PDA

View Full Version : Yeah! Usher buys stake in Cleveland Cavs

Hot 92 Jamz
Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:17 PM
http://cdn-channels.netscape.com/g/i/attribution/logos/entertainmentweekly.gif

Yeah! Usher buys stake in Cleveland Cavs

Gary Susman

LeBron James is no longer the only superstar affiliated with the Cleveland Cavaliers. On Tuesday, the NBA gave its approval for the team's sale to a new group of owners, one of whom is Usher. It's not clear how much money Usher ponied up (the total purchase price was $375 million) or what percentage his share represents (the new majority owner is Quicken Loans founder Dan Gilbert). But Usher, attending a Cleveland press conference with his new partners, promised to be heavily involved in the team's future.

The Grammy-winning R&B hitmaker, who becomes the third pop star to own a large stake in an NBA team (Jay-Z is part owner of the New Jersey Nets, and Nelly owns a piece of the Charlotte Bobcats), said he wanted to ''turn this thing up a notch if we can.'' He said he planned to be involved in the entertainment aspect of games, would help to book acts in Gund Arena when the team's not playing there, and serve as a community liaison. He also promised to attend plenty of home games, warning reporters that he gets very emotional watching basketball. ''I look for Cleveland to be my home away from home,'' he said.