PDA

View Full Version : Spanish coach was penalized for racist comments

Denise4925
Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:12 PM
Aragones criticizes fine
Spanish coach was penalized for racist comments
Posted: Wednesday March 2, 2005 2:51PM; Updated: Wednesday March 2, 2005 3:32PM

This isn't the first time the fiery Aragones has made a controversial comment.

MADRID, Spain (AP) -- Spain coach Luis Aragones criticized the Spanish soccer federation for fining him for racist comments.

Aragones was fined €3,000 ($3,940) on Tuesday for a comment about Arsenal striker Thierry Henry and an outburst regarding Britain's colonial past, but the federation absolved him of racism.

"I'm not a racist and I've never lacked sporting decorum. I've got three or four medals for sporting merit ... Maybe I lost control of my tongue," Aragones was quoted as saying by newspaper El Pais on Wednesday.

The punishment was far below the maximum penalty -- suspension of his coaching license or a fine of €30,000 ($39,400).

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, who was fined £15,000 pounds ($28,600) in December for accusing Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy of cheating, criticized the leniency of the fine.

"You compare his fine and my fine, and if you consider his was for racist abuse, then you seem to get away with it more in Spain than you should," Wenger said. "He shouldn't have said what he said, and how much money is enough, I don't know. But it doesn't look a big punishment."

Kick It Out, British soccer's anti-racism campaign, also criticized the fine.

"We expected very little from the Spanish Football Association and are not surprised by this pitiful fine," Kick It Out spokesman Leon Mann said. "Imagine what would have happened if [England coach] Sven-Goran Eriksson had come out and said the same."

Aragones made a racist remark about Henry, who is black, during a national team training session before a World Cup qualifying match against Belgium in October. The remark was apparently meant to motivate forward Jose Antonio Reyes, a teammate of Henry's at Arsenal.

The coach later apologized for the remark.

A month later, Aragones attacked Britain's colonial past in a confrontation with British journalists before his team's friendly match against England on Nov. 17. Aragones' conduct was linked to racist taunting by spectators of England's black players at the game, which led FIFA to fine the federation €65,000 ($85,337) a month later.

Since then, there have been several instances of racist abuse at Spanish league games. On Wednesday, Deportivo La Coruña became the fifth team to be fined, following Albacete, Getafe, Malaga and Atlético Madrid.

Spain's Anti-Violence Commission, which initiated the case against Aragones by requiring the federation to open disciplinary charges into his conduct, must now ratify the federation's decision. The commission won't announce its decision until next week, news agency Europa Press reported.

Aragones has 10 days to appeal, and the commission can also appeal.

Alberto Florez, president of the federation's competition committee, which dealt with Aragones' case, said no one in the committee felt Aragones was a racist nor had "acted in a racist way."

"A fine, the highest we could apply, is sufficient punishment. Suspension would have been a bit exaggerated," Florez was quoted as saying by sports daily Marca.

The federation began its investigation through a Spanish lawyer at the end of the year, and said Tuesday it was "evident" that Aragones' comments "lacked racist character" but said they "did not tally with the obligations of the position he holds."

It said the outburst about England in November "also supposes an increase in the unfortunate nature of his conduct."

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

DunkMachine
Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:37 PM
You should have heard his excuses in one of his interviews. Note that I'm slightly paraphrazing here: "I'm not racist I've had 3 blacks over at my house".

Black Mamba.
Mar 4th, 2005, 12:52 AM
You should have heard his excuses in one of his interviews. Note that I'm slightly paraphrazing here: "I'm not racist I've had 3 blacks over at my house".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love those "I'm not racist because I have Black friends" excuses.

Rocketta
Mar 4th, 2005, 01:04 AM
They never tell what he said exactly so people can decide for themselves????

Denise4925
Mar 4th, 2005, 01:45 AM
I noticed that.

Justeenium
Mar 4th, 2005, 01:50 AM

I love those "I'm not racist because I have Black friends" excuses.

you do realize blacks are more likely to be racist than whites don't you?

Denise4925
Mar 4th, 2005, 01:52 AM
:haha: :haha:

Black Mamba.
Mar 4th, 2005, 02:01 AM

Hulet
Mar 4th, 2005, 02:05 AM
During practice, he said to one of the Spanish players, "You tell that black shit that you are better than him and tell him I said so." He was refering to Theirry Henry, who is ofcouse Black, but anything but shit.

The penality is a joke.

Mrs. Peel
Mar 4th, 2005, 02:37 AM
One question Justineadnauseaum...are you from Chicago? :unsure:

PhoenixStorm
Mar 4th, 2005, 03:18 AM

Wow, witness ignorance in its purest form. He makes blanket generalizations and offers no subtantial evidence to support his assertion.:tape:

Denise4925
Mar 4th, 2005, 04:51 AM
and thanx for demonstrating that they're more likely to be ignorant as well

:yeah:
Oh, all blacks are more likely than whites to be ignorant as well??!!

:yeah: Thanks for proving my point when I laughed at your initial statement about blacks being more likely to be racist. Good job. :lol: Idiot.