PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Worst Oscar Moments

spiceboy
Mar 5th, 2005, 02:14 PM
TOP 10 BAD OSCAR MOMENTS

67th Academy Awards - In 1995, American chat show king David Letterman hosted the Oscars. His chief mistake was importing elements of his night-time show into the ceremony but it didn't work.
There was a Top 10 list, Tom Hanks was enlisted to help with a silly pet trick (a dog that would spin around when anyone clapped) and Letterman kept repeating the line 'Uma, Oprah...Oprah, Uma!' (for some reason, he thought that was funny) which would immediately be followed by camera shots of a squirming Uma Thurman and Oprah Winfrey. He has not been invited back to host the event.

72nd Academy Awards - Phil Collins wins the Best Song 1999 Oscar for 'You'll Be in My Heart' from animated movie 'Tarzan'. The utterly unmemorable ballad beat the far superior 'Blame Canada' from 'South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut'. On the night, Robin Williams performed 'Blame Canada' and brought the house down.

71st Academy Awards - Gwyneth Paltrow wins for the 1998 Best Actress Oscar for 'Shakespeare in Love'; cue sob-fest. Washing your skin with a cheese grater is less painful than sitting through that excruciating speech again.

61st Academy Awards - In 1989 the Oscars gave us an infamous, hilariously bad moment. In the opening musical number, Rob Lowe danced to the Creedence Clearwater Revival classic 'Proud Mary' with a woman dressed from head to toe as Disney's Snow White. The performance was a disaster (Rob Lowe couldn't sing and Disney threatened to sue the Academy for unauthorised use of the Snow White image) but anyone who saw it will never forget it.

50th Academy Awards - British actress Vanessa Redgrave took home the 1977 Best Supporting Actress Oscar for 'Julia'. She made an extremely political speech referring to opponents of her support for Palestinian Arabs as "Zionist hoodlums" and was roundly booed.

70th Academy Awards - When James Cameron picked up the 1997 Oscar for Best Director, he memorably crowed, "I'm king of the world!" Someone else might've been able to make the moment likeable, but Cameron sounded like a conceited egomaniac.

71st Academy Awards - Here's an Oscar moment so bad that it's good. Divas Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston performed the 1998 Oscar-winning song 'When You Believe' from 'The Prince of Egypt'. Both ladies never use 1 note when 1,232,929 will do instead and as they blatantly attempted to out-sing each other, the sentimental song became funnier and funnier.
If Mariah trilled 'Ooh-ooh-ooh!', Whitney would shriek back, 'Whoa-whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh!' and then Carey would answer 'Yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah!' On and on and on it went until there was a very real fear that the bloomin' song would last longer than the ceremony itself. :lol: :lol: :lol:

71st Academy Awards - Okay, whose stupid idea was it to interpret the 1998 Best Original Dramatic Score nominees through dance? The viewing audience had to endure torturous dance routines with very little, if any, connection to the films in question. The most incongruous routine was undoubtedly Joaquin Cortés and his flamenco interpretation of serious war film 'Saving Private Ryan'. Too embarrassing for words.

64th Academy Awards - Best Director for 1991 was 'Silence Of The Lambs' director Jonathan Demme. His, um, long, um, acceptance, um-um-um, speech contained, um-um-um, so many 'ums' (over 40) that, um, it, um, finally became, um-um-um unbearable.

71st Academy Awards - In 1952 Elia Kazan, director of such film classics as 'East of Eden' (starring James Dean) and 'On the Waterfront' (starring Marlon Brando) testified before the House of Un-American Activities Committee. He gave the committee the names of supposed communists in the film industry and they were subsequently blacklisted from Hollywood.
For this reason the decision to give Kazan 1998's Honorary Oscar was extremely controversial. The degree of opposition, not just from the blacklist victims, was palpable. Half the audience remained in their seats - not standing to give Kazan an ovation - and many, including actors Nick Nolte and Ed Harris, refused to clap. It made compelling television but it's not something the Academy will look back on with relish.

spiceboy
Mar 5th, 2005, 02:16 PM
I cant decide who was worse Gywenth or Halle on the blubbering but ability to go on (and they won best actress :tape: :tape: )

wateva
Mar 5th, 2005, 02:18 PM
so i guess 1998's oscars was the worst ever?!

spiceboy
Mar 5th, 2005, 02:19 PM
I think Cher has a cute oscar story.....not only did she lose an earring on the way up to get the award but she was so shocked about winning because she didnt expect it that she forgot to thank so many people that the next day she took out a full page of adds thanking everyone....she only remembered to thanks Meryl Streep, her kids, makeup, hair and dialect coach :worship: :worship: :worship:

I liked how she said "I don't think this means that I am somebody.... but I guess I'm on my way" ;)
I thought that was quite sweet and humble :angel:

Sam L
Mar 5th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Roberto Beningi

Hilary Swank this year (lawyers? accountants? hello?)

Chunchun
Mar 5th, 2005, 02:37 PM
this year.

my impression is "All MCs are only talking about gay, gay ,gay" :rolleyes:

Halardfan
Mar 5th, 2005, 02:38 PM
I liked Letterman on the Oscars...he gave it a different feel...most of the other hosts make it horribly bland, smug and tepid...its a shame he won't be back.

Sam L
Mar 5th, 2005, 02:41 PM
I liked Letterman on the Oscars...he gave it a different feel...most of the other hosts make it horribly bland, smug and tepid...its a shame he won't be back.
What about Whoopi? She was the best!

vertigo
Mar 5th, 2005, 02:59 PM
http://us.ent4.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/oscars/74th_academy_awards_

Go Whoopi!! :worship:

PaulieM
Mar 5th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Roberto Beningi

:eek: roberto beningi was soo cute, i loved it. :awww:
as for hilary swank, you're definitely right, when you start to thank lawyers and accountants for how they've added to your successful career you've been up there talking for way too long.

