PDA

View Full Version : Beyonce singing in french ??

Seles_Beckham
Feb 28th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Did you saw Beyonce singing in french at the oscars ?? She did a great job singing but it was NOT in french. I do speak french and I did not understand a word of what she was singing. I talked with my friends who speak french and no one understand what she was singing.

kabuki
Feb 28th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Maybe it was North American (Canadian) French? :p

silverwhite
Feb 28th, 2005, 03:30 PM
She totally butchered the pronunciation of the song. :lol:

Giuliano
Feb 28th, 2005, 03:32 PM
I am French. I only saw her for a few seconds in the news. She was speaking French, although with an American English accent, but that's forgivable, isn't it?

Ekkekko
Feb 28th, 2005, 03:40 PM
american accented french? :shrug: can't blame her can we :D

lizchris
Feb 28th, 2005, 04:41 PM
You called what she did last night singing in French?

harloo
Feb 28th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Of course someone who doesn't speak French is not going to sing it like someone who is actually French. Cmon people, you guys are grasping at straws. Beyonce did a good job last night. I was suprised how professional she was during her performances.

Giuliano
Feb 28th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Do you speak French?

Martian Jeza
Feb 28th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Congrats Beyonce : Keep on going with one of the most beautifull language in the world :yeah:

Giuliano
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Bah, elle a fait un effort (et pourtant, je jure que je ne suis pas fan). Je n'ai vu qu'un extrait de trois secondes, il faut dire.

Venus_Serena
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:01 PM
she just destroyed the song! My first language is french and I did not understand anything except the word *night*! Still a great effort;)

Martian Jeza
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Bah, elle a fait un effort (et pourtant, je jure que je ne suis pas fan). Je n'ai vu qu'un extrait de trois secondes, il faut dire.

Cela me fait plaisir de voir des stars Américaines chanter en Français : Beaucoup devraient en prendre de la graine : La langue Française est une langue très riche et magnifique :worship: En même temps, elle pourrait aussi apprendre un peu le Français : Une pierre deux coups comme l'on dit :worship:

harloo
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:07 PM
People are not grasping at straw... It was just horrible. ;) She totally butchered _every_ word of the song.

If Beyonce not pronouncing her French correctly during the song bothers people so much then they must have very little to worry about in life. LOL:lol:

harloo
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Is there anything to suggest it bothered any of us ;) She made an effort to sing in French so thats good, but it doesnt change the fact that she destroyed the song. ;)

Oh it bothered you so don't deny it. ;) I will agree that she destroyed the song, but it was a good effort. :lol:

smarties
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:46 PM
She didn't really have the choice to sing it and altought it was for the most part not understandable, she has such a great voice that it kind of prevented it to be a total mess. Makes you wonder however, why they didn't give the little boy who sings it so well in the movie, a chance to perform at the oscars!!!???

Seles_Beckham
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:47 PM
I am just saying that I did not understand a word of what she was singing. She is a gret singer.

Tylane
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:58 PM

Complètement d'accord, elle a essayé (et je peux pas l'encadrer pourtant ! lol)

LTA Tour
Feb 28th, 2005, 07:49 PM
I thought Beyonce did amazingly well. Her pronounciation was off but as she's not a native french speaker and a week ago didn't know the words to all 3 songs, I thought she was great.

Reports are that Beyonce was sick all last week and she couldn't practice her performances because her voice wasn't strong enough. Given that, I think she did an amazing professional job to be able to come on and sing 3 songs who were previously unfamiliar to her. Singing 3 songs was a bit much though but I think it's safe to say that no one can doubt Beyonce's vocal ability now.

manu32
Feb 28th, 2005, 08:02 PM
la chanson est pas vraiment son style en plus.....
moins ridicule que santana banderas.....le massacre......

Dahveed
Feb 28th, 2005, 10:18 PM
What did she sing? And why in French?

Wiggly
Mar 1st, 2005, 12:35 AM
Good effort but I was sure she was speaking in English-Deutch-Swedish :confused:

Sam L
Mar 1st, 2005, 12:48 AM
Did you saw Beyonce singing in french at the oscars ?? She did a great job singing but it was NOT in french. I do speak french and I did not understand a word of what she was singing. I talked with my friends who speak french and no one understand what she was singing.
:haha:

That's what you get when you don't get the real singers of songs to perform.

Seriously, they should dump this idea. Get the real performers of the songs in the movies or soundtracks to perform. That's it.

