PDA

View Full Version : More Hingis comeback rumours

JonBcn
Mar 8th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Sorry if it's already been posted, couldn't see it anywhere and thought it might interest some of you. From Bob Larson's Daily Tennis News (usually pretty reliable):

We Hear—

--that Martina Hingis is working out at the Saddlebrook Resort as she prepares to make a comeback in tennis. She won’t be making an announcement about her plans for a while.

whitecamero
Mar 8th, 2005, 07:16 AM
How old is she now? The field has gotten so deep. I think that it will be very hard for her. But good on her that she has a dream and she is at least doing something about it. It will be interesting to see. I just think that as she gets older, it going to be harder. But anything can happen, I suppose.

Lemonskin.
Mar 8th, 2005, 07:18 AM
The way I see it, even if she DOES make a return, who's to say she could be sucessful? She was overpowered by anoyone who could hit the ball hard before, and they ALL hit hard now. Hell, Marlene Weingartner overpowered her. I think it's better for her to stay retired and sucessful, rather than risk a laughable comeback.

!!!--Duiz™--!!!
Mar 8th, 2005, 07:18 AM
The way I see it, even if she DOES make a return, who's to say she could be sucessful? She was overpowered by anoyone who could hit the ball hard before, and they ALL hit hard now. Hell, Marlene Weingartner overpowered her. I think it's better for her to stay retired and sucessful, rather than risk a laughable comeback.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

whitecamero
Mar 8th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Levo., I agree with you. But I do think it's commendable when someone has a dream and take action on fulfilling it.

I agree that it is better to go down in the history books as a young champion with 5 Grand Slams than as the has-been with failed comeback attempts. Not to say that that will happen, but if she is not successful, then that may be how she is remembered. But I guess that's a choice she has to make. And I guess she only needs to please herself. So what about what others think, huh?

JonBcn
Mar 8th, 2005, 07:21 AM
It depends. Maybe her priorities have changed, as well as the goalposts. Perhaps she's happy to come back and play Tier IIIs, simply because she loves the game...or doubles. I feel a bit sorry for her (although I cant say I ever liked her) because even if she gets to the Top 20, people will still be bemoaning that she "can't win slams" and should have stayed in bed. Which is ridiculous. How many of us are amongst the top 500 in the world at what we do? She should just enjoy herself and see what happens.

TatiAnnahølic
Mar 8th, 2005, 07:26 AM
would be great if she and Anna played doubles again... :sobbing: I miss them!

F-R-E-A-K
Mar 8th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Does Anna still know how to play tennis?! :)

Jeff
Mar 8th, 2005, 07:30 AM
What if Hingis did come back, and not only came back, but won a slam? How cool would that be :p Not saying it'll happen, but wouldn't that be somethin'? :D

jimbo mack
Mar 8th, 2005, 08:29 AM
how old is this source?

Cher
Mar 8th, 2005, 08:33 AM

She won the first set
Look at her 2 other head to heads against Marlene
Her first Competitive Match for over 2 years
Do you really think she was going to come back exactly where she left of in 2002?

And at the end of the day, A return isn't contemplated by what people are going to think, they return because they can and want to compete at a professional level, I wouldn't suspect Hingis would care on what people thought at her attempt, just like Navratilova, now compare her Doubles and Singles record (very little) before 1994, shes having the time of her life.

JonBcn
Mar 8th, 2005, 08:33 AM
how old is this source?

It's from yesterday's newsletter.

Darop.
Mar 8th, 2005, 08:59 AM
i highly doubt she'll make a succesful return, but good luck to her :D

Libertango
Mar 8th, 2005, 09:06 AM
I hope she does return, and if gave her a bit of time to get back into things, bet she would do well :) But whatever she decides, hope she is happy. :)

jrm
Mar 8th, 2005, 09:44 AM
She said she DOESN'T INTEND TO COME BACK ... after losing to Weingartner but maybe playing some charity matches, that's all!