!<blocparty>!
Mar 5th, 2005, 06:40 PM
I liked Halle's speach. It touched me.

PaulieM
Mar 5th, 2005, 06:42 PM
i agree, i think it was one time that all the blubbering was increadibly sincere and also good for a lot of people to hear

jrm
Mar 5th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Where are Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon?

Josh B.
Mar 5th, 2005, 07:06 PM
:worship: TIM ROBBINS IS A LEGEND!!!!! :worship:

propi
Mar 7th, 2005, 09:49 PM
TOP 10 BAD OSCAR MOMENTS

71st Academy Awards - In 1952 Elia Kazan, director of such film classics as 'East of Eden' (starring James Dean) and 'On the Waterfront' (starring Marlon Brando) testified before the House of Un-American Activities Committee. He gave the committee the names of supposed communists in the film industry and they were subsequently blacklisted from Hollywood.
For this reason the decision to give Kazan 1998's Honorary Oscar was extremely controversial. The degree of opposition, not just from the blacklist victims, was palpable. Half the audience remained in their seats - not standing to give Kazan an ovation - and many, including actors Nick Nolte and Ed Harris, refused to clap. It made compelling television but it's not something the Academy will look back on with relish.

I was really shocked about this one, generally people receiving this kind of awards is awfully clapped all the way, however that time you could feel there was something weird, then the cameras showed Ed Harris, who was seated with a ver serious face and you realized that indeed lots of people were not very happy about this award. However later when it was given to Polish director Andrej Wajda for example, everyone in the place was standing and claping

Mrs. Peel
Mar 7th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Roberto Beningi

I almost threw the remote at the TV when she thanked her lawyers...I thought, ok honey...time to get the fuck off the stage! :rolleyes:

PaulieM
Mar 7th, 2005, 11:11 PM
I almost threw the remote at the TV when she thanked her lawyers...I thought, ok honey...time to get the fuck off the stage! :rolleyes:
and then when the music started to play and she was like you can't play me off i haven't gotten to clint yet, i was thinking umm yeah that's because you wasted all that time thanking your lawyers and crap. :rolleyes: :confused:

Mrs. Peel
Mar 7th, 2005, 11:13 PM
and then when the music started to play and she was like you can't play me off i haven't gotten to clint yet, i was thinking umm yeah that's because you wasted all that time thanking your lawyers and crap. :rolleyes: :confused:

That was the point the Sandman from 'It's showtime at the Appollo' needed to come out with his broom :lol: :lol:

spiceboy
Mar 8th, 2005, 11:06 PM
I just had to post this great article :worship: :worship: :worship:

And not even the goody bag goes to ...

With three nominations for Vera Drake, the acclaimed director Mike Leigh took a deep breath and set off, again, for the Oscars. Here is his brilliant account of a week in which he partied with Clive Owen, Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty alongside the rest of Hollywood's A-list

Sunday March 6, 2005
The Observer (http://www.observer.co.uk/)

Thursday

The car for Heathrow is due at 12. At 11.40 a package suddenly arrives. It's a DVD: 'Tips For Academy Nominees: What To Do If You Win', introduced by Tom Hanks. My partner, Charlotte, and I sit down and watch it, secure in the knowledge I won't have to do anything. It's hilarious - everybody getting it horribly wrong, including Gwyneth Paltrow's legendary breakdown, which is a scream. There's only one tip, really - make it snappy.

Clive Owen is on the plane. He's nominated for Best Supporting Actor (for Closer). He hasn't received the DVD. He grins: 'That means you've won!' Nice guy, very funny. We discuss the rumour that this year the nominees will have to sit on stage in a line for the opening of the envelope. Dreadful prospect. On the flight I reflect on the impending madness. This is my third time at the Oscars. The first was with Secrets & Lies in 1996. We had five nominations - and walked away empty-handed. It was devastating - we'd bought into the hype, and believed we'd do well. Then came Topsy-Turvy in 1999 (four nominations. That was easier. We won two, and I'd been through it before. I'm quite sure we'll 'lose' all three this time, yet I'm quietly optimistic for Imelda.

Our hotel's on Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood - the Chateau Marmont, a 1929 folly in the French style. They've all stayed here, from Howard Hughes to Billy Wilder and Monroe herself. Something traumatic has happened in every room. John Belushi topped himself in one, and a bedknob fell on to my ex-wife, Alison Steadman, when we stayed here in 1991, during our Life is Sweet publicity tour. They've done it up since then, but it's still pre-war in style. It's usually blissfully quiet, but not this weekend ...

Friday

Breakfast in the room and I phone my friend, the veteran director Ken Annakin (The Longest Day, The Battle of the Bulge etc). He's 90, and lives here. He says, 'You won't win any Oscars. Swank'll get it.' He's a Yorkshireman.

We potter along Sunset then back for a meeting in the hotel garden with producer Joe Roth, who seems uncannily relaxed about the notion of financial involvement in my next film. He produced the Oscar show last year. He's found out that the rumour about nominees on stage is only partly true.

When he leaves, we all hang about waiting for Dennis Hopper, who eventually shows up to take my photo for a tsunami fund-raising book. He is accompanied by a smart young team. It's suddenly very surreal. Lots of pauses and long brooding moments. He gazes bleakly across the grass at the hotel. He mutters: 'I once lived here for two-and-a-half years ...' Then he takes a few tight close-ups, very slowly and ponderously. It actually feels quite good. I sense a warmth. We shake hands. Then he hugs me suddenly, and they all leave.

