PDA

View Full Version : Who will be in our Fed Cup Team ???

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 29th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Playing Germany away on clay in 4 weeks time.

Lina and Nadya are out injured.
Anna I don't think will be persuaded to play ( her Fed Cup record is 2-6 anyway, losing last 5).

that leaves these 3 as certainties (hope no one else gets injured now
Elena Dementieva as #1
Anastasia Myskina #2
Elena Likhovtseva (doubles)

** I still think they will refuse to pick Tatiana Panova for some reason or another.

** Elena Bovina is out of form :mad: bad time (she's got Estoril/Budapest to find some)

** maybe its time to pick Svetlana Kuznetsova for the reserve.

fresh2flash
Mar 29th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Seems to be the only choice. The question is who to be the substitute player? I think they should invite to the team one of the junior players - Vera Zvonareva or Sveta Kuznetzova.

BTW, anybody of the Russian Roulette going to Dresden for that match? I want to go if I can spare time.

fresh2flash
Mar 29th, 2002, 08:03 AM
These stupid injuries make the Russian team future not so sure. Last year we had 5 girls who definetely could be included in the team to play singles - Elena Dementieva, Nadya, Lina, Nastya and Elena Bovina. Of course nobody of them could really withstand the power of the US team but against any other they could do well. This year the situation is totally different. Lina and Nadya are out with injuries, and Bovina is clearly out of form. So it leaves just two quality players - Alyona and Nastya. And what will happen if any of them get injured? In that case our chances even with such a middle-classed team as a German one will be next to zero. What a curse! Why these injuries alwais happen to all our girls at once.

Nina_rus
Mar 29th, 2002, 08:04 AM
I don't think they will pick Panova either, that's really sad as she plays so well at the Fed Cup :sad:
I can see them inviting Kuznetzova but not Zvonareva.

fresh2flash
Mar 29th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Nina_rus
I can see them inviting Kuznetzova but not Zvonareva.

Why not? She`s the Russian champ two years in a row. They will make that tournament more prestigious by picking a winner to the Fed Cup team.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 29th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Vera is now based in Washington and I think she will be playing the $75K Challenger in Dothan (week Apr 22) (entries are Monday)

Sveta should be able to come from Barcelona, shorter journey.

Sveta is also better on clay than Vera.

saki
Mar 29th, 2002, 11:37 AM
What about a Likhovtseva/Kounikova doubles team, with Anna being the reserve singles player as well?

Or do you think Anna just will not play?

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 29th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Anna won't simply turn up to be "reserve"

Either she will want to play singles guaranteed or she won't play.

fresh2flash
Mar 29th, 2002, 11:52 AM
They may invite. Schamil Tarpishev is very fond of her, but IMO it`s not a wise decision. Alyona and Nastya do not like very much, and each of them is more important for the team than Anna. What`s more, Anna will never accept the substitute role.

P.S. Eggy, we both gave the same reason, heh :)

ys
Mar 29th, 2002, 01:50 PM
I though that Nastya and Anna are friends, and often practice together.

saki
Mar 29th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Pity, she's such a good doubles player.

Is there any chance they'd pick her over Anastasia?

ys
Mar 29th, 2002, 02:49 PM
As to who they choose.. Nastya and Alyona are locks to be selected. Elena L. will surely be selected too. They'll have to pick Panova. She is Russian #2 and world #25..

the cat
Mar 29th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Assuming Anna K. doesn't play, the team should consist of Elena Dementieva, Anastassia Myskina, Maria Sharapova and Elena Likhovtseva for doubles. But if Anna is chosen, then she should replace Likovtseva.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 29th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Sharky i doubt very much will be in team.

She doesn't have much/any experience of playing on the red stuff.

Anna will only turn up if she is guaranteed a singles place.

Elena Likhovtseva will play doubles for sure.

Tatiana Panova on clay can be a nightmare ;) esp as the germns don't have any big guns

tenn_ace
Mar 29th, 2002, 05:25 PM
3 are locked.

Forget about Anna.

The question is Panova or a junior? Alhtough I favor more our juniors than Tatiana, I think it's only fair if they invite her. Another way of sloving this issue is to invite both Tatiana and Svetlana and see who is better, before deciding the final 4.

fresh2flash
Mar 29th, 2002, 06:07 PM
I don`t think Tatiana will accept the invitation either. She is needed just because Lina and Nastya, who actually have lower rank, are injured. As soon as they are fit they will replace Tatiana. She understands that too well and definetely won`t play the role of a rescue ranger, who is dismissed right after the need did pass.

tenn_ace
Mar 29th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by fresh2flash
I don`t think Tatiana will accept the invitation either. She is needed just because Lina and Nastya, who actually have lower rank, are injured. As soon as they are fit they will replace Tatiana. She understands that too well and definetely won`t play the role of a rescue ranger, who is dismissed right after the need did pass.

if she does, then it's her choice. Tarpischev will have nothing to blame himself for... at least, directly.:o

fresh2flash
Mar 29th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Yes, the choice to be thrown away from the team or not is definetely hers. And everybody know what she will chose.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 29th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Tatiana has been snubbed enough times, not sure she will accept assuming they ask in first place.

that leaves either Sveta or Vera ???

ys
Mar 29th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Whether Panova accepts invitation on not, it is difficult to say.Basically, we don't know what exactly happened in Stanford in 1999, when Panova was replaced by Dementieva at the last possible minute and was told to say she is sick. Was it more or less peaceful or was it a scandal? Panova seemed to become friendly with Anna since.. Is she still friendly with the rest of Russians?