Yasmine
Mar 8th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Perhaps she's happy to come back and play Tier IIIs, simply because she loves the game...or doubles. I feel a bit sorry for her (although I cant say I ever liked her) because even if she gets to the Top 20, people will still be bemoaning that she "can't win slams" and should have stayed in bed. Which is ridiculous. How many of us are amongst the top 500 in the world at what we do? She should just enjoy herself and see what happens.
I agree with that :angel: . If she wants to copme back to have fun and enjoy playing tennis then good for her that's how it should be for every player. :cool:

meofcourse
Mar 8th, 2005, 10:34 AM
I think if she would make a comeback, she should spent a lot of time in the fitness room, like Justine Henin. Than she has a chance

switz
Mar 8th, 2005, 10:38 AM
judging her chances of coming back based on the weingartner match is ridiculous. she hasn't played on tour for 2 years and led 6-1, 2-0 or something before her fitness just became a major factor.

it is just stupid to think that someone like sugiyama (who is very good player but basically a lower class of hingis) could be top ten just last year and that hingis couldn't be.

she was clearly hampered by her injuries in her last months on tour.

the username might suggest otherwise but i'm not some obsessed martian person who can't see through my own bias.

Andy T
Mar 8th, 2005, 11:42 AM
if she does decide to get serious about playing again and is smart in preparing her return, I think she would stand a chance of making it back to the top 20 after a year, maybe higher.

macbaq
Mar 8th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Hingis is Hingis. she's a great champion no matter what you all people say

hablo
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Hingis is Hingis. she's a great champion no matter what you all people say

:yeah:

jj74
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Martina has the talent to do a succesful comeback, and yes she has the weapons to fight against power players, her problems were always her mind. Her first victories were so easy that she has a lot of problems when she had to fight to win

griffin
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:47 PM

A lot of people laughed at the the idea of Jen's coming back - Hingis herself expressed doubt that Jen would make it back. It took her awhile and a couple of tries, but after winning a couple of slams, I'd say she proved it is possible to come back even after a long time out of the picture.

My gut may say Hingis won't, but my brain knows better than to think Hingis CAN'T come back and make an impact if she wants to do so, and is willing to put in the work to do it.

That said, most of these rumors seem to me more like the product of wishful thinking than anything else. People should stop tormenting her fans unless they have something concrete.

LiliaLee-Frazier
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:50 PM
A lot of people laughed at the the idea of Jen's coming back - Hingis herself expressed doubt that Jen would make it back. It took her awhile and a couple of tries, but after winning a couple of slams, I'd say she proved it is possible to come back even after a long time out of the picture.

My gut may say Hingis won't, but my brain knows better than to think Hingis CAN'T come back and make an impact if she wants to do so, and is willing to put in the work to do it.

That said, most of these rumors seem to me more like the product of wishful thinking than anything else. People should stop tormenting her fans unless they have something concrete.
True...but jen did not completly STOP PLAYING for 3 years like hingis ..but i guess it is possible.

TonyP
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:52 PM
People tend to forget that all of her victories were not easy. She lost the first set to Novotna the year she won Wimbledon. She lost a set to Davenport the year of her big victory at Zurich.

And of course, she was down 1-4 in the third set to Serena in 2001 at the AO, battling back to win the match 8-6 in the third. (That was a match in which Serena claimed one of her mysterious tummy aches after it was all over.)

Anyway, I have very strong doubts about this latest rumor, since I would think Martina, who has been on the road a lot lately, would be training at home at her Mom's academy in Switzerland, if she were training at all.

Frankly, I don't see it happening right now, though, as she seems too content with her current life.

badunka
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Martina you rock do whatever you want to do as long as it makes you happy! :p :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :devil: :devil: :devil: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ys
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:57 PM
If with all these "hardhitters", "power players" Paola Suarez and Natalie Dechy can still make Slam semis, if Nastya can win a Slam, I don't see why Hingis can't, if she gets back to her level. After all, even in december 2000 no experts gave Capriati a slightest chance to be back in elite.