Supper with Imelda and her gang. Matteo's Restaurant was recommended to me. Nancy Reagan's and Frank Sinatra's favourite, apparently, and in deference to our status, they've put us on the Frank Sinatra Good Luck Table. Service ludicrous. Food inedible. Had they served Ol' Blue Eyes my osso bucco, the chef would have wound up with a horse's head in his bed, if not up his arse.

Saturday

Lunch Downtown with Jeff Hill, wizard New York publicist. Dry, funny, very camp and deeply wise about movie people and politics. He's cautiously optimistic about Imelda and Best Original Screenplay. Oh no, I'm starting to believe these drumbeats ...

On to the British Consul's cocktail party in honour of us 24 Brit nominees - the highest number in a decade. The usual suspects from the British press materialise, and here begin the weekend's endless daft questions: 'How do you feel ?', 'Are you expecting to win?' etc. Ken Annakin is still healthily pessimistic, and Ronald Neame (94, directed The Card, Tunes of Glory, The Poseidon Adventure etc) is effusive about Vera Drake. He loves its restraint. I'm very touched. Lots of people hugely complimentary. There's a photo-call by the pool. Imelda and I are astonished to be placed on chairs, centre, with the Consul behind us, flanked by everybody else.

The annual 'Night Before' party at the Beverly Hills Hotel. As instructed, we take our passports. There are six stages of security. The place heaves with Hollywood types, a Hirschfeld cartoon brought to life. Spike Lee shakes my hand while dancing with a large lady. Dustin Hoffman procrastinates (not to me, but in my face) as to whether to go for the white or the black silk freebie pyjamas. We eat lots of sushi with Sophie Okonedo, who's having a ball. An English actor and his soap star wife rave about Vera Drake, though the conversation changes in tone when she reveals herself to be a fundamentalist pro-lifer. And Imelda introduces me to Annette Bening and Warren Beatty, who spends some time telling me not only that I should make a film with him, but that I should shoot it in the Middle East, and that he wants to play an evil American. He keeps denying he's a communist, though I hadn't actually got him down as one. Lots of loud people being loud, and nice people being very nice about Vera Drake. As we leave, Charlotte reflects that the richest people in LA have to be the plastic surgeons.

Sunday

Why these ridiculous collywobbles? Charlotte says I'm worrying about the speech I won't have to make. She puts on a borrowed original 1930s blue sequinned evening dress, and looks gorgeous. Into the stretch limo - the absurdest mode of transport ever invented. Massive security on arrival at the Kodak theatre - passports again.

Then ... the red carpet. As always, the photographers bark and bray at you and you grin inanely. I'm always amused by the ones who ostentatiously don't want your picture because you're not newsworthy enough. Celebs of all kinds are pouring in, so I quickly develop the feeling that there's always a proper famous person behind me. Indeed, at one point Ziyi Zhang catches up, and my TV interviewer stops in mid-sentence, switches his attention to her, interviews her, then turns back to me, without batting an eyelid.

The collywobbles have gone, and I start enjoying the crack. 'What d'you like about all this?' 'Well, I love the grotesqueness of it all.' 'What d'you mean, grotesque?' 'What d'you mean, what do I mean, grotesque? Just look at it all ...'

Finally, I'm overtaken by Leonardo DiCaprio and his entourage. Huge cheers from all sides, and Charlotte and I go inside for champagne and canapes. Received wisdom is to get plenty of these down you, as supper is hours away. Various well-wishers, including Sam Goldwyn Jnr, who loves the film. Long chat with Josh Marston (Maria Full of Grace). I like him. We met at last summer's Sarajevo Film Festival. He's very sharp - one of tomorrow's greats.

And so to the Oscars, all four hours of them. A guy with a clipboard warns me when I have to be in my seat for my two nominations, as the roving camera will be on me. I'm in E1 and Imelda's in A1. Both on the edge of the auditorium. Does this mean we've definitely lost? Or are we just being paranoid?

An oddly detached feeling comes over me. Chris Rock is being very funny, but I don't feel like laughing. Deja vu kicks in ... the grisly spectre of Vera Drake sinking without trace by the end of the evening, like Secrets & Lies. As for the famous rumour, only some groups of nominees have to stand on stage like lemons - designers, documentarists, special effects guys etc. The glorious winner is thus upstaged by a retreating chain-gang, right in the middle of the most important moment in his or her life.

After every few awards, there's a short pee break, involving a mass exodus and teams of official Seat Fillers jumping into place in case peoplehaven't returned after the commercials. The awards go by. The Aviator clocks up five, including one for British costume designer Sandy Powell. Morgan Freeman gets his, to much adulation. Sideways scores the Best Adapted Screenplay, and Andrea Arnold wins for her brilliant British short, Wasp. 'As we say in English,' she chortles, 'this is the dog's bollocks!'

Our gang - Imelda, her husband, Jim Carter, and 11-year-old daughter, Bessie, Sue, her agent, Charlotte and I - keep up our spirits as we get closer and closer to the three dread moments ... We nod and joke and wink and grimace and gurn, and additional humorous contributions are made by Jeremy Irons and Pierce Brosnan from adjacent seats.

And then those moments come. 'And the Oscar goes to ... Hilary Swank!' Rapturous applause. Fuck!!! I look at Imelda. She's smiling and clapping, a camera right on her. But I know how she's feeling ... How ridiculous! It's just as we expected, yet, oh, how disappointing! It would have been so great ... And Hilary is paying tribute to Imelda and her other fellow nominees, which is always a lovely thing.

