PDA

View Full Version : Powell criticises Iraq troop levels and rift with Europe

Infiniti2001
Feb 26th, 2005, 07:45 PM
By Robin Gedye
(Filed: 26/02/2005)
Colin Powell, the former US secretary of state, has for the first time publicly criticised troops levels in Iraq and spoken of the rifts between himself and Donald Rumsfeld, the defence secretary, that undermined his role as architect of American foreign policy.
Mr Powell, in his first interview since resigning last November, also told The Telegraph of his "dismay" at the deterioration in relations between America and Europe and of his "disappointment" with France.

While holding back from blaming Mr Rumsfeld by name for the problems that eventually persuaded him to resign, Mr Powell showed that much of the innuendo and leaks surrounding his volatile relationship with the defence secretary had been well-founded.
Admitting that Mr Rumsfeld's controversial plan to fight the war with limited troop numbers had been an outstanding success, Mr Powell said the "nation building" that followed had been deeply flawed.
There had been "enough troops for war but not for peace, for establishing order. My own preference would have been for more forces after the conflict."
Mr Powell said he had warned President George W Bush over dinner in August 2002 that the problem with Iraq was not going to be the invasion but what followed.
He told him: "This place will crack like a goblet and it will be a problem to pick up the bits. It was on this basis that he decided to let me see if we could find a United Nations solution to this."
Mr Powell told Charles Moore, the former editor of The Telegraph who conducted the interview outside Washington, that he regretted the fall-out with Europe over the Iraq war.
He also found Mr Rumsfeld's reference to "New Europe" and "Old Europe" unfortunate.
"I never used the phrase," he said. "It just wasn't a useful construct. I don't think the president ever used it.
"We've got a lot more work to do with European public opinion."

© Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2005.

Keep talk Colin :lol: :tape:

Kabezya
Feb 26th, 2005, 10:11 PM
I'm seriously disappointed with Mr. Powell. It's all fine and dandy for him to make remarks now after the fact but he lost my respect by simply joining this administration let alone his actions and words throughout his time with the Bush administration.

Infiniti2001
Feb 26th, 2005, 10:33 PM
I'm seriously disappointed with Mr. Powell. It's all fine and dandy for him to make remarks now after the fact but he lost my respect by simply joining this administration let alone his actions and words throughout his time with the Bush administration.

Oh heck I agree, but I'm still waiting to hear more from him. He just strikes me like someone who is holding so much inside, and is dying to spill his guts :eek:

Kabezya
Feb 26th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Oh heck I agree, but I'm still waiting to hear more from him. He just strikes me like someone who is holding so much inside, and is dying to spill his guts :eek:

I definitely agree on that. I think he held too much inside from the beginning and none of that sits well with him. I think we'll be hearing more from him as time goes by for sure.

harloo
Feb 26th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Colin Powell is just confirming what we all knew which was that he was a tool for this administration. Honestly, if anybody did not believe that he and now Condi were both Affirmative Action quotas for this administration then they have to be blind.:)

Hulet
Feb 26th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Colin Powell is just confirming what we all knew which was that he was a tool for this administration. Honestly, if anybody did not believe that he and now Condi were both Affirmative Action quotas for this administration then they have to be blind.:)
LOL. Both of them are/were in the same boat (no influence over the administrations foreign policy, just spokespersons), but why did I feel sympathy for Powell then but am totally irritated by Rice now? :confused:

RVD
Feb 27th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Colin Powell is just confirming what we all knew which was that he was a tool for this administration. Honestly, if anybody did not believe that he and now Condi were both Affirmative Action quotas for this administration then they have to be blind.:)And now Condi Rice-a-roni has graduated to being an even bigger tool. :lol:
I wonder why Colin is speaking up now? :confused: The administration can still get to him if they wanted. :scared:

Kabezya
Feb 27th, 2005, 07:14 AM
LOL. Both of them are/were in the same boat (no influence over the administrations foreign policy, just spokespersons), but why did I feel sympathy for Powell then but am totally irritated by Rice now? :confused:

For me, I think I had sympathy or at least feeling for Colin because I truly believed in the beginning that he was that white dove of peace in an adminstration intent on war, destruction, and imposing their will/ways on others. I felt as long as Colin Powell was there, there would be a chance of something and I think that some in the internation community listened more than they would have because the face and word of Colin Powell was what they had to deal with at times. He had a sense of integrity and you could respect it. Ms. Rice is one person I've never had anything nice to say about probably because I've never seen anything in her that was positive or right.

Helas
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:21 AM
If you want to know Colin Powells feelings on the Iraq war you should read Plan of Attack (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/074325547X/qid=1109506728/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-3104121-4245400?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) by Bob Woodward.

It's very interesting.