TeamUSA#1
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:58 PM
True...but jen did not completly STOP PLAYING for 3 years like hingis ..but i guess it is possible.

Jen didnt pick up a racquet for over 2 1/2 years. Martina we know has atleast played for fun with friends and done some expos........

She def. could make a comeback to the top 15 (or higher) if she dedicates herself....

badunka
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:59 PM
If with all these "hardhitters", "power players" Paola Suarez and Natalie Dechy can still make Slam semis, if Nastya can win a Slam, I don't see why Hingis can't, if she gets back to her level. After all, even in december 2000 no experts gave Capriati a slightest chance to be back in elite.

I definately agree. She needs a bit of confidence mixed in with some hard training and I think she can have the recipe to success! :)

DelMonte
Mar 8th, 2005, 04:24 PM
No idea what Martina is up to, but this is what she said in an interview with a Swiss magazine after she played in Pattaya. I had posted it in ealier thread: http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=151820

Can one still particapte in world-class tennis with a jeans size 36 and weighing 5 kilos less?
It's not easy. I felt/experienced that in Pattaya. I had not thought/expected that women's tennis would advance so quickly in such a short time. What was enough 2 years ago, isn't enough anymore/today. You already notice it in the changing rooms: the players have different figures, a different body shape. Sometimes I had the feeling that I was surrounded by basketball players. Size-wise I have a big disadvantage nowadays.

You've again expected more from your body in the last few weeks as before. Are your feet, which forced you to stop playing 2 1/2 years ago, able to keep up?
I don't have any complaints. But in Pattaya I learned this/this was shown to me: If I really want to play tennis at a professional level again, I'd have to train much harder. Whether this could be done without pain, that's a different question.

Julia1968
Mar 8th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Did you watch A. Myskina's run through last year's French Open? It surely gave Hingis hope.

harloo
Mar 8th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Anything is possible, but I think it will be difficult for Hingis to compete with todays competition considering more girls are bigger and stronger.

If she is successful she will defenitely have to work on her serve, and fitness. If she can incorporate her variety with power play she could possibly be on top again.

However, I feel Hingis lost her chance when she refused to change her game up during the time she was on the tour. Justine bulked up and changed her serve, so I could not understand why Hingis did not do so.

I wonder why doesn't Venus change her game up, or Jen never ventured to the net? I guess when players get use to the same style of play they get comfortable and Hingis was indeed TOO COMFORTABLE with her game.

SJW
Mar 8th, 2005, 05:33 PM
People tend to forget that all of her victories were not easy. She lost the first set to Novotna the year she won Wimbledon. She lost a set to Davenport the year of her big victory at Zurich.

And of course, she was down 1-4 in the third set to Serena in 2001 at the AO, battling back to win the match 8-6 in the third. (That was a match in which Serena claimed one of her mysterious tummy aches after it was all over.)

Anyway, I have very strong doubts about this latest rumor, since I would think Martina, who has been on the road a lot lately, would be training at home at her Mom's academy in Switzerland, if she were training at all.

Frankly, I don't see it happening right now, though, as she seems too content with her current life.

how ironic you forgot to mention this:

Q. Would you look back on that match as a match you lost, or will you look on it as a great match that enthralled the people that watched it?
SERENA WILLIAMS: I'll look at it as a match that Martina won

TonyP
Mar 8th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Harloo:I think there is some truth to that. Hingis has played the same kind of tennis since she was a very young girl, experiencing great success by the time she was 12, when she won the Roland Garros juniors title.

To become a player who goes for the big shots from the baseline now would be a major change and there would be no guarantee of success. And there would always be a height problem with the serve, although Justine has overcome it.

But Hingis admittedly worked little on her serve in her formative years, her mother dedicated to protecting her back from injury.

Anyway, I just don't see Martina becoming a power player, because it would be a lot less fun for her. For her tennis was like a chess game and it was out smarting opponets that made it fun for her. Out muscling opponents probably holds little thrill for her.

She could change her mind, but I think it is unlikely.