Best Original Screenplay. 'The Oscar goes to ... Charlie Kaufman!' Loud cheers. Oh, God! How we suffer! My camera's on me, and I clap away cheerfully, affecting great enthusiasm, although this is made much easier by my being a Charlie Kaufman fan. I know him a bit, and I like him.

Charlotte gives me a loving, supportive squeeze. We both know the game's up. Sure enough, ' ... and the Oscar for Best Director goes to ... Clint Eastwood!' This one isn't really so painful. I was never going to get this one, and my camera performance is really quite easy. Not that anybody's remotely interested in my reactions at this moment. My immediate disappointment is for Scorsese, in truth. No disrespect to Clint, but Marty is, as the lady says, 'the dog's bollocks'. When Million Dollar Baby gets the Oscar for Best Picture, all hell breaks loose, and the entire assembly surges manically upstairs for the Governor's Ball - plenty of bubbly and a steak dinner.

Our lot are guests of our distributor, Michael Line, and his wife. The mood is cheerful, philosophical, relieved. Michael says they somehow expected the film's reception to be more controversial. But everyone is calm and contented. And people come up to us, as they will for the rest of the evening, to tell us how they voted for us, how Vera should have been Best Film, and all those things that are music to the ears.

Imelda thanks me for the 18-month ride. Actually it's just two years since rehearsals began. But tonight is the end, pretty much. There have been lots of ends on Vera Drake, but this is the real one. Sad, but joyous too.

We've eaten, and it's too late to catch Elton John singing at his bash, so we all hit the legendary Vanity Fair party. This is another Hirschfeld - cartoon, but bigger, bolder, brasher, louder and sexier than last night's laidback affair. People are letting off steam. Clive Owen, another loser, goes around saying chirpily. 'Everyone loves a winner'.

A kaleidoscope of shouted conversations and pratfalls over long frocks later, we go outside, and join the car queue. Victoria Tennant's husband is delighted that I'm to direct the next Harry Potter. I put him right, and we leave. More post-Oscar junketing in the Chateau bar, so we raid our minibar, and wind down quietly.

Monday

A final stroll along Sunset - Virgin and Tower Records. We run into Harvey Weinstein at the hotel. I commiserate about Scorsese. We discuss this briefly. No mention of our misfortunes. On the way to the airport, Bob, our driver, calls his 18-year-old film director son to tell him he's got us on board. The boy's a Vera Drake fan. I send him my regards. Bob describes Governor Schwarzenegger's conspicuous absence from public life. Nothing is real in this part of the world.

Tuesday

At Heathrow, Sophie O retrieves tons of luggage. We joke about her travelling light. 'It's all the gifts I've received,' she says.

On the North Circular, our driver Paul asks about my goody bag. He's read that every nominee has received one, and that they're worth a fortune. I've never heard of any goody bag. Later, my sister mentions this. So do two friends.

Wednesday My assistant, Abbie, calls LA about the goody bag. They look into it ... Only the presenters get one! I dunno, problems of the Third World ....

shap_half
Mar 9th, 2005, 12:51 AM
I'm going to give this one to Halle Berry's really inappropriate speech for an Award she didn't deserve.

J_Migoe
Mar 9th, 2005, 02:17 AM
Bulshit! I saw the Mariah Carey/Whitney Houston song in the 1999 Oscars and it was very good. There was no competition and both singers sang their cues within their allocated time frame. It was one of the best performances I watched live on television. The song on stage was actually shorter than the recorded version. Both singers actually skipped one whole bridge altogether and that's why the song was very short!!!

Brooks.
Mar 9th, 2005, 02:31 AM
how can you guys not like halle's speech............i cannot think of speech more emotional and moving

Kunal
Mar 9th, 2005, 03:58 PM
i expected chris rock to be way more funnier than what he was...I guess he was playing it down cuz its no his normal MTV audience...

Billy Crystal and Steve Martin have been really good as hosts of the oscars. Paltrow was painful and Halle was kinda in the same boat, although the latter might have really meant it. Not that im callin paltrow a phony..

There is a great link of oscars best moments..

http://www.oscar.com/legacy/index.html

All the way at the bottom where it says...
VIDEO: Best moments from Oscar® acceptance speeches.

shap_half
Mar 9th, 2005, 05:54 PM
how can you guys not like halle's speech............i cannot think of speech more emotional and moving

It was so inappropriate it hurts.

Wigglytuff
Mar 9th, 2005, 06:36 PM
i dont watch the oscars so i have never seen any of these moments but i REALLY want to see the one with whitney and mariah is there anywere that have download or streamable clips of said moment.

Venus_Serena
Mar 9th, 2005, 06:54 PM
i dont watch the oscars so i have never seen any of these moments but i REALLY want to see the one with whitney and mariah is there anywere that have download or streamable clips of said moment.

http://www.whitneyonly.com/index_fr.html
-the website is in french-

entrer
medias(at the top of the page) and then videos
prestations

Mrs. Peel
Mar 9th, 2005, 06:59 PM
I'm going to give this one to Halle Berry's really inappropriate speech for an Award she didn't deserve.

Paltrow didn't deserve her Oscar either :lol: I hated Monster's Ball with a passion but Halle's role had some RISK and her winning the Oscar has some significance given the last time a black actress won the Oscar.

Becool
Mar 9th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Halle's speech was so cute and so was Kim's when she won for best supporting actress in 98 I think. I hated Hilary this year's speech.. Even tho when she won for the first time it was cute. Cate this year might be in that category, cuz she surely didn't deserve the award as best supporting actress. Maybe for an overall thing, but judgin their performance, Cate was the weakest.

