PDA

View Full Version : What is people's problem with Renee Zellweger? I really don't get it

shap_half
Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:17 AM
I find this woman to be a fantastic actress, and apparently so does the movie industry. She's been nominated for Oscars, BAFTAs, Independent Spirit Awards, BFCAs, Critics' Awards, etc. etc. a hundred times over as well as win a few. Yet people still go on and on about how she can't act or whatever else. I really don't understand how people can't recognize this woman's talent.

Cariaoke
Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:29 AM
Well, can you really have an objective opinion re: your avatar? :) I kid, I kid.

I ADORE Renee in the Bridget Jones series... I could watch her for days in that role.

I adored her in Chicago, even have the DVD. I even liked her in "Down With Love".

But I can't shake her performance in her earlier roles like Jerry Maguire and The Bachelor... all she did was pout, make faces and remember her lines and bam she's an actress. I didn't feel EMOTION from her in those roles. "You had me at hello" <-- er, no you didn't... where's my damn refund? :fiery: SHOW ME THE MONEY! When she does that it's more annoying than endearing.

I watched Cold Mountain and didn't even make it to her part in the film. It bored me to fucking tears! So, I really have no comment on her performance in that film.

This is the problem with Hollywood... there's one hot person who gets nominated for Oscars a few times and suddenly they're deemed the next big thing. She doesn't live up to the hype. There are actresses who hardly get any roles because they are too old, the wrong race, etc. but she blew up.

It's perhaps unfair for Renee to get the backlash of the "It" girl syndrome but the status quo scenario is getting tired. The Oscars of the past few years have shaken up the status quo so maybe the backlash will end.

~{X}~
Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:30 AM
I don't have a problem with her. At the Oscar's though I am not sure. I don't like her with dark her, and I think she is a bit TOO thin. I like her with blonde hair and maybe another 5-10 pounds and she would be perfect. I agree she is a great actress :D

BUBI
Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:38 AM
I think she is very average actress. She should never get any awards.

shap_half
Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:38 AM
Renee Zellweger has never really been an 'it' girl. She lives a very quiet existence and really just does press when her movies are coming out. She even recently decided to take a year off from making films just to focus on living her life.

If you watch some of her older films (the independent ones) you'll see just how great she is an actress. She shows incredibly range in emotion and character development in all her roles that you really don't see from most actresses today.

I suggest you watch A Whole Wide World (it's a period piece starring Vincent D'Onofrio where she plays his love interest), One True Thing (where she plays the daughter of a dying Meryl Streep), and Empire Records (where she plays a music store employee with very loose morals).

I know that my avatar insinuates (very strongly) how big a fan I am of her, but it's her acting ability that's really made me a big supporter of Renee. I've almost all the DVDs of movies she's done and many of them are really very well made, the roles are both challenging and interesting, and her acting is almost always superb. She's been honored so many times for many different roles that I really feel she's shown what an incredble actress she is.

even her Jerry McGuire performance have earned her a Best Supporting Actress SAG nomination, which speaks a lot of her talent. Remember that a SAG nomination and award are voted in by other actors so they probably have a better guage of what deserves these acting nominations over others.

F-R-E-A-K
Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:42 AM
I love RENEE! :hearts: She's my favourite actress :kiss:

I loved her at the oscars :hearts: She looks stunning with the Red dress and dark ahir :drool: :lick: Her weight is perfect atm :drool:

Renee :kiss: :hearts: :drool: :lick: :bounce:

Huntress555
Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:15 AM
I love her in Bridget Jones....! She does that extremely well....! :D

smarties
Mar 2nd, 2005, 10:44 PM
My problem is that she always looks like she just suck on a lemon :lol:

moon
Mar 2nd, 2005, 10:47 PM
I thought she was good in Cold Mountain, but pretty average in the other stuff I've seen her in. Likeable in some cases, but I wouldn't put her above average actingwise.

Justeenium
Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:17 AM
my high school tennis coach dated her.
sorry no other details

shap_half
Mar 4th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Further. Just to attest to her greatness, Renee Zellweger is only the 11th Actress to receive 3 or more consecutive acting Oscar nominations.

CC
Mar 4th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Sweetie pie honey bunch, I think it's called preference.

Becool
Mar 4th, 2005, 10:42 PM
I think her acting is overrated.. There's nothing special on it, and so, she's nominated for a lot of stuffs.. But that's just me.

But she was very pretty at the Oscars this year :yeah:

Josh B.
Mar 4th, 2005, 10:51 PM
She is a very good actress, has the looks too,.
I like her, i dont know what peoples problems are though!!

spyro
Mar 5th, 2005, 12:46 AM
She's just so different lately (since Chicago, if i'm not wrong) ... Her face ?

Joana
Mar 5th, 2005, 12:53 AM
Well, I don't know how anyone can doubt that Jodie Foster is the most amazing actress that ever lived, but hey, that's just me. ;) :p

Hayato
Mar 5th, 2005, 12:57 AM
She's a great actress :)

PaulieM
Mar 5th, 2005, 04:58 AM
i like her, and i think she's pretty but i don't think she's as fabulously beautiful as some people make her out to be, and sometimes she's so skinny it's scary. as for her acting, the only movies i've seen her in were bridget jones' diary and chicago. she was good in both of them.

vertigo
Mar 5th, 2005, 10:56 AM
I like her in interviews etc. she seems quirky and intelligent. However, I don't like her recent choice of movie roles, dull dull dull. And she's too thin. A really bad example to any viewers.

n.b. I like her Gina in 'Empire Records' and 'Nurse Betty'.

wateva
Mar 5th, 2005, 01:30 PM
i love her in bridget!!!

Kart
Mar 7th, 2005, 09:47 PM
I've rethought my views on Renee Zellweger recently after watching Cold Mountain.

She played her part well.

So she probably has some talent but frankly she does not match the hype by any means.

DunkMachine
Mar 7th, 2005, 10:24 PM
I started liking Zellweger when she stopped being anorexic.

Infiniti2001
Mar 7th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Actually I'd like to know what is your problem with people who are not impressed Renee Zellweger? :shrug: To me she's an okay actor, nothing to shout about-- and I just wish she'd stop making those faces :eek: :lol:

LeRoy.
Mar 8th, 2005, 01:17 AM
To me she's an okay actor, nothing to short about-- and I just wish she'd stop making those faces :eek: :lol:

I agree. Why do some people think that making faces is "good acting" ?

Martian KC
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:46 AM
I don't have a problem with her per se, but her being recognised for Cold Mountain is utter crap. That was her worst performance.

Jakeev
Mar 8th, 2005, 07:46 AM
I'm not sure but I think you are making more into it than what really exists.

Renee is a pretty respected actress and she although she may not be as media hyped as say her former Chicago costar, Catherine Zeta Jones, she is still one of the best actresses out there.

Renee is doing just fine and frankly I think other actors get more negative publicity than she does.

CC
Mar 8th, 2005, 10:33 PM
I don't have a problem with her per se, but her being recognised for Cold Mountain is utter crap. That was her worst performance.

I kind of agree that she gets too much praise for her performance in Cold Mountain, but the thing is, she stood out in a somewhat unimpressive love story. Nicole was ok, Jude's accent wasn't believable enough, the story dragged, and the ending was bad. Renee injected a little life into the story and I think that is what gets her ratings for that character.

I do like her as Bridget Jones though.

Circe
Mar 9th, 2005, 05:23 PM
well i dont think she can act and her expressions - both of them - get on my nerves. but i don't really have a problem with her, that's just what i think, y'know? preference, as CC said.