PDA

View Full Version : Alanis' New/Old Jagged Little (Acoustic) Pill; 10 Year Anniversary

AjdeNate!
Mar 5th, 2005, 03:35 AM
Alanis Pulls Plug on "Pill"

03/04/2005 5:30 PM, E! Online
Josh Grossberg

This Pill is going down easier.

To mark the 10th anniversary of the album that catapulted her to stardom and emasculated men everywhere via the hit single "You Oughta Know," Alanis Morissette plans to release an acoustic version of Jagged Little Pill on June 13.

The singer is reuniting in the studio with Glen Ballard, who coproduced and cowrote Jagged Little Pill, for the unplugged version, which will hit stores exactly 10 years to the day the original came out

The new disc will initially only be available in Starbucks' 4,500 stores across North America. Traditional retailers won't be able to sell the CD until July 26.

Morissette says the acoustic set will follow the Pill track listing, but will "reinterpret the songs in ways that developed in my touring and acoustic shows over the past 10 years."

The 2.0 edition will also feature some extras, including video footage of her 18-month tour in 1995-96 and new artwork.

Jagged Little Pill has sold more than 30 million units worldwide, 14.4 million copies in the U.S., where it ranks as the best-selling debut ever by a female artist.

Morissette has not been able to repeat that breakthrough success. Her three subsequent studio albums--1998's Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie, 2002's Under Rug Swept and 2004's So Called Chaos--have sold well, but not approached Pill's status as pop phenomenon.

Aside from "You Oughta Know," Pill spawned such radio-friendly hits as "Ironic," "One Hand in My Pocket," You Learn" and "Head over Feet" and earned Morissette four Grammy Awards, including Album of the year--all at the tender age of 21.

"I was in survival mode when Jagged Little Pill came out," says the singer, now 30. "I am able now, with a little distance, to appreciate it and have some objectivity. I love this record and am warmed by the thought of tipping my hat to it 10 years later."

"The songs from Jagged Little Pill were written and recorded in a trance, and now the opportunity for us to revisit these songs a decade later is both a treat and an act of discovery," says Ballard.

To accompany the release, Morissette is lining up her first acoustic trek--dubbed the Diamond Wink Tour--that will make stops at small venues across the country in June and July and feature all of Pill, along with some other favorites from subsequent releases.

This year is shaping up to be a big one for the singer. News of Pill popping anew comes just three weeks after the Canadian-born Morissette was sworn in as a United States. She's also slated to tie the knot with actor Ryan Reynolds in the coming months.

And after the acoustic album and tour, Morissette plans to start work on a new, largely electrified project; meanwhile, a greatest-hits package that will feature one or two new tracks will likely hit stores around Christmas.

AjdeNate!
Mar 11th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Apparently this will ship with a DVD. Not sure what's to be on it at this point.

Rtael
Mar 12th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Alanis! :hearts:

She's gonna try to beat Shania Twain's album sales total! ;)

ASV_FAN
Mar 13th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Great to hear, can't wait to buy it :) .

Kart
Mar 13th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Has it really been ten years ?

:eek:

AjdeNate!
Mar 13th, 2005, 02:42 PM
^ I know, I feel old(er).

Randy H
Mar 13th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Alanis! :hearts:

She's gonna try to beat Shania Twain's album sales total! ;)

Shania was just certified 20 million in the US for Come On Over so Alanis is going to have to sell a little over 5.5 million to surpass Shania's record - Not impossible, but I think it will be a tough feat just because it's harder these days to get those kinds of sales because of online downloading and burning.

I will definitely consider buying the album, it will be interesting to look back on the songs and hear them in a new way from the original sound of 10 years ago. :)

Bероника
Mar 13th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Has it really been ten years ?

:eek:

Yeah time flies :sad:

But I still love Alanis.:D Can't wait to hear it.

:wavey:

badunka
Mar 13th, 2005, 07:00 PM
that album was wicked can't wait for the new one. Alanis is awesome

CoryAnnAvants#1
Mar 21st, 2005, 06:44 PM
I don't see the point of doing it - other than the obvious easy cash reason.