Roberto Benigni's reaction sucked too :rolleyes: He's the biggest moron in the world.

Cher
Mar 9th, 2005, 08:59 PM
I think Cher has a cute oscar story.....not only did she lose an earring on the way up to get the award but she was so shocked about winning because she didnt expect it that she forgot to thank so many people that the next day she took out a full page of adds thanking everyone....she only remembered to thanks Meryl Streep, her kids, makeup, hair and dialect coach :worship: :worship: :worship:

I liked how she said "I don't think this means that I am somebody.... but I guess I'm on my way" ;)
I thought that was quite sweet and humble :angel:

Did You see My Lovley Oscar Gown ? :lol:

spiceboy
Mar 9th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Did You see My Lovley Oscar Gown ? :lol:

Maaaaaaaarvelous! :kiss:

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2004/03/01/APcher3.jpg

http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/images/pho/t053/T053150A.jpg

Dressed in her famous Bob Mackie “head-dress” outfit, Cher graces the Oscar stage to present the award, for “Lead actor in a motion picture.” Joking beforehand, she exclaims that she received her handbook “How to dress like a serious actress!”

Absolutely Fascinating! One of her greatest moments! :worship: :worship:

spiceboy
Mar 9th, 2005, 11:10 PM
And here we have some famous moments in Oscar acceptance speeches :)

-- Tom Hanks, Best Actor for "Philadelphia," thanks "Rawley Farnsworth, who was my high school drama teacher, who taught me, 'To act well the part, there all the glory lies,' " and former classmate John Gilkerson, "two of the finest gay Americans, two wonderful men that I had the good fortune to be associated with." (1994)

-- Jessica Yu, accepting for Best Short Subject Documentary: "What a thrill. You know you've entered new territory when you realize that your outfit cost more than your film." (1997)

-- Robin Williams, Best Supporting Actor for "Good Will Hunting": "Most of all, I want to thank my father, up there, the man who when I said I wanted to be an actor, he said, 'Wonderful, just have a back-up profession like welding.' " (1998 )

-- Elizabeth Taylor, accepting the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award in honor of all the "men, women and children with AIDS": "Tonight I am asking for your help. I call upon you to draw from the depths of your being to prove that we are a human race. To prove that our love outweighs our need to hate. That our compassion is more compelling than our need to blame. That our sensitivity to those in need is stronger than our greed. . . . Thank you and God bless." (1993)

-- Sacheen Littlefeather, accepting the Oscar on behalf of Marlon Brando, Best Actor for "The Godfather": "I think awards in this country at this time are inappropriate to be received or given until the condition of the American Indian is drastically altered. If we are not our brother's keeper, at least let us not be his executioner." She turns out not to be Native American. (1973)

spiceboy
Mar 9th, 2005, 11:13 PM
-- Tom Hanks, Best Actor for "Philadelphia," thanks "Rawley Farnsworth, who was my high school drama teacher, who taught me, 'To act well the part, there all the glory lies,' " and former classmate John Gilkerson, "two of the finest gay Americans, two wonderful men that I had the good fortune to be associated with." (1994)

Tom Hanks' PHILADELHIA speech is also notable as the first acceptance speech to inspire an entire movie. It was the basis for the premise of IN AND OUT ;)

Kunal
Mar 10th, 2005, 03:35 AM
Tom Hanks' PHILADELHIA speech is also notable as the first acceptance speech to inspire an entire movie. It was the basis for the premise of IN AND OUT ;)

That is really peculiar and intersting. I don't know if you are being serious ( I think you are) Because I remembered watching that movie and then afterwards was going through the oscar archives and it reminded me of that scene in the movie when he thanks his gay friend...

Funny how one makes connections like this..

shap_half
Mar 10th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Paltrow didn't deserve her Oscar either :lol: I hated Monster's Ball with a passion but Halle's role had some RISK and her winning the Oscar has some significance given the last time a black actress won the Oscar.

I'm not saying that I always agree with the Acadamey's choice in winners. But I've read many articles discussing some of the worst choices the academy's ever made and most (if not all) indicate Halle Berry's win among them. I'm not saying she was horrible -- she wasn't. She just didn't deserve to win (I don't feel she even deserved to be nominated).

harloo
Mar 10th, 2005, 04:05 PM
I'm not saying that I always agree with the Acadamey's choice in winners. But I've read many articles discussing some of the worst choices the academy's ever made and most (if not all) indicate Halle Berry's win among them. I'm not saying she was horrible -- she wasn't. She just didn't deserve to win (I don't feel she even deserved to be nominated).

Awe yes. but you chose to single out Halle.:rolleyes:

Uh-huh!:lol:

kabuki
Mar 10th, 2005, 04:24 PM
That was the point the Sandman from 'It's showtime at the Appollo' needed to come out with his broom :lol: :lol:

:lol: :haha: :lol:

kabuki
Mar 10th, 2005, 04:24 PM
I wish we had a Sandman Smilie...

spiceboy
Mar 10th, 2005, 06:40 PM

As much as I love Gwyneth :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: her performance was just OK, nothing compared to Fernanda Montenegro's from 'Central Station', also nominated...but of course, being a 60-something Brazilian, Fernanda had to be grateful for just being nominated :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

spiceboy
Mar 10th, 2005, 06:40 PM
That is really peculiar and intersting. I don't know if you are being serious ( I think you are)

Yes, I am :)

shap_half
Mar 10th, 2005, 06:57 PM

I chose to single out Halle because I feel that her winning is worst. The girl didn't even deserve to be nominated and the girl won. Nothing is worst than that.