Sam L
Mar 1st, 2005, 12:48 AM
Oh it bothered you so don't deny it. ;) I will agree that she destroyed the song, but it was a good effort. :lol:
:haha:

Becool
Mar 1st, 2005, 01:28 AM
Beyonce did a great job. I think Beyonce is much more 'listenable' then Minnie Driver

Denise4925
Mar 1st, 2005, 01:31 AM
I am French. I only saw her for a few seconds in the news. She was speaking French, although with an American English accent, but that's forgivable, isn't it?
:) I think so, because it was sung so beautifully, don't you agree?

Denise4925
Mar 1st, 2005, 01:38 AM
Cela me fait plaisir de voir des stars Américaines chanter en Français : Beaucoup devraient en prendre de la graine : La langue Française est une langue très riche et magnifique :worship: En même temps, elle pourrait aussi apprendre un peu le Français : Une pierre deux coups comme l'on dit :worship:
That's very nice of you to say and frankly I'm surprised. But, maybe she didn't have time to learn it better. A coach probably could have helped. But, it sounded beautiful.

selking
Mar 1st, 2005, 01:49 AM
there shoudldn't be any foreign languages at the oscars.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Mar 1st, 2005, 02:12 AM
I thought Beyonce did amazingly well. Her pronounciation was off but as she's not a native french speaker and a week ago didn't know the words to all 3 songs, I thought she was great.

Reports are that Beyonce was sick all last week and she couldn't practice her performances because her voice wasn't strong enough. Given that, I think she did an amazing professional job to be able to come on and sing 3 songs who were previously unfamiliar to her. Singing 3 songs was a bit much though but I think it's safe to say that no one can doubt Beyonce's vocal ability now.

You would say that, after our little argument on msn :p

Anyways, I only saw the first 2 performances and I thought Beyonce looked stunning and sang very well. (What did she wear for her third performance???)

Havok
Mar 1st, 2005, 02:16 AM
She sucked, destroyed the language (and I'm not too particularly fond of it so this means a lot coming from me :p) and she shouldn't have attempted it.

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 1st, 2005, 02:16 AM
Well like everyone ehre i didn't understand much of the song. Voice was good though!

Why not ask Celine, or any french singer?

bigshow21
Mar 1st, 2005, 02:18 AM
I thought she did a great job. Who cares about the pronounciations, did you see those beautiful dresses and all her different hair styles?? That was elegence at its best!!! Great job Beyonce!

XaDavK_Kapri
Mar 1st, 2005, 02:38 AM
The pronounciation was HORRIBLE :lol: But it was kinda cute :)

alexusjonesfan
Mar 1st, 2005, 02:46 AM
my French sucks and it was still painful for me to hear :crying2: Why was she singing any of the songs last night anyway?

Venus_Serena
Mar 1st, 2005, 02:51 AM
Well like everyone ehre i didn't understand much of the song. Voice was good though!

Why not ask Celine, or any french singer?

They should have asked *not sure about my verb* to Celine, standing ovation for sure;)

Dominic
Mar 1st, 2005, 03:08 AM
Yeah it was aweful, French is my first language and I understood about 4 words in the song. I think she didnt get what the french accent is like, it seems like she was trying to speak with kind of a spanish accent, mixed up with her american accent it was really bad. But she's still gorgeous and she has a beautiful voice.

Becool
Mar 1st, 2005, 03:13 AM
(What did she wear for her third performance???)

This
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050228/capt.kdk39602280445.oscars_kdk396.jpg

She looked much more stunning in her third performance. Much more natural without the wig, and gorgeous dress too

angele87
Mar 1st, 2005, 03:17 AM
As a native french speaker I was horrified at Beyonce's singing last night :o Agree with everything that's been said here, she's a great singer, she gave it her best, etc... but that doesn't change the fact that it sounded horrible. There's absolutely no reason why somebody who actually speaks french couldn't sing that song. French songs are so beautiful and millions of people could of learned that last night if they had gotten the right person to sing it.

Ekkekko
Mar 1st, 2005, 03:18 AM
This
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050228/capt.kdk39602280445.oscars_kdk396.jpg

She looked much more stunning in her third performance. Much more natural without the wig, and gorgeous dress too

she does look stunning in this :)

Huntress555
Mar 1st, 2005, 03:58 AM
I don't speak french or anything, and I have no idea how she was supposed to say what or whateva, but I think she still sounded beatiful, her vioce is beautiful!!! And she always looks stunning, but I still don't like her that much lol

LTA Tour
Mar 1st, 2005, 04:04 AM
I don't speak french or anything, and I have no idea how she was supposed to say what or whateva, but I think she still sounded beatiful, her vioce is beautiful!!! And she always looks stunning, but I still don't like her that much lol

Exactly. I had never heard that song before and seeing as I don't speak French I had no idea her pronounciation was so bad but given that, there was something hauntingly beautiful about her performance. Her voice was great and she did the best she could, for a non french speaking audience like myself I don't think she did the song any harm, quite the contrary actually.

