PDA

View Full Version : Computer/Video Card help...

Darop.
Mar 8th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Ok, I downloaded the Topspin demo for PC (:banana: ) and when i start it up it says my video card doesnt have a good enough driver :confused: So i did the automatic driver update thingy, restarted my computer, and it gave me the same error.

Also, I'm thinking of buying a PC game, yet I don't know if my computer has the requirements... How do I figure that out? How do I know how powerful my video card is?

Rohin.
Mar 8th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Go to display properties and tell me what video card you have ?

Darop.
Mar 8th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Intel (R) graphics controller...

But I remember once someone saying that I had 2 videocards, and that i could activate one and de activate the other.... is that possible?

Darop.
Mar 8th, 2005, 10:05 AM
also, when I go to My computer, then settings, and open the icon called Intel Extreme Graphics Controller it allows me to select "combinations"some of which are:

1024x768 16.800.000 (75 hz)
1024x768 16.800.000 (70 hz)

wtf is that? :o

Eidt: And I just found out now it allows me to pick which driver to use out of a HUGE list...

Rohin.
Mar 8th, 2005, 10:11 AM
You must have both onboard Graphics (on the motherboard) and a video card in your AGP slot.

You havn't given me much detail there but i'll assume that the one you're useing atm is onboard as it's intell, basicly all onboard graphics suck!

If you want to play todays games you're going to have to get a better video card end of story.

Ohh and to see what a game's requirments are just look on the box, they all have a min and recomended requirments lable, what ever the min is you can be sure you will need to double it if you actually want the game to run properly.

Rohin.
Mar 8th, 2005, 10:16 AM
also, when I go to My computer, then settings, and open the icon called Intel Extreme Graphics Controller it allows me to select "combinations"some of which are:

1024x768 16.800.000 (75 hz)
1024x768 16.800.000 (70 hz)

wtf is that? :o

Eidt: And I just found out now it allows me to pick which driver to use out of a HUGE list...

Yeah you have a crappy video card then...

The 70-75hz is the refresh rate, ie how fast the screen flickers, the faster the better and also less stressfull on your eyes.

don't go selecting a driver out of that list because most of them probably won't work and will just crash your computer. I think you should see someone for advice.

SM
Mar 8th, 2005, 10:43 AM
updating the drivers wont help.

your card most likely does not support pixel and vertex shaders (a hardware feature generally only supported in cards built around direct x 9 ie recent cards!!!). this is the problem for most people with topspin

make sure if u get a new card it is direct x 9, because the problems u r facing are most likely hardware problems and u cant fix them just by updating drivers.

Darop.
Mar 8th, 2005, 11:39 AM
You must have both onboard Graphics (on the motherboard) and a video card in your AGP slot.

You havn't given me much detail there but i'll assume that the one you're useing atm is onboard as it's intell, basicly all onboard graphics suck!

If you want to play todays games you're going to have to get a better video card end of story.

Ohh and to see what a game's requirments are just look on the box, they all have a min and recomended requirments lable, what ever the min is you can be sure you will need to double it if you actually want the game to run properly.

Ugh, actually last year I tried to change video card, but the guy at the computer place told me that the type of slot my computer has for video cards isn't compatible with most video cards, i dont remember what it was called...

Some 3 letter thing, I think...

Ugh, what can I do? do you know where i could buy a video card online?

cynicole
Mar 8th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Ugh, actually last year I tried to change video card, but the guy at the computer place told me that the type of slot my computer has for video cards isn't compatible with most video cards, i dont remember what it was called...

Some 3 letter thing, I think...

Ugh, what can I do? do you know where i could buy a video card online?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know there are graphics cards for...
PCI slots
AGP slots
and PCI-Express slots.

There are different kinds of AGP slots like 2x/4x/8x. I think most of the decent affordable cards out there are made for 8x with backward capabilities for 4x. If I just had a AGP 2x slot I'd just buy another computer because if your board and all is that old your processor probably wouldn't be fast enough and you probably can't hold that much memory without everything being so slow.

Last year I got a Generic Radeon 9200 either from TigerDirect.com for around 40USD + shipping After Rebate. I also tried looking at ZipZoomFly.com and...hmm...can't remember the name of the other one. Don't know what part of the world you're in though.

Darop.
Mar 8th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know there are graphics cards for...
PCI slots
AGP slots
and PCI-Express slots.

There are different kinds of AGP slots like 2x/4x/8x. I think most of the decent affordable cards out there are made for 8x with backward capabilities for 4x. If I just had a AGP 2x slot I'd just buy another computer because if your board and all is that old your processor probably wouldn't be fast enough and you probably can't hold that much memory without everything being so slow.

Last year I got a Generic Radeon 9200 either from TigerDirect.com for around 40USD + shipping After Rebate. I also tried looking at ZipZoomFly.com and...hmm...can't remember the name of the other one. Don't know what part of the world you're in though.

Yep, my computer has an AGP slot...:sad:

cynicole
Mar 8th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Yep, my computer has an AGP slot...:sad:

Sounds like you have an AGP 1x/2x slot...or the computer store guy was completely incompetent.

cynicole
Mar 8th, 2005, 12:11 PM
10USD AGP 4x/2x card.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=994992&CatId=318

Still doesn't mean you could run the game though.

dementieva's fan
Mar 8th, 2005, 02:24 PM
From where did you download the demo? I too would like to download and see if it works on my computor.

_LuCaS_
Mar 8th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Sounds like you have an AGP 1x/2x slot...or the computer store guy was completely incompetent.
Did he suggested another PC from their store? :lol:
You obviously have an onboard graphics adapter. It sucks. Drivers won't help.
Try buying a Nvidia GeForce 4 or better, or a Radeon 9200 or better. Should not be too expensive and Topspin will run fine.

_LuCaS_
Mar 8th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Oh and always ensure you have the latest drivers for your adapter (free download on their websites)

Darop.
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Did he suggested another PC from their store? :lol:
You obviously have an onboard graphics adapter. It sucks. Drivers won't help.
Try buying a Nvidia GeForce 4 or better, or a Radeon 9200 or better. Should not be too expensive and Topspin will run fine.

Yeh, last year I asked the computet guy to install a geforce 4 into my comp, but he said my comp didnt have the right slot for it...

SM
Mar 9th, 2005, 10:51 AM
a geforce 4 will not run topspin as it doesnt have the hardware features based around dirext x 9 (vertex and pixel shaders).

if u want a cheap card that will run it get the geforce "FX" series = supports the latest direct x. the 5200 fx are very cheap