People need to stop qualifying my opinion. I've received a few neg reps just for speaking out against Halle. The girl didn't deserve to win (and I'm not the only one who thinks so) and some of you need to get over it. I'm not saying my opinion is one people need to go by, but people need to stop attacking me by leaving rude comments in my rep box because I don't support her winning that award.

Brooks.
Mar 10th, 2005, 09:08 PM
I chose to single out Halle because I feel that her winning is worst. The girl didn't even deserve to be nominated and the girl won. Nothing is worst than that.

People need to stop qualifying my opinion. I've received a few neg reps just for speaking out against Halle. The girl didn't deserve to win (and I'm not the only one who thinks so) and some of you need to get over it. I'm not saying my opinion is one people need to go by, but people need to stop attacking me by leaving rude comments in my rep box because I don't support her winning that award.

im just confused as to why you think her role in Monsters Ball was wasnt worthy :confused: ..............i thought it was a fantastic performance (even though i didn't even like the movie)...............if you look back that year i think it was the best performance...........i dont think sissy's performance in in the bedroom was even close to halle's.......really the only performance that comes close is nicole kidman in moulin rouge....................but anyways i like that you are being honest and saying what you feel.........it makes for better conversation :) :wavey:

shap_half
Mar 10th, 2005, 09:20 PM
I really don't agree that her performance was best. I think that out of all that's been nominated it was worst and didn't even deserve to be nominated. When you consider that Bjork nor Naomi Watts were not even nominated for their respective performances in Dancer in the Dark and Mulholland Drive. I know that the Academy often chooses winners who I don't agree with, but seeing Halle Berry win (when I didn't feel that she should not have been nominated) is frustrating.

Her performance weren't as nuanced nor as believable as those nominated with her. I thought Sissy Spacek did extremely well in In the Bedroom. I really thought that she should have won that Oscar (out of the ones nominated, but my choice would still have been Naomi Watts for Mulholland Drive as the best femal performance in that year).

If I had to list the best female performances of the year (including supporting roles) of 2001, I'd list them as:

1. Naomi Watts - Mulholland Drive
2. Sissy Spacek - In the Bedroom
3. Renee Zellweger - Bridget Jones's Diary
4. Bjork - Dancer in the Dark
5. Nicole Kidman - Moulin Rouge
6. Dame Judi Dench - Iris
7. Jennifer Connelly - A Beautiful Mind
8. Nicole Kidman - The Others
9. Kate Winslet - Iris
0. Thora Birch - Ghost World

eta: after careful consideration, i realized that Dancer in the Dark was released in 2000 and that Bjork was nominated for a Golden Globe for her performance in that Lans von Trier. So I have revised my list, but Berry still manages not to make it into the Top 10. That's just my opinion. I don't particularly feel that an overtop and tired performance deserves an Oscar.

1. Naomi Watts - Mulholland Drive
2. Sissy Spacek - In the Bedroom
3. Renee Zellweger - Bridget Jones's Diary
4. Nicole Kidman - Moulin Rouge
5. Dame Judi Dench - Iris
6. Jennifer Connelly - A Beautiful Mind
7. Nicole Kidman - The Others
8. Kate Winslet - Iris
9. Thora Birch - Ghost World
0. Anjelica Huston - The Royal Tenenbaums

Others worth mentioning that I feel were better performances than Berry:
Helen Mirren in Godsford Park
Tilda Swinton in The Deeper End
Dame Judi Dench in The Shipping News
Audrey Tautou in Amelie

Another interesting point about the 2002 award season is that Jennifer Connelly was in the running for a Leading Actress SAG award (Berry won this) but Supporting Actress in every other award of that season. :shrug: She didn't win the Leading Actress and Helen Mirren won the Supporting Actress role at the SAG Awards. JCon would have probably swept that years' awards in the supporting actress category if she'd just stayed there. Her role in A Beautiful Mind is clearly a supporting one to Russel Crowe.

Becool
Mar 10th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Renee is very overrated

shap_half
Mar 10th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Renee is very overrated

Hmmm...Are you also one of the people who thinks Halle Berry should have won the 2002 Oscar?

apoet29
Mar 10th, 2005, 11:05 PM
SH, If you don't feel that Halle deserved the Oscar, that is completely fine by me. There are plenty of Oscar winners that I feel didn't deserve their awards, so I understand your argument.

What bothers me is that you don't seem to accept the fact that other people feel that she deserved to win nor do you accept their reasons for why they feel she deserved to win.

Whether or not you agree with the choice, Academy voters seemed to like her performance enough to merit it with an Oscar.

shap_half
Mar 10th, 2005, 11:12 PM
I understand that. And I apologize if you feel as if I don't accept others opinions, because I do.

apoet29
Mar 10th, 2005, 11:26 PM
I understand that. And I apologize if you feel as if I don't accept others opinions, because I do.

You don't have to apologize for anything. You have strong feelings on the subject and I respect that. But what you need to understand is that there are other opinions out there on this subject, whether you agree with them or not and it doesn't seem to me that you do, at least not in this case. For example, when someone posted that he or she felt that Renee Zellwegger was overrated, you counterattacked by asking him or her if he or she felt Halle should have won. Halle's win has nothing to do with Renee and vice versa. I think because you feel that Halle was so underdeserving of her Oscar that you cannot accept that anyone would feel otherwise.

Having said that, you are certainly entitled to your opinions and they are well-thought out even though I do not agree with them.

It's all good. We could sit and debate Oscar worthy movies and performances forever.

