PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been to Venice in the summer?

~Rachel~
Feb 27th, 2005, 03:23 PM
My family and I are thinking of going over there this summer in our caravan :cool: I know that Venice gets VERY busy in the summer (we'd be going in mid-July) so I was wondering whether the amount of people there actually spoils it a bit and whether getting into the city itself becomes a problem?

Any other general bits a advice would be very welcome :D

Andy_
Feb 27th, 2005, 04:19 PM
My family and I are thinking of going over there this summer in our caravan :cool: I know that Venice gets VERY busy in the summer (we'd be going in mid-July) so I was wondering whether the amount of people there actually spoils it a bit and whether getting into the city itself becomes a problem?

Any other general bits a advice would be very welcome :D

Hi, Rachel! Here's an Italian voice for you... :p Let me see, I've only been to Venice once, and it was a good few years ago, and at the beginning of August, so not far from the period you're probably going to choose with your family.
It is true that Venice tends to be very crowded in the summer, yet it's true that Venice can be pretty crowded all year round. The thing with summer days is that with the high temperatures, the intense humidity and the high density of tourists presence, you can find it a bit harder to really enjoy the place, as you could - say - in mid-Spring, or early Fall.
Getting in the city won't probably be a big issue... depending on how you're travelling (you might be flying in, or even driving all the way through a nice slice of Europe!) you're going to have multiple options.
Actually, if you're coming by car, finding accommodation just outside Venice could be cheaper and not too unconvenient. You can drive right to the 'entrance' to the city, and park in a big multi-story lot. Of course you'd be missing on part of the city charm at night, but you'd definitely be saving some money. If you're flying, staying in Venice becomes a must, so I suggest that you start looking for accommodation quite early.
Be ready to walk a lot, that's the best way to really enjoy Venice and its little streets and alleys (calle), the small squares (campi), though of course the use of the ferry along the Canal Grande is recommended, especially to get quickly to places, and to get a general view of the city from the water.
Be sure you don't miss Murano - where they make impressive things with glass - and the whole 'laguna'... I admit I'm not the biggest fan of Venice (I like other areas of my country better) but I've been as objective as I possibly could!

Feel free to ask for more info, or in case you need help with Italian for any reason, I'll be around :wavey:

Giuliano
Feb 27th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Hmm yes, I went there about 10/15 times (I lived in Padua, for about 6 months) and there were too many tourists for my liking after, say, 10. What I did is go there at 5 in the morning. I know this is early but I got to see the city in a totally different way.

Andy_
Feb 27th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Hmm yes, I went there about 10/15 times (I lived in Padua, for about 6 months) and there were too many tourists for my liking after, say, 10. What I did is go there at 5 in the morning. I know this is early but I got to see the city in a totally different way.

Julien!! :D I hadn't seen you in ages!! Come stai? Tutto bene? Spero proprio di sì!! :hug:

Giuliano
Feb 27th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Ciao Andy!
Si, tutto bene. Sono tornato in Francia adesso e non avevo l'Internet a casa da mesi (i soldi mancavano un po ;)). Adesso, ho trovato lavoro. Farò la guida in una cantina di champagne fra poco (in inglese ed italiano). Dunque, ho potuto prendere Internet a casa di nuovo. Ci sarò più regularmente da oggi. Magari ti chiederò se ho problemi con qualche termine italiano.

E tu come stai? Tutto bene?

henmanhill
Feb 27th, 2005, 05:25 PM
You should try Venice in the Winter. I went last January. It was cold but great for walking and all the tourist sites were, well, tourist free! It's an amazing place, unique and incredibly beautiful. The down side, apart form the heat and the crowds if you're going in Summer, is that it is incredibly expensive - especailly if you go anywhere remotely touristy. We had lunch in Harry's Bar as a birthday treat and it was £120 for one, 1 course meal and one, 2 course meal plus a couple of glasses of wine. Two v small coffees and 2 small and rather dull cakes in a cafe on St Marks Sq came to £25. I'm not complaining - just saying be careful if you are hoping to do this on anything other than a fairly substantial budget.

_LuCaS_
Feb 27th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Venice rocks :) :worship:

Darop.
Feb 27th, 2005, 06:25 PM
I've only been there twice :o once in fall, and once in june, it wasn't THAT crowded in June, I enjoyed it ;)

~Rachel~
Mar 1st, 2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks y'all for your comments :wavey:

Andy, we'll be driving there from England :yawn: because we'll be taking our caravan. If we go we'll probs stay on that long peninsula, lol I've forgotton the name :banghead: so we will be travelling into Venice by boat hopefully :)

Andy_
Mar 1st, 2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks y'all for your comments :wavey:

Andy, we'll be driving there from England :yawn: because we'll be taking our caravan. If we go we'll probs stay on that long peninsula, lol I've forgotton the name :banghead: so we will be travelling into Venice by boat hopefully :)

Well, that's great then, you don't need to look for accommodation within the city and you're more free :) I think there's also a train connecting Mestre - the closest city on the peninsula... with Venice, which should take a mere 15 minutes or so... and from the station, I guess you have ferries (or gondolas, but they're oh so expensive :scared: )