSeles
Mar 10th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Greta Garbo :)

darren cahill
Mar 10th, 2005, 11:27 PM
I don't really have an icon in that repsect......I am a big fan of Amelie but not in a 'gay icon way the way some guys like Madonna and Cher [*That's Madonna who is a Kabbalist, a religion that ain't exactly gay-friendly and Cher, who wasn't exactly popping champagne corks when Chastity came out]
I always think I am weirdly unstereotypical in most ways and then I'll find myself buying ABBA Gold without thinking and it's like "Woah!"

What does Madonnas being a Kabbalist have to do with anything? If Madonna was a catholic, is that religion any more gay-friendly than the next? What religion is gay friendly exactly? just because you follow a certain religion doesnt mean you are so staunchly by the book that way. I dont believe for one second that Madonna has any issues with gays because she practises Kabbala or however its spelled. and to me, Chers reaction to Chastity was very honest and real, most mothers would react that way. Its easy to be open minded when it doesnt hit home. Cher has explained many times in many interviews that her reaction didnt have to do with 'being gay'...it was about most of all, not being told at all when Chastity had told everyone else around and telling Cher last, and that Cher was worried about what the press would do with this news. she said it was already hard enough being 'chers daughter' let alone being a lesbian too.

$pencer
Mar 10th, 2005, 11:58 PM
What does Madonnas being a Kabbalist have to do with anything? If Madonna was a catholic, is that religion any more gay-friendly than the next? What religion is gay friendly exactly? just because you follow a certain religion doesnt mean you are so staunchly by the book that way. I dont believe for one second that Madonna has any issues with gays because she practises Kabbala or however its spelled. and to me, Chers reaction to Chastity was very honest and real, most mothers would react that way. Its easy to be open minded when it doesnt hit home. Cher has explained many times in many interviews that her reaction didnt have to do with 'being gay'...it was about most of all, not being told at all when Chastity had told everyone else around and telling Cher last, and that Cher was worried about what the press would do with this news. she said it was already hard enough being 'chers daughter' let alone being a lesbian too.
You are totally right about Cher of course - I know my mum wasn't doing cartwheels when I told her. I wasn't being totally serious or getting at Cher. I have no problem with Cher but I just sometimes wonder [and that's all it is] if someone like Cher is so gay-friendly because in all honesty it's the main target group keeping her in a record deal nowadays.
As for Madonna, it's just a personal thing. I saw her on a TV show talking about Kabbalah and how devoted to it she was. What just irked me a little bit when watching it was knowing that one of Kabbalah's main 'testaments' is that being gay is a disease and that gay people need to be 'cured'. She used to be a Catholic and had videos of burning crosses and a black Jesus and happily spoke out about Catholic stance on abortion and gay people but if anything Kabbalah is even more opposed to gay people but all she can say is how great it is.

the jamierbelyea
Mar 11th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Mikalah Gordon ;)

(but really Kristin Chenoweth)

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 11th, 2005, 12:36 AM
I love mikalah also :p

Celine Dion....Venus Williams...Marie-Eve Pelletier....Stephanie Dubois

the jamierbelyea
Mar 11th, 2005, 12:38 AM
I love mikalah also :p

Celine Dion....Venus Williams...Marie-Eve Pelletier....Stephanie Dubois

Mikalah has gay icon written all over her ;)

darren cahill
Mar 11th, 2005, 12:39 AM
You are totally right about Cher of course - I know my mum wasn't doing cartwheels when I told her. I wasn't being totally serious or getting at Cher. I have no problem with Cher but I just sometimes wonder [and that's all it is] if someone like Cher is so gay-friendly because in all honesty it's the main target group keeping her in a record deal nowadays.
As for Madonna, it's just a personal thing. I saw her on a TV show talking about Kabbalah and how devoted to it she was. What just irked me a little bit when watching it was knowing that one of Kabbalah's main 'testaments' is that being gay is a disease and that gay people need to be 'cured'. She used to be a Catholic and had videos of burning crosses and a black Jesus and happily spoke out about Catholic stance on abortion and gay people but if anything Kabbalah is even more opposed to gay people but all she can say is how great it is.