Brooks.
Mar 10th, 2005, 11:30 PM
i would like to know what everyone thinks about nicole's win for the hours a year later.............a lot of people didn't think she deserved it (im not one of them)..........i'd still say that her performance in moulin rouge was stronger but her performance in the hours was certainly oscar worthy as well

shap_half
Mar 10th, 2005, 11:34 PM
I guess my response to the Renee comment was slightly snide and droll so I don't wan to clarify.

But I appreciate your response, apoet.

apoet29
Mar 10th, 2005, 11:35 PM
i would like to know what everyone thinks about nicole's win for the hours a year later.............a lot of people didn't think she deserved it (im not one of them)..........i'd still say that her performance in moulin rouge was stronger but her performance in the hours was certainly oscar worthy as well

I will go on record by saying that I hated Moulin Rouge and I really hated Nicole's performance in it. It ranks, for me, as one of her weakest performances ever. Her performance in The Others that same year was much stronger and that is the one she should have been nominated for.

I thought the performance in The Hours was outstanding. She made Virginia Woolf, a highly complex woman, come to life. For me, that made her performance far more deserving of an Oscar than Moulin Rouge.

shap_half
Mar 10th, 2005, 11:42 PM

I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this one, but I felt that Zellweger should have won. I actually felt that Julianne Moore would have won if Zellweger didn't win it. If we look at all the important awards going into that year's Best Actress race:

Moore won the BFCAA
Zellweger won a Golden Globe and the SAG
Kidman won a Golden Globe and the BAFTA

So going into the Oscars, there was a lot of buzz about Zellweger winning, but Kidman won. I thought Nicole did an amazing job in the Hours. She did really well, I mean some of the scenes (particularly in the train station) could be used to teach acting to people. But I really thought that Zellweger pulled off an amazing job in Chicago. Her performance was so nuanced and her mannerism was just to the point. Some of the performances she did (especially the ventriliquism scene with Richard Gere) were just top notch. I thought that her performance was superb and deserving of an Oscar.

Brooks.
Mar 10th, 2005, 11:51 PM
I loved chicago as well.............but i really felt the star performance in that movie was catherine zeta jones and i was happy that she won in supporting. I definitely think zellweger will win the best actress oscar soon enough b/c the academy clearly likes her.

apoet29
Mar 10th, 2005, 11:54 PM
I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this one, but I felt that Zellweger should have won. I actually felt that Julianne Moore would have won if Zellweger didn't win it. If we look at all the important awards going into that year's Best Actress race:

Moore won the BFCAA
Zellweger won a Golden Globe and the SAG
Kidman won a Golden Globe and the BAFTA

So going into the Oscars, there was a lot of buzz about Zellweger winning, but Kidman won. I thought Nicole did an amazing job in the Hours. She did really well, I mean some of the scenes (particularly in the train station) could be used to teach acting to people. But I really thought that Zellweger pulled off an amazing job in Chicago. Her performance was so nuanced and her mannerism was just to the point. Some of the performances she did (especially the ventriliquism scene with Richard Gere) were just top notch. I thought that her performance was superb and deserving of an Oscar.

I think two things denied Renee the Oscar that year. First, Nicole's performance in the Hours was just that good, particularly as you pointed out, the train station scene was just dynamic. Her subtle mannerisms and her facial expressions were spot on. Second, Renee got upstaged by Catherine Zeta-Jones, who was a trained professional dancer and stage performer. Renee's acting was good, but her dancing compared to Catherine's was not as smooth or fluid. In fact, many people I know thought that Catherine had upstaged Renee in the film.

I remember reading that Renee was devastated when she lost to Nicole and even left the Oscars early and went home that evening to sulk. Of course, next year she got her comeuppance when she won the Oscar and Nicole was not even nominated.

shap_half
Mar 11th, 2005, 02:02 AM
I love Nicole. She's my third favorite actress after Renee and Scarlett Johansson, but my very weary about giving a BEST LEADING ACTRESS OSCAR to someone who was in the movie for about 9 minutes in total. I feel like Meryl Streep is the leading actress of that film and not Nicole.

Geisha
Mar 11th, 2005, 05:22 AM
I cant decide who was worse Gywenth or Halle on the blubbering but ability to go on (and they won best actress :tape: :tape: )

Halle is by far the most annoying.

I want to thank all of the black women! We made it! SOB SOB SOB! So freakin' annoying.

As for the BLAME CANADA song. It's pathetic and very American.

Denise4925
Mar 11th, 2005, 05:31 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Denise4925
Mar 11th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Oh please, it was very appropriate, and it's your opinion that she didn't deserve it. I think she did as good a job as anyone else nominated. :rolleyes:

Denise4925
Mar 11th, 2005, 05:37 AM

Right??!! :lol: Very very typical. :rolleyes:

Denise4925
Mar 11th, 2005, 05:39 AM

No, the worst person ever nominated and to win the best actress award was Liza Minelli for Caberet. :rolleyes: That movie is sooooooo bad, I can't even get through it.

Denise4925
Mar 11th, 2005, 05:45 AM
I will go on record by saying that I hated Moulin Rouge and I really hated Nicole's performance in it. It ranks, for me, as one of her weakest performances ever. Her performance in The Others that same year was much stronger and that is the one she should have been nominated for.

I thought the performance in The Hours was outstanding. She made Virginia Woolf, a highly complex woman, come to life. For me, that made her performance far more deserving of an Oscar than Moulin Rouge.
I agree. I couldn't even get through Moulin Rouge. She was fantastic in the Others and in the Hours (although I didn't care for that movie either)

Denise4925
Mar 11th, 2005, 05:46 AM
I loved chicago as well.............but i really felt the star performance in that movie was catherine zeta jones and i was happy that she won in supporting. I definitely think zellweger will win the best actress oscar soon enough b/c the academy clearly likes her.
I totally agree. Catherine stole that movie.