Nina_rus
Mar 29th, 2002, 08:34 PM
I'm not sure is she's friends with the Russian girls but as far as I know it wasn't her choice not to play at the finals and she was ready and willing to. I don't think there was a scandal because Panova is not that kind of player who will protest and argue but she was definetely upset

the cat
Mar 30th, 2002, 07:23 PM
I was wondering if someone(Eggy) would pick up on me including the Russian Lynx(Maria Sharapova) on the Russian Fed Cup team. And Eggy did! Nothing slips by TBE.

The fourth player should be a junior. Zvonareva, Kuznetsova or Sharapova. Why not Maria? She's already better than Vera and Svetlana, who have done very little this year. While Maria is on a role. Udachi team Russia!

Blessings And Aloha
Mar 30th, 2002, 09:07 PM
Maria currently is not better than Vera or Svetla. Svetlana should be chosen because clay is her best surface.

fresh2flash
Mar 31st, 2002, 08:07 AM
It doesn`t matter how good is either of them. Vera, Sveta or Masha won`t play until all is decided.

Cassius
Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:19 AM
HMMMMMMMMMMM...............................
I'm glad THATS all cleared up then. ;) :rolleyes:

ys
Apr 5th, 2002, 07:09 PM
It is going to be difficult for selectors to ignore Panova now. She is up to #23 and can crack Top 20 pretty soon. So, it starts to be obvious that the team should be Dementieva, Myskina, Panova, Likhovtseva.

fresh2flash
Apr 12th, 2002, 09:06 AM
I contacted Schamil Tarpischev and he said that they plan to include in the team Dementieva, Myskina, Likhovtzeva and Bovina. Dementieva and Myskina are to play singles. On Monday they are going to send an official list.

tenn_ace
Apr 12th, 2002, 10:41 AM
fresh, you are priceless...

thanks a lot for info.

Well, I guess, Tarpichev suprised all of us.

No Anna (hardly a surprise), no Tathiana (same here), no teens... I hope Elena B. will get boost after playing in FedCup. Let's face it: she wasn't #1 choice as a single player, but #2 as a doubles one...

tenn_ace
Apr 12th, 2002, 10:42 AM
The question remains: will it be enough time for Elena and Anastasia to come back from the States, get over the jet lag and get practice on a red clay?

fresh2flash
Apr 12th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Ace, despite what Tarpische said it`s not 100 % certain. He may surprise us on Monday as well :)

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 13th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Bovina is getting back to form and the Germans picked the surface which is her favorite as well.

if things come to the crunch in doubles (hoping not) Elena D could still figure in that.

Now we just need Elena L to win some more singles as that gives another option.

the cat
Apr 13th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Likhovtseva and Bovina? You cannot be serious. Why can't he pick a couple of girls who deserve it?

Nina_rus
Apr 13th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Why doesn't Likhovtseva deserve it?

fresh2flash
Apr 13th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Cat, I guess Likhovtzeva is the best Russia`s double player ever. So she fully deserves the place in the team.

ys
Apr 18th, 2002, 01:29 AM
The question is whether Elena is in or out. I have a feeling, that
if Elena is out, they'll pick Anna.

the cat
Apr 18th, 2002, 01:52 AM
ys, that's good news. But do you mean Anna K. or Anna B? Wink wink. Man, I'm frisky tonight! This horrible heat isn't even bothering me too much.

Fresh, Likhovtseva is Russia's best ever doubles player? Better than Kournikova? Nyet!

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 18th, 2002, 03:06 AM
cat ..... doubles is a team game, so is the FED CUP ,
Anna is better than Elena but she would want someone to play with her.

I'm pretty sure Anna will still not get picked, other girls will have some reservations.

fresh2flash
Apr 18th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Now it`s officially. As predicted. The team is: Dementieva, Myskina, Likhovtzeva, Bovina.

I`ll try to find out what`s the case with Dementieva. Hope she can play.

tenn_ace
Apr 18th, 2002, 11:34 AM
[i]I`ll try to find out what`s the case with Dementieva. Hope she can play. [/B]

please f2f...:bounce:

fresh2flash
Apr 19th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Great!!! Alyona withdrew from the match vs Craybass as a precaution. She will 99% play in the Fed Cup. Go Team Russia!!!

Irish
Apr 24th, 2002, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by TheBoiledEgg
Vera is now based in Washington and I think she will be playing the $75K Challenger in Dothan (week Apr 22) (entries are Monday)

Sveta should be able to come from Barcelona, shorter journey.

Sveta is also better on clay than Vera.
Dothan, Alabama? I live about two hours from there. Unfortunately, if it is, we won't get newspaper coverage. Mostly high school sports. :sad:

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 24th, 2002, 03:35 AM
Sveta was to play there but she didnt play :sad:
so u didn't miss out.

ys
Apr 24th, 2002, 04:01 AM
I wonder who is also in a team as a reserve and practice partner ( like Pierce in French team ).. Kuznetsova? Safina?

Irish
Apr 24th, 2002, 04:03 AM
Thank you Eggy.:)

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 24th, 2002, 09:37 AM
i wonder as well

Dinara was due to play 25K Taranto and isn't there
Sveta was due to play 75K Dothan and she isn't playing either.

so waiting for some concrete news.

the cat
Apr 24th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Eggy, which Vera is based in Washington? Vera Z. or Vera D.? And which Washington? Washington, D.C. or the state of Washington?

Why whould she choose Washington over Florida or California to train in?

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 24th, 2002, 02:54 PM
I'm not sure but i'm guessing its DC, probably due to some backing she got.

its Vera Zvonareva.