I'm glad you didnt take my post as an attack cause it wasnt meant to be and i understand what you are saying as well. I just dont think anyone should worry about what Madonna feels towards gay people cause i dont think its an issue or anything people should waste their time on. Madonna aint stupid and she knows her audience is largely gay, her brother is gay, most likely a ton of her friends are gay and if she ever goes on tour again, all her dancers are probably gay, so unless she plans on totally wiping her slate clean of all these people, i dont think anyone has anything to worry about. i still think you can be devoted to a religion and not follow every word as law. she may be devoted more than most people involved in it, but i'm not quite ready to burn her at the stake for following what she believes in. i've never been that way anyhow, i dont need someone like Madonna to validate who i am. i could still love her even if she suddenly thought gay wasnt cool with her. big whoop.

i do think Cher loves her gay following and its not just a fad thing with her, even when she DIDNT have a record deal in the early late 70's, early 80's, she knew she still had that gay following she could depend on. its not a surface thing with her. now of course she didnt tell me this herself, i'm not THAT lucky! LOL....but i dont think shes a phony about it. Cher is pretty blunt and if found her gay fans a waste of her time, she'd probably say so. A friend of mine who lives in Australia just saw her in Sydney and said after her opening song that Sydney was the gayest city she ever played and LOVED IT! then said when she retires, shes going where all gay icons go when they retire...Madonnas house! i thought that was pretty classic.

on a seperate note, i do think gay fans are more forgiving of their 'idols' (i truly do hate that word but for a lack of a better one...)faults and mis-steps i think because they (we) know what its like to have things that people consider 'faults' and/or things wrong with us. DOnna Summer is also huge among the gay crowd and at one time in the 70's was on this crusade against gays which i think she denies or tries to ignore now but it is true and the gay crowd still supports her now and she doesnt talk the smack she used to. i think shes a born again christian which may have led to some of the stuff she said. it was a long time ago and i cant recall what she did or said exactly but my point being, we'll take some hits but we forgive easier than say country fans who will never let the dixie chicks walk free for a goofy comment.

Justin
Mar 11th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Mariah and Monica!

$pencer
Mar 11th, 2005, 01:32 AM
she may be devoted more than most people involved in it, but i'm not quite ready to burn her at the stake for following what she believes in.
Yeah I understand that. I think my problem is definitely more with Kabbalah then Madonna [Kabbalah's thoughts on gay people are hateful to say the least]. It was just seeing her advocate it *that* loudly got me wondering. Would be cool if she came out and dismissed that 'rule' the way she did about some Catholic things, but it's not her responsibility I guess. Would be cool though.....

on a seperate note, i do think gay fans are more forgiving of their 'idols' (i truly do hate that word but for a lack of a better one...)faults and mis-steps i think because they (we) know what its like to have things that people consider 'faults' and/or things wrong with us. DOnna Summer is also huge among the gay crowd and at one time in the 70's was on this crusade against gays which i think she denies or tries to ignore now but it is true and the gay crowd still supports her now and she doesnt talk the smack she used to. i think shes a born again christian which may have led to some of the stuff she said. it was a long time ago and i cant recall what she did or said exactly but my point being, we'll take some hits but we forgive easier than say country fans who will never let the dixie chicks walk free for a goofy comment.I agree with this. While I might not like Cher's music or think she is an 'idol' the way some guys do, the respect for her as a survivor is there. That's such a cliché reason for a gay guy to admire her, but I doubt a straight guy would admire her for that reason.

darren cahill
Mar 11th, 2005, 01:41 AM
well you nailed it right there about Cher, she herself has said that thats what she thinks attracts many of her fans to her, that she survives against all the odds against her. And everytime you count her out or think shes over, she is back again. I'm not sure why so many gay people are attracted to that, but i find myself feeling that way as well. i mean i certainly cant relate to that, i've never been 'counted out' or felt like my career was over and had to reclaim some level of success, but yet i feel somewhat responsible when she does have these huge comebacks cause i feel like her gay crowd sticks by her through it all and when there are these huge waves of success, we can pat ourselves on the back too for not abandoning her just like she hasnt ditched us. it sound goofy i know but thats my take. maybe its more of an 'outsider' thing. cause Cher certainly isnt the best singer around, or the best actress or the best looking, yet she hangs tough. makes us other outsiders feel we can do it all too. I just love that quote that Cher mentions a lot...she read a commentary once about god knows what that said 'after the nuclear holocaust, there will be cockroaches and Cher"

Rock on CHER!:worship:

LiliaLee-Frazier
Mar 11th, 2005, 01:44 AM
I'm a non-practicing gay, and I have a lot of idols. Monica Seles firstly, also Madonna, Kylie, the Go-Go's (especially Gina Schock! :hearts: ), and ..... too many to list. ;)

NOOOO JANE WEIDLIN IS THE BEST GOG0!!!!!!!!! :worship: :worship: :bounce:

shap_half
Mar 11th, 2005, 01:52 AM
Mikalah has gay icon written all over her ;)

:haha: totally true. Give this girl 10 years and she keeps this up (you know with the dramatics) the gays (most of them anyway) will keep her up!