What's interesting about the album JLP is that it's aggressive, raw... By doing an accoustic version she basically removes what makes the album interesting. Who wants to hear a slow or accoustic version of Ironic, All I really Want or Not the Doctor? I'm falling asleep just to think about it.

Point taken, but everybody and their mother already owns Jagged Little Pill...and let's face it, she's had three REAL hits since JLP ("Thank U," "Uninvited," and "Hands Clean") compared to five from Pill. She needs to try and reinvent JLP if she's going to re-release it because she won't be able to introduce any new fans with it.

The music she has made since her first album is far better. "Supposed" is one of the best albums of the 90s, and her other two albums are pretty damn good as well. Unfortunately, her record label has done an absolutely SHIT job of promoting her new work, so consequently she hasn't sold as much and nobody has really heard anything new from her.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Mar 21st, 2005, 06:48 PM
I LOOOOOOOVE that album. It was so raw, and just so fresh.

*abby*
Mar 21st, 2005, 07:44 PM
i have all her albums she is so cool!!!!
im hopin to get to the so called chaos gig in april in manchester it wud b awesome!!!
she deserves all this praise....she is ace!

GoDominique
Mar 21st, 2005, 08:13 PM
The music she has made since her first album is far better. "Supposed" is one of the best albums of the 90s, and her other two albums are pretty damn good as well.
I strongly disagree, especially about the "far better" part.
"Supposed" is very good but also different which doesn't make it better automatically.
The next two are not as good IMO. Actually they are a little boring, for Alanis' standards. Not innovative.

Agree about the bad marketing though.

Joana
Mar 21st, 2005, 09:27 PM
I strongly disagree, especially about the "far better" part.
"Supposed" is very good but also different which doesn't make it better automatically.
The next two are not as good IMO. Actually they are a little boring, for Alanis' standards. Not innovative.

Agree about the bad marketing though.

I totally agree. JLP was great. It is still one of my favourite albums ever.
SFIJ was good, but I felt it lacked some of the Pill's original energy and I didn't enjoy it as much. And the last two are, IMO, just not "real" Alanis.

*abby*
Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:37 AM
i love JLP
SFIJ was just a bit wiers
i absolutely love URS
and SCC is brilliant

Sam L
Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:58 AM
Alanis Pulls Plug on "Pill"

03/04/2005 5:30 PM, E! Online
Josh Grossberg

This Pill is going down easier.

To mark the 10th anniversary of the album that catapulted her to stardom and emasculated men everywhere via the hit single "You Oughta Know," Alanis Morissette plans to release an acoustic version of Jagged Little Pill on June 13.

The singer is reuniting in the studio with Glen Ballard, who coproduced and cowrote Jagged Little Pill, for the unplugged version, which will hit stores exactly 10 years to the day the original came out

The new disc will initially only be available in Starbucks' 4,500 stores across North America. Traditional retailers won't be able to sell the CD until July 26.

Morissette says the acoustic set will follow the Pill track listing, but will "reinterpret the songs in ways that developed in my touring and acoustic shows over the past 10 years."

The 2.0 edition will also feature some extras, including video footage of her 18-month tour in 1995-96 and new artwork.

Jagged Little Pill has sold more than 30 million units worldwide, 14.4 million copies in the U.S., where it ranks as the best-selling debut ever by a female artist.

Morissette has not been able to repeat that breakthrough success. Her three subsequent studio albums--1998's Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie, 2002's Under Rug Swept and 2004's So Called Chaos--have sold well, but not approached Pill's status as pop phenomenon.

Aside from "You Oughta Know," Pill spawned such radio-friendly hits as "Ironic," "One Hand in My Pocket," You Learn" and "Head over Feet" and earned Morissette four Grammy Awards, including Album of the year--all at the tender age of 21.

"I was in survival mode when Jagged Little Pill came out," says the singer, now 30. "I am able now, with a little distance, to appreciate it and have some objectivity. I love this record and am warmed by the thought of tipping my hat to it 10 years later."

"The songs from Jagged Little Pill were written and recorded in a trance, and now the opportunity for us to revisit these songs a decade later is both a treat and an act of discovery," says Ballard.

To accompany the release, Morissette is lining up her first acoustic trek--dubbed the Diamond Wink Tour--that will make stops at small venues across the country in June and July and feature all of Pill, along with some other favorites from subsequent releases.