TM
Mar 1st, 2005, 04:39 AM
I live in Canada, I understand some French because I had to learn it growing up but I'm no French Canadien and I knew....totally knew French people around the world we're very confused and angry I bet. I thought it was hilarious! :haha: :yeah: Beyoncé singing in French?! --HA! :lol:

Tylane
Mar 1st, 2005, 09:03 AM
Can we listen to that somewhere ? On kazaa ??

Beat
Mar 1st, 2005, 09:37 AM
i saw it and though beyonce is very professional bordering on the sterile, her french pronounciation made me laugh.

dahveed, i think it was a song from les choristes.

lilly
Mar 1st, 2005, 11:31 AM
nice to know it didn't get unnoticed. she sang great, but I do hope she doesn't think she was close to French. cause she wasn't. 26586852 miles away from it. looked :hearts: though!

Becool
Mar 1st, 2005, 11:35 AM
Seriously, for those who don't speak French, it sounded great.
Like me for example, I think it was one of the best performances yesterday. Much more entertaining, then Antonio Banderas, who sang a song in his native language, and GOD he spoiled the whole song. :rolleyes:

Chunchun
Mar 1st, 2005, 11:36 AM
:cool: :hearts: :D

Hot 92 Jamz
Mar 1st, 2005, 11:49 AM
I don't know who sang the song in the film but it would've been great if they got that person to perform "Vois Sur Ton Chemin" on the show. I didn't see it so I can't comment on how Beyonce did but in all fairness, many singers have accents when they sing in other languages. :)

"Vois Sur Ton Chemin" (snippet) (http://mfile.akamai.com/3171/wm2/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/uswm2/836/542836_1_05.asx)

Tylane
Mar 1st, 2005, 12:56 PM
It's a young french actor who sang this song in the movie, he's 14, Jean-Bpatiste Maunier, and has a beautiful voice.

silverwhite
Mar 1st, 2005, 02:01 PM
la chanson est pas vraiment son style en plus.....

Exactly! I didn't really like it because I watched the film and in it, the song was performed much better. The French was much more fluent (duh) and the choral sound fitted the song more.

Beyonce is a good singer, but her singing a choral song was not appropriate.

"Topaz"
Mar 1st, 2005, 05:20 PM
Well, I speak both French and English, and I was confused. It was like an opera where usually the sound is beautiful while you don't understand anything. At times, I did focus and caught a few recognizable words. Heck, sometimes I even have problem understanding some (US) rap songs at first. :)

Denise4925
Mar 1st, 2005, 05:25 PM
Isn't it rude to be speaking in a different language on an english speaking message board? It's like speaking a different language to someone in a room of people who don't speak that language. I think if you want to speak in a different language to others who only understand, why don't you just PM? Otherwise those of us who don't speak the language have to go to a translation site and then the translation is still not accurate and doesn't pick up on the nuances of the language, so we're still missing out. I for one would like to hear your comments and be able to reply. Otherwise what's the point of posting?

turt
Mar 1st, 2005, 06:27 PM
Denise, the thread is about Beyoncé singing in French, so I don't think it's rude to speak French in such a thread, n'est-ce pas? ;)

Denise4925
Mar 1st, 2005, 06:39 PM
Denise, the thread is about Beyoncé singing in French, so I don't think it's rude to speak French in such a thread, n'est-ce pas? ;)
No. The thread starter didn't start the thread in French. If you're going to speak in French, then provide a translation for those of us who do not speak it.

alexusjonesfan
Mar 1st, 2005, 06:44 PM
Isn't it rude to be speaking in a different language on an english speaking message board? It's like speaking a different language to someone in a room of people who don't speak that language. I think if you want to speak in a different language to others who only understand, why don't you just PM? Otherwise those of us who don't speak the language have to go to a translation site and then the translation is still not accurate and doesn't pick up on the nuances of the language, so we're still missing out. I for one would like to hear your comments and be able to reply. Otherwise what's the point of posting?

Sheesh, use babelfish if you're so paranoid about missing out on something vital posted in another language or just ignore it without getting your panties in a bunch :rolleyes: and what's really rude is to butcher a song by not even pronouncing the words right just so you can be on stage one more friggin' time.

alexusjonesfan
Mar 1st, 2005, 06:48 PM
No. The thread starter didn't start the thread in French. If you're going to speak in French, then provide a translation for those of us who do not speak it.