LiliaLee-Frazier
Mar 11th, 2005, 02:03 AM
M A R T I K A

LIKE TOY SOLDIERS, I FEEL THE EARTH MOVE (i feel esquimax tumblin down) LOVE, THY WILL BE DONE, in MARTIKAS KITCHEN and my all time fave i love you MORE THAN YOU KNOOOOOW!
Yes.... i just bought her Greatest Hits ;) :p

AjdeNate!
Mar 11th, 2005, 02:23 AM
NOOOO JANE WEIDLIN IS THE BEST GOG0!!!!!!!!! :worship: :worship: :bounce:
Maybe?... but Gina has my sweatshirt and I have her drumsticks. What has Jane ever given me? - Nothing. :p

Cher
Mar 11th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Daren Darling, I won an oscar, Theres only a handful who can act and sing and entertain as successfully As I have had, U will find that there is only a few who can collobrate a great and well known acting and singing career (Unlike Madonna who couldn't act her way out of a paperbag)

What makes me such a Gay Idol is my re inventing, From 60's Blackfoot to the Priceless Peice of Plastic I was in the 90's to my stunning lavishly camp and over the top farewell tour I give, Hello Ladies, Gentleman.....Flamboyant Gentleman..welcome to the Cherish Show On Earth!!!

Not many people can have a successful acting and Singing career simeltaneously, Im probably one of the best to Pull it of!! oh and I know myself I aint the best singer, I don't care my hollow manly voices keeps the Queens Out there in Business! So Shoop to my song and LETS TURN BACK TIME!!

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/08/31/cher,0.jpg
http://www.divastation.com/cher/cher_biopix/cher_playgirls.gif
http://www.stargalleries.com/star%20families/cher%20bono%20with%20chastity.jpg
http://www.freestylephotography.com/entertainment/images/cher.jpg
http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2002/Dec-10-Tue-2002/photos/cher.jpg
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/gallery/2001/11/05/cher.jpg
http://musicmoz.org/img/editors/sounddude/cher.jpg
http://www.auntjudysattic.com/celibrity%20perfumes/cher-picture.jpg

darren cahill
Mar 11th, 2005, 03:10 AM
Cher my dear, dont waste your breath cause you are preaching to the choir! :worship: I was just stating what Cher herself has said, that she knows shes not the best actress or the best singer and that she doesnt fit into any single category very well, but she gives it her best. I personally love everything about Cher so i wasnt throwing shade at all. I did my best to give her props all through this thread. you wont find a bigger fan on this board than myself (and you of course)'

so you rock on, you gypsy, tramp and theif!

Cher
Mar 11th, 2005, 03:21 AM
Not Very Well?? darling U dont get grammies, and emmys and oscars for not doing very well, SHOOP

darren cahill
Mar 11th, 2005, 03:24 AM
ok, whatever....totally missing my point:awww:

gots to scoot, spanish mans awaits!:p

Cher
Mar 11th, 2005, 03:25 AM
BTW, r u a flamboyant man?? I love u if ure are, the more cher impersonaters THE BETTER

Richie77
Mar 11th, 2005, 04:17 AM
I don't like the term "idolize," I'd rather say there are female stars I admire.

First and foremost being Stevie Nicks :D

alexusjonesfan
Mar 11th, 2005, 04:50 AM
I always thought gay men admired the women whom we could easily replicate in drag :scratch:

Cher
Mar 11th, 2005, 04:55 AM
Like Me

Oh and That Hoe Barbra Streisand, Nothing but a sultry Bitch, She maybe a Jewish Demorcrat, but she really needs to shit her mouth, she makes a fool of herself everywhere, just look at the Oscars This year, silly cow, get back to Your Fockers

jimbo mack
Mar 11th, 2005, 10:29 AM
i'm gay and i dont particularly idolize anyone

however i do love victoria beckham, sophie ellis-bextor, steffi graf and the girls from steps so yeah i guess that does make me pretty gay lol

SilK
Mar 11th, 2005, 03:26 PM
I wanna say NO, but I can't...

ALICIA KEYS :worship:
Anna Kournikova :yeah:
Angelina Jolie :drool:

I like the A-list Girls :p

TimBo
Mar 11th, 2005, 03:28 PM
I know that Madonna very religious now... but have any of you ever seen "TRUTH or DARE"
I mean, come on.. she was in bed with men, woman whatever. She was very free sexually at that time. She and Sandra Bernhart were rumored to have a relationship and neither of them will ever comment on it today.
And we must remember that Cher's son is bi as well, or at least I had read that.

We cant forget bout Liza Minneli and Judy Garland. They are HUGE gay icons

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 11th, 2005, 04:17 PM
I forgot Britney and Annie Villeneuve to my list ;)

BigB08822
Mar 11th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Kelly Clarkson for me!

LiliaLee-Frazier
Mar 11th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Maybe?... but Gina has my sweatshirt and I have her drumsticks. What has Jane ever given me? - Nothing. :p

That may be...but what has Jane given me :hehehe:

lilly
Mar 11th, 2005, 06:21 PM
If you read the Björk forum, she seems to have about 90% gay or bisexual fans. I guess her dress-sense might have to do with that :devil:.