Brooks.
Mar 11th, 2005, 05:47 AM
one of my favorite best actress winners was helen hunt in as good as it gets...............she was so brillant in that movie...........i was sad that kate winslet didnt win for titantic that year though

Denise4925
Mar 11th, 2005, 05:50 AM
one of my favorite best actress winners was helen hunt in as good as it gets...............she was so brillant in that movie...........i was sad that kate winslet didnt win for titantic that year though
My favorite actress I must say is Cate Blanchet. She is my Meryl Streep in her younger years. I loved Cate in Elizabeth and in the Gift. She's a fantastic actor and this year was just one of many Oscars to come.

To me, the most annoying of Oscar winners was Roberto Benini or whatever his name is. How in the hell did he win Best Actor? Was Mickey Mouse, Daffy Duck and Ronald McDonald nominated also? I love foreign films but that movie he won for was horrific. Another movie I couldn't get through.

Brooks.
Mar 11th, 2005, 06:07 AM
My favorite actress I must say is Cate Blanchet. She is my Meryl Streep in her younger years. I loved Cate in Elizabeth and in the Gift. She's a fantastic actor and this year was just one of many Oscars to come.

To me, the most annoying of Oscar winners was Roberto Benini or whatever his name is. How in the hell did he win Best Actor? Was Mickey Mouse, Daffy Duck and Ronald McDonald nominated also? I love foreign films but that movie he won for was horrific. Another movie I couldn't get through.

i love cate blanchhet as well..................i havent seen the aviator yet but i really want to.

Denise4925
Mar 11th, 2005, 06:12 AM
i love cate blanchhet as well..................i havent seen the aviator yet but i really want to.
Oh I do too. I think she's absolutely wonderful. I think my second favorite is Nicole Kidman. I fell in love with her in her first movie. I can't think of the name of it, but she and her husband had lost their child in a car accident and they went on a sailboat trip and their boat was taken over by this guy.

Brooks.
Mar 11th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Oh I do too. I think she's absolutely wonderful. I think my second favorite is Nicole Kidman. I fell in love with her in her first movie. I can't think of the name of it, but she and her husband had lost their child in a car accident and they went on a sailboat trip and their boat was taken over by this guy.

we are like two peas in a pod denise :D ............i love nicole as well........i love her moulin rouge, the hours, and i can't wait to see bewitched.......i loved that show as a kid

Denise4925
Mar 11th, 2005, 06:17 AM
we are like two peas in a pod denise :D ............i love nicole as well........i love her moulin rouge, the hours, and i can't wait to see bewitched.......i loved that show as a kid
:lol: Oh my goodness, I LOOOVVEDDD Bewitched. I used to cry if I missed it. :lol: She'd be a good Samantha. Did they say who was going to be Endora and Darren?

Although I love Nicole, I can't say I loved her in Moulin Rouge, because I didn't like the movie.

Brooks.
Mar 11th, 2005, 06:20 AM
:lol: Oh my goodness, I LOOOVVEDDD Bewitched. I used to cry if I missed it. :lol: She'd be a good Samantha. Did they say who was going to be Endora and Darren?

Although I love Nicole, I can't say I loved her in Moulin Rouge, because I didn't like the movie.

shriley mcclaine is gonna be endora and will ferrall (spell?) is gonna be darren......i think they are already done shooting and it will be out in the summer :hearts:

adss
Mar 11th, 2005, 09:58 AM

i dont think she deserved an oscar for the hours, i felt it was more of a "sorry we snubbed you before" (like morgan freeman this year) it was a good performance, but it wasn't the best of the year, it wasn't even the best in the film (imo julianne moore was in both cases)

adss
Mar 11th, 2005, 10:04 AM

imo the most undeserving actor to win an oscar. just look at his competition:
Edward Norton - American History X
Ian Mckellen - Gods and Monsters
Nick Nolte - Affliction
Tom Hanks - Saving Private Ryan

Beat
Mar 11th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Both ladies never use 1 note when 1,232,929 will do instead and as they blatantly attempted to out-sing each other, the sentimental song became funnier and funnier.
:lol:

and apparently whitney complained that mariah got seated in the row -gasp! - in front of her, and als more to the centre, so the seating order had to be re-done... :tape:

Denise4925
Mar 11th, 2005, 05:22 PM
imo the most undeserving actor to win an oscar. just look at his competition:
Edward Norton - American History X
Ian Mckellen - Gods and Monsters
Nick Nolte - Affliction
Tom Hanks - Saving Private Ryan
I cannot believe he won with that type of competition. OMG :eek: Any one of those actors in any of those movies acts circles around that guy. I wonder if it was a case of the other four are so good we can't choose so let's choose the worse? :confused:

Mrs. Peel
Mar 11th, 2005, 05:51 PM

I was also shocked that such a bad movie received such recognition! That was a bad year for the Oscars....many were awarded to the wrong people. That was the year of Shakespeare in Love which was also a bore. I think Miramax called in some markers that year and pulled off a coup.

Denise4925
Mar 11th, 2005, 08:07 PM
I was also shocked that such a bad movie received such recognition! That was a bad year for the Oscars....many were awarded to the wrong people. That was the year of Shakespeare in Love which was also a bore. I think Miramax called in some markers that year and pulled off a coup.
I know, I usually like Gwyneth Paltrow, but I don't think she deserved an Oscar for that performance. That movie was horrible and she had no range in it.