Perhaps you should provide us with a garbage-to-english translation for all of your posts as well :)

Denise4925
Mar 1st, 2005, 06:53 PM
Sheesh, use babelfish if you're so paranoid about missing out on something vital posted in another language or just ignore it without getting your panties in a bunch :rolleyes: and what's really rude is to butcher a song by not even pronouncing the words right just so you can be on stage one more friggin' time.
Did you read my post carefully or did you have a hard time comprehending what I said. Maybe you should get babelfish. One more time for the Autistic :retard:, this is a message board where people post comments to get feedback and have a conversation, n'est ce pas?? In order to participate in the conversation, we need to understand each other and therefore, when I do go to a translation site to translate, e.g. babelfish, it doesn't always translate accurately and even when it does, it doesn't always catch the nuances of the language, so you're left with this garbled translation which really doesn't make enough sense to comment on.

I'm not paranoid at all, I was just wondering if anyone besides you were raised with better manners. :wavey:

Denise4925
Mar 1st, 2005, 06:53 PM
Perhaps you should provide us with a garbage-to-english translation for all of your posts as well :)
After you. :)

Crazy Canuck
Mar 1st, 2005, 06:57 PM
I blame whoever decided it would be a great idea to have Beyonce never leave stage the entire night. There was no reason they couldn't have gotten a talented French vocalist to perform the song. I have no doubt that Beyonce worked really hard and did the best that she possibly could. She can't help it if the organizes are inconsiderate boneheads.

Giuliano
Mar 1st, 2005, 07:01 PM
I wonder why they didn't get the boy who sings it in the movie (I didn't see it). Anyway, French-speaking people here are picky. I don't usually listen to Beyoncé's music but at least she made the effort and I could understand what she was saying (and again, I didn't see the movie). Now, if you tell me she got paid an awful lot of money for this...

alexusjonesfan
Mar 1st, 2005, 07:09 PM
Did you read my post carefully or did you have a hard time comprehending what I said. Maybe you should get babelfish. One more time for the Autistic :retard:,

Spare me the sanctimony thanks. Speak to me about manners when someone posts once in a language you don't understand and then go and make fun of autism? I have a brother who's autistic and I find that deeply offensive. If you're going to say anything say it to me.

this is a message board where people post comments to get feedback and have a conversation, n'est ce pas?? In order to participate in the conversation, we need to understand each other and therefore, when I do go to a translation site to translate, e.g. babelfish, it doesn't always translate accurately and even when it does, it doesn't always catch the nuances of the language, so you're left with this garbled translation which really doesn't make enough sense to comment on.

Gee, and wouldn't it help solve the confusion if you just asked what it meant instead of ranting about some perceived impropriety? Will you need clarification every time someone posts an 'udachi' or a 'vamos' too? Beware of the whole board then, God knows some poster may unknowingly disrupt the 'communication' by using non-English words.

I'm not paranoid at all, I was just wondering if anyone besides you were raised with better manners. :wavey:

no sorry, my parents were both too busy learning multiple languages to ever teach me manners.

On to my ignore list you go :wavey:

Denise4925
Mar 1st, 2005, 07:15 PM
Spare me the sanctimony thanks. Speak to me about manners when someone posts once in a language you don't understand and then go and make fun of autism? I have a brother who's autistic and I find that deeply offensive. If you're going to say anything say it to me.

Okay, sorry my bad. "One more time for the "retarded". Is that better? :)

Gee, and wouldn't it help solve the confusion if you just asked what it meant instead of ranting about some perceived impropriety? Will you need clarification every time someone posts an 'udachi' or a 'vamos' too? Beware of the whole board then, God knows some poster may unknowingly disrupt the 'communication' by using non-English words.

Whatever, obviously the point went over your head.

Get angry much? :rolleyes:

no sorry, my parents were both too busy learning multiple languages to ever teach me manners.

It shows. :rolleyes: They must be very proud. :)

On to my ignore list you go :wavey:

Thank God. :lol: :wavey:

Cariaoke
Mar 1st, 2005, 09:15 PM
I find it interesting that people run to the defense of someone posting in English that's not a native speaker but some of these same people want to tear Beyoncé down for attempting to sing in French, when it's not her first language. :)

DemWilliamsGulls
Mar 1st, 2005, 10:29 PM
Of course someone who doesn't speak French is not going to sing it like someone who is actually French. Cmon people, you guys are grasping at straws. Beyonce did a good job last night. I was suprised how professional she was during her performances.

My words exactly...