This year is shaping up to be a big one for the singer. News of Pill popping anew comes just three weeks after the Canadian-born Morissette was sworn in as a United States. She's also slated to tie the knot with actor Ryan Reynolds in the coming months.

And after the acoustic album and tour, Morissette plans to start work on a new, largely electrified project; meanwhile, a greatest-hits package that will feature one or two new tracks will likely hit stores around Christmas.
OMG! You just made me feel OLD! :sad:

I grew up with that CD in my teens. I went to her first concert down under. :p

10 years? OMG.

Hot 92 Jamz
Mar 22nd, 2005, 12:20 PM
Shania was just certified 20 million in the US for Come On Over so Alanis is going to have to sell a little over 5.5 million to surpass Shania's record - Not impossible, but I think it will be a tough feat just because it's harder these days to get those kinds of sales because of online downloading and burning.

I will definitely consider buying the album, it will be interesting to look back on the songs and hear them in a new way from the original sound of 10 years ago. :)

I don't think Alanis will surpass Shania because Alanis' fan base is less likely to buy CDs.

Dahveed
Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:36 AM
10 years is hard to believe. Yeah i do feel old too..

Anyway, JLP is probably my fave album ever and the most influential to me so it's always good to hear we'll hear the songs again with the release of this acoustic album. However, as mentioned before, it sounds kinda dull to me to release acoustic songs we can already get anyway (Unplugged, live versions).

I think SFIJ is not better than JLP, certainly different, yes. And good as well.

Then i guess 'Under Rug Swept' and 'So Called Chaos' are not really 'unreal' Alanis as some of you stated - it was just not really as successful as the previous ones due to the lack of promotion and investment from both Maverick and Alanis.

Randy H
Mar 23rd, 2005, 02:22 AM
10 years is hard to believe. Yeah i do feel old too..

Anyway, JLP is probably my fave album ever and the most influential to me so it's always good to hear we'll hear the songs again with the release of this acoustic album. However, as mentioned before, it sounds kinda dull to me to release acoustic songs we can already get anyway (Unplugged, live versions).

I think SFIJ is not better than JLP, certainly different, yes. And good as well.

Then i guess 'Under Rug Swept' and 'So Called Chaos' are not really 'unreal' Alanis as some of you stated - it was just not really as successful as the previous ones due to the lack of promotion and investment from both Maverick and Alanis.

I think that part of the problem for Alanis and other artists who have a major successful album is that a lot of fans are so used to one particular sound or style from them that they have a hard time accepting any kind of new or different direction from them. I don't think the more recent albums by Alanis are any less 'real' they are just a reflection of a different time in her life that is not as angry or raw - It's a more mature sound. I think a lot of people just expect Alanis to keep doing Jagged Little Pill part 2, 3, etc. and that just isn't realistic. If she did get more promotion behind her newer music, I think she would have had more success with them than she has achieved.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:01 AM
I loved "Supposed..." as well. Loved that song "So Pure".

VeeReeDavJCap81
Mar 23rd, 2005, 07:02 AM
Speaking of Alanis. What happened to all the 90's rockers chicks??? They were all great. Alanis, Jewel, Sheryl Crow, Paula Cole, Cardigans, Hole.

Hot 92 Jamz
Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:08 PM
I think that part of the problem for Alanis and other artists who have a major successful album is that a lot of fans are so used to one particular sound or style from them that they have a hard time accepting any kind of new or different direction from them. I don't think the more recent albums by Alanis are any less 'real' they are just a reflection of a different time in her life that is not as angry or raw - It's a more mature sound. I think a lot of people just expect Alanis to keep doing Jagged Little Pill part 2, 3, etc. and that just isn't realistic. If she did get more promotion behind her newer music, I think she would have had more success with them than she has achieved.

That's exactly it. Alanis changed but so did her some of her audience, unfortunately. The attention spans of many commercial music fans is at an all-time low so it's very difficult to imagine anyone having the career longevity of a Michael Jackson or Madonna. I know their respective stars have faded but collectively they've still been recording much longer and have had some form of staying power that's much longer than most recording acts of